The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

The Real Maroonblood

May could be a great month.

Carnage at both Westminster and the Championship play offs.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ed has played this well. SNP will have to back his policies otherwise they will be siding with the conservatives. Which they won't do.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/04/if-you-think-snp-are-left-wing-force-think-again

A good article about how the SNP are not progresssive.

leginten, Scotland is not a bloc in this election. It's a UK-wide election in which all seats are equal. There could be 40+ Labour MPs in London and there's no reason to assume it should have any particular "say".

It's a UK-wide election because that's wha Scotland voted for.

No-one's buying. London - or any other English region - is not one of the four constituent countries of the UK. But even so, if it did vote en masse completely differently from the rest of the UK and was ignored, you'd be able to hear the howls of anguish as far away as Cape Wrath. Again, you can pretend that you don't know what's going on in UK politics in terms of shift of power away from Westminster and the sheer fragility of the constitutional status quo, but that's just putting your hands over your ears and screaming for it all to go away. Cameron and Miliband will both know the score, and they will ignore next week's Scottish vote at their peril - and the peril of the thing they claim to love and cherish.

Ed has played this well. SNP will have to back his policies otherwise they will be siding with the conservatives. Which they won't do.

The SNP dont have to do anything. If he refuses a deal and the tories govern, thats down to him and Slab are finished, thatll be tell Scotland your vote means nothing.

Smegg said last night when he deefied labour for tory thats democracy, well we're aboot to vote SNP in large numbers, thats democracy.

Edited by aussieh

Mr Brightside

The SNP dont have to do anything. If he refuses a deal and the tories govern, thats down to him and Slab are finished, thatll be tell Scotland your vote means nothing.

Smegg said last night when he deefied labour for tory thats democracy, well we're aboot to vote SNP in large numbers, thats democracy.

But we keep hearing Slab are finished and SNP will get 40plus seats so what do labour have to lose.

Going back to the polls might erode some of the SNP vote, it can't get any worse.

freddiemac

?????

But we keep hearing Slab are finished and SNP will get 40plus seats so what do labour have to lose.

Going back to the polls might erode some of the SNP vote, it can't get any worse.

Prob make it 59 seats, more like.

?????

Theyre saying we dont count, SNP mps dont just turn up at wm, thyre voted in to represent the electorate, but theyre all saying you cant.

Mr Brightside

Prob make it 59 seats, more like.

Possibly but unlikely. Possibly win enough additional seats in England to get a majority from those afraid of SNP being in a coalition.

Let's face it when it comes to UK politics the SNP are impotent no matter how many seats they win.

Theyre saying we dont count, SNP mps dont just turn up at wm, thyre voted in to represent the electorate, but theyre all saying you cant.

don't say we. The snp mps don't matter. They are ideologically incompatible with Westminster. They don't vote when it matters. Might as well pull a sinn fain and stay away.

Clonlara Erin

don't say we. The snp mps don't matter. They are ideologically incompatible with Westminster. They don't vote when it matters. Might as well pull a sinn fain and stay away.

F?in.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Clonlara Erin

TheMaganator

No. That's not what is happening, Aussie.

What's quite rightly happening is that the msg is being made clear - if you vote for a party that wants Britain to fail and in any event can't form a government then you're not likely to have much influence.

I'm sorry you've believed the lie peddled by Sturgeon that 'a strong brigade of SNP MPs will be barry like'.

jambos are go!

Your right. If SNP supporters did and could  count they would not be supporting nonsense on stilts!

deesidejambo

Labour complete moron on 5Live just now showing he has no clue what zero-hours contracts are and how they are applied.       Complete idiot.   

From today's Guardian.  Miliband from last night.

?I just want to repeat this point to you: I am not going to have a Labour government if it means deals or coalitions with the SNP. I want to say this to voters inScotland.?

Fair enough, you won't be PM then and are happy to allow a Tory minority Government out of spite.

Naturally, there are two sides to this.  Unionists in Scotland will approve of this as it just gets at the SNP.

However, assuming the polls are correct, almost, if not more, than half of the electorate are planning on voting SNP and could return anywhere between 40 and 59 seats making them the third largest party at Westminster.  Given the common ground between the SNP & Labour it would seem appropriate that they work together and reach a consensus.

