2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

Prince Buaben

Well I'm heading down to Silverstone on Thursday looking forward to it not so much looking forward to camping for 4nights!!

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince Buaben

Fernandes sells Caterham to a Swiss/MIddle East consortium.

Christian Albers to running the team.

Title over, Hamilton has lost the plot completely

Long way to go.

Long way to go.

maybe, but the gap is becoming impossible, it's gonna be atleast 36 points after this weekend. Without a DNF for rosberg that takes 6 1st/2nds in hamiltons favour to catch up. Never gonna happen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:shitwine:

maybe, but the gap is becoming impossible, it's gonna be atleast 36 points after this weekend. Without a DNF for rosberg that takes 6 1st/2nds in hamiltons favour to catch up. Never gonna happen!!

The last race being double points means it's not over by a long shot.

A dnf for Rosberg and Hamilton winning gets him right back in it.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Hamilton will probably be back up to second after 5 or 6 laps. Then it is anybody's to win.

Hamilton, in my opinion has been slightly quicker again but he needs a good start to have a chance.

Prince Buaben

That was a big shunt for Kimi.

I'm fine :smuggy:

Seriously though it was quite a shunt. He's away to the medical centre

I'm fine :smuggy:

Seriously though it was quite a shunt. He's away to the medical centre

He/you were walking albeit gingerly.

Jesus Christ! Why don't the BBC just rename the show the Lewis Hamilton Show?

that's why I prefer the sky coverage as they had a lawnmower race with kimi brundle hill and Davidson and did not completely suck up to Hamilton

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Every race Hamilton's pit stops are slower than Rosbergs. I know it won't be on purpose but it happens all the time.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Great stuff. Hamilton just better make sure he makes it to the end now.

So.

That's the lead down to 4 points in the championship.

All over as people said further up the thread?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Another DNF from Rosberg next race to equal it up for the season would be lovely.

kingantti1874

Great result... It's like Mercedes are racing in a different formula all together

I P Knightley

Cruel of me to quote this but... And my guess is that this won't be the last Mercedes retirement of the season.

scott_jambo

Cruel of me to quote this but... And my guess is that this won't be the last Mercedes retirement of the season.

Having a lot of mechanical issues. The fastest engine and the best car, but it isn't perfect.

So much so Lotus will be using Mercedes engines next season, really enjoyed Silverstone pity Jensen did not make the podium.

So much so Lotus will be using Mercedes engines next season, really enjoyed Silverstone pity Jensen did not make the podium.

How did the cars sound?

Are they as bad as everyone says?

My Left Nut

Anyone read about the banning of FRIC suspension?

Formula 1's FRIC suspension systems, believed to be one of the strengths of the dominant Mercedes car, could be banned for the German Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Less than a fortnight before the next race at Hockenheim, the FIA has informed F1 teams that it believes the Front-and-Rear Interconnected Suspension (FRIC) systems used by most of them are illegal.

According to sources, the governing body wrote to teams on Tuesday to tell them that following detailed investigations into the design of the FRIC systems, it believes they are in contravention of the rules.

In the note, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting said: "Having now seen and studied nearly every current design of front to rear linked suspension system we, the FIA, are formally of the view that the legality of all such systems could be called into question."

Whiting suggests that the way the suspension systems help control pitch and roll could be in breach of article 3.15 of F1's technical regulations.

Article 3.15 is the catch-all regulation that relates to moveable aerodynamic devices. It outlaws any part of the car that influences the aerodynamics that is not "rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom)."

The FRIC systems link the front and rear suspension to maintain a constant ride height for improved performance.

Lotus (then called Renault) was the first team to introduce the concept in 2008.

Mercedes more recently took the design to the next level and is now believed to run the most complicated system, however it is unclear which team would suffer the most from a ban.

FIA OPEN TO DELAYING BAN UNTIL 2015

With limited testing time before the next race at Hockenheim, and 2014 designs being based around FRIC, the FIA is open to delaying the ban if there is consensus among teams.

It has asked teams to vote on whether or not they will be in favour of delaying the ban until the start of 2015 rather than it coming into force for the German GP.

However, for that to happen it would require unanimous support from all the teams on the grid.

It is unclear how easy it will be to achieve unanimous support for a delay - especially if any team feels its FRIC design is not as good as a rival's, or indeed if a team is not running the system at all.

If unanimous support is not reached, then Whiting has made it clear that from the next race in Germany, any team running FRIC risks being reported to the stewards by the FIA for non-compliance with the regulations.

The fact that the FIA has indicated it believes FRIC to be illegal also opens the door for a team to protest one of its rivals from the next race

It says that it is believed to be one of the strengths of the Merc and that is part of their success. I feel that RBR also rely on this heavily with the car being very good through cornering etc.

I can't understand how they can say that it relates to movable aerodynamic devices? And they mention rigidly secured. The suspension needs to move, I am no engineer but this seems a bit stupid. Why can't they just leave it as it is? It has been used since 2008!

It says that it is believed to be one of the strengths of the Merc and that is part of their success. I feel that RBR also rely on this heavily with the car being very good through cornering etc.

I can't understand how they can say that it relates to movable aerodynamic devices? And they mention rigidly secured. The suspension needs to move, I am no engineer but this seems a bit stupid. Why can't they just leave it as it is? It has been used since 2008!

I bet ferrari don't have it and it was probably them who pushed for it

kingantti1874

Because Mercedes are embarrassing the entire grid at the moment.. Lapping nearly 2 secs a lap faster at some points on Sunday..

• 2 weeks later...

Very strange looking crash.

Brakes didn't fail but maybe the rears locked?

My Left Nut
Very strange looking crash.

Brakes didn't fail but maybe the rears locked?

That did look very strange. Brake by wire issue? Defo brakes related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingantti1874

Front brake disc failure and now gearbox damaged in crash... Like him or loathe him that guy gets no luck whatsoever

My Left Nut

Found it odd that the safety car never came out when Sutil spun. Was very dangerous to have marshals on the track in that situation. The first lap incident when the safety car did come out was not as dangerous in my view. Thoughts?

Found it odd that the safety car never came out when Sutil spun. Was very dangerous to have marshals on the track in that situation. The first lap incident when the safety car did come out was not as dangerous in my view. Thoughts?

The safety car came out for Massa because he flipped his car imo.

I agree Sutil's car was in a more dangerous position and was more worthy of a safety car.

How did the cars sound?

Are they as bad as everyone says?

They are nowhere near the noise of GP2 and GP3.

They are nowhere near the noise of GP2 and GP3.

That's disappointing.

Hope they go back to the high pitch shrill that hurts your ears as they go past.

Prince Buaben

So as of 2016 there will be Azerbajhan Grand Prix in the streets of Baku.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28483319

What is the maximun Grand Prix's they are going to allow?

Currently they have 21 scheulded for next year with India and Mexico returning. Argentina is looking to return aswell. Going to be a GP every week throughout the summer soon.

both maldonado and hamilton out in Q1 due to car failures, maldonado seems to have lost drive and hamiltons car on fire

Archived