The Ashes

Boris

Well, it all starts tonight/early tomorrow morning.

This should be a very interesting series with England in as good a shape as they have ever been in their attempt to win, or not lose, a series down under.

Australia have had a pretty poor run up to The Ashes, losing a Test series in India (no major embarrassment there) and then a one day series at home to Sri Lanka. The surprising exclusion of Nathan Hauritz as the Aussie spinner suggests that Ponting doesn't fancy him, but will Xavier Doherty do any better? And is it a huge gamble by the Aussies to pick him if the only reason is to pin down and trouble Kevin Pieterson?

Time will tell.

Personally, I don't think that the Aussies are a bad side. They have solid batsmen and decent bowlers and are of course at home and therefore more used to the conditions and the Kookaburra ball. However, I do think that England have the momentum and team unity to not only retain the Ashes but win the series too.

I expect Bell to do well with the bat and he could be the difference. If Swann can continue his good form with the ball then perhaps we will see an Aussie defeat at the Gabba for the first time in over 20 years.

Can't wait!

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mighty Thor

Well, it all starts tonight/early tomorrow morning.

This should be a very interesting series with England in as good a shape as they have ever been in their attempt to win, or not lose, a series down under.

Australia have had a pretty poor run up to The Ashes, losing a Test series in India (no major embarrassment there) and then a one day series at home to Sri Lanka. The surprising exclusion of Nathan Hauritz as the Aussie spinner suggests that Ponting doesn't fancy him, but will Xavier Doherty do any better? And is it a huge gamble by the Aussies to pick him if the only reason is to pin down and trouble Kevin Pieterson?

Time will tell.

Personally, I don't think that the Aussies are a bad side. They have solid batsmen and decent bowlers and are of course at home and therefore more used to the conditions and the Kookaburra ball. However, I do think that England have the momentum and team unity to not only retain the Ashes but win the series too.

I expect Bell to do well with the bat and he could be the difference. If Swann can continue his good form with the ball then perhaps we will see an Aussie defeat at the Gabba for the first time in over 20 years.

Can't wait!

Very much looking forward to this too.

I need to be up at 4am to get the early flight to Heathrow (screen shots of boarding passes available upon request whistling.gif ) so i'll catch some of the play whilst having my porage thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to seeing the massive fall out if the Aussies win this! Can see calls for a complete overhaul of the English game if they fail to retain the ashes in what should be their best chance to avenge the aussie whitewash of a few years ago!

Matthew Le Tissier

imo if and its a big if we win at the gabba we will win the series but if aus win it will be very much an uphill struggle. Swann and Broad have to hit the ground running.

imo if and its a big if we win at the gabba we will win the series but if aus win it will be very much an uphill struggle. Swann and Broad have to hit the ground running.

Very excited and am staying up to watch this tonight.

Aussies are a long way from their best but are a different proposition at home. I don't think a win at Brisbane is essential but avoiding defeat definitely is!

Mon Straussy WIN THE TOSS AND BAT!!!!

Matthew Le Tissier

Aussies are a long way from their best but are a different proposition at home. I don't think a win at Brisbane is essential but avoiding defeat definitely is! Mon Straussy WIN THE TOSS AND BAT!!!! [/quot

if we win in brisbane it will fill the side with confidence. Id take a draw tho. Winning the toss is vital though.

Have been listening to the lead-up on the local sports radio.

There is very little confidence that Australia can do much in this Ashes.

Ponting seems to have lost it as Captain. His field setting has been heavily criticised and it seems like the squad isn't 100% behind him.

Clarke is injured (back) and hasn't played a blinder in a long time. There is no settled team - blame for this seems to be on Ponting and the selectors who keep changing their mind what formation would be best.

In my 13 yrs here I have never seen the Aussie team in this sort of state. It really does look a shambles at the moment and unless they somehow galvanise themselves for the Ashes then I think England will win it.

