Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

rossthejambo

These trams are a nightmare for congestion too. Anyone noticed that? :laugh: what are these things for!

Can't say I've noticed any difference from before they went in. It's summer, traffics always heaving at this time of year.

3fingersreid

Congestion is horrific at haymarket , north bridge at princes st , and Waverley bridge at princes st

it was never that bad before

Btw there is a line cross over at shandwick place so it'll be a reduced distance to there whilst the street parties on

Haymarket is messed up and the lights need sorted.

I'd put that down to CEC's incompetence rather than tram congestion though.

scott_jambo

Can't say I've noticed any difference from before they went in. It's summer, traffics always heaving at this time of year.

You don't commute round West End do you?

That light train you speak of is a tram. Trains require platforms. DLR also runs on a conductor rail and you can't have 650 volts right next to the public.

The do in Bordeaux

scott_jambo

The do in Bordeaux

Public transport that can't be near the public. Interesting theory from him who you have to admit.

Edited by scott_jambo

Public transport that can't be near the public. Interesting theory from him who you have to admit.

Hahaha who said that?

scott_jambo

Hahaha who said that?

You said. "You can't have 650 volts near right next to the public".

How do you think I got on the train?

Edited by scott_jambo

You said. "You can't have 650 volts near right next to the public".

How do you think I got on the train?

You certainly never climbed over a conductor rail I can assure you of that. Put one of them in an open street and you'd be peeling someone off it by the end of the day.

scott_jambo

You certainly never climbed over a conductor rail I can assure you of that. Put one of them in an open street and you'd be peeling someone off it by the end of the day.

You're right, I've never climbed over a conductor rail.

Bordeaux00024.jpg

Edited by scott_jambo

My Left Nut

Last night was brutal! Got of the tram at the west end after it sat at the stop for 5 minutes and walk back to get a 44. The 44 then passed the tram only to get stuck at the lights at Shandwick Place for 10 minutes! No idea what the hell is going on the that junction but it's a fecking nightmare! Can't remember it being that bad before the trams. Plus it was fecking roasting and those leather seats don't help!!

Edited by My Left Nut

The Bordeaux system isn't a conductor rail, it's a series of contact strips with a power supply at each one and only has current when the tram is fully on top of it.

scott_jambo

The Bordeaux system isn't a conductor rail, it's a series of contact strips with a power supply at each one and only has current when the tram is fully on top of it.

Correct. Electromagnetic.

Please re-open the South Sub to passenger traffic.

There's talk of doing it, think it was mentioned in the development plan the council put out recently.

Not that that's any guarantee of anything ever being done!

So the trams don't go to the Royal Highland Showground. Is this news?

Perhaps they should have spent additional millions building a branch line there to be used 3 days a year. I'm sure that wouldn't have added to the seethe.

The trams website also advertise the trams as "only 1200 meters from the Zoo".

ONLY 1200 METERS

ONLY 1200 METERS

Do The Dance

ONLY 1200 METERS

ONLY 1200 METERS

1200 meters, less than the distance of a walk between Tynie and Murrayfield. It's not far.

scott_jambo

1200 meters, less than the distance of a walk between Tynie and Murrayfield. It's not far.

Not very snappy from a marketing point of view...

3fingersreid

1200 meters when there's usually kids involved is a fair distance and as to building a stop for the RHS that only gets used 4 times a year how many times is murrayfield used and that was the single most expensive stop built ( most of the egg chasers will walk back into town)

There are more people living around Murrayfield than around the Royal Highland Showground and the station is on the route anyway, it didn't require a new line, spur or diversion.

scott_jambo

There are more people living around Murrayfield than around the Royal Highland Showground and the station is on the route anyway, it didn't require a new line, spur or diversion.

I don't think people were comparing Murrayfield to the RHS. They were comparing Murrayfield to the Zoo.

1200 meters when there's usually kids involved is a fair distance and as to building a stop for the RHS that only gets used 4 times a year how many times is murrayfield used and that was the single most expensive stop built ( most of the egg chasers will walk back into town)

3fingersreid

More people over the course of a year will go to the zoo than will go to murrayfield so why is the stop closer to the stadium than the zoo ?

Too many of the tram stops are too far from the bulk of the people living on or close to the line which is the biggest problem I have with it (aside from the cost)

The Real Maroonblood

More people over the course of a year will go to the zoo than will go to murrayfield so why is the stop closer to the stadium than the zoo ?

Too many of the tram stops are too far from the bulk of the people living on or close to the line which is the biggest problem I have with it (aside from the cost)

They probably think Murrayfield is a lot posher.

BoJack Horseman

The trams are purely for tourists getting to and from the airport. Nothing more. It's a tourist attraction at the inconvenience of the rest of the city.

All the more reason for its extension down Leith Walk - the most densely populated area in Scotland.

The Real Maroonblood

All the more reason for its extension down Leith Walk - the most densely populated area in Scotland.

Why, there is already a good bus service in place.

