Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

Seymour M Hersh

There's 4 stops in the Gyle area. The Gyle centre, Edinburgh Park, Hermiston Gate and Bankhead opposite Makro.

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten about the one at Morrisons (well nearly) and hadn't realised they'd put one at the junction of Bankhead Crossway North & Bankhead Drive. Must be for the students at Edin College and Napier. Either way they're not really that close to the main offices. All will require a bit of a yomp.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

I've been cursing the trams as a waste of money and a white elephant for years.....but I've just got a job at Edinburgh Park right near the stop. Trams are great! ;)

scott_jambo

I've been cursing the trams as a waste of money and a white elephant for years.....but I've just got a job at Edinburgh Park right near the stop. Trams are great! ;)

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Generic Username

Every morning I'm sat on a bus that'll not move for 10 minutes and seeing a tram or two whiz past me.

I don't give a shit how much they're costing any more, just get me hame from work quicker and I'll love you forever!

The more time I spend sat in a bus for 40 minutes waiting to get out of The Gyle on a week night, the more I think the trams will be great.

I travel by motorbike, even with my filtering in traffic that ain't to much fun getting out of the Gyle between 4.30 and 6.30 on a week night.

I travel by motorbike, even with my filtering in traffic that ain't to much fun getting out of the Gyle between 4.30 and 6.30 on a week night.

Depends on where you park :verysmug:

• 1 month later...
Carl Spackler

Fares for trams increased before passengers set foot on board:

http://www.edinburgh...aunch-1-3408906

I also notice that the Airport Bus is to have more journeys from June 1st....

Critical of the Trams as I've been they are here now and the prices aren't bad IMO. Much cheaper than parking there and EVERYTHING at the Airport is a rip.

jimmyjambo

So from York Place to Ingilston park and ride its ?1.50 but travel an extra stop to Edinburgh Airport from York place and its ?5.00, i think thats a bit of a rip off

So from York Place to Ingilston park and ride its ?1.50 but travel an extra stop to Edinburgh Airport from York place and its ?5.00, i think thats a bit of a rip off

Perfect, fleece money out of all the tourists.

Get off the tram at Sighthill and change to the 35 bus :P

The Internet

:rofl:

In fairness, how often do we get lightning storms like that? The people in charge of this must be seething, nothing has gone right for them since this started :lol:

Imagine missing your plane because your tram broke down on the line around the gogar area and you cannae just jump off it and get a bus instead :seething:

OK, the trams were obscenely over-budget and there is going to an enquiry into that, but lessons have been learned, and they're here now, they're built. Trams are popular throughout Europe and are being set up in numerous cities - why should Edinburgh be any different?

The Real Maroonblood

OK, the trams were obscenely over-budget and there is going to an enquiry into that, but lessons have been learned, and they're here now, they're built. Trams are popular throughout Europe and are being set up in numerous cities - why should Edinburgh be any different?

An enquiry. So all those who got a backhander will hand their money back.

Edinburgh trams are toy town stuff compared to other European cities.

A complete white elephant.

The streets of Edinburgh are by and large to narrow for trams.

I think the trick is not to lay tracks in those streets.

• 4 weeks later...
Optimus Prime

Don't want to get into a full blow debate here but i'll state the following:

The trams will run to the airport.

The trams will be cost effective once operational.

There will be a demand for more once the initial network is up and running.

Time will prove me correct on all three.

So where are we now then...........

The Real Maroonblood

So where are we now then...........

It will take a few hundred years for the trams to recoup the money that was spent to install them.

Governor Tarkin

They create congestion and pollution . Wonderful ! !

Have used them a couple of times, and on both occasions they were better than your taxi.

How far is it from the tram stop at the airport to the front door of the terminal ?

Not very far away. Once the new entrance is finished later in the year it'll be almost right outside.

Alba gu Brath

The streets of Edinburgh are by and large to narrow for trams.

So that's MacLeod St off the plans then?

My Left Nut

Got a tram after work yesterday, had a light blue shirt on when I got on and it was dark blue once I got off it! They things have no aircon or if they do it doesn't work like it should!!

No aircon if probably preferable too the sadistic bus drivers that crank out the heat on full blast on the hottest day of the year

scott_jambo

Used the light railway in london yesterday. God did we make a big mistake with these painfully slow useless trams.

The Real Maroonblood

Used the light railway in london yesterday. God did we make a big mistake with these painfully slow useless trams.

Any idea what the top speed of the trams are?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Any idea what the top speed of the trams are?

I suppose it is as fast as the guy with the flag in front can walk. Seriously I heard it can be up to 60 mph but with the lines open to all and sundry in many parts of the off road sections I can't see them reaching speeds anywhere near that.

How would you manage to get a DLR type system through central Edinburgh? Its not really a comparable system, you can't put trains like that through city centres

3fingersreid

I've not paid much attention to it but is there a cross over section at shandwick pl ?

Reason I ask is what's the plan for the tram at new year with the street party as it'll need to change rails

I've not paid much attention to it but is there a cross over section at shandwick pl ?

Reason I ask is what's the plan for the tram at new year with the street party as it'll need to change rails

They can always redirect it onto an alternative route. Oh wait. :qqb001:

I can only assume that they'll terminate at Coates Crescent during the fireworks, carnival and hogmanay

How would you manage to get a DLR type system through central Edinburgh? Its not really a comparable system, you can't put trains like that through city centres

The DLR did it 20 years ago with a mile long ?276m tunnel into Bank.

That's about half a billion at today's prices.

We'd probably need two miles

The DLR did it 20 years ago with a mile long ?276m tunnel into Bank.

That's about half a billion at today's prices.

We'd probably need two miles

It also shares many stations with underground/overground/mainline. The rest were built on scrubland and they couldn't have been built in the centre of London which would be the equivelant ask in Edinburgh. It does indeed go underground to bank and also under the Thames. If you think an underground system would work in Edinburgh (I do) then it's that that's needed, not a system that would take up loads of overground space.

The trams work fine in Croydon. It should also be noted that the vast majority of crossrail in inner London will be underground.

Edited by IronJambo

It also shares many stations with underground/overground/mainline. The rest were built on scrubland and they couldn't have been built in the centre of London which would be the equivelant ask in Edinburgh. It does indeed go underground to bank and also under the Thames. If you think an underground system would work in Edinburgh (I do) then it's that that's needed, not a system that would take up loads of overground space.

The trams work fine in Croydon. It should also be noted that the vast majority of crossrail in inner London will be underground.

an Edinburgh underground would prove impossible as Edinburgh is pretty much built on top of volcanic rock.

an Edinburgh underground would prove impossible as Edinburgh is pretty much built on top of volcanic rock.

Expensive, not impossible. It wasn't really my point though, I just meant there would be space for an underground logistically but there isn't space for an inner city overground railway

scott_jambo

Easy. The light train can go as fast as it wants until Haymarket. Then induce a speed limit. Simple.

Easy. The light train can go as fast as it wants until Haymarket. Then induce a speed limit. Simple.

That light train you speak of is a tram. Trains require platforms. DLR also runs on a conductor rail and you can't have 650 volts right next to the public.

Ron Burgundy

There are people being denied medical treatment and waiting ridiculous timescales for operations etc due to a lack of cash and yet we spunk billions on something totally unnecessary. I don't get it.

The trams will be extended in my opinion. The North South line will cross the city centre going North to South up Lothian Road, though Tollcross through the Meadows skirting the quarter mile development, and out on to Newington and south that way. They won't bother attempting via The Bridges.

Lavrentiy Beria

Have used them a couple of times, and on both occasions they were better than your taxi.

Cheeky slope