Beefy was being interviewed yesterday and he is right up for it and said the England team is too. He mentioned he has put a wedge on Pieterson to be top scorer for the series. He says it's tremendous value.

You can't write Australia off and being almost the underdogs on their own patch is unheard of. Maybe the expectation will take it's toll on England? An intriguing series ahead - can't wait for it either. The general consensus over here is that England will win. Crowds will be waaaaay down if recent matches are anything to go by. The public can sense the disunity in the team and aren't up for it like they were with recent world beating teams. The noise of the barmy army will be heard more this year than previously.

Geoff Kilpatrick

All I want is for it to be competitive by the time Boxing Day rolls around. I cannot wait for that!

Prediction:

1st Test - Australia win

2nd Test - England win

3rd Test - Draw

4th Test - Australia win

5th Test - England win

England retain the urn.

The Treasurer

Not often you see the word interesting in a thread about cricket smile.gif

England clearly on a high at the moment. Settled team of experienced players. Best spinner in the world. Australia struggling for form. So the England side is going into the series with the highest expectations of a win I can remember.

However, I suspect it will not be nearly so simple as an England easy win. Should be good viewing though.

All I want is for it to be competitive by the time Boxing Day rolls around. I cannot wait for that!

Prediction:

1st Test - Australia win

2nd Test - England win

3rd Test - Draw

4th Test - Australia win

5th Test - England win

England retain the urn.

Think it may be a drawn series too, but with so little between the sides, I imagine there might be more drawn tests. Batting averages are almost identical, so of if both sides bat to form it's up to the bowlers, and the English bowlers are very inexperienced in Australian conditions. England stand a better than average chance, but that could be down to Australia being on the slide rather than England being on the up.

The Mighty Thor

Clarke has apparently been declared 'fit' although commentators reckon he's 60% fit at best. Important for the Aussies that he plays although that could all backfire spectacularly.

The Real Maroonblood

Aussies are a long way from their best but are a different proposition at home. I don't think a win at Brisbane is essential but avoiding defeat definitely is!

Mon Straussy WIN THE TOSS AND BAT!!!!

It should help your insomnia.

:whistling:

chester copperpot

Cannot wait for this to start. I am even having an afternoon nap in order that I can stay up for this tonight.

Still think the Aussies will win the series but England have their best chance since I started following them

ToadKiller Dog

If England go out and play combative aggresive cricket they will be far to good for the Aussies and should hold onto the Ashes ,

but England at cricket for the most part are too cautious and this has cost them far to often when overseas more so in Oz , Australia

will depend a lot on Pointing scoring runs England target him knock him over early then Aussie confidence will crash .

Should be a decent series but thought that the last time England went there , Cricket maybe the only sport where i am happy to back England except

when playing the Windies .

The Treasurer

Genuine question for all you cricket lovers.

Why do so many Scots follow ingerlaund at cricket ?

I've heard the argument that it's because Scotland are crap, but we're crap at most sports and you don't get loads Scots cheering on ingerlund at other sports so why is cricket different ?

ToadKiller Dog

I've heard the argument that it's because Scotland are crap, but we're crap at most sports and you don't get loads Scots cheering on ingerlund at other sports so why is cricket different ?

For me its the West Indies i tend to back at international level because i grew up watching them demolish everybody in the early 80s and there playing style was good to watch . Its easier to watch England at cricket because we are not a rival at any level and Cricket comentators dont tend to have the "england expects "and " for st george and prince harry " attitude . They are more used to loosing so tend to be more balanced in outlook to what they expect ,

Nelly Terraces

I am moist in anticipation of this series, it promises to be an absolute belter. I'll be staying up tonight to watch it for deffo.

The Aussies are all over the shop at the moment, but that's kind of to be expected with the best team to have ever played the game (imho) having nearly all retired at once, but they've not had the players coming in to even come close to these blokes, and the whole situation over Hauritz/Doherty smacks of desperation to me. England have settled team, crucial if you're going down under to do the business, whereas the Aussies, like I say, I don't think they've a clue who their best team is, and are lacking quality. Saying that, you can NEVER rule them out, espesh at home to England.

