• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's 1.4 million pounds x2 it could have been used elsewhere, but a man chose to withhold the truth in an attempt to get elected first then come clean. If this is ok then go out and cost your employer money and watch wot happens to you when your found out with nowhere to hide.

This will have come from the budget for the department of the civil service which carries out these inquiries. It's not like the Chancellor has had to write a cheque for this and move funds from the NHS for it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This whole affair is incredibly decadent. No one comes out looking good.

Why are and were people getting so worked up about Sturgeon preferred one party to win over another, anyway?

No idea. If anyone should get worked up it's the Nats because it was a daft strategy, if the aim was to maximise influence at Westminster.

TheMaganator

This whole affair is incredibly decadent. No one comes out looking good.

Why are and were people getting so worked up about Sturgeon preferred one party to win over another, anyway?

Because she spent so much time talking about how utterly terrible the Tories were.

For her to say that - but say in private she wants them to win makes her a hypocritical shite.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

No idea. If anyone should get worked up it's the Nats because it was a daft strategy, if the aim was to maximise influence at Westminster.

The Nats were messed either way - they exaggerated their alleged prospective "influence". 

Because she spent so much time talking about how utterly terrible the Tories were.

For her to say that - but say in private she wants them to win makes her a hypocritical shite.

So she's a politician? Okay. It's just like the Carmichael affair - people are desperate to be offended by something.

Ironically, it continues to distract those who say we should go after the SNP on policy from actually doing that. :lol: No wonder the SNP are doing so well when the other parties are so woefully organised. 

There was nothing vital about this leak - it was a deliberate act to smear Sturgeon and a clear indication, rightly as it turns out, that the rival parties feared her popularity.

The speed with which Labour seized upon this suggests they were primed. And don't think Mundell wouldn't have known what was going in, either.

Carmichael is finished and few will miss the fatuous arsehole. He only clings on for now because the MSM - Sunday Herald apart - are curiously mute on this affair. Strange...

Mute? The Scotland on Sunday had 3 pages and an editorial dedicated to it. The Sunday Mail had a double page spread compared to half a page on educational failings and a page long interview with Kezia Dugdale and the Observor had an article on it too. Now that's two major Scottish Sunday papers and a national paper covering it. Those are the three papers I buy weekly. Occasionally a Sunday Herald - which went with it as its front cover like the SoS did. From reading Twitter etc, the independent, telegraph, times and sun also covered it in their papers.

This hasn't been swept under the rug.

Yes he's an arsehole for what he's done. But the processes that work to investigate this on a parliamentary basis are still ongoing. How about we let due process roll on and wait and see what they say?

The Scottish Labour Party would've jumped on doctored photos of Salmond punching a dolphin if they'd found them on the Internet. The campaign, as many insiders have said, was a disastrous panic stricken flop with no leadership. Because they jumped on something doesn't suggest a conspiracy. They've teams of folk looking at papers and in contact with the papers working on the next spin to happen. As all parties do.

And what a shock, a group of non-SNP politicians and non SNP supporting papers sought to undermine her credibility and popularity. The Sun ran photos of Ed Miliband eating a bacon sandwich daily.

No one comes out of this looking good. But it's interesting that the SNP are gunning for Mundell now who the report seems to suggest knew little of this as it was part of a wider LibDem attempt to smear the Tories and the SNP with official leaks. The report doesn't seem to put him in the wrong. So why is his position being attacked on the back of this?

Edited by JamboX2

Again, what is the source of the ?1.4m figure? The only people I have seen stating it have been pro independence. Is there anything official?

Not read it in the papers myself today. Probably an msm conspiracy though...

TheMaganator

The Nats were messed either way - they exaggerated their alleged prospective "influence".

So she's a politician? Okay. It's just like the Carmichael affair - people are desperate to be offended by something.

Ironically, it continues to distract those who say we should go after the SNP on policy from actually doing that. :lol: No wonder the SNP are doing so well when the other parties are so woefully organised.

To a certain extent - but they've made such a big deal about hating the Tories that I think this makes things different.

They even mentioned never doing anything to help get a Tory government in their manifesto. They've gained a lot of support by peddling an anti Tory message. To then say in private that she'd prefer a Tory government would be astonishing.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

To a certain extent - but they've made such a big deal about hating the Tories that I think this makes things different.

They even mentioned never doing anything to help get a Tory government in their manifesto. They've gained a lot of support by peddling an anti Tory message. To then say in private that she'd prefer a Tory government would be astonishing.

