Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

Did we get a vote on the new Forth Road Bridge or dualling the A9?

The reason we got the tram tho was we got a vote on congestion charging but the council tried to have 3 paying zones and it got rejected , rightly so IMHO , although a city centre charge would've done , they then TOLD us we were getting the tram away back in 2005

The reason we got the tram tho was we got a vote on congestion charging but the council tried to have 3 paying zones and it got rejected , rightly so IMHO , although a city centre charge would've done , they then TOLD us we were getting the tram away back in 2005

My understanding was that the congestion charge was to help fund the line down to the new Royal. The current one was already funded.

Congestion charge predated the tram work iirc , if they'd just had a city centre charge it would have went thru no problem but unfortunately they got greedy

What I don't get is IF the council are planning to increase the line to leith why are they widening the leith walk pavements and resurfacing the road ? - at a fair expense too I'd have thought just to dig it all up again shortly .

Again I'm not anti tram but the people in charge of the project ( council side) are at best incompetent and shouldn't be anywhere near any future development of the tram network

Carl Spackler

Well the one thing I thought the trams might be good for was when there's a big match at Murrayfield. I was wrong.

Instead of letting people stand at the platform at the top of the steps or even on the steps they were holding everyone at the bottom, This in turn cause a load of congestion on the road which isn't normally there.

So instead of making the situation better it's been made worse. Useless.

Well the one thing I thought the trams might be good for was when there's a big match at Murrayfield. I was wrong.

Instead of letting people stand at the platform at the top of the steps or even on the steps they were holding everyone at the bottom, This in turn cause a load of congestion on the road which isn't normally there.

So instead of making the situation better it's been made worse. Useless.

I got a tram yesterday from Princes Street to Murrayfield at half four. Waited ten minutes to get a ticket then spent the next 25m on the tram until we reached Murrayfield. I also got the tram from the airport to St Andrew Square the other week and it took 45m. Seems the tram only works for certain people at certain times of day travelling to certain areas. I want it to work but right now the benefits don't merit the expense given the other options available.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

On a course with work this week. Saughton to Haymarket in around 8 or 9 minutes this morning.

Excellent service.

Edited by Gavsy Van Gaverson

Dagger Is Back

Only been on a tram twice. Got one on Friday night heading into town. Was in a rush, ran for the tram as it pulled up and jumped on.

Conductress came along and I asked her how much, producing shrapnel out of my pocket.

?10 she smiled.

What?

You need to buy your ticket before you get on or it's a tenner.

OK, so I pay you a tenner?

Yip

Well can you not just sell me a ticket at ?1.50?

Nope, it's policy

So, had to get off at the next stop, buy a ticket and then waited for the next one.

C'est la vie but got me thinking. How much are we gonna make from unsuspecting tourists during the summer?

All in all it seems a bit off although I totally get why they're doing it.

Have to say though that compared to getting the bus, they're a dream. Clean, warm, free Wi-Fi, fast journey times - what's not to like?

Edited by Dagger Is Back

King Of The Cat Cafe

Moral dilemma: I bought an airport return a few weeks back and it was validated on way into city, but not cancelled on the way back to airport.

So next time, anyone think I should buy a single into the city and use up the old return on the way out?

dobmisterdobster

Moral dilemma: I bought an airport return a few weeks back and it was validated on way into city, but not cancelled on the way back to airport.

So next time, anyone think I should buy a single into the city and use up the old return on the way out?

Go for it if you can get away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

A ?400,000 study into the costs and benefits of extending the trams to Leith and Granton.

Laughable.

How can any feasability study possibly cost ?400?

Yup, they already know the best way for the trams to pay is to extend the line through the most densely populated area in Scotland - maybe they should just get on with it ASAP.

I suppose they want an in-depth report first though to have it in black-and-white.

Feasibility report:

Embra coonsil is bankrupt, hundreds of jobs going, 1/3 of all leisure centres going, schools crumbling, 30mil a year being spent on the loan repayments for existing tramline.

Leith Walk has been constantly dug up for about 6 years, and it feels as if it's the new "painting the forth bridge". Folk wouldn't notice if we dug it up again for more trams.

Embra coonsil cares not one jot for traffic mayhem.

End result: We need someone else to pay for it but we'll happily disrupt the entire east end of the city centre for a couple of years to build it, even though it only extends from York Place to MacDonald Road.

They have already done all the utility works cso it would just be laying the line and erecting the poles for the wires. Anyway, since the trams are here we have to make the best of it :)

Yup, they already know the best way for the trams to pay is to extend the line through the most densely populated area in Scotland - maybe they should just get on with it ASAP.

I suppose they want an in-depth report first though to have it in black-and-white.

I have no problem with them doing a study and making sure that it's the correct thing to do.

I have a problem with it costing ?400k though

I have no problem with them doing a study and making sure that it's the correct thing to do.

I have a problem with it costing ?400k though

It does seem a lot but I don't know how much stuff like that costs.  I suppose if they are getting lots of experts and doing it thoroughly it won't come cheap though.

Imagine the outrage if they did it on the cheap - more 'back-of-a-fag-packet' accusations.

It seems to be pretty settled that in order for it to make money it was always going to have to go down Leith Walk - getting an authoritative study to confirm that will surely help the council's case.

What mode of transport did the 90,000 passengers the tram claim travel per week use before the tram? They can't all have been car users! So all they have done is move the majority of its passengers  from the  buses. So what's the benefit? 

The Real Maroonblood

It does seem a lot but I don't know how much stuff like that costs.  I suppose if they are getting lots of experts and doing it thoroughly it won't come cheap though.