If Labour refuse this help, then I can only see it hardening the SNP vote in Scotland, and will make Holyrood 2016 very, very interesting.  Labour wanting people to vote for them when they let a Tory become PM?  Labour wanting people to vote for them when they have effectively told the Scottish electorate that it doesn't matter for anything in the UK?

Ed, and the rest of the Westminster clique, whilst spouting Unionism may well have done more to ensure the break up of that Union than the SNP ever could.

Nookie Bear

At least sinn fein have the principles to stay away

Good to see the unionists up their anti-Scottish seethe. Milliband just sealed Labours fate north of the border with his rant last night but I doubt he gives too hoots about that. He had to play to the english voters and try and counter the tory 'labour and the SNP in cahoots' line. How anyone in Scotland could possibly vote for labour after him saying he would rather have a Tory government than work with a democratically elected Scottish party is truly beyond me. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

From today's Guardian. Miliband from last night.

?I just want to repeat this point to you: I am not going to have a Labour government if it means deals or coalitions with the SNP. I want to say this to voters inScotland.?

Fair enough, you won't be PM then and are happy to allow a Tory minority Government out of spite.

Naturally, there are two sides to this. Unionists in Scotland will approve of this as it just gets at the SNP.

However, assuming the polls are correct, almost, if not more, than half of the electorate are planning on voting SNP and could return anywhere between 40 and 59 seats making them the third largest party at Westminster. Given the common ground between the SNP & Labour it would seem appropriate that they work together and reach a consensus.

If Labour refuse this help, then I can only see it hardening the SNP vote in Scotland, and will make Holyrood 2016 very, very interesting. Labour wanting people to vote for them when they let a Tory become PM? Labour wanting people to vote for them when they have effectively told the Scottish electorate that it doesn't matter for anything in the UK?

Ed, and the rest of the Westminster clique, whilst spouting Unionism may well have done more to ensure the break up of that Union than the SNP ever could.

Disagree. They are trying to target "soft Nats" whose worst fear is a Tory government in a bid to save seats. Secondly, if the SNP vote holds they will simply play hardball with them to support a Labour gracious speech. If the Nats force the country back to the polls (and cause the markets to shit themselves in the process) they have a far more pertinent line of attack on the SNP as "wreckers".

Naturally, there are two sides to this.  Unionists in Scotland will approve of this as it just gets at the SNP.

However, assuming the polls are correct, almost, if not more, than half of the electorate are planning on voting SNP and could return anywhere between 40 and 59 seats making them the third largest party at Westminster.  Given the common ground between the SNP & Labour it would seem appropriate that they work together and reach a consensus.

If Labour refuse this help, then I can only see it hardening the SNP vote in Scotland, and will make Holyrood 2016 very, very interesting.  Labour wanting people to vote for them when they let a Tory become PM?  Labour wanting people to vote for them when they have effectively told the Scottish electorate that it doesn't matter for anything in the UK?

agree 100% - Labour in Scotland could be finished for generations after this. However, I still think Milliband is lying through his teeth and, come the 8th of May, if he needs the SNP to get into power, deals will be done

doctor jambo

Apples and pears Boris

Labour will blame the SNP for Tory Government

SNP will blame Labour

Both are right

And it does not mean that Scottish votes are ignored- it means what it should, that the vote of a Scot , or a Scots MP is exactly the same as that of any other UK citizen.

The SNP wants a minority party to have undue influence

that is possibly more undemocratic than anything- why should they?

Disagree. They are trying to target "soft Nats" whose worst fear is a Tory government in a bid to save seats. Secondly, if the SNP vote holds they will simply play hardball with them to support a Labour gracious speech. If the Nats force the country back to the polls (and cause the markets to shit themselves in the process) they have a far more pertinent line of attack on the SNP as "wreckers".

As I said Geoff, there are two sides to it.

But assuming your analysis is correct, don't you think it is slightly patronising to those voters i.e. Project Fear type tactics?

If Labour make a James Hunt of it and then try to blame the SNP I suspect that line of attack as "wreckers" will not hold much water with anyone other than the staunchest Labourites.  

Will the same jibe be made at Liberal and Tory voters as their parties would also help in bringing down any minority Labour Government?  It's not the SNP alone that would force the country back to the polls.

But assuming your analysis is correct, don't you think it is slightly patronising to those voters i.e. Project Fear type tactics?

