• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Sidestepped another post, I see.

Sorry, I'm talking to you. Which post would you like me to reply to?

We may well. But unless the deficiencies in the Yes campaign are actually addressed it'll be another defeat. And one of those is currency union - rUK voters polled at around 65% opposed to such an idea - they need to address the failings of their campaign, be more honest, less confrontational, more open and willing to admit that they need the good will of others as much as any "sovereign will".

I reckon more would vote Yes if those pushing independence said "we don't know for certain, but if we don't get currency union we will look to alternatives like euro or our own currency / automatic EU membership then we will apply for membership" and so on.

Over the next year we will hear the SNP rerun all of the arguments they criticised Better Together for.

It's going to be very :jj:

Yup we will and it'll be interesting to see why EU membership is better than UK membership if the same arguments can be applied to the EU as it can the UK.

Here we are about 5 posts later and you still haven't addressed the video.

Have you watched it? Humour me. It's 40 seconds.

:rofl:

Aye, before I forget, your Leader DavyC pre indyref, and after, especially the anti Scots rhetoric to win votes in England.

Aye you keep banging on son.

Yup we will and it'll be interesting to see why EU membership is better than UK membership if the same arguments can be applied to the EU as it can the UK.

vice versa.

I'd rather have an Indy Scotland part of the EU than be part of the UK, full stop.

vice versa.

I'd rather have an Indy Scotland part of the EU than be part of the UK, full stop.

You would be replacing Westminster with Brussels. Edited by GBJambo

TheMaganator

Aye, before I forget, your Leader DavyC pre indyref, and after, especially the anti Scots rhetoric to win votes in England.

6 posts

TheMaganator

You would be replacing Westminster with Brussels.

But those in Brussels don't have English accents

freddiemac

vice versa.

why? Nonsensical to sensible people.

Arnold Rothstein

Are you again confusing the SNP with Scotland? Cameron had a very anti SNP run up to the GE as you would expect. I didn't hear anything scathing on Scots generally though.

Are you again confusing the SNP with Scotland? Cameron had a very anti SNP run up to the GE as you would expect. I didn't hear anything scathing on Scots generally though.

no confusion.

jambos are go!

Yes supporters are trying to ignore a 55:45 defeat in the Referendum. Can I ask them to say what fgure above 50% they would consider sufficient to bring about independence?

Deaf ears mate. Whilst I agree with you, many won't see it that way and it will be and is being conflated as anti-Scottish not anti-SNP. Again it's better politics to conflate the two for gain. Anyone else would do that. Tories conflated Labour wanting business to pay their fair share or higher wages to workers as anti-business. It's the same game. Just with nationalism.

On the EU. I'm for it. There's things nations in the modern world are limited in achieving themselves - defence, regulating the free market, international development, green energy, consumer rights, equality of workers rights etc are all areas where we are increasingly dependent on others for. France is, the UK is, Germany is, Ireland is, Sweden is, Greece, Belarus, Japan, Australia, Brazil, South Africa and so on and so forth.

On a lot of these issues the EU is key. It's got to be a strong union and a fair union. A union which acts for the good of all - it's got to be more proactive and engage fully in a resolution to conflicts in Syria, Libya and the migration crisis and in quelling the increasingly worrying disintegration of the EU from within.

The EU is a great thing to be in. Needs reformed and needs made more accountable and open. But you only get that from working from within.

Much like the UK. You can reform it, make it better. But you can only do that from within. An old Liberal phrase but I'm all for a federal Britain in a more federal Europe.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Yes supporters are trying to ignore a 55:45 defeat in the Referendum. Can I ask them to say what fgure above 50% they would consider sufficient to bring about independence?

:cornette:

Snp must be loving the Carmichael nonsense taking all the attention away from the current health and education disasters entirely of their making.

Has any politician had an easier ride than Sturgeon in her first few month's leadership? Her opponents are doing all the work for her by imploding and taking any scrutiny off the Scottish Government Governments failings in key areas.

Did we cover Marco Biagis disgraceful comments already? I've been away.

Edited by jambo1185

So fancy pointing me in the direction of the PM's "anti Scots rhetoric"?

If you don't think attacks on The SNP, doesn't equate to anti Scottish sentiment, you're either blind, naive, or live in la la land. Edited by aussieh

On the EU and the in-out referendum in the next few years, is this about right? Labour, the Libdems, the SNP, the Greens and even the Government want to remain in Europe?

TheMaganator

On the EU and the in-out referendum in the next few years, is this about right? Labour, the Libdems, the SNP, the Greens and even the Government want to remain in Europe?

Yup. Thought there's a few rogues in all parties who probably want out but won't say so publicly.