So is this more serious than Cameron carping on about "no top-down reorganisation of the NHS" pre-2010 and then doing it? Or less? 

I want to be outraged but can someone tell me what makes me outraged?

1) He leaked the document

2) He lied about leaking it

3) Sturgeon told the french ambassador she preferred the tories

4) Sturgeon prefers the tories

He shouldn't have lied. But wake the F up people that is not the story here. 

Edited by IMac

To be honest, a Tory government is what the SNP would prefer from a political perspective as it plays to their narrative well. Looking at the fact the SNP were dragged into mitigating the bedroom tax by Labour and the Greens in Scotland shows that to a degree the fact that it suits them for two reasons:

1. It fosters division and a feeling of two nations.

2. The Tories are a bugbear for Scots - rightly or wrongly - and it's the easy scapegoat as a result.

So we shouldn't be surprised she felt that way if so. I never thought they wanted to really work closely with a Labour minority because it could backfire and undermine the need for independence - Westminster is listening and acting doesn't fit with the unresponsive, corrupt backwater chat they like to use.

There is also the case, and I think Salmonds earlier position of we will work with whoever in getting more powers shows this, that the SNP seem to think they can get a better devolution deal from the Tories and they are trying that a lot at the moment. Osbourne is actively decentralising power. Wales is set to get more powers. Northern Ireland too. Labour, wrongly, is instinctively suspicious of devolution at Westminster because they can't see how else to achieve social solidarity and equality across the UK with multiple governments and centres of power.

That aim to the SNP and Tories is second place to economic competitiveness and so the two can easily work closer than with Labour on devolving more power to Scotland. I think you will see that in the coming months.

coconut doug

But she didn't say that she wanted the Tories in power. Absolutely nobody involved accuses her of saying it . That has been pointed out on here several times. Are you saying you don't believe Sturgeon, the Ambassador, the Consul and Carmichael when they say that she did not say it? Are you saying you do not believe the Civil servant when he said that he may have lost something in translation. Are you going to support your ludicrous assertion on a badly worded statement taken out of context instead?

TheMaganator

So is this more serious than Cameron carping on about "no top-down reorganisation of the NHS" pre-2010 and then doing it? Or less?

More.

Though had Cameron been saying in private at the time that he was looking forward to getting in to reorganise the NHS in that way it'd be eaksy-peaksy.

It's one thing doing something differently than you said you would when you get in power - but it's quite another to say on Monday morning 'a Tory government would be devastating for Scotland' and then saying privately on the Monday afternoon that you hope it's a Tory government.

TheMaganator

But she didn't say that she wanted the Tories in power. Absolutely nobody involved accuses her of saying it . That has been pointed out on here several times. Are you saying you don't believe Sturgeon, the Ambassador, the Consul and Carmichael when they say that she did not say it? Are you saying you do not believe the Civil servant when he said that he may have lost something in translation. Are you going to support your ludicrous assertion on a badly worded statement taken out of context instead?

I didn't say she did.

Go back and read the thread and untwist your knickers.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

More.

Okay.

Wait, haud on now...

Though had Cameron been saying in private at the time that he was looking forward to getting in to reorganise the NHS in that way it'd be eaksy-peaksy.

It's one thing doing something differently than you said you would when you get in power - but it's quite another to say on Monday morning 'a Tory government would be devastating for Scotland' and then saying privately on the Monday afternoon that you hope it's a Tory government.

What? So it's the same. :lol: You've had a bit of a nightmare here.

It's okay to admit it's the same - no one is going to doubt your staunch anti-SNP credentials. :lol:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

People are very easily distracted by the shiny shiny, crap, real-life episode(s) of House of Cards.

Psychedelicropcircle

This will have come from the budget for the department of the civil service which carries out these inquiries. It's not like the Chancellor has had to write a cheque for this and move funds from the NHS for it.

So it's ok for politicians to hand down austerity but they'll hold back millions to waste on enquires that expose them as liars. The were in it together quote comes to mind.

One of the most disturbing aspects of the whole affair is Carmichael's comment that had he currently been in a ministerial post, he would have resigned. Presumably because his integrity is shot.

It's OK, though, for him to carry on representing the people of Orkney and Shetland, he thinks. Because integrity doesn't matter to them? The fact that he lied through his teeth is irrelevant to his position as an MP? Business as usual? It certainly offers an insight into the amount of respect he has for his constituents.