GlasgoJambo

dense population

:look:

Aye there's only the 9 bus routes there already :look:

Why, there is already a good bus service in place.

For the same reasons cities all over Europe and beyond are introducing or reintroducing tram services.

Aye there's only the 9 bus routes there already :look:

All those buses? Pumping out all those fumes? Should just take an electric tram. Clean, comfortable and much more likely to get commuters out of their cars.

If you wanted the line nearer the zoo would you have it running along Corstorphine / St Johns Rd? It would probably (currently) pick up more passengers but some people think trams cause congestion. What would they make of trams running along St Johns road?

All roads lead to Gorgie

ONLY 1200 METERS

ONLY 1200 METERS

That is only about 4 minutes away.

If your name is Mo Farah. :bucktooth:

I need to take public transport to the airport on Monday, flight is at 18.50 so looking to get there about an hour before.

I was thinking about getting a bus into Edinburgh centre then taking the tram, is this the best option and at what time should I be aiming to get into Edinburgh?

The trams are purely for tourists getting to and from the airport. Nothing more. It's a tourist attraction at the inconvenience of the rest of the city.

Rubbish, cars and buses used to be backed up at South Gyle Crescent from the round about at the East. all the way to the Royal Mail building between 4.30 and 6.15 every week day. Clear now, build up starts after the round about heading into town. People out that way are obviously using the trams, I use a motorbike, to get to and from work, but tram if heading into town after work.

I'd be more for the trams if there were concrete plans in place to expand them properly (as I've said previously I agree with the principle but fully against the implementation). I've been on tram networks in a number of countries and cities, though none of them seem to want to expand, judging by the chats with locals. All of them have substantial networks with more than one line to two certain places. I was recently in Norway and of the four cities I visited, Oslo and Bergen had them. Oslo's were fairly rickety (as have been most of the trams I've been in!) and Bergen's seem to have just been upgraded. The main thing is they both had a proper network, with a variety of destinations and all (from what I was told) at a fraction of the cost of our one line.

I've been having a wee think about it and I really do feel that more would be for the trams if there was more trust in the Council. I dont know many who have positive things to say about those that make certain financial situations and this has, IMO, clearly influenced, rightly I think, people's opinions about them. The political point scoring has not helped either, further influencing opinions.

I have to ask, to those on both sides of the fence, do you trust the Council to expand the network without making a total **** up of it again?

Edited by Chester?

scott_jambo

Rubbish, cars and buses used to be backed up at South Gyle Crescent from the round about at the East. all the way to the Royal Mail building between 4.30 and 6.15 every week day. Clear now, build up starts after the round about heading into town. People out that way are obviously using the trams, I use a motorbike, to get to and from work, but tram if heading into town after work.

Ok. It is for tourists and people at south gyle crescent.

Thank god South Gyle Crescent is less busy. ?800 million well spent.

The west end at town is backed up during rush hour but as long as South gyle crescent is ok.

Edited by scott_jambo

The Real Maroonblood

I need to take public transport to the airport on Monday, flight is at 18.50 so looking to get there about an hour before.

I was thinking about getting a bus into Edinburgh centre then taking the tram, is this the best option and at what time should I be aiming to get into Edinburgh?

If you have plenty time get the bus (100) at Waverley Bridge at about 16:30 gets to the airport about 5 O'clock get through the security once you have arrived chill out with your favourite tipple until it's time to board.

2 hours free wi-fi at the airport.

Enjoy your trip.

3fingersreid

If you wanted the line nearer the zoo would you have it running along Corstorphine / St Johns Rd? It would probably (currently) pick up more passengers but some people think trams cause congestion. What would they make of trams running along St Johns road?

810,000 visitors in 2013 surely means it should at least mean it was seriously looked at , obviously no chance of it going along St Johns rd so what about turning down at Pink hill then turning southward along the golf course using the walkway that once was a railway line and on the route it takes from Balgreen?

Surely the idea is to get as many on the tram as possible yet from haymarket heading west the only stop that is really easily accessible to a large number of the public is at Carrickknowe before it gets to the Gyle .

When the dark nights come back I'd be surprised if any elderly folk and single women fancy standing at the Balgreen stop given that it's very isolated and only accessible by walking up a lane between the old Jenners depository building and a brick wall.

As to the reduction in traffic congestion absolute shite haymarket ,Waverley bridge and the north bridge at princes st is horrific the pollution levels WILL be up in they areas .

9 minutes I sat at the haymarket junction on Wednesday surrounded by vehicles with engines running , the tram might be green but it's power source supply and the fumes from other vehicles in jams certainly nullify that

If you have plenty time get the bus (100) at Waverley Bridge at about 16:30 gets to the airport about 5 O'clock get through the security once you have arrived chill out with your favourite tipple until it's time to board.

2 hours free wi-fi at the airport.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for that, so I'm better (quicker) taking the bus than the tram.

Crazy!!

Thanks for that, so I'm better (quicker) taking the bus than the tram.

Crazy!!

The tram gives you a more reliable journey time. Leaving town along Corstorphine Road at 5pm less so.