Imagine the outrage if they did it on the cheap - more 'back-of-a-fag-packet' accusations.

It seems to be pretty settled that in order for it to make money it was always going to have to go down Leith Walk - getting an authoritative study to confirm that will surely help the council's case.

What a lot of nonsense.

So since the start of this farce they didn't know what was required.

Don't make me laugh.

A total embarrassment.

As long as someone is having their bank balance increased what the hell.

What a lot of nonsense.

So since the start of this farce they didn't know what was required.

Don't make me laugh.

A total embarrassment.

As long as someone is having their bank balance increased what the hell.

No, they always knew it would have to go down Leith Walk (the most densely populated part of the entire country) to make money.  Why the airport section was built rather than this I don't know.

If the council hadn't undertaken an in depth study to prove that this was the case people would want to know why not.  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

People want proof that they have learned from past mistakes and they want the tram to make money - carrying out such a study to prove the viability of the line extension should do that.

140,000 more people in Edinburgh in the next 25 years.  They're going to have to get about somehow.   Motorways on stilts anyone?

What mode of transport did the 90,000 passengers the tram claim travel per week use before the tram? They can't all have been car users! So all they have done is move the majority of its passengers  from the  buses. So what's the benefit? 

People are much more likely to leave their car for a tram than a bus.

The Real Maroonblood

No, they always knew it would have to go down Leith Walk (the most densely populated part of the entire country) to make money.  Why the airport section was built rather than this I don't know.

If the council hadn't undertaken an in depth study to prove that this was the case people would want to know why not.  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

People want proof that they have learned from past mistakes and they want the tram to make money - carrying out such a study to prove the viability of the line extension should do that.

140,000 more people in Edinburgh in the next 25 years.  They're going to have to get about somehow.   Motorways on stilts anyone?

This study must have been done before the work started.

If they didn't it proves they are a shower of throbbers.

This study must have been done before the work started.

If they didn't it proves they are a shower of throbbers.

And if they used an old study from before the tram work started people would say (from the carry-on that accompanied the building of the truncated line) that that old study was discredited and worthless.

Damned if they do and damned if they dont.

The trams are here.  What to do?  Abandon the whole thing, rip up the lines and sell the carriages for what you can get?  Would cost a fortune and years more road works.  Leave things as they are?  Borderline profitability.  Bite the bullet and extend the line to Ocean Terminal? Most of the road works have been done, the capital costs (track, trams, overhead lines) have been met and there's more chance of the tram making money. 

Better just to park them at suitable locations along the route and lease them out as cafes/bars etc. Probably recoup the cost faster than continuing to run them as a poor man's bus!

Really? All those business types and tourists? Come on now. We all know why that section was built.

As for this study, there is a good chance it being done to see if they can still do it. Leith Walk has just went under a pavement widening process has it not? :unsure:

Feasibility report:

Embra coonsil is bankrupt, hundreds of jobs going, 1/3 of all leisure centres going, schools crumbling, 30mil a year being spent on the loan repayments for existing tramline.

Leith Walk has been constantly dug up for about 6 years, and it feels as if it's the new "painting the forth bridge". Folk wouldn't notice if we dug it up again for more trams.

Embra coonsil cares not one jot for traffic mayhem.

End result: We need someone else to pay for it but we'll happily disrupt the entire east end of the city centre for a couple of years to build it, even though it only extends from York Place to MacDonald Road.

HMsJ9Ld.gif

If they are planning to extend the line why have they narrowed the road on leith walk ? I have no idea to the cost of this work but it wouldn't be cheap and if the line gets the go ahead will it be ripped up again ?

Is it too much to plan ahead ?

It will become a benefit if they remove underused buses from the tram-route.

SUTOL - but the tram timetable might not suit everyone especially when they are prone to prangs with buses, balloons on the overhead wires etc., etc., etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Vehicle in breaking down SHOCKER.

Buses break down all the time, but the media doesn't report that.

Not sure why trams are any different?

Edited by Ragnar

The Treasurer

Vehicle in breaking down SHOCKER.

Buses break down all the time, but the media doesn't report that.

Not sure why trams are any different?

Buses didn't cost ?1billion for one route

Very interesting to see if the collapse of the governance of Transport for Edinburgh/Lothian Buses will go further than just the people nominally in charge - and take out one or two people at the Council.  Might mean relief from the prospect of tram line extensions.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/ian-craig-froze-out-lothian-buses-directors-1-3640878

Buses didn't cost ?1billion for one route

So expensive transport systems are immune from breaking down / experiencing technical problems, even in their first running year?

Very interesting to see if the collapse of the governance of Transport for Edinburgh/Lothian Buses will go further than just the people nominally in charge - and take out one or two people at the Council.  Might mean relief from the prospect of tram line extensions.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/ian-craig-froze-out-lothian-buses-directors-1-3640878

Ian Craig "spent ?269,000 on unbudgeted spending for brand launch of Transport for Edinburgh without consultation".

Horrific.

http://lothianbuses.com/news/article/passengers-flock-to-tfe

Number of bus passengers up by 3 million as well as tram numbers exceeding expectations.

Ian Craig "spent ?269,000 on unbudgeted spending for brand launch of Transport for Edinburgh without consultation".

Horrific.

Utterly indefensible and clearly he will have to go.

But the question is why Sue Bruce, Lesley Hinds and Andrew Burns are keeping him in post for now.  What hold over them does he have?

Edited by Coco

The Real Maroonblood

Utterly indefensible and clearly he will have to go. But the question is why Sue Bruce, Lesley Hinds and Andrew Burns are keeping him in post for now.  What hold over them does he have?

Brown envelopes.