The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

jambo1185

You seem to have overlooked the fact that nearly 200,000 college places have been lost to meet the cost of free tuition. These kids have no tuition never mind free tuition. Another couple of points.

Didn't you know that these places don't actually matter, because they just relate to "hobby courses" and part-time places? Apparently, the SNP don't consider that going to college to learn new or different skills to help you get the job you want, or a new job (such as a hairdresser, a florist or a beauty therapist), or perhaps going to college part-time to get new skills because you already have a job, or maybe you have been out of work for a long time raising a family and still have childcare commitments and feel you need to 'update' your education or try something new, are remotely worthwhile.

So it's ok, we are just getting rid of those college places our government don't think are useful, and the people who would want to do and benefit from those courses don't really matter either. Far better they go to uni to get a degree that won't actually help their job prospects, or just go and do some unskilled work for low pay with little or no job satisfaction.

Edited by jambo1185

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorgiewave

You seem to have overlooked the fact that nearly 200,000 college places have been lost to meet the cost of free tuition. These kids have no tuition never mind free tuition. Another couple of points.

You can develop a more progressive approach to tuition fees so that charges are varied according to means. Also as someone said Labours Educational Endownment Scheme recommended in the Cubie report enjoyed wide support and Andrew Cubie got a standing ovation at the NUS.

Repayment terms for Student Loans and fees are extremely generous and students dont pay unless they can and can obtain payment holidays in tough times. Im pretty sure I read an article saying that 50% of fee debt will never be repaid. A parent who choses to take over student debt would be just as well saving the money and fund repsyments if and when they become due.

The SNP policy is purely populist and nobody will ever persuade me that a student who has enjoyed funding worth many thousands of pounds from their parents to attend public schools should enjoy free higher education tuition fees whilst a couple of hundred thousand places are denied to other kids.

Yes, paying 67 pounds per month while earning 30,000 (2.68% of income) is not a great burden.

Interest on Plan 1 You currently pay interest of 1.5% on Plan 1.

Plan 2 Your income per year Monthly repayments

?21,000 and under ?0

?25,000 ?30

?30,000 ?67

?50,000 ?217

Stuart Lyon

Queen Nicola saying there is now way the SNP will win every seat. If that is true then it will shatter a few dreams of their supporters. Oh and remember the SNP are always right so her view must be accepted.

Gorgiewave

Queen Nicola saying there is now way the SNP will win every seat. If that is true then it will shatter a few dreams of their supporters. Oh and remember the SNP are always right so her view must be accepted.

The more seats they win the more they are part of the hated, evil, remote Westminster system.

Gorgiewave

What happened in 1603 again? Was that when Henry VIII invaded Scotland and became King of Scots?

What is pathetic is the suggestion that only you want what is best for Scotland. We might disagree on the route to our own Nirvanah but, for the moment, we live in a democracy where differences of opinion are tolerated.

Where?, not WM by the sounds of it.

Do you think you're winning people round to you way of thinking? This all just seems a bit counterproductive.

What happened in 1603 again? Was that when Henry VIII invaded Scotland and became King of Scots?

:D

The great thing about this election is that I want everyone to lose and it looks likely that is exactly what is going to happen.

jambo1185

Do you think you're winning people round to you way of thinking? This all just seems a bit counterproductive.

I know. I mean I actually quite like her, and respect her as a politician for what she has achieved. I'm certainly far more comfortable with her than I ever was with Eck because I on the whole believe what she is saying (even if I disagree with it).

Stuart Lyon

I always hope that there is a chance of saving misguided souls who are being led by a pied piper with a promise based on spurious policies and an iffy record in Scottish Government. I am an  incurable optimist.

HaymarketJambo

No he is doing a great a job for the SNP, let him carry on.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The great thing about this election is that I want everyone to lose and it looks likely that is exactly what is going to happen.

:spoton:

doctor jambo

You can develop a more progressive approach to tuition fees so that charges are varied according to means. Also as someone said Labours Educational Endownment Scheme recommended in the Cubie report enjoyed wide support and Andrew Cubie got a standing ovation at the NUS.

Repayment terms for Student Loans and fees are extremely generous and students dont pay unless they can and can obtain payment holidays in tough times. Im pretty sure I read an article saying that 50% of fee debt will never be repaid. A parent who choses to take over student debt would be just as well saving the money and fund repsyments if and when they become due.

The SNP policy is purely populist and nobody will ever persuade me that a student who has enjoyed funding worth many thousands of pounds from their parents to attend public schools should enjoy free higher education tuition fees whilst a couple of hundred thousand places are denied to other kids.

But by attending public schools they help maintain free state education and keep class sizes down.

The parents of every child at state school has ALREADY paid for their childs' free education'  - its not like you get a rebate for not taking your place in the creaking state apparatus

Close public schools and the state system would collapse completely as the state suddenly had to find places and teachers for tens of thousands of kids with no extra funding

HaymarketJambo

I always hope that there is a chance of saving misguided souls who are being led by a pied piper with a promise based on spurious policies and an iffy record in Scottish Government. I am an  incurable optimist.