The crucial players for me are KP and Swanny for England. If KP can screw the nut and come into form then quite simply England will stroll it. If not, then it'll be a lot more difficult than they're making out, as they're pinning a lot on him to score major runs here. I think Swanny will be the man of the series, he is an awesome bowler, truly world class spinner, and a great team player, I think he will have the Aussies all over the show. A rampaging Swann on the loose in Australia, superb. Also, The Burnley Express, if he can get the ball to reverse, he'll have a field day out there I reckon.

For the Aussies, well obviously Captain Punter is the main man, if England get get under his skin and get him out then I think the Ashes are flying back to Blighty. You look at their squad and it just doesn't have that air of invincibility about it any more, Clarkes been declared fit, which is a bonus, but the rest, nah sorry, even Mitchell Johnson, great bowler, he's no Glenn McGrath.

I just think man for man England's better, but they're pretty slow starters, or at least have been recently, it's not a disaster if they don't do the damage at the Gabba. I'm going for a 3-1 England victory.

The only thing I've got the hump about is no Henry Blofeld on TMS! WTFs that all about, the man is a commentating legend and should be there. Anyone hear him on Sunday being interviewed by Colin Murray? best ? of hour of laughs I've had in ages. Even Murray, who confessed not to be a big cricket fan, said he was brilliant. Shame on the Beeb for not taking him along for a coupla tests. Still, Aggers and the rest will no doubt keep me entertained through the long dark winter nights.

Let battle commence. Enjoy it kids! :thumbsup:

This is a very interesting series for me. Australia aren't playing particularly well and England have their best chance to win over there since they won it last. Ive been impressed by how Strauss is containing the excitement from certain areas and that the players themselves are not getting carried away by it all.

The series hinges on Swann and if Jimmy can swing the Kookaburra. If either or both fail, it will be a long hard series with the Aussies edging it. If not, I can see us retaining the Ashes, though if I were betting, I think the money should go on a draw, therefore England retains.

As for why Scots support them, I think that in general, there is less hooha and arrogance about the team, the supporters and the media. The English Cricket Media is very scathing and never holds back in what they think. You just need to look at the commentary team, which give a flavour of just how it can be.

Ive been down to a number of Tests and One Dayers as a Scot and the banter has been great with the fans round about. No trouble, no sense of ill feeling nor feeling intimidated by those around me (and im in the middle of the Headingley Party Stand when I go as well!). Just good natured banter and enjoyment. Ive not experienced that in other sports TBH, except for pockets of fans in certain hockey rinks around the country.

Ive also a relation of my Gran's who played for Yorkshire and he taught me the ins and outs when I was wee. So it stemmed from that too.

Despite the name, England really means the UK (and Ireland I suppose). For example, currently the Irishman Eion Morgan is in the squad. Scotsman Mike Denness captain England from 1973-75 and perhaps most (in)famously the Scotsman Douglas Jardine Captained England for the Bodyline tour of Australia. Tony Greig captained England from 75-77 and although born in South Africa, he played for England due to his Scots dad. Welshmen have also represented England e.g. Robert Croft.

Scotland as a cricket nation currently do not play Test cricket. They have One Day International (ODI) status (I think - they may have lost that now, not sure), but are minnows compared to the traditional whipping boys of ODI cricket.

So perhaps Scots cricket fans see the English Test side as "theirs"? I know I do.

The crucial players for me are KP and Swanny for England. If KP can screw the nut and come into form then quite simply England will stroll it. If not, then it'll be a lot more difficult than they're making out, as they're pinning a lot on him to score major runs here. I think Swanny will be the man of the series, he is an awesome bowler, truly world class spinner, and a great team player, I think he will have the Aussies all over the show. A rampaging Swann on the loose in Australia, superb. Also, The Burnley Express, if he can get the ball to reverse, he'll have a field day out there I reckon.