If Labour make a James Hunt of it and then try to blame the SNP I suspect that line of attack as "wreckers" will not hold much water with anyone other than the staunchest Labourites.

Will the same jibe be made at Liberal and Tory voters as their parties would also help in bringing down any minority Labour Government? It's not the SNP alone that would force the country back to the polls.

if the lib dems arw not In coalition they will likely have free votes they wont have enough to bring down a government unless they join qith snp and labour who may have enough together anyway.

Apples and pears Boris

Labour will blame the SNP for Tory Government

SNP will blame Labour

Both are right

And it does not mean that Scottish votes are ignored- it means what it should, that the vote of a Scot , or a Scots MP is exactly the same as that of any other UK citizen.

The SNP wants a minority party to have undue influence

that is possibly more undemocratic than anything- why should they?

No.  The SNP are saying, we will support you on certain things, we don't want cabinet positions, but when it comes to Scotland you can expect us to want as much as we can.  Now, that's a starting point.  The SNP will know they can't get everything they want, but they could help Labour put through quite a lot of its proposed legislation.  It's quid pro quo.

But, to dismiss the third largest party out of hand seems like Labour are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

But that's just my take on it.

I take it from your last comments that you don't agree with coalition government then?  Because replace SNP with Lib Dem and that's what we have now.

jambos are go!

If Labour get the chance they can put forward a Queens Speech or other measures and dare the SNP to bring them down and face the Scottish electorate. The SNP wont do that for at least a couple of years IMO. During that period Miliband will have the massive advantage of determining whether there is a snap election or not. Personally I think there may be advantage in calling a UK election on the same day as the Holyrood election.

TheMaganator

No.  The SNP are saying, we will support you on certain things, we don't want cabinet positions, but when it comes to Scotland you can expect us to want as much as we can.  Now, that's a starting point.  The SNP will know they can't get everything they want, but they could help Labour put through quite a lot of its proposed legislation.  It's quid pro quo.

But, to dismiss the third largest party out of hand seems like Labour are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

But that's just my take on it.

I take it from your last comments that you don't agree with coalition government then?  Because replace SNP with Lib Dem and that's what we have now.

You are sounding more like a converted SNPer every day Boris :lol:

Any minority government will have to work with any and all parties if they want to get stuff through. That isn't what Ed ruled out - though it is being peddled that way by the grievance brigade. 

He's saying he wont do a supply & confidence deal, or a coalition, with a party that wants to destroy the UK. There is nothing wrong with that. He will have to gain the support of the SNP for certain things - he knows that. 

That's assuming they get that far. The SNP removing 30 odd seats from labour make it more likely that the Tories will be the next government. 

Edited by TheMaganator

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Labour get the chance they can put forward a Queens Speech or other measures and dare the SNP to bring them down and face the Scottish electorate. The SNP wont do that for at least a couple of years IMO. During that period Miliband will have the massive advantage of determining whether there is a snap election or not. Personally I think there may be advantage in calling a UK election on the same day as the Holyrood election.

They'd have to repeal the Fixed Term Act first. No chance of that happening.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Will the same jibe be made at Liberal and Tory voters as their parties would also help in bringing down any minority Labour Government? It's not the SNP alone that would force the country back to the polls.

Boris, the average vote doesn't think about politics as deeply as you do. Elections are an irritation to most people.

You are sounding more like a converted 

Ah, but the point is these are the people you need to win over. Boris is that soft nat, and yet he's already indignant that people are talking about the snp wrecking labour's minority govt - when labour's failure to run a government is just that, their failure. Now branches of the media will present the snp as the baddies but that's just feeds in to what's causing the snp to be liked.

Lots of snp voters feel alienated, so presenting the snp as outsiders isn't going to help you're cause. I'm not having a go at you, but your tactics do appear counter-productive. They've certainly not worked well up to this point.

Know your enemy.

Edited by 2NaFish

Thunderstruck

Interesting to see a small article in this morning's Herald which hints at Shell getting itself out of the North Sea:

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/iphone/homepage.aspx#_article931340689

Contrast that with the promise, just over a year ago, to plough billions into North Sea development.

Looks like Fracking in Central Scotland is ever closer.

Great to watch a debate without goggle-eyed SNP supporters in the audience shouting down the opposition.

Civilised people, the English.

He's right though.

