Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

So the council are trying to get a cheap loan to bring the tram through a densely populated area in order to boost passenger numbers and help turn a profit. Good.

Regal Kingston

It has to go to Newhaven and beyond if possible.

The tram only really serves people from the west going into town and those going to the airport.

?1billion for that is an utter disgrace.

?1.5 billion for something that serves the whole town would still be an utter disgrace but at least more functional.

Don't see why laying tracks costs so much.

Surely we can do it on the cheap? Just draft in folk from the dole.

As the article says, most of the preparatory work / utility diversions has been done, the track and trams are bought and ready to use and apparently track laying technology has advanced (presumably from lessons learned from all the other lines being built around the world). All that needs done is the track to be laid.

The tram gives you a more reliable journey time. Leaving town along Corstorphine Road at 5pm less so.

I went along there before my holiday last week, at that time. Airport bus got through pretty easily and I've never had much of an issue at that time, on the Airport bus TBH.

As the article says, most of the preparatory work / utility diversions has been done, the track and trams are bought and ready to use and apparently track laying technology has advanced (presumably from lessons learned from all the other lines being built around the world). All that needs done is the track to be laid.

And I refer you to my earlier post - I think this beyond 'hating trams'. This is, fundamentally, about a deep rooted mistrust in the local authority to carry out a project of this scale. Do you trust them not to **** it up again?

scott_jambo

Thanks for that, so I'm better (quicker) taking the bus than the tram.

Crazy!!

Free Wifi on the bus too.

Guaranteed a seat on the bus too (I'll concede that you'll probably find an empty set on the trams as well, but only because they're mostly empty)

And I refer you to my earlier post - I think this beyond 'hating trams'. This is, fundamentally, about a deep rooted mistrust in the local authority to carry out a project of this scale. Do you trust them not to **** it up again?

Was there not some issue with an agency withdrawing and that's when things really started to go wrong - they were reintroduced and things progressed better. Perhaps if independent contractors were used to manage any further extensions?

At the risk of this sounding like a petulant strop - what are we to do? It looks like the line will need to be extended to Leith in order to make a profit but people don't want any further works - so it'll continue to make a loss. Should the whole line just be abandoned - or should the council / Scottish Government try to make the best of a bad job?

Guaranteed a seat on the bus too (I'll concede that you'll probably find an empty set on the trams as well, but only because they're mostly empty)

Would the fact you're guaranteed a seat on the bus not also be because they are mostly empty too?

The Real Maroonblood

Would the fact you're guaranteed a seat on the bus not also be because they are mostly empty too?

To be fair the buses I have seen are pretty full.

Bridge of Djoum

No offensive t-shirts? GOOD....No Hibs, Huns or Cel*ic tops allowed then.

To be fair the buses I have seen are pretty full.

I was just interested in the strange paradox in cade's post. Unless the bus described is a rosa parks style effort where some people are guaranteed a seat no matter how busy. I actually ended up taking the bus when i got in from holiday last week. Was pretty full.

Tried to take the tram. Fully aware it's more expensive, but wanting the experience. Couldn't pay by card as it had expired during the holiday. Only had a ?20 note and the machines don't take them, just smash. Asked the tram man at the machines if he sold tickets. No, said he. That's a bit shit, said I. I asked where the change machine was, noting that many foreigners may not trust foreign card machines and are unlikely to have ?6 in change. Back in the terminal, five minutes away, he said. That's a bit shit, i said. Do the buses take notes, i asked. Dunno, he said. You're a bit shit, i said.

Needlessly grumpy from me, but now that the novelty has worn off before i even used it I can't imagine i'll bother using the trams unless they magically become cheaper and faster than the bus. The bus that was very comfortable, had free wifi and was fast.

Edited by 2NaFish

The Real Maroonblood

I was just interested in the strange paradox in cade's post. Unless the bus described is a rosa parks style effort where some people are guaranteed a seat no matter how busy. I actually ended up taking the bus when i got in from holiday last week. Was pretty full.