I see what you are saying Nelly, but for me Ian Bell may just be the batsman of this series. KP can (and needs to) score runs, but Bell has come in under the Aussie radar a bit, not sure if they rate him, and so if the Aussies concentrate on KP then fine, but Bell will rack up the runs.

For the Aussies, well obviously Captain Punter is the main man, if England get get under his skin and get him out then I think the Ashes are flying back to Blighty. You look at their squad and it just doesn't have that air of invincibility about it any more, Clarkes been declared fit, which is a bonus, but the rest, nah sorry, even Mitchell Johnson, great bowler, he's no Glenn McGrath.

Can't stand Mitchell Johnson. And he chucks the ball! :P

Commander Harris

With cricket I do support Scotland, but when it comes to the top level, i.e. Test Cricket, there is no Scottish team. ? For me it makes sense to support our closest neighbours ?particularly because in cricket, as opposed to other sports, there has not been a long history of rivalry between England(England and Wales to be precise ;)) and Scotland.

For what it's worth I think this actually shows that the football related rivalry is precisely that, many Scots have no problem cheering on the England cricket team but some of these same people would actively support "anyone but England" in the football. ?In football the charge of anti-Englishness is often leveled but that's because people confuse sporting rivalry and politics. ?

I think it's good to see that when there is no historical sporting rivalry many Scots are happy to support their neighbours to the South. ?your initial question is "why do so many Scots follow ingerlaund at cricket" to which I'd answer "why wouldn't we?" ??

Nelly Terraces

I see what you are saying Nelly, but for me Ian Bell may just be the batsman of this series. KP can (and needs to) score runs, but Bell has come in under the Aussie radar a bit, not sure if they rate him, and so if the Aussies concentrate on KP then fine, but Bell will rack up the runs.

[/color][/size][/font]

Can't stand Mitchell Johnson. And he chucks the ball! :P

Bell is suspect, I've never been convinced and scores too many 'big' runs against the likes of Bangladesh, though you never know this time mate. KP IS genuine class, and if he can get his form back then that's it I reckon.

Agree about that welt Johnson, he is a Tosser (literally and metaphorically speaking) :D

The Treasurer

Thanks for the honest answers guys.

I still couldn't bring myself to support ingerlund though.

Mind you I'm not that keen on the Aussies either

Thank feck I think cricket is as exiting as watching paint dry biggrin.gif

When does this start? I realise late evening/early morning from the last time I watched it when it was in OZ....

Hoping for a good stream, otherwise...

TMS at the ready! :thumbsup:

Love watching Test cricket, even TMS is great. Far-cry from non-believing days of my youth.

Still hope England fail but not that bothered....several knighthoods/MBEs etc if they win though... :yucky:

When does this start? I realise late evening/early morning from the last time I watched it when it was in OZ....

Hoping for a good stream, otherwise...

TMS at the ready! :thumbsup:

Love watching Test cricket, even TMS is great. Far-cry from non-believing days of my youth.

Still hope England fail but not that bothered....several knighthoods/MBEs etc if they win though... :yucky:

First delivery should be about midnight tonight.

First delivery should be about midnight tonight.

Excellent. Build up on TMS and then try and jump on a stream.

Good stuff. :)

Like everyone else, really looking forward to the series. England really should win with Australia having looked shambolic recently. Don't really care who wins as long as it's competitive, and goes down to the last test.

Commander Harris

any legitimate ways to view this without a sky subscription? ?If not it's TMS for me. ? ?

Nelly Terraces

Excellent. Build up on TMS and then try and jump on a stream.

Good stuff. :)

TMS starts at 11.30pm tonight mate. It's on 5Live Extra/Web/R4LW.

I'm a purist, I always listen to TMS, with the sound off on TV.

