2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

Prince Buaben

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see Ricciardo handle his RBR much better than Seb :jjyay:

Good debut qualifiers by Kvyat and Magnussen.

My Left Nut

The cars look a handful, at least we will see some driver skills. Imprest with Ricciardo happy for Vetel

Magnussen looks really good, raw pace there. Hope Williams and Masa do well.

My Left Nut

I kinda love that you can hear the tyres screeching this season. Plus I love the sound of the turbo.

Love the fans cheering Vettel missing out on Q3 :jjyay:

That was hilarious :lol:

The roar that Ricciardo got when he briefly held pole was amazing.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Forgot to do my predictions.

:sob:

Really enjoyed qualifying. Vettel getting booed when he failed to make Q3 was brilliant. Those Aussies obviously haven't forgotten multi 21 :lol:

rossthejambo

That was hilarious :lol:

The roar that Ricciardo got when he briefly held pole was amazing.

Not sure if it was because the engines weren't quite as loud as before but the noise from the crowd was something else. Really added to the excitement.

Even though the engines are quieter, the sound they make is far nicer.

Lotus-Renaults are doing pretty badly.

Rudi Skacel

Anyone going to be up early tomorow and watch the race live?

I shall also assume we all got our 5 free points for predicting Hamilton on pole?

Anyone going to be up early tomorow and watch the race live?

I shall also assume we all got our 5 free points for predicting Hamilton on pole?

I'm going to try, but I didn't get to sleep until late last night so it might be difficult.

I certainly did. My expectations elsewhere were a bit off though. Except Alonso, he was bang on where I expected him.

rossthejambo

I wasn't going to but after seeing quali I've decided to set the alarm. Whether I get up or not is a different story!

I wasn't going to but after seeing quali I've decided to set the alarm. Whether I get up or not is a different story!

Sky+ for me - complete media blackout in the morning :lol:

Rudi Skacel

Reminds me of last year. Only seeing the first hour of the race because had to leave at 7 to leave haddington to travel to the final.

Should have been the same scenario this year :(

Reminds me of last year. Only seeing the first hour of the race because had to leave at 7 to leave haddington to travel to the final.

Should have been the same scenario this year :(

Could be worse - this time last year I was sitting in a hospital waiting to be put in a ward having been told to come in as an emergency. My heart was breaking as I gave my brother my ticket for the next day :sob:

Doom predicted for Red Bull and they show up on the front row. I don't have much of a clue so I'll accept Ted Kravitz when he says it's something about downforce, and they actually are still shite.

Doom predicted for Red Bull and they show up on the front row. I don't have much of a clue so I'll accept Ted Kravitz when he says it's something about downforce, and they actually are still shite.

They had a horrendous time in testing, and Vettel struggling in Q2 seemed to back it up to an extent. If anything, more credit to Ricciardo for making it work.

I'm still thinking that Hamilton will head a Mercedes 1-2.

I've not seen the odds but I'm thinking Alonso might be worth an each way bet. You can usually put your house on him making up places from the start, and I think it's been said that Ferarri have been striving for reliability.

You're probably right about Mercedes, in the back of my mind I've got that thing about them having the one lap pace last year but no race pace, but that was down to tyres, and this will more likely be about cars breaking. There's also the fuel consumption thing.

In terms of what the cars sound like, it's better than I thought, but some of the videos I saw suggested crackling sounds. I'm not hearing crackling.

Disaster for Hamilton and Vettel :jjyay:

Mercedes look well ahead of the pack though. Great race for Ricciardo and Magnussen - a debut podium is an incredible achievement. Maybe McLaren are back...

rossthejambo

Fuel irregularities they just said. That would be a sickener, not a big Red Bull fan but I like Ricciardo.

Would be a sickener for Ricciardo.

Kudos to Williams as well - Bottas had a great race, and would have threatened to get on the podium if he hadn't hit the wall. Massa might have been up there as well if it wasn't for Kobayashi.

Fuel irregularities they just said. That would be a sickener, not a big Red Bull fan but I like Ricciardo.

something about fuel flow rates being exceded

rossthejambo

Just checked I didn't have Ricciardo in my top 10, good decision from the men in charge :lol:

rosberg

Sound.

I picked him to win and get fastest lap. Hopefully Bottas got most places gained too.

Just checked I didn't have Ricciardo in my top 10, good decision from the men in charge :lol:

Neither did I, but him being disqualified will move the two people I have in the correct position. It'll also take one of the others I got within 2 places out as well.

Sound.

I picked him to win and get fastest lap. Hopefully Bottas got most places gained too.

a quick check shows that i think button has the most places gained

According to formula1.com, Red Bull were told that their fuel consumption was over the allowable rate but refused to reduce it.

It seems pretty damning, I don't think their appeal will be successful.

Here's the full bit in the report:

According to the stewards? report, Red Bull used a different fuel sensor on Saturday after they found the one used on Friday had produced unreliable readings. However, when the sensor used on Saturday failed to provide results that were satisfactory to them or the FIA, they were instructed to change back to the original sensor within parc ferme on Saturday night.

Considering this sensor unreliable, Red Bull chose to rely on their own internal fuel flow model, something that the stewards say is in violation of the procedure outlined in the technical regulations.

Furthermore, Red Bull were warned by the FIA?s technical representative during the race that the fuel flow on Ricciardo?s car was too high. The team were given the opportunity to correct this, but according to the stewards? report, they chose not to make any changes.

Rudi Skacel

9th in the league, 6312 overall.

If it hadn't been for the Ricciardo DQ I would've been 5th.

did you work out everyone elses permutations aswell?

We all seem to be quite high up. I wonder how many people have entered this year.

Pretty sure me and Tazio both ended up in the top 250 last year. Be cracking if one of us finished 1st overall.

did you work out everyone elses permutations aswell?

We all seem to be quite high up. I wonder how many people have entered this year.

Pretty sure me and Tazio both ended up in the top 250 last year. Be cracking if one of us finished 1st overall.

... No

:P

Edit:

Just checked, there are 99260 people playing this year (So far).

Just checked, I was in the top 100 last season out of over 50k teams. I'm taking that as a fluke.

kingantti1874

I finished about 60th the year before last, not only that in the last month I won top points scorer and won a castrol hat, a castrol jacket a pen and pencil set and best of all - a signed certificate from Johnny Herbert...

Prince Buaben

Erm, he was disqualified just after the race.

oops!

i didnt know.. and jsut seen the BBC headline :facepalm:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I just got an email saying I got 20 points this week when I didn't give any predictions.

I'm guessing my predictions from the end of last season must have carried forward.

Archived