The Ashes

Boris

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stirlingshirejambo

Did say that strauss doesn't look good going over top and didn't need to take chances.

good performance but think they might go into bit more defensive mode now

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Trott and Cook can bat to the close, England could put the Aussies under a bit of pressure on the last day. Either way, if England get a draw here they will be happy.

stirlingshirejambo

Temptation was too much to stay up

will probably end up a draw but moral england victory.

Few hours sleep then up for Motherwell trip. think could be off judging by overnight snow fall.

if it is will sneak enough sleep to see final day from the Gabba

Good night from the very snowy Borders

Hopefully 150 lead at the end of play :thumbsup:

Christ woke up this morning and i have had a tree collapse against the side of the house with the weight of snow :verymad:

and well done England

stirlingshirejambo

could be a fascinating night if england force the pace put on 150 by mid afternoon and the pitch is cracking up. . .

or it could be a slow boring draw which might suit both teams give them time to re group before second test

could be a fascinating night if england force the pace put on 150 by mid afternoon and the pitch is cracking up. . .

or it could be a slow boring draw which might suit both teams give them time to re group before second test

Draw for me

Only one team can win this test and that's the Aussies if they can bowl out England quickly and cheaply.

Christ woke up this morning and i have had a tree collapse against the side of the house with the weight of snow :verymad:

and well done England

Click to enlarge

post-10511-0-41557600-1290978135_thumb.jpg

Aussie attack was always pretty bland so this was likely to happen - a stalemate.

England would have won if they had bowled first when there was movement on the pitch and in the air on the first day.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If England get through the first session today without any mishaps, I reckon they'll declare and try and take a few Aussie wickets. The psychological edge for Adelaide is important.

If England get through the first session today without any mishaps, I reckon they'll declare and try and take a few Aussie wickets. The psychological edge for Adelaide is important.

If they don't sense victory then they might just make the Aussies field for most of the day. Another day like yesterday is just as potent a psychological edge.

Interesting to read the Aussie papers for the home side's view, pretty harsh on Johnson in particular

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/mitchell-johnson-has-no-wickets-no-runs-and-no-catches-at-the-gabba/story-e6frg7rx-1225962377163

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/johnson-hits-another-speed-hump-with-fruitless-gabba-performance-20101128-18cgh.html

and none too optomistic on their chances

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-its-time-to-start-preparing-for-the-very-worst-20101128-18cgj.html

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ashes-heroes-they-must-be-choking-20101128-18cgf.html

Draw....

I wasn't predicting that after what I saw from the OZ batsmen but then I fell asleep and they collapsed.....

Looking good for Boxing Day Geoff. :thumbsup:

Era Macaroons
Era Macaroons

Cook isn't the captain though.....

But point is taken....

hmm ok... all roles need filled to the max to get a result, and a travelling team gets nowhere without a good Cook.:chef:

Era Macaroons

Clarks ya bawheid.....

you win ,

shoes off tae ye.

crickets pish anyway,knot even worth a post

....hope the Aussies hit em for 6

Aggers and Boycott on TMS. :thumbsup:

Era, Ponting is captain...my last post was merely commenting at a dropped catch.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Magnificent by Cook. The media here have been made to look like chumps. Ponting is going to be taking dog's abuse before Adelaide!

Magnificent by Cook. The media here have been made to look like chumps. Ponting is going to be taking dog's abuse before Adelaide!

Quite right....Ponting has been captain way too long.

I was going to watch it, tried listening for a while but gave up. Just noticed Cook has a double century.

It's a draw..but a message being sent to OZ I feel.

Kaitch out for 4, the English look in the mood to try and take them in the remaining 36 overs.

Pointers is in next bets on a duck ???

stirlingshirejambo

pointing managed to make a statement regarding his batting.

didn't watch or listen to much last night but both sides can take positives from today.

Tremendous knock from Cook and trott and cameo from Pointing.

His captaincy will be questioned again though.

get good weeks sleep before all starts again Adelaide friday night:-)

Fantastic stuff from England, leaving the Aussies in a pickle.

The Aussie bowling attack didn't look all that, Mitchell Johnson had a 'mare and Doherty looks pretty ordinary. So, do the Aussies make changes for Adelaide or stick with the same? To change may be seen by some as desperation (already!) and again, as has been pointed out, Ponting's captaincy may be called into question.

Personally, I think Ponting is trying to get as good as he can with the attack he has available to him but he simply doesn't have a Warne or a McGrath to bowl consistently accurate, thereby heaping pressure on the batsmen.

So a draw, but a moral victory for England.

Also, great knocks from the top three - that'll put the Aussies gas at a peep too.

Fantastic stuff from England, leaving the Aussies in a pickle.

The Aussie bowling attack didn't look all that, Mitchell Johnson had a 'mare and Doherty looks pretty ordinary. So, do the Aussies make changes for Adelaide or stick with the same? To change may be seen by some as desperation (already!) and again, as has been pointed out, Ponting's captaincy may be called into question.

Personally, I think Ponting is trying to get as good as he can with the attack he has available to him but he simply doesn't have a Warne or a McGrath to bowl consistently accurate, thereby heaping pressure on the batsmen.

So a draw, but a moral victory for England.

Also, great knocks from the top three - that'll put the Aussies gas at a peep too.

I totally agree that this was a moral victory for England,after the first 2 days when everything went the Aussies way,the Aussies would have thought that they where of to a flyer.

That 517 for 1 batting on the 4th and 5th day will be very hard for the Aussies to reconcile.