I love TMS. :thumbsup:

Me too atm Commander... :ninja:

CH I would suggest nearer the time and checking out our 1st row you Dragnet.

Either that, TMS Rocks. :thumbsup:

Aye, will be staying up for a few hours watching this tonight. Fancy England strongly but hoping for an Aussie victory as it's them that first got me into cricket. The only thing about England is that they don't know exactly how good, or bad they are. A big win against Bangladesh doesn't count for much and a dodgy series against Pakistan, where at one point they are getting skittled for 2 and the tail ends up making hundreds!!! Australia on the other hand are pish poor, however, home advantage and a shocking away record for England makes it all a very intriguing series. Mon The Aussies!!!!!!!!!!

Got a bit of an all nighter on my hands with coursework so will have it on and glance over if I hear a bit excitement.

Going for a draw 1st test.

Trouble with this nowadays is the couple of seconds time delay on Sky so you hear the wicket going down before the ball gets bowled on screen :geek:

Trouble with this nowadays is the couple of seconds time delay on Sky so you hear the wicket going down before the ball gets bowled on screen :geek:

If you use your laptop does iplayer not have a pause button,or one of the radio apps.? I don't mind sky commentary team though.

The Mighty Thor

If you listen on a DAB radio or through t'internet then they are pretty much in line with Sky.

Personally i like listening to TMS with no TV on. thumbsup.gif

Geoff Kilpatrick

If you listen on a DAB radio or through t'internet then they are pretty much in line with Sky.

Personally i like listening to TMS with no TV on. thumbsup.gif

The best thing about TMS in Oz is that the ABC and BBC join forces. So the excellent Jim Maxwell is in the box alongside the likes of Aggers and Boycott! thumbsup.gif

The White Cockade

Test cricket is rubbish now compared to the 70's and 80's

Can remember getting back from school to watch Lillee and Thommo, Basil D'Oliveira, Alan Knott, Gary Sobers etc etc

and then the likes of Viv Richards, Botham, Mike Holding later on

Used to sit watching all day when it was on BBC with the tv sound off and TMS on the radio

even used to watch the John Player League on BBC2 on Sundays

Haven't bothered watching in years now as its just not the same

Some of the guys playing Test cricket these days wouldn't have been good enough for County cricket back then

Just my opinion although I enjoy listening to Holding, Botham, Lloyd and Gower on Sky - they are not Brian Johnston and John Arlott though

The best thing about TMS in Oz is that the ABC and BBC join forces. So the excellent Jim Maxwell is in the box alongside the likes of Aggers and Boycott! thumbsup.gif

It's great.

It was an Indian friend that got me interested as he used to play... all rounder for Haddington.

We'd then keep each other other updated on scores....mind you his opinion back then was that England are shite....he'd probably not think that now as well but I disagree.

Can see this being drawn although and according to Vaughn (this am) there was a lot of moisture around so could be interesting in who wins the toss.

Looking forward to some good cricket. :thumbsup:

The match is live on free to air here ( channel 9 I think). If you can find an Aussie proxy you can probably get a very high quality stream from them.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The match is live on free to air here ( channel 9 I think). If you can find an Aussie proxy you can probably get a very high quality stream from them.

Indeed and you get Sir Richie on commentary as well!

Not long now guys, I take it the crowds in Brisbane are notoriously slow in getting in the ground, still looks pretty empty at the moment. Plenty time I suppose. Mon The Aussies!!!

Nelly Terraces

Looking forward to Straussy and the lads getting a decent total in the 1st session, take the game away from the Aussies by end of today and setting it up for a great victory. :thumbsup:

The Gabba's a notoriously nightmarish place to get into hence the lack of crowd at the mo. The 1st 3days are all 40,000 sellouts.

England win toss and bat .... are you watching Nasser?

Mistake IMO.

There's a lot of moisture in the ground and in the air. That wicket will have a lot of life in the first innings - a good spinner could have caused a lot of problems for the less than confident Aussies.

Archived