This is not about the Scottish Government record, this is a election about Westminster not Holyrood.

So far that horrible party (SNP) that runs the Scottish Government is well ahead the polls and thanks to Mr Milband's comment's last night he would rather see the Tories in power than work with the SNP is the final nail in the coffin for the Scottish Labour Party   

BUT,

I have great news for you will get your big chance to kick out the SNP in MAY 2016 in the Holyrood elections, I hope this is ok with you? .  

doctor jambo

Didn't you know that these places don't actually matter, because they just relate to "hobby courses" and part-time places? Apparently, the SNP don't consider that going to college to learn new or different skills to help you get the job you want, or a new job (such as a hairdresser, a florist or a beauty therapist), or perhaps going to college part-time to get new skills because you already have a job, or maybe you have been out of work for a long time raising a family and still have childcare commitments and feel you need to 'update' your education or try something new, are remotely worthwhile.

So it's ok, we are just getting rid of those college places our government don't think are useful, and the people who would want to do and benefit from those courses don't really matter either. Far better they go to uni to get a degree that won't actually help their job prospects, or just go and do some unskilled work for low pay with little or no job satisfaction.

That's not strictly true- we still provide thousands of places for nail technicians and beauty therapists every year, instead of them being trained on-the-job.

I agree with putting the money into apprenticeships

YOu cannot get a tradesman for < ?300 per day per man- there are clearly not enough of the beggars

Our average kitchen fitter quotes were more than the cost of Locum Consultant Surgeons

Go figure

This is not about the Scottish Government record, this is a election about Westminster not Holyrood.

So far that horrible party (SNP) that runs the Scottish Government is well ahead the polls and thanks to Mr Milband's comment's last night he would rather see the Tories in power than work with the SNP is the final nail in the coffin for the Scottish Labour Party   

BUT,

I have great news for you will get your big chance to kick out the SNP in MAY 2016 in the Holyrood elections, I hope this is ok with you? .  

I was working last night. Did he actually say this? Has to be the moment Ed waves goodbye to his dream of being PM.

doctor jambo

I was working last night. Did he actually say this? Has to be the moment Ed waves goodbye to his dream of being PM.

He said he would not work with the SNP- said he would rather not be PM than do that- a slightly different thing.

I always hope that there is a chance of saving misguided souls who are being led by a pied piper with a promise based on spurious policies and an iffy record in Scottish Government. I am an incurable optimist.

Keep it up.

deesidejambo

No he didn't say that.   The words have been twisted.   He said he would rather not be pm but that doesn't mean he wants a Tory Go'vt.  There are other outcomes, such as minority Labour Gov't or repeat election.

HaymarketJambo

Sorry he said he would not work with the SNP, I apologize.

So his only hope is that the Libdems and the SDLP in Northern Ireland do well next week, which is unlikely on both accounts.   

Not sure about the Lib Dems and any Irish party not being enough to prop up Labour.

Miliband has to gamble and hope he can do a deal with them and keep the SNP at arm's length.

All numbers in the air of course.

Mr Brightside

So his only hope is that the Libdems and the SDLP in Northern Ireland do well next week, which is unlikely on both accounts.

Nope, you need to also include a minority labour govt and a re-election.

Even although the SDLP want a united Ireland?

Slightly hypocritical by Mr Ed.

freddiemac

Is it really,before Sept 18th the amount of folk I knew voting for Independence was incredible.

Only two of my friends,both Tory voters were the only ones I knew of voting NO,both live in Joppa,very near Easter Rd,hundreds and when I say hundreds I mean hundreds were voting YES,mainly around Motherwell and Hamilton areas I might add.

I was so confident from seeing the amount of folk around Glasgow,I thought it was a stick on that YES would win.

To say I was livid the following day is an understatement,that was before the Unionist riots in Freedom Square,this time around,I'm much more relaxed,I won't count my chickens yet but my confidence is high because this time we are ready,the Vow has never been delivered,it will never see the light of day,ever.

just wondering,is it all Celtic fans through their where you stay.

jambo1185

Even although the SDLP want a united Ireland?

Slightly hypocritical by Mr Ed.

That's still not what he said. He said there would be no deal.

There will also be no deal with the SDLP or Plaid.

However he will work with all of those parties on a vote by vote basis.

Stuart Lyon

Jambo 1185 thank you for clarifying what Ed said; saved me pointing it out to those too blinkered to understand the Labour Party's position. We'll keep the Red Flag flying high!

jambo1185

Jambo 1185 thank you for clarifying what Ed said; saved me pointing it out to those too blinkered to understand the Labour Party's position. We'll keep the Red Flag flying high!

Trust me, I really won't. But I don't think it's fair for people to be so blatantly misrepresented.