Watching QT from Scotchland is just a shout-a-thon

Your right. If SNP supporters did and could  count they would not be supporting nonsense on stilts!

Childish name-calling. This is what Scotland has become.

Nick Clegg and the LDs have repeatedly said they went into coalition because it was the right thing to do and the deficit had to be tackled.  I don't agree with that necessarily but it's a decent argument to put forward.

However, what about the NHS Bill or whatever we call it?  The Andrew Lansley one that had been explicitly ruled out in the Tory manifesto.  I know the LDs tried to get "concessions" and "changes" and what have you - but I am presuming by the fact that it got passed, that they voted for it.  How do the LDs square that with anything?  The changes to the NHS would not have happened without Clegg's lot.  They deserve annihilation - I am very disappointed that they might end up with around 25 seats.

Here we go again,Unionist thugs doing what they do best,stay classy guys,okay.

Billy Boys attack SNP Election Office

http://www.thenational.scot/news/par...-of-thugs.2557

Party activist trapped as Glasgow SNP office is attacked by a gang of thugs

MAY 1ST, 2015 - 12:19 AM JANICE BURNS 3 COMMENTS

AN SNP activist had to lock herself in a campaign office for her own safety after being terrorised by a gang of thugs.

The 12-strong group of men were walking behind an Oranger Order flute band procession when they stopped to launch a tirade of abuse at a lone female volunteer inside the office in Glasgow and began banging on windows and kicking the door trying to get in.

While attacking the office in Dumbarton Road, the woman was verbally abused with shouts of ?**** your SNP?, ?yous are a********? and ?why don?t you get to ****? However, they fled before police arrived.

The office is the campaign headquarters of SNP candidate for Glasgow North West Carol Monaghan who is challenging Labour?s John Robertson for a seat at Westminster in the General Election next week.

Witnesses said the culprits were not members of the flute band and were ?hangers-on? who were walking behind the band in support of the march.

Police have looked through CCTV camera footage from nearby shops and interviewed witnesses in a bid to identify them.

Mother-of-three Monaghan, who gave up her job as physics teacher and head of science at Hyndland Secondary School to concentrate on campaigning, said the incident left her volunteer ?very shaken?.

Monaghan said: ?One of our female volunteers was in the office on her own at the time and she was terrified.

?The flute band passed and this was some of the supporters or hangers-on who stopped outside the office and started kicking the door and banging on windows.

?The worst of it was that there was a single female in the office at the time. She locked the door. It was terrifying for her.

?The police were called and they responded very quickly. I have nothing but praise for the police. They were extremely good in how they dealt with things.

?They were from Partick police station and they tried to get CCTV footage from the shops and interviewed witnesses.

?They kept a strong police presence for the rest of the day and they have done that every weekend since that incident so their response has been outstanding.?

The incident was also reported to Glasgow City Council who confirmed receiving the call from the candidate.

A council spokesman said: ?The matter was raised with us but it is a matter for the police and it was reported to Police Scotland.?

Since the incident on Saturday, April 18, Monaghan has insisted that none of the activists are left in the office alone.

She added: ?The woman concerned is now back in the office and doing well. She was very shaken up that day but she has been heavily involved in this campaign and wants to remain so until the final moment.

?The lesson we have learned from it is no-one is in the office on their own now. There are always at least two people in the office.

?Some of the activists felt that we shouldn?t open if there are future walks going past but I was quite insistent that we do stay open and hold our heads up proudly and continue with the work we are doing.

?That kind of behaviour is not going to put us off campaigning.

?We are not even thinking about it now. It is not insignificant to the girl it happened to but in terms of our campaign it is insignificant.

?This a great neighbourhood and the support from the local people has been just fantastic. It was a real surprise and shock that this has happened because we?ve not had any of those feelings targeted towards us before now.. We opened the office at the end of January, it is our hub and a focal point for the community. We have people coming in off the street all time.?

Monaghan has been a member of the SNP since 2007 and said the referendum result gave her the passion to pursue a career in politics.

She added: ?I have always been interested in politics and been a member of the SNP since 2007 and a supporter for a long time before that. It was the referendum and the couple of years during the run-up to it that really got me fully immersed in politics.?

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: ?We attended reports of items thrown at the window at 12.30pm on May 18th. Persons had disappeared before officers arrived. Assistance and advice was given.?