Tried to take the tram. Fully aware it's more expensive, but wanting the experience. Couldn't pay by card as it had expired during the holiday. Only had a ?20 note and the machines don't take them, just smash. Asked the tram man at the machines if he sold tickets. No, said he. That's a bit shit, said I. I asked where the change machine was, noting that many foreigners may not trust foreign card machines and are unlikely to have ?6 in change. Back in the terminal, five minutes away, he said. That's a bit shit, i said. Do the buses take notes, i asked. Dunno, he said. You're a bit shit, i said.

Needlessly grumpy from me, but now that the novelty has worn off before i even used it I can't imagine i'll bother using the trams unless they magically become cheaper and faster than the bus. The bus that was very comfortable, had free wifi and was fast.

I'm not surprised the novelty has worn off with that experience.

davemclaren

Did the bus give change?

Did the bus give change?

Couldnt tell you. They've got a little booth near the stop that I used.

davemclaren

Couldnt tell you. They've got a little booth near the stop that I used.

To buy tickets or give change? If the former it's odd they don't sell tram ones as well given they ate the same company.

Seymour M Hersh

I was told that the frequency of the Airport Bus had already been reduced. Can anyone confirm this? I always thought this would be a clowncil plan to force folk onto the white heffelump.

To buy tickets or give change? If the former it's odd they don't sell tram ones as well given they ate the same company.

to buy tickets and then give you change, if needed.

From what i recall the booth only seemed to be advertising the bus. there was no mention of the tram anywhere that i could see.

The Real Maroonblood

Thought they had put more buses on?

It's still every 10 minutes and it now runs 24 hours a day.

davemclaren

to buy tickets and then give you change, if needed.

From what i recall the booth only seemed to be advertising the bus. there was no mention of the tram anywhere that i could see.

Very odd.

Seymour M Hersh

Thought they had put more buses on?

Can't see that happening Dave. Waverley Bridge is 300 yards (or so) from the tram stop in St Andrew Sq. CI can only see them reducing the bus service to "encourage" folk onto the trams.

willie wallace

Just shouted at my first tram today[ no bad or insulting language used]

.Was putting my elderly parents on at the Gyle and was trying to scan their bus passes or smart cards as they are known in tram talk[good luck with that mum and dad].There was another family struggling with tickets but the tram just pulled off.

I thought that the conductor would be able to check the cards of oider people who maybe don't understand the system but apparently not.

The Real Maroonblood

200 people caught, no idea how many others got away with it. :gok:

How do they enforce the fines?

They could pursue you through the courts for theft. Tram inspectors have cameras on them and take a pic of offenders to aid identification.

Can;t wait to see what happens when people tell them to bolt for their ?10 fine.

Fare evasion is a problem everywhere. It's hardly the trams fault.

What should be done instead? Just have one door so you have to pay the driver - how much would that slow things down? Perhaps have a conductor on every tram to collect fares - how much would that cost and would it even be effective on trams of that length?

They could pursue you through the courts for theft. Tram inspectors have cameras on them and take a pic of offenders to aid identification.

Can;t wait to see what happens when people tell them to bolt for their ?10 fine.

The ?10 isn't a fine it's the standard fare. If you refuse to pay it you can be fined a lot more (up to ?1000?)

• 1 month later...
The Real Maroonblood

Now that I've used them several times now my verdict is they are excellent. Build more lines as soon as possible.

Edinburgh badly needs more road works.

My one and only experience to-date was about 2 weeks ago. I got on the tram at York Place with Haymarket as my destination. After it stopped at St Andrew's Sq for about 3 or 4 minutes we continued the journey which took 25 mins to reach Haymarket. It wasn't a particularly hot day but the tram interior was very hot and uncomfortable. I thought 25 mins for such a short distance was a bit long. I won't be rushing to use it again.

Edinburgh badly needs more road works.