Edited by jambo1185

freddiemac

snp for the working class ,deny the ordinary people a chance to better themselves. Colleges have been reduced from 37 to 20,while we allow foreigners into uni for nothing,not charging them council tax either. Snp ,I they couldn't run a bath!

That's still not what he said. He said there would be no deal.

There will also be no deal with the SDLP or Plaid.

However he will work with all of those parties on a vote by vote basis.

Ah, ok then.

Similar to what Sturgeon said at the very start of this process that the SNP would not seek to form a coalition with Labour but would support on a vote by vote basis.

In other words, both are saying the same so what's the kerfuffle about?

jambo1185

Ah, ok then.

Similar to what Sturgeon said at the very start of this process that the SNP would not seek to form a coalition with Labour but would support on a vote by vote basis.

In other words, both are saying the same so what's the kerfuffle about?

I have no idea. For some reason the SNP seem to be going mental about Ed wanting the Tories in despite Ed confirming his position is their preferred position as well. It's all very odd.

Edited by jambo1185

Guest Trapper John

More right wing opinion.

Which is the author's right, but hardly an objective piece, imo.

Truth comes in many forms, Comrade.

Guest Trapper John

I have no idea. For some reason the SNP seem to be going mental about Ed wanting the Tories in despite Ed confirming his position is their preferred position as well. It's all very odd.

Yes, its odd how one party that declares its intent to destroy another, then gets hoist by its own petard should feel so aggrieved.

Baffling.

Edited by Trapper John

I think, and may be wrong, but the tone of Ed's comments last night seemed to rule out ANY discussion with the SNP at all.  Only for the likes of Andy Burnham to say today that in fact Labour would speak to the SNP regarding votes as that's what happens in that type of parliament.

Hence Sturgeon's comments saying "I heard Ed Miliband and he sounded awfully like he was saying ? and I hope I?m wrong about this because I think people across Scotland and the rest of the UK would be appalled if I?m right, he sounded as if he was saying that he would rather see David Cameron and the Conservatives back in government than actually work with the SNP."

jambo1185

I think, and may be wrong, but the tone of Ed's comments last night seemed to rule out ANY discussion with the SNP at all.  Only for the likes of Andy Burnham to say today that in fact Labour would speak to the SNP regarding votes as that's what happens in that type of parliament.

Hence Sturgeon's comments saying "I heard Ed Miliband and he sounded awfully like he was saying ? and I hope I?m wrong about this because I think people across Scotland and the rest of the UK would be appalled if I?m right, he sounded as if he was saying that he would rather see David Cameron and the Conservatives back in government than actually work with the SNP."

You mean the tone as determined by Sturgeon? I thought it was clear as day what he meant.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Getting a bit tired of Sturgeon telling us all that we want a Labour-led government. By all means promote your own party but **** off deciding who else we should be voting for.

Yes, its odd how one party that declares its intent to destroy another, then gets hoist by its own petard should feel so aggrieved.

Baffling.

I guess that's politics.  Same way as Mr Ed cannot concede that his party is going to get reamed in Scotland next week.

Guest Trapper John

In may well do.

But that to me read as opinion, rather than truth. :wink:

More like an observation, I thought.

You mean the tone as determined by Sturgeon? I thought it was clear as day what he meant.

I never watched this last night and haven't seen it, but I have heard and watched Mr Ed talk about the SNP before and how they may affect the outcome of the election.

He doesn't like the SNP (none of them do) and he seems to be saying he won't work with them on any account.  To me, this is playing to the English gallery, but it doesn't do his party any favours up here, IMO.

In reality, I suspect he will need the SNP votes.

Guest Trapper John

I guess that's politics.  Same way as Mr Ed cannot concede that his party is going to get reamed in Scotland next week.

Do you expect him to admit that?

That's politics, too.

You could turn it around by stating that Nicola not admitting that the SNP is now a wasted vote is also politics.

It's all part of the Great Game.

More like an observation, I thought.

Observations will be tinged with opinion, I suspect.

Just look at how Miliband's comments last night are being interpreted.

Guest Trapper John

Getting a bit tired of Sturgeon telling us all that we want a Labour-led government. By all means promote your own party but **** off deciding who else we should be voting for.

Headless chicken stuff from Nic.

Must be all that flying about in a ?1200 a day helicopter. I wonder how many foodbanks she can see from up there?

Didn't you know NS is not standing for Westminster?

I never said she was,I said many in England wished she was prime minister because she talks more sense than those 3 clowns who were onstage last night.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I never said she was,I said many in England wished she was prime minister because she talks more sense than those 3 clowns who were onstage last night.

I really wouldn't got that far.

Guest Trapper John

Observations will be tinged with opinion, I suspect.

Just look at how Miliband's comments last night are being interpreted.

He appeared pretty unequivocal.

The fact is we've become used to politician's obfuscation. For once someone actually said something that surprised us all.

I can understand the shock!