Guest Trapper John

Nice to see the Conscience of Kickback is still casting his eye over all of us naughty Unionists who dare speak up for our beliefs...

Nookie Bear

Says more about the attitudes and lifestyles of what would be the major city in an Independent Scotland, Sidsnot.

You are sounding more like a converted SNPer every day Boris :lol:

Any minority government will have to work with any and all parties if they want to get stuff through. That isn't what Ed ruled out - though it is being peddled that way by the grievance brigade. 

He's saying he wont do a supply & confidence deal, or a coalition, with a party that wants to destroy the UK. There is nothing wrong with that. He will have to gain the support of the SNP for certain things - he knows that. 

That's assuming they get that far. The SNP removing 30 odd seats from labour make it more likely that the Tories will be the next government. 

Hahaha - no, not quite.  But I do see the SNP as a means to an end.  Either a more democratic, modern political system for the UK OR a more modern, democratic political system for an independent Scotland if the rUK can't be arsed.

Miliband is playing to the gallery, but if he does do deals with the SNP, and he'll have to at some point, then he risks the wrath of the electorate down South.

Ah, but the point is these are the people you need to win over. Boris is that soft nat, and yet he's already indignant that people are talking about the snp wrecking labour's minority govt - when labour's failure to run a government is just that, their failure. Now branches of the media will present the snp as the baddies but that's just feeds in to what's causing the snp to be liked.

Lots of snp voters feel alienated, so presenting the snp as outsiders isn't going to help your cause. I'm not having a go at you, but your tactics do appear counter-productive. They've certainly not worked well up to this point.

Know your enemy.

This.  Good man, 2Na.

freddiemac

Milliband has just made his masterstroke on the big stage with a big audience.labour need seats in scotland every election if they want to be in power. If they pander to snp they would be finished in scotland for a generation (however long that is) take one on the chin and labour will recover in scotland.no problem. snp are very quickly going to be found out in scotland .the more powers they get the more they are f****** up. they will shortly go back to their roots with their small band of bitter supporters

The SNP was proposing reduced Corporation Tax. Oh no! The SNP facilitated Amazon's "special" tax regime in Scotland.

See post 6479 thank you.

Mr Brightside

Good to see the unionists up their anti-Scottish seethe. Milliband just sealed Labours fate north of the border with his rant last night but I doubt he gives too hoots about that. He had to play to the english voters and try and counter the tory 'labour and the SNP in cahoots' line. How anyone in Scotland could possibly vote for labour after him saying he would rather have a Tory government than work with a democratically elected Scottish party is truly beyond me.

Except that's not what he said. On the current polls a Tory government will only be formed if the SNP back a Tory queen speech. He is giving the SNP the choice to vote for a labour queen speech or a Tory queen speech.

Hardball on what issues?

When Scotland is independent, who or what will the SNP blame for their ruination of the country?

Pollution from over the border? We should have had an oil fund all along?

Blame the Tories for that,Thatcher used it for England's debts and Falklands war but our Unionists on JKB seem to have a memory lapse regarding that.

Gorgiewave

Westminster has 650 seats. A Scottish seat is worth exactly the same as any other. Westminster is not the Senate. For most matters, Scotland has Holyrood (and the SNP are making an arse of that). For everything else, there's the Union we voted for.

Why are the nationalists so needy? Why are they so pathetic?

Mr Brightside

Milliband has just made his masterstroke on the big stage with a big audience.labour need seats in scotland every election if they want to be in power. If they pander to snp they would be finished in scotland for a generation (however long that is) take one on the chin and labour will recover in scotland.no problem. snp are very quickly going to be found out in scotland .the more powers they get the more they are ******* up. they will shortly go back to their roots with their small band of bitter supporters

Exactly the SNP are going to romp the Scottish vote. Labour have accepted that and are positioning themselves for the future.

This is purely my opinion but however many seats SNP get this time, that will be their zenith and the decline will start to set in.

Westminster has 650 seats. A Scottish seat is worth exactly the same as any other. Westminster is not the Senate. For most matters, Scotland has Holyrood (and the SNP are making an arse of that). For everything else, there's the Union we voted for.

Why are the nationalists so needy? Why are they so pathetic?

You need to ask better questions.

Gorgiewave

No, those are the questions? Why do they need each other and community like they do?