The Ashes

Boris

btw had anyone else heard the term "Diamond Duck" before? Meaning out without facing a ball like Katich in the Aus 1st innings OR out first ball in an innings. I've played and followed cricket for a long time and can't say I've come across it but I remember chat about an Emerald Duck for being dismissed the first ball of the season.

I ve followed cricket for 26 years and i have never heard of a Diamond Duck

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't to far off

Anyway this is the day England should be looking to smash the Aussies out of the series

England to have a lead of 300 ish so 550 all outthumbsup.gif

Good shout for yesterday .... well worth a bet if only you had a phone number for an Indian bookie :santa1:

stirlingshirejambo

well here we go.

let's hope that KP can get his century i'm sure he will then try step up scoring rate as rain forecast over next couple of days.

I ve followed cricket for 26 years and i have never heard of a Diamond Duck

I have. I remember it being used a lot at school actually.

We were not allowed to play cricket at our schoolverymad.gif

We weren't allowed to play as much as we should have been either. :(

We weren't allowed to play as much as we should have been either. :(

Well done KP, it's a bit different for him to get to 100 with so little drama.

Did you ever have a Diamond Duck? I've opened the batting regularly and it would be my nightmare! Never happened to me though :thumbsup:

Well done KP, it's a bit different for him to get to 100 with so little drama.

Did you ever have a Diamond Duck? I've opened the batting regularly and it would be my nightmare! Never happened to me though :thumbsup:

I did. :( Only once mind, and all the fault of my opening partner, of course. <_<

Geoff Kilpatrick

We called it a platinum duck. It happened to a guy in our school team.

I'm at the beach today so will have to juke off to the car for commentary snippets but well done KP!

stirlingshirejambo

Well done KP kick on now make it a big hundred grind the Aussies into the ground.

I have never heard of a diamond duck either not sure how often they happen in tests.

could see it more in run chases in 20.20

Commander Harris

The best thing about Channel Nine out here. Sir Richie in the box!

lucky bandit!

a wee hypothetical, if I were resident in Australia and wanted to watch this station via the internet, would there be a (legitimate, of course ;)) way to do this?

Era Macaroons

Re Diamond Ducks

I can only think it must be when your at PE @ school

and the teacher says right were playing cricket today

so you go down for a game of cricket for an hour minus minus changing time(s) with 29 other kids , 14 of which get 2 shots each, 15 of which dinny get shot at all, but its ok cosyour a fielder next...you can be a fielder....catch them out...etc.

ok...

I thought thats what a Diamond Duck was ...to play a gme of cricket ...yet neither have batted or fielded a ball...or even get within 20 meters of it during the whole game.

can we play football next week Sam...

stirlingshirejambo

Watched a good programme on Freddie Flintoff today about his career and it struck me he was one in many a long line of being tagged the "next Ian Botham"

England at last seem to be playing with a settled team with only 4 bowlers and 6 batsmen without the obsession of havin a genuine all rounder

Watched a good programme on Freddie Flintoff today about his career and it struck me he was one in many a long line of being tagged the "next Ian Botham"

England at last seem to be playing with a settled team with only 4 bowlers and 6 batsmen without the obsession of havin a genuine all rounder

I think it's been easier to give up the obsession when 2/3 of the 4 bowlers can all contribute with the bat too. Also the wk has become the all rounder.

Apart from the flash in the pan hat-trick in the first test this Aussie attack is the worst in living memory. The captain is tactically inept and selection is rife with controversy over promising players being ignored for years, sometimes through their entire careers.

This England team is a very good all-round team, but not a superstar team by any means.

Australian cricket needs to have a seriously long hard look at itself.

Having lived in Sydney for many years, I am only too pleased to see the locals hammered at sport, especially cricket, given their arrogance, which outdoes the English in its narrow nationalism.

{I do have some time for their football side (K.Muscat apart), fighting the Murdoch/AFGL/NRL empires}

ToadKiller Dog

For any cricket fans Euro sport 2 Sri Lanka vrs West Indies , Chris Gayle on 310 not out (9 sixes ) ,windies at 527 for 3 as i type . I dont think Gayle gets the respect he deserves at times a class Batsman in the West Indies mould .

