Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

Any network extention should be judged on its own merits. The inquiry can deal with the past mistakes. It will happen, it's just a question of when in my opinion.

Any network extention should be judged on its own merits. The inquiry can deal with the past mistakes. It will happen, it's just a question of when in my opinion.

Agree, up to a point, that there's no point going over the same past mistakes....

But....

I'd add that they must still take into account the council's ability to service the debt for the original part line, the cost of financing any extension, and the financial viability of any extended line.

The extension's positives and negatives cannot be judged complete in isolation.

For me the only question is " can the city council afford to pay for it ?" And the simple answer is no we can't at the moment , so rather than landing us with more debt let's just get our current problems dealt with of which there are many , schools housing ,services etc . Once that's been dealt with and things start to pick up then yes go ahead and do it but until then it's a no goer for me

Edited by 3fingersreid

Lavrentiy Beria

We should be building walls to keep Leithers out. Not extending the tram lines to assist them coming west.

Having spent last night in Leith i have to agree .

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/tram-inquiry-witnesses-to-be-forced-to-co-operate-1-3597962

:yas::pleasing:

No more hiding or sweeping it under the carpet, let's find out who is responsible for this fiasco and hold them to account.

Absolutely.

And once we've found out how it went wrong we'll know how to do it right when the line is extended and further ones added. Our rapidly growing capital needs a high quality, high volume transport system. One than will allow the growth to continue without the historic core of the city becoming gridlocked with motor vehicles.

Or we could just build a motorway on stilts through Princes Street Gardens like they were planning in the sixties.

Edited by FWJ

Absolutely.

And once we've found out how it went wrong we'll know how to do it right when the line is extended and further ones added. Our rapidly growing capital needs a high quality, high volume transport system. One than will allow the growth to continue without the historic core of the city becoming gridlocked with motor vehicles.

Or we could just build a motorway on stilts through Princes Street Gardens like they were planning in the sixties.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, mate. The money is gone, and we have racked up a huge debt on the council's vanity project.

Those responsible are hopefully now going to be made accountable, but that won't bring the money back.and we can't afford any further development. FFS they haven't even proven that the existing line is financially viable to run once it ceases to be a novelty!

The roads in the city were not designed to carry a tram network, and it will be proven that you can't fit buses, trams, and cars onto the same busy roads. Have you seen the gridlock Princes Street is in, and it doesn't even allow cars on it?!

You talk about the city centre being gridlocked with motor vehicles, yet I think you will find that won't happen if your main shopping area is filled with vacant lets and tartan tat shops due to the mess of the trams and anti-car policies of the council.

Governor Tarkin

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, mate. The money is gone, and we have racked up a huge debt on the council's vanity project.

Those responsible are hopefully now going to be made accountable, but that won't bring the money back.and we can't afford any further development. FFS they haven't even proven that the existing line is financially viable to run once it ceases to be a novelty!

The roads in the city were not designed to carry a tram network, and it will be proven that you can't fit buses, trams, and cars onto the same busy roads. Have you seen the gridlock Princes Street is in, and it doesn't even allow cars on it?!

You talk about the city centre being gridlocked with motor vehicles, yet I think you will find that won't happen if your main shopping area is filled with vacant lets and tartan tat shops due to the mess of the trams and anti-car policies of the council.

Out of interest, what would be your preferred solution to the Edinburgh transport conundrum? I hear a lot of negatives about the trams but not much in the way of constructive alternatives.

Out of interest, what would be your preferred solution to the Edinburgh transport conundrum? I hear a lot of negatives about the trams but not much in the way of constructive alternatives.

There is no reason to improve or overhaul our cities transport. We have the best bus service in the UK.

I'm not so sure people are anti-tram ,most sensible people want as little congestion as possible , what I think is ,most people are anti COST of the tram

It'll be interesting to hear what comes out in the wash

We need a high quality, high volume transport system...unfortunately the trams are neither and they cause much more congestion and traffic within the city centre.

Love the trams - 3 stops to work

Edinburgh Evening news today, Tram leaders to face charges and jail because they avoided an enquiry, oh the OTT journalism, cant see this happening.

There are two main points here:

1. The coumcil have proven themselves unfit to manage our finances. They have racked up debts they can barely afford and are talking about further tram lines. They are like a gambler on a massive losing streak who keeps gambling to recoup their losses.

2. We had trams before and discontinued them. The city has since been designed for motor vehicles and there is no space for trams on most of our roads out with the city centre. Buses are where we should be investing our public transport as it only needs tweaks here and there.

There are two main points here:

1. The coumcil have proven themselves unfit to manage our finances. They have racked up debts they can barely afford and are talking about further tram lines. They are like a gambler on a massive losing streak who keeps gambling to recoup their losses.

2. We had trams before and discontinued them. The city has since been designed for motor vehicles and there is no space for trams on most of our roads out with the city centre. Buses are where we should be investing our public transport as it only needs tweaks here and there.

Frank the city has not been designed for cars at present as the council dont want cars in the centre, our roads are a joke in Edinburgh.