But officially UKIP are the only ones wanting out as a party.

Ukip will win this.

Cool, so Sturgeon will be working alongside all the other leaders and parties to make the case for the UK remaining in the EU then. This has nothing to do with her compatriots rejecting Independence last year.

Edited by pablo

Cool, so Sturgeon will be working alongside all the other leaders and parties to make the case for the UK remaining in the EU then. This has nothing to do with her compatriots rejecting Independence last year.

The SNP will be campaigning shoulder to shoulder with the Tories in Scotland to remain in the EU.

The SNP will be campaigning shoulder to shoulder with the Tories in Scotland to remain in the EU.

Why only in Scotland? Don't you think she'll be active at a UK level, making the case for the UK remaining in the EU? It'll be disappointing if this is used by the Nationalists to cause more division .

Edited by pablo

deesidejambo

Why only in Scotland? Don't you think she'll be active at a UK level, making the case for the UK remaining in the EU? It'll be disappointing if this is used by the Nationalists to cause more division .

This is a major problem for Nicola.  To get Independence she needs the vote to be "Out", but as a Pro EU LEader, she will be campaigining for "In"!

Gorgiewave

If you don't think attacks on The SNP, doesn't equate to anti Scottish sentiment, you're either blind, naive, or live in la la land.

Do you folks actually...believe what you say?

The hangover when this is all over will be better than winning the Cup.

Gorgiewave

Disappointing but as unsurprising as a last minute winner for Celtic.

TheMaganator

SNP press release: the '56 MPs will today wear white rose made famous by Scots poet Hugh MacDiarmid in ?The Little White Rose of Scotland?.'

In the 1920s, MacDiarmid openly supported fascist causes (he wrote 'A plea for a Scottish Fascism')

In 1940 claimed the British and French middle classes were a far greater enemy to Scotland than Nazi Germany.

A year later, he wrote: 'On balance I regard the Axis powers, tho' more violently evil for the time being, less dangerous than our own government on the long run and indistinguishable in its purpose'

He listed - amongst his hobbies - Anglophobia.

Crack on, guys

deesidejambo

SNP press release: the '56 MPs will today wear white rose made famous by Scots poet Hugh MacDiarmid in ?The Little White Rose of Scotland?.'

In the 1920s, MacDiarmid openly supported fascist causes (he wrote 'A plea for a Scottish Fascism')

In 1940 claimed the British and French middle classes were a far greater enemy to Scotland than Nazi Germany.

A year later, he wrote: 'On balance I regard the Axis powers, tho' more violently evil for the time being, less dangerous than our own government on the long run and indistinguishable in its purpose'

Crack on, guys

Lots of SNP support is gained through grievance.      Stereotypical whining low IQ Jocks moaning about how badly they have been treated by the evil Tory Toffs.    

Gorgiewave

Lots of SNP support is gained through grievance.      Stereotypical whining low IQ Jocks moaning about how badly they have been treated by the evil Tory Toffs.    

The more independent their minds, the more they turn away from the MSM's lies and DTOR, the more they come to the exact same conclusions with the exact same arguments.

TheMaganator

The more independent their minds, the more they turn away from the MSM's lies and DTOR, the more they come to the exact same conclusions with the exact same arguments.

Fed up with bias reporting in the MSM, they turn to Wings, Business for Scotland and the National to get their 'balanced' coverage. 

Then they scream from the rooftops about how well informed and educated they are...

We've seen it hundreds of times on these threads

Nationalists peddling myths as propaganda, eh?

Shockeroonie

I thought it was already widely known that the source of the 1.4 Million figure was Labour MP Paul Flyn. Carmichael refuted the cost in his recent interview with radio Orkney and said the Cabinet Office would have no difficulty providing the real figure. It would appear however that so far the Cabinet Office are not willing to release this info or give an explanation why it took so long to complete the investigation so people have tended to quote this figure.

I look forward to finding out the actual detail of the investigation, it will hopefully help clarify exactly what went on and if Carmichael was a lone wolf abusing his position of power to influence the result of a general election or did others sanction this smear.

Nookie Bear

Crack on, guys

The SNP are fast becoming the Green Brigade of British politics. Posturing, empty gestures with no substance.

The ridiculous thing is that they have a mandate to really fight Scotland's corner but so far all I see is nonsense.

Crack on, guys

Hugh MacDiarmid is one of the finest poets ever to come from these shores.

Surprised you never mentioned his communist years (Krassivy, Krassivy a personal favourite of mine) 

Your selective quoting of wikipedia is astonishing.