Geoff Kilpatrick

For any cricket fans Euro sport 2 Sri Lanka vrs West Indies , Chris Gayle on 310 not out (9 sixes ) ,windies at 527 for 3 as i type . I dont think Gayle gets the respect he deserves at times a class Batsman in the West Indies mould .

Gayle's a great batsman. I went to a one-dayer between the Aussies and the Windies at the G back in February and the minute Gayle got out early you might as well have gone home (I was in the Member's so the cricket was incidental :) ). He's very like Pietersen in shot-making ability but his discipline is very suspect.

Having lived in Sydney for many years, I am only too pleased to see the locals hammered at sport, especially cricket, given their arrogance, which outdoes the English in its narrow nationalism.

{I do have some time for their football side (K.Muscat apart), fighting the Murdoch/AFGL/NRL empires}

Spot on HK, they really do deserve a good slap in the mush when it comes to sport

ToadKiller Dog

Gayle's a great batsman. I went to a one-dayer between the Aussies and the Windies at the G back in February and the minute Gayle got out early you might as well have gone home (I was in the Member's so the cricket was incidental :) ). He's very like Pietersen in shot-making ability but his discipline is very suspect.

I think the lack of Discipline is partly why he is no longer the teams Capt ,Sri lankan wickets are batter friendly but by accounts he has been totally switched on for this score could threaten Laras 400 not out as not much on offer for the bowler from what i see .

Wasn't to far off

Anyway this is the day England should be looking to smash the Aussies out of the series

England to have a lead of 300 ish so 550 all outthumbsup.gif

Got the score but a way out on wickets down

Anyway England to throw the bat and add another 100 runs then its time to win the matchthumbsup.gif

Got the score but a way out on wickets down

Anyway England to throw the bat and add another 100 runs then its time to win the matchthumbsup.gif

Home team getting a real kicking in the local press

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/more-pain-and-humiliation-as-england-affirm-shift-in-power-20101205-18le4.html

On yet another domineering day for England in the second Test, even Australia's occasional moral victories contained presentiments of the crushing defeat to come. Kevin Pietersen made England's second double-century in seven days, building their lead to more than 300 and demoralising Australia both by its scale and its chilling effortlessness.

The Australian bowlers took two wickets, about their going daily allowance. The seamers beat the bat every other hour or so, Shane Watson happened on a little reverse swing and Marcus North found occasional sharp spin, all of which served only to remind Australia's footsore and leg-weary batsmen about how fiendishly difficult survival will be on the last two days on a pitch that is wearing at a proper Test match rate. When it was perfect on day one, they made a paltry 245.

Advertisement: Story continues below

One counter indicator of hope for Australia remains: rain, which swept in at tea yesterday, is expected to disrupt play intermittently today and tomorrow, and might yet deliver Australia an ill-deserved draw.

How quickly it seems the tables have been upturned. As recently as two months ago, two Australian players insisted that Australia were still No.1 in the world, belying the rankings. Punters made Australia warm favourites for this series.

It was the disposition of a country in denial. England beat Australia 18 months ago, arrived here with a higher ranking and better recent form and, after a hesitant start in Brisbane, have tyrannised Australia in the last six days of this series. In the white noise of 365-days-a-year cricket, this shift in power has been lost. Forcibly, England have reannounced it.

When England were at their abject worst a decade ago, they consoled themselves by showing endless repeats of their improbable win at Headingley in 1981. Now Australia has resorted to screening on continuous loop Shane Warne's audacious con job on England here four years ago. For Australia just now, yesterday cannot come too soon.

The gulf between the teams in this match can be summed up by the respective scores at the fall of the third wicket: Australia 2, England 351. For England, this was principally the work of Pietersen and Alastair Cook, both of whom had arrived in Australia under clouds after a northern summer of slim pickings. Here, they would surely be trampled.

Instead, each has a double-century, and Cook another century besides, and 450 runs in the series already. When at last he snicked a catch to the keeper yesterday, it was nearly 18 imperturbable hours of batting since his previous dismissal.