TheMaganator

Okay.

Wait, haud on now...

What? So it's the same. :lol: You've had a bit of a nightmare here.

It's okay to admit it's the same - no one is going to doubt your staunch anti-SNP credentials. :lol:

It would be the same if he was saying he wasn't going to do it but privately saying (at the same time) that he was going to.

Maybe he was.

But if he wasn't and he was not planning to do something - but when he got into power he did it (aka Cleggy & tuition) because of other factors that's different IMO.

But I don't know what the reality was at the time.

coconut doug

I didn't say she did.

Go back and read the thread and untwist your knickers.

Perhaps you can explain what you meant when you said this.

Who was speaking to whom in private about wanting the Tories to win?  Who is this "hypocritical shite"?  Have I taken you out of context?

So it's ok for politicians to hand down austerity but they'll hold back millions to waste on enquires that expose them as liars. The were in it together quote comes to mind.

Can you justify the cost you keep quoting? Not seen a cost given anywhere else.

Secondly, no it's not ok to lie. But this money isn't robbing anyone else or other budgets or the like. It's money in a budget set aside for civil service inquiries and parliamentary standards. ?1.4 million is a drop in the ocean of government spending. The SNP are closing down services the poorest rely through their political choices to give tax breaks to the middle class and those who own big properties through a council tax freeze which is underfunded, whilst retaining ?440 million of underspend. All in this together there?

you do realise 3&4 are lies, from a memo made by a libdem cv ,then permitted to be leaked by a libdem mp to smear the snp and the fm for political gain.

You can now sack your mp.

So only over 18 Uk'ers, & non eu national residents eligible to vote in the euroref.

you do realise 3&4 are lies, from a memo made by a libdem cv ,then permitted to be leaked by a libdem mp to smear the snp and the fm for political gain.

the civil servant wrote it. They stand by the memo.

Why shouldn't it be leaked?

The Real Maroonblood

So only over 18 Uk'ers, & non eu national residents eligible to vote in the euroref.

I agree that only UK citizens will only be allowed to vote.

I agree that only UK citizens will only be allowed to vote.

So only ukers is that what youre saying?. No yanks, aussies etc...

If thats what youre saying, well next indyref, you know...

Edited by aussieh

The Real Maroonblood

So only ukers is that what youre saying?. No yanks, aussies etc...

Yes.

I'm not saying it would've changed the outcome of our referendum but I think it was a mistake letting any Tom,Dick and Harry vote.

I think 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote in this referendum

the civil servant wrote it. They stand by the memo.

Why shouldn't it be leaked?

A third hand talk about a conversation between 2 people.

The memoist, and the consul were not there, and was made aware it could be lost in translation.

So stand by it. utter tosh.

FM and Ambassador say its pish.

jambos are go!

The memoist, and the consul were not there, and was made aware it could be lost in translation.

Are you aware that you are suggesting that any kind of enquiry by an independent third party on any subject is worthless. That would include the finding of  Carmichael guilty if he had denied it!! 

Edited by jambos are go!

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk

You can't sack your MP. The Bill hasn't been passed yet to become law yet. So your point on the right of recall is wrong.

As is your accusation of the memo. It was an official civil service transcript of the meeting between the FM and Sturgeon, all political figures have their diplomatic discussions recorded. The FM was no different and the report said it was an accurate account of the conversation.

The Civil Service report said it was an accurate recording of the conversation and its content shouldn't be questioned.

An ambassador of a foreign nation is never going to become involved in another nation's domestic politics as it would destroy the neutral standing they are meant to hold, but part of their job is to learn all they can and report back to home on the views and opinions of another nation's political establishment to help guide that nations policies toward the other nation. In this case between the UK and France at a time of political shift where the SNP are growing and the Labour Party and Tories are somewhat in decline.

It serves neither side well to admit to it. However, that doesn't escape from he fact that the report said it was an accurate recording of the discussion and that it was a conversation held in English. So the report slams Carmichael (rightly so) and shows Sturgeon up as she and the SNP deny the veracity of the memo (which the report holds up as truthful).

And why the SNP should deny that politically for them a Tory government isn't the dream position to be in is frankly disingenuous because it suits their political narrative and to them provides a quicker exit from the UK. Damn the consequences it's about the end game now. A Labour minority working with them and being responsive would've undermined the narrative of Westminster doesn't listen to Scotland.