Agree with Boris that The Aussies have a pretty weak bowling attack and are heavily reliant on their batsmen. However, Adelaide will be another run-fest, so I pretty much expect another draw. Then it is on to The WACA, where it should yield a result. Australia have to get their act together for that one with regards to the bowlers, lose that and The Ashes are gone I reckon. I would retain Johnson for Adelaide but if he doesn't perform then it will mean changes for Perth. Not sure who to bring in though.

Congratulations to England on a great fightback - you did Britain proud.

Errm..................they didn't win, or are you now down to celebrating glorious draws.

That 4th and 5th day batting is like something from the old days with the timeless tests.

Tremendous stuff from Cook, Strauss and Trott. Aussies will be very worried about their bowling attack now. Looking like it is going to be a great series.

Errm..................they didn't win, or are you now down to celebrating glorious draws.

They were as good as beaten a day or two ago but fought back magnificently. :thumbsup:

You wearing your England cricket top as you're off today? :lol:

Well everybody, the second test starts tonight at midnight live from the Adelaide Oval.

Mitchell Johnson has been dropped, which is a wee bit of a surprise. I assume Doug Bollinger will take his place.

Anyway, as of 5pm I'm off until next Wednesday so I shall be watching as much of this one as I can. Can't wait! :)

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well everybody, the second test starts tonight at midnight live from the Adelaide Oval.

Mitchell Johnson has been dropped, which is a wee bit of a surprise. I assume Doug Bollinger will take his place.

Anyway, as of 5pm I'm off until next Wednesday so I shall be watching as much of this one as I can. Can't wait! :)

Rain could affect this one. We are having bonkers weather Down Under as well with thunderstorms all over the shop!

Geoff Kilpatrick

FFS!!!!!!

Is nothing as it should be at the moment??????

:angry:

Edit: quick check on the BBC Weather for Adelaide got this...

http://news.bbc.co.u...er/forecast/283

Not looking too bad! :thumbsup:

Lucky crow eating bar stewards! We have humidity and thunderstorms further along the coast!

He is absolutetly crap and he was last time out in England when he got slagged mercilessly by the English batsman to the point he completely lost the plot in one game after nearly getting into a punch up at the wicket.

Looking forward to the Aussies getting a real hammering , hopefully. Pointing's shocking abuse of the umpire (captured by Sky) was incredible. How he wasn't hammered for calling the umpire a James Hunt to his face amazes me.

As long as England try and win this one this time it should be a good game. Batting like Alistair Cook did last week would be enough to get the game banned. Ten hours batting for 200 odd is never going to win you a Test Match. England had a chance to go 1-0 up last week and never went for it. Hopefully the Aussies will make them pay for that mistake starting tonight. Mon The Aussies!!!

As long as England try and win this one this time it should be a good game. Batting like Alistair Cook did last week would be enough to get the game banned. Ten hours batting for 200 odd is never going to win you a Test Match. England had a chance to go 1-0 up last week and never went for it. Hopefully the Aussies will make them pay for that mistake starting tonight. Mon The Aussies!!!

Can't agree with you there JWL. England did exceptionally well to avoid defeat rather than screw up a winning opportunity.

Can't agree with you there JWL. England did exceptionally well to avoid defeat rather than screw up a winning opportunity.

I tuned in last Saturday night here to Sky Sports as usual for the test. Botham came on and said that England will have no problem whatsoever in making up the by that time 160/170 deficit, and should in reality have a decent lead to take into the fourth day as there was absolutely nothing in the wicket. Now, when the time came and they were in front, they had the chance to kick on and give the fans a game of cricket. But, no, it was the ponderous 2.5 an over stuff, hardly the type of batting that will make me sit up for another couple of hours. They had a chance to take the lead, but played safe. You have to consider the question, do they want to win this series................or just retain the Ashes?

I tuned in last Saturday night here to Sky Sports as usual for the test. Botham came on and said that England will have no problem whatsoever in making up the by that time 160/170 deficit, and should in reality have a decent lead to take into the fourth day as there was absolutely nothing in the wicket. Now, when the time came and they were in front, they had the chance to kick on and give the fans a game of cricket. But, no, it was the ponderous 2.5 an over stuff, hardly the type of batting that will make me sit up for another couple of hours. They had a chance to take the lead, but played safe. You have to consider the question, do they want to win this series................or just retain the Ashes?

I see your point, although Botham can be a wee bit bullish at times.

Retention has to be the primary objective, but I think that England will fancy themselves to win the series and the Aussies have all the pressure on them.

Harsh JWL! Just coz Beefy says so doesn't make it so. Coming back from a 220 deficit was an outstanding performance in its own right. In the process they exposed Aussie weaknesses in the bowling & fielding department and let them know that this England team have a bit about them with the bat too. I was happy with the draw tbh I don't think there was a real chance of forcing the win after the huge 1st innings deficit. If the England bowlers had carried any luck in that 1st hour when Hussey and Haddin were batting and still behind then it could have been very different.

Anyway, what's the latest on the weather in Adelaide?

Harsh JWL! Just coz Beefy says so doesn't make it so. Coming back from a 220 deficit was an outstanding performance in its own right. In the process they exposed Aussie weaknesses in the bowling & fielding department and let them know that this England team have a bit about them with the bat too. I was happy with the draw tbh I don't think there was a real chance of forcing the win after the huge 1st innings deficit. If the England bowlers had carried any luck in that 1st hour when Hussey and Haddin were batting and still behind then it could have been very different.

Anyway, what's the latest on the weather in Adelaide?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/283

Could be rain affected for a couple of days...mellow.gif

Archived