Pietersen then was merely 106. Inexorably, he doubled that. Counter intuitively for such a renegade character, he plays classically and aesthetically straight; in this, he is not unlike Ian Botham, hero of Headingley. But mere technical supremacy could never satisfy him. Some of his strokeplay yesterday was not so much unorthodox as supra-orthodox, it was as if he was hitting from a tee. It was a disdainful innings.

When 200 duly arrived, he did not follow dull modern protocol by turning to the dressing room, but went first to the rejoicing Barmy Army and went on bended knee, holding the pose and so cutting a figure like a Greek statue. The English have always enjoyed the classics.

Australia were helpless as rarely before. Ryan Harris found reserves where none seemed to exist to ruffle Pietersen's feathers with consecutive bouncers, and in the same over dismissed Cook, but it proved to be an aberration, not a resurgence. Poor Xavier Doherty was humiliated. After two days in the field, Simon Katich was limping on a sore Achilles and Watson conspicuously heavy in the legs (though he roused himself to take a wicket). Sometime today, they will have to open Australia's batting.

Ricky Ponting betrayed the bareness of Australia's cupboard by setting sometimes comical fields: three, closely packed, in the covers, three on the square-leg fence. Still Pietersen pierced them, twice in a row. When the next ball went to a fieldsman, it brought the crowd into the game, for Englishman and Australian alike sent up a Bronx cheer.

For the third day in a row, the Adelaide Oval was sold out. This was not so much in anticipation of stirring cricketing deeds as because in Adelaide, the Test is the place to be - at least Australia's beer could still be relied upon - and because the Barmy Army appears to have sent for reinforcements since Brisbane. Author and broadcaster John Harms said the collective state of the crowd could be summed up thus: ''Hung over.'' As they come to terms with their cricketing mortality, Australia must get used to that throbbing.

Nelly Terraces

Jeezuz, their press is worse than the pack over here!

England declare, now the fun and games should begin...

thehibsareintheirbeds

They look a beaten side already, it'll take some effort to save this. Couple of early wickets then swann to cause some mayhem

Aussie openers have started well.

This will not be easy, this pitch still has plenty runs

England will have to be patient

Big wicket right at the death. Pietersen doesn't bowl enough I think.

Bet England would rather it had been Hussey out rather than Clarke. But it is set up for a great last day now.

ToadKiller Dog

I agree with Bothams summing up England a wee bit too cautious in field placings a bit more aggression may have had a few more wickets.

Great end though they should still go onto win if the weather holds up .

The Aussies used to do that to england all the time and take a late wicket after a decent days batting from England .

Geoff Kilpatrick

The weather forecast is not promising tomorrow. I think it'll be a draw and on to the WACA.

Geoff Kilpatrick

travesty if England dont win this test due to the weather - they have been fantastic.

Maybe, but England have benefited in the past. Swings and roundabouts.

Pietersen doesn't bowl enough I think.

Ive discussed that with fellow England fans often enough. We all agree he needs to bowl more. Certainly gives a good alternative and arguably a better one than Collingwood IMO. If I mind right, he began life as an all-rounder/bowler.

Some of the chat on here is very like that of the wee teamers. If a nation of 20 million can regularly hammer and humiliate a nation of 50 million (plus whatever South Africans they can drag in on a technicality) then I think they deserve to be a bit arrogant. When the nation of 50 million are the worst losers on the planet then I think the arrogance of the Aussies is well justified.

Nelly Terraces

Massive wicket for England that. Come on lads, polish them off.

Can't believe the news about Broady, totally, utterly, spewing about that, akin to Rudi getting a broken leg for me that news. Blokes a ***** hero.

The tension here is unreal.....

Ive discussed that with fellow England fans often enough. We all agree he needs to bowl more. Certainly gives a good alternative and arguably a better one than Collingwood IMO. If I mind right, he began life as an all-rounder/bowler.

I'm sure that when he was young, he played against England for a South African state team, principally as a bowler and batting at no. 9.

I wonder if he should try leg spin. His batting style shows that he has very flexible wrists, which suggests he perhaps should bowl wrist rather than finger spin.

Archived