No one comes out of this well at all. So political point scoring is useless here.

my point is it should be public record. If it is false then those involved can deny it. No harm done. Secrets are an front to democracy.

Regarding the Carmichael thing - he lied, end of.  Should he resign?  Nothing to make him, but may not sit well at next years Scottish elections.

Back to more important things, not sure if anyone read this yesterday?  Stiglitz is surely a respected voice to listen to?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/may/24/joseph-stiglitz-interview-uk-economy-lost-decade-zero-growth

I don't think the lie is one which warrants the level of outrage being dished out here. I also don't think his constituents are in a position to cry foul as they knew this was all going on at the time they elected him.

If the authorities punish him they will have a vote. If they don't they won't. At that stage it's up to Carmichael to justify his position. But to say the people were misled is a bit far considering they knew he was up for investigation on this.

You don't really get it do you. Or you're being deliberately obtuse...

Not until after the election did he admit to his lying. And only then because he had no other choice. D'you really think the same number of folk would have voted for him had that admission been made pre-election? In addition to this the 1.4 million cost of the enquiry that he could have halted by 'fessing up in the first place. (Yes, I know some on here have queried the cost of the enquiry - until I see some evidence that it DIDN'T cost 1.4 million that's the commonly-accepted figure I'l quote).

If Carmichael had owned up to this leak prior to the vote I very much doubt he would have had a chance to retain his seat. He was quite happy to allow the tax payer to fund the investigation so he could fraudulently win the election. If he does survive he will do considerable damage to the Lib Dem's reputation in the isles and will never be trusted by a large percentage of his constituents.

I still cant figure out why on earth he got himself in this position. I wonder if others are equally as guilty but Carmichael is being forced to take the fall, its all a bit strange. Maybe it was just the "Project Fear" mind set.

If Carmichael had owned up to this leak prior to the vote I very much doubt he would have had a chance to retain his seat. He was quite happy to allow the tax payer to fund the investigation so he could fraudulently win the election. If he does survive he will do considerable damage to the Lib Dem's reputation in the isles and will never be trusted by a large percentage of his constituents.

I still cant figure out why on earth he got himself in this position. I wonder if others are equally as guilty but Carmichael is being forced to take the fall, its all a bit strange. Maybe it was just the "Project Fear" mind set.

As someone said earlier, how much did Mundell know?

You don't really get it do you. Or you're being deliberately obtuse...

Not until after the election did he admit to his lying. And only then because he had no other choice. D'you really think the same number of folk would have voted for him had that admission been made pre-election? In addition to this the 1.4 million cost of the enquiry that he could have halted by 'fessing up in the first place. (Yes, I know some on here have queried the cost of the enquiry - until I see some evidence that it DIDN'T cost 1.4 million that's the commonly-accepted figure I'l quote).

We can't know that. Perhaps he would've lost. But the fact he was under pressure and investigation for wrongdoing at the time of the election is inescapable.

As Boris says, he was caught red handed, there's no compulsion on him to resign his seat. That is his choice. That's my only point.

My point on the cost is that it's unsubstantiated. No one here quoting it has shown proof of that. These costs are also covered by the civil service budget. It's a budget for such things happening. If it hadn't been spent on this inquiry it would be spent on any similar inquiry to come.

We can't know that. Perhaps he would've lost. But the fact he was under pressure and investigation for wrongdoing at the time of the election is inescapable.

As Boris says, he was caught red handed, there's no compulsion on him to resign his seat. That is his choice. That's my only point.

My point on the cost is that it's unsubstantiated. No one here quoting it has shown proof of that. These costs are also covered by the civil service budget. It's a budget for such things happening. If it hadn't been spent on this inquiry it would be spent on any similar inquiry to come.

Were he still Scottish Secretary, then i think his position as that would have become untenable.

Were he still Scottish Secretary, then i think his position as that would have become untenable.

He'd have had to resign his position in cabinet as his role is a bridge between the Scottish and UK governments.

That's not to say he'd have had to resign his seat though.

He's definitely been chucked under the bus over this - this was a tri-party leak and no mistake. Halt the SNP surge at all costs and the hapless Carmichael could expect a quiet peerage once the dust had settled if he lost his seat and/or ended up having to fall on his sword.

This wasn't just any old smear or leak - this broke election law and the Purdah period. The thing is, though, that the electorate saw all the dirty tricks, smears, scare tactics and negative campaigning of "project fear" during the referendum and knew a red herring when they smelt one.

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk

You can't sack your MP. The Bill hasn't been passed yet to become law yet. So your point on the right of recall is wrong.

As is your accusation of the memo. It was an official civil service transcript of the meeting between the FM and Sturgeon, all political figures have their diplomatic discussions recorded. The FM was no different and the report said it was an accurate account of the conversation.

The Civil Service report said it was an accurate recording of the conversation and its content shouldn't be questioned.

An ambassador of a foreign nation is never going to become involved in another nation's domestic politics as it would destroy the neutral standing they are meant to hold, but part of their job is to learn all they can and report back to home on the views and opinions of another nation's political establishment to help guide that nations policies toward the other nation. In this case between the UK and France at a time of political shift where the SNP are growing and the Labour Party and Tories are somewhat in decline.

It serves neither side well to admit to it. However, that doesn't escape from he fact that the report said it was an accurate recording of the discussion and that it was a conversation held in English. So the report slams Carmichael (rightly so) and shows Sturgeon up as she and the SNP deny the veracity of the memo (which the report holds up as truthful).

And why the SNP should deny that politically for them a Tory government isn't the dream position to be in is frankly disingenuous because it suits their political narrative and to them provides a quicker exit from the UK. Damn the consequences it's about the end game now. A Labour minority working with them and being responsive would've undermined the narrative of Westminster doesn't listen to Scotland.

No one comes out of this well at all. So political point scoring is useless here.

The memo, the memo is incorrect, and recall has been passed, Nick Cleggs baby, suspension of more than 10 days, and 10% of his constituency can petition for a by-election.

The memo, the memo is incorrect, and recall has been passed, Nick Cleggs baby, suspension of more than 10 days, and 10% of his constituency can petition for a by-election.

As the article I linked shows that position is not the case and added to that the report slamming Carmichael says the memo is an accurate recording of the conversation.

Very good article. Has the neo-con capitalist baw burst?

Not yet. But soon Boris, in Spain and Italy and Greece it may well do.

The fear is, as Mason says, that burst baw could weaken EU at a time we need the EU to be strong.

Edited by JamboX2

coconut doug

As the article I linked shows that position is not the case and added to that the report slamming Carmichael says the memo is an accurate recording of the conversation.

Your claim "the report said it was an accurate account of the conversation" is simply not true. You have done what many in the right wing media have done, deliberately or otherwise, and taken a partial quote and changed the context. Actually the report stated that the "memo was an accurate record of the conversation that took place between him and the French Consul General" When referring to the conversation between Sturgeon and the Ambassador the report stated that part of it had been lost in translation.

The truth is that when referring to the role of the civil servant the report stated

He confirmed under questioning that he believed that the memo was an accurate record of the conversation that took place between him and the French Consul General, and highlighted that the memo had stated that part of the conversation between the French Ambassador and the First Minister might well have been "lost in translation". 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/scotland-office-memorandum-leak-cabinet-office-inquiry-statement

What the civil servant is saying is that he did not make the statement up but that some of the original conversation had been lost in translation. Clearly the bit lost in translation is the bit all parties say did not happen. It is entirely possible that the civil servant or French Consul  made a mistake. The civil servant did after all write in the memo that some of the  conversation was "lost in transation" It is not in any way credible that all other parties are lying to protect Sturgeon from this totally ludicrous assertion.

This of course makes Carmichael's position totally untenable.

In short, he leaked something he knew was almost certainly wrong but could be damaging to the First Minister of the country he was Secretary of State for.

He denied being the source of the leak and tried to blame it on a civil servant.

He allowed a costly enquiry to continue wasting the Cabinet Secretary's time knowing that it would expose him as the source of the leak.

He risked diplomatic difficulties by compromising the Ambassador and the Consul.

By behaving the way he did he managed to scrape home as the only Lib Dem M.P. in the country presumably because many of his constituents believed him when he denied involvement.

And as Aussieh and others have said the "memo is incorrect" We know its incorrect because the person who wrote says it might be and everybody else involved denies that Sturgeon said she would prefer a Tory government. Above all though we know it is incorrect because the government report says it is incorrect when it states that part of it is lost in translation. 

The real issue is though the behaviour of the former SOS for Scotland. I can't imagine anybody knowing the facts, would want to be represented by him.

TheMaganator

And they've got big plans for Question Time this week

:cornette:

4614B240-6E89-4B98-8281-B461C8EAD0FE_zps

Edited by TheMaganator