And as for the pedestrian crossings bang next to the Drumbrae Roundabout, whos bright idea was that.

Frank the city has not been designed for cars at present as the council dont want cars in the centre, our roads are a joke in Edinburgh.

And as for the pedestrian crossings bang next to the Drumbrae Roundabout, whos bright idea was that.

If I wasn't clear I meant that since the old trams went we have had 40+ years of developments for property and roads based on motor vehicles. By motor vehicles I include buses and cars.

The old tram infrastructure is gone and been built over. We can't get that back.

There is no way to get trams out to Edinburgh's North West areas like Corstorphine, Parkgrove, Barnton etc.

Edinburgh has been designed with car drivers in mind? If ever one sentence demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the city, it's this.

Edinburgh has been designed with car drivers in mind? If ever one sentence demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the city, it's this.

That is simply not what I said, as I explained in the post before yours, which you clearly didn't read.

Do you not understand the difference between the term "Motor Vehicles" and "Cars"? I also qualified the time period as being the past 40/50 years or so. If you think Edinburgh's infrastructure is exactly the same as it was 50 years ago and we can just put trams or even rail links where they used to be, you are a fantasist.

I was brought up in Barnton Park. As a kid I played where there was ruins of buildings for an old railway station next to the Royal Burgess. Even those ruins are built on with houses now.

If you think Edinburgh has been designed for motor cars you should have a look at the "Abercrombie and Plumstead Post-War Plan" for Edinburgh and see what an Edinburgh designed for motor vehicles might look like.

Consistent market research over decades has shown people are much more likely to leave their cars for a tram than for a bus.

Edited by FWJ

If you think Edinburgh has been designed for motor cars you should have a look at the "Abercrombie and Plumstead Post-War Plan" for Edinburgh and see what an Edinburgh designed for motor vehicles might look like.

It is absolutely horrible.

I suppose that at the time it was an attempt to use the benefits of new technologies and resources but what devastation it would have caused.

King Of The Cat Cafe

My mole within the council tells me that no one expected the huge problems that were thrown up when the contractors started digging: pipes, cables and sewers that no one knew about for a start. A lot of time, effort, and, yes, money went into sorting that out.

The fact that a lot of the work seemed to have been inept and had to be redone several times did not help.

Tram systems can work. Edinburgh just has had some bad experiences.

I am looking forward reading the EEN headline saying 'Final tram debt paid off'. Mind you, I will be about 400 years old at that time. And Hibs will still be waiting for a Scottish Cup to grace their trophy cabinet.

The Mighty Thor

My mole within the council tells me that no one expected the huge problems that were thrown up when the contractors started digging: pipes, cables and sewers that no one knew about for a start. A lot of time, effort, and, yes, money went into sorting that out.

Your mole in the council effectively told you no one at the council has a fecking scooby. Where did they expect the cables pipes and sewers to be?

Bilfinger Berger were rubbing their hands when the clowns from CEC rocked up with huge pots of public cash.

As will no doubt become evident during the enquiry they tied the dummies from CEC in contractual knots then left them to hang themselves out to dry whilst the cash rolled in. Why wasn't it scrapped? Because they'd still have had to pay out for the full job. Brilliant bit of work by BB. You have to doff your cap to them.

The fact that a lot of the work seemed to have been inept and had to be redone several times did not help.

Tram systems can work. Edinburgh just has had some bad experiences.

I am looking forward reading the EEN headline saying 'Final tram debt paid off'. Mind you, I will be about 400 years old at that time. And Hibs will still be waiting for a Scottish Cup to grace their trophy cabinet.

Absolutely they can. A single track, serving one line already covered by two successful bus services, that was delivered without the billpayers' approval, hugely late and massively over-budget, however, makes a mockery of a lot of things and people that don't necessarily deserve it.

There is no reason to improve or overhaul our cities transport. We have the best bus service in the UK.

all very well now

what about the predicted population increase (edit 28% in next 25 years to 620,000) What about more houses getting built.

Edited by Mikey1874

All the new housing developments should have ultra wide streets so they can accommodate trams and motor vehicles. Can just see developers giving up valuable land for that use!

all very well now

what about the predicted population increase (edit 28% in next 25 years to 620,000) What about more houses getting built.

Putting on more buses will be a hell of a lot cheaper than laying down tram lines to service the new neighbourhoods. I really don't get how an increase in Edinburgh's population would justify even more overspend on the trams.

Seymour M Hersh

Problem is the clownsillors never learn from the many mistakes they make.

Can you not buy tickets with cash? I tried to buy a ticket at the airport and the staff said it was card only.

The ticket machines accept cash :thumbsup:

The Real Maroonblood

Can you not buy tickets with cash? I tried to buy a ticket at the airport and the staff said it was card only.

Get the bus it's more reliable.

The Real Maroonblood

All us tax payers should have had a vote on the empty trams, best bus service in Britain.

Correct.

A very expensive toy.

Randle P McMurphy
All us tax payers should have had a vote on the empty trams, best bus service in Britain.

Why should American tax payers have had a vote on this?