There doesn't need to be many more road works in the City Centre though.

The quality of the trams themselves is impressive. Fee Wifi being fitted now. And also, all the staff I've dealt with have been top notch.

Edinburgh badly needs 21st century transport infrastructure.

Of course it does. I think that anyone saying they would prefer to travel across the city on a bus rather than a tram is telling porkies, or hasn't been on a tram yet.

It should extended to Leith immediately. All it needs after that is a North - South line. And from throse two lines, branches and loops could be added.

Optimus Prime

Of course it does. I think that anyone saying they would prefer to travel across the city on a bus rather than a tram is telling porkies, or hasn't been on a tram yet.

It should extended to Leith immediately. All it needs after that is a North - South line. And from throse two lines, branches and loops could be added.

Pablo it's refreshing to hear people who have changed their opinion and seen the benefits now that they are up and running. The extension's you refer to will come, hopefully lessons have been learned on the financial side of things.

All roads lead to Gorgie

My one and only experience to-date was about 2 weeks ago. I got on the tram at York Place with Haymarket as my destination. After it stopped at St Andrew's Sq for about 3 or 4 minutes we continued the journey which took 25 mins to reach Haymarket. It wasn't a particularly hot day but the tram interior was very hot and uncomfortable. I thought 25 mins for such a short distance was a bit long. I won't be rushing to use it again.

The bit coming in and out of South St Andrews Street onto Princes Street is a nightmare at times. The busses have wait for trams to exit the corner and if there are trams coming in opposite directions you can be waiting for way over ten minutes just to clear that one junction. Getting through the city centre on a bus is taking far longer than it did pre tram, however I do use trams to get to the Gyle and Hermiston Gate so it would be hypercritical to slag them off too much. I agree they are a sweatbox when the sun shines though.

They have no air conditioning and very small windows, thus making them very uncomfortable during the summer months

Seymour M Hersh

Are you aware they are currently narrowing the road and widening the pavements down Leith Walk? There won't be room for buses and cars soon let alone adding a light railway.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/tram-bosses-pay-5-8m-a-year-in-loan-interest-1-3509309

?16,000 A DAY on loan repayments. How many passengers per day do we need to service that debt? :seething:

Leisure centres, libraries, youth centres all closing down, the roads in ruins, staff out on strike all the time due to changes to pay and conditions.....and we're giving ?16,000 A DAY away to pay off a debt for a wee toy tram line.

3fingersreid

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/tram-bosses-pay-5-8m-a-year-in-loan-interest-1-3509309

?16,000 A DAY on loan repayments. How many passengers per day do we need to service that debt? :seething:

Leisure centres, libraries, youth centres all closing down, the roads in ruins, staff out on strike all the time due to changes to pay and conditions.....and we're giving ?16,000 A DAY away to pay off a debt for a wee toy tram line.

The figures quoted in that article are shocking and the bit that worries me is the interest rates at the moment are favourable , if they go up as they will could it bankrupt the city ?

I've never been against the trams I just think the cost was/is too much

Outside rush hour they're never what you could call busy

The Real Maroonblood

The council are a disgrace.

The Real Maroonblood

I use them a fair bit and at different times of the day. Usually pretty busy.

It's a novelty at the moment.

And the real cost of this farce is

"THE city is forking out nearly ?16,000 a day to cover interest fees on the loan deals signed to deliver the tram project, the News can reveal.

It means the Capital is being saddled with a ?5.8 million annual bill to pay off the interest on borrowing for the ?776m network before making any dent reimbursing actual loans.

The cost of the interest payments was estimated at ?7.7 million a year in the business case for the trams - which would eat up almost the entire ?7.9 million it hopes to raise in initial annual income.

But favourable interest rates since 2011 have brought that figure down by almost ?2 million in the current year."

"Edinburgh?s trams will run at an operating loss over the next 15 years, according to the council?s financial projections."

Edited by Dannie Boy