The Ashes

Boris

Geoff Kilpatrick

245 all out Terrific start for England. Aussies rely on 3 batsmen for 200 of those runs!

See it out to the close now and look to pile on the pressure tomorrow! :thumb:

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nelly Terraces

Absolutley blinding day for England! Tried to stay awake last night, lasted till lunch, then woke a coupla times to hear wickets tumbling, bloody knackered now. Superb bwoling by Anderson, got movement, length, pace, exactly right, top man. Good to see the Swann baging a couple of wickets as well. On that pitch, bowling them out like that is a supreme effort. Dunno what Pontings problem is, having a go at the end of the game, what a welt, the pressure is showing on him and he's beginning to crack.

Look forward to England turning the screw tonight - anyone got a spare bottle of Pro-Plus!? :sweat:

Aussies look like they are one defeat away from really crumbling.

It must be hard for Ponting. He is the one superstar left from the golden era and the team round about him are nowhere near the class of all the time he has been playing Test cricket.

Brilliant for England though - to take the tremendous rescue of the last match into such a good bowling performance.

Thats good going bowling australia out for 245. If England get 400 or so in around 4 sessions they should win the test.

Managed to watch the morning session and then I went off to bed. Caught up with the rest of it on the highlights this morning. Good test match.

That's a worryingly low score for a first innings. Both sides posted 500+ first innings totals when they met in 2006 at Adelaide, and the Shield scores this season do not suggest it has become a bowler friendly track. Still, as Boycott says, you only know how bad a first innings total is when the other side have batted. That said, the next two days could make or break Australia. Having dropped Johnson and Hilfenhaus for Harris and Bollinger, Australia have nowhere else to turn if they can't take twenty wickets and they're less likely to win two out of three tests if they lose this one.

ToadKiller Dog

Credit to Jimmy Anderson (must have a scottish granny somewhere )he has come on to be a top class bowler ,I remember when he first started out for england his head was always looking away from where he was bowling and was prone to no control because of that , worked on it very hard over the years and getting the reward.

If the English batsmen can hold there nerve and not be too negative (which is often the english way) then they should be able to build a decent lead and win this test .

Away from the Ashes but still cricket related...

Scotland may be on the verge of one of those similar Glorious Failures more associated with the football team..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/scotland/9256316.stm

Last time they met Sctland were thrashed by Afghanistan.

I'm sure there's coverage of this on the website..possibly Scottish Cricket or something similar.

Nelly Terraces

Bit of a collapse in the 2nd innings there from Scotland. :ermm: If that wasn't bad enough, they're gonna go from Dubai back to the frozen Northlands here - they're in for a shock! :D

Bit of a collapse in the 2nd innings there from Scotland. :ermm: If that wasn't bad enough, they're gonna go from Dubai back to the frozen Northlands here - they're in for a shock! :D

That's if they even get back here.... :santa1:

Cricket everywhere = :pleasing:

If only the Ashes was during daylight might make up for the lack of Heart of Midlothian games.

Geoff Kilpatrick

That's if they even get back here.... :santa1:

Cricket everywhere = :pleasing:

If only the Ashes was during daylight might make up for the lack of Heart of Midlothian games.

You're a night owl anyway!

You're a night owl anyway!

Is there such a thing as a day owl?

Of course owls are active during the day...

Anyway, TMS is on. :santa1:

stirlingshirejambo

shocking leave by strauss.

All the talk about 400 plus just shows you've got to get through the new ball first before you can start talking about first innings lead

Nelly Terraces

No stream.....

TMS will do though! :thumbsup:

Is last nights not working Arnie? I just clicked on link you posted last night and it's working a treat mate.

Anyone on here go onto the BBC Live Text? It's superb, you get a good laugh on there.

I was out cutting the grass. I missed that! :(

Lucky youve grass to cut GK, ours is buried under about 3feet of snow. :ermm:

TMS has died.... :verymad:

I'll go back and check Nelly. :sweat:

EDIT: You're a good man Nelly! Or maybe I'm a good man for providing the link!

:santa1:

Love my santa smilies!

Nelly Terraces

TMS has died.... :verymad:

I'll go back and check Nelly. :sweat:

EDIT: You're a good man Nelly! Or maybe I'm a good man for providing the link!

:santa1:

Love my santa smilies!

It's all good! Even TMS is back up and running. :thumbsup:

Whats Bollingers coupon all about!

It's all good! Even TMS is back up and running. :thumbsup:

Indeed it is.

Get the Boycott on... he was only on at lunch yesterday as far as I'm aware.

I can hear his dulcet tones in the background.

EDIT: Needed that one..

Beeb have acknowledged that a wicket has occurred but hasn't let anyone know about it...

Dropped catch made it in though.

It's a conspiracy...

Geoff Kilpatrick

I don't know what to make of Trott. He has fantastic shot making ability but he offers a lot of chances. Yet his average is in the sixties which is a great effort in itself.

Hearts Heritage

Well done Cook . I would have dropped him at the start of the series. What do I know? ....

stirlingshirejambo

Yes another century for Cook

what a series he's havins.

Now is time for KP to kick on and get his first century in 18 tests

Just brilliant from England, as a long time follower it's almost jaw dropping.

What about Cook? The Sky commentators were talking about the (record) number of runs he has accumulated since his last dismissal but I don't think anyone's mentioned that he;s also been on the pitch (batting or in the field) for all but maybe an hour or so since the first ball of the Ashes!

Geoff Kilpatrick

What about Cook? The Sky commentators were talking about the (record) number of runs he has accumulated since his last dismissal but I don't think anyone's mentioned that he;s also been on the pitch (batting or in the field) for all but maybe an hour or so since the first ball of the Ashes!

This.

Now England need to go for the throat tomorrow. Win here and Australia need to conjure two wins out of three with a bowling attack so toothless it reminds me of England's in 1989.

It is great to see Kevin Pietersen back. His timing of the ball looks spot on. Hopefully he will crash on for a good few tomorrow. What a difference he will make to a solid England side if he has got his game back.

Tremendous batting from Cook again.

Aussies look a very demoralised bunch.

stirlingshirejambo

Aussies seem to be a team in dissaray and lacking leadership.

England need to go for throat tomorrow get 550.600 then as the pitch deteriorates finish the game and the series will be theirs.

It record number of minutes since his last dismissal not runs :thumbsup:

It record number of minutes since his last dismissal not runs :thumbsup:

.... turns out it's both minutes AND runs (maybe not too surprising)

btw the boy has only been off the park for 70 minutes since the first ball in Brisbane :smiliz