In 2010, letters were discovered showing that he believed a Nazi invasion of Britain would benefit Scotland. In a letter sent from Whalsay, Shetland, in April 1941, he wrote: ?On balance I regard the Axis powers, tho? more violently evil for the time being, less dangerous than our own government in the long run and indistinguishable in purpose." A year earlier, in June 1940, he wrote: ?Although the Germans are appalling enough, they cannot win, but the British and French bourgeoisie can and they are a far greater enemy. If the Germans win they could not hold their gain for long, but if the French and British win it will be infinitely more difficult to get rid of them.? Marc Horne in the Daily Telegraph commented: "MacDiarmid flirted with fascism in his early thirties, when he believed it was a doctrine of the left. In two articles written in 1923, Plea for a Scottish Fascism and Programme for a Scottish Fascism, he appeared to support Mussolini?s regime. By the 1930s however, following Mussolini?s lurch to the right, his position had changed and he castigated Neville Chamberlain over his appeasement of Hitler?s expansionism."[4] Deirdre Grieve, MacDiarmid?s daughter-in-law and literary executor, noted: ?I think he entertained almost every ideal it was possible to entertain at one point or another."

And as an aside Mag, the Uncle of the woman in your picture was far more a Nazi than MacDiarmid ever was, as were members of the party you support.

Edited by Boris

Unknown user

I see that the charm offensive to win these voters back is in full swing

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If anti-SNP sentiment equals anti-Scottish sentiment then it stands to reason that anti-Westminster sentiment equals anti-English sentiment.

Everyone knows that Scottish nationalism is driven by a dislike of the English. People try to deny that but it's a fact.

TheMaganator

Hugh MacDiarmid is one of the finest poets ever to come from these shores.

Surprised you never mentioned his communist years (Krassivy, Krassivy a personal favourite of mine)

Your selective quoting of wikipedia is astonishing.

In 2010, letters were discovered showing that he believed a Nazi invasion of Britain would benefit Scotland. In a letter sent from Whalsay, Shetland, in April 1941, he wrote: ?On balance I regard the Axis powers, tho? more violently evil for the time being, less dangerous than our own government in the long run and indistinguishable in purpose." A year earlier, in June 1940, he wrote: ?Although the Germans are appalling enough, they cannot win, but the British and French bourgeoisie can and they are a far greater enemy. If the Germans win they could not hold their gain for long, but if the French and British win it will be infinitely more difficult to get rid of them.? Marc Horne in the Daily Telegraph commented: "MacDiarmid flirted with fascism in his early thirties, when he believed it was a doctrine of the left. In two articles written in 1923, Plea for a Scottish Fascism and Programme for a Scottish Fascism, he appeared to support Mussolini?s regime. By the 1930s however, following Mussolini?s lurch to the right, his position had changed and he castigated Neville Chamberlain over his appeasement of Hitler?s expansionism."[4] Deirdre Grieve, MacDiarmid?s daughter-in-law and literary executor, noted: ?I think he entertained almost every ideal it was possible to entertain at one point or another."

And as an aside Mag, the Uncle of the woman in your picture was far more a Nazi than MacDiarmid ever was, as were members of the party you support.

At least you accept the guy was odious.

Does the Tory party honour their former fascists with a lecture at their annual party conference? Or wear tributes to them on their lapels?

You can't help your family, Boris. So I don't see what you're getting at.

At least you accept the guy was odious.

Does the Tory party honour their former fascists with a lecture at their annual party conference? Or wear tributes to them on their lapels?

You can't help your family, Boris. So I don't see what you're getting at.

Not sure where I said he was odious!

MacDiarmid was a founder member of National Party of Scotland (whilst still being a member of the CPGB!) hence the affection shown by the current SNP.

My point is that the British ruling elite would have quite happily cuddled up to Nazism.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not sure where I said he was odious!

MacDiarmid was a founder member of National Party of Scotland (whilst still being a member of the CPGB!) hence the affection shown by the current SNP.

My point is that the British ruling elite would have quite happily cuddled up to Nazism.

Doesn't change the fact that he did too

Nookie Bear

Macdiarmid saw the advance of fasism as a tool for kicking down the British state and opening the door for nationalism.

A bit like the current SNP need economic pain to meet their own objectives

Alan Johnson

So the SNP are currently sitting in Westminster honouring this poem:

"Now when London is threatened,
With devastation from the air
I realise, horror atrophying me,
That I hardly care"

Is that not basically tantamount to treason?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

So the SNP are currently sitting in Westminster honouring this poem:

"Now when London is threatened,

With devastation from the air

I realise, horror atrophying me,

That I hardly care"

Is that not basically tantamount to treason?

:lol:

No. But it does reveal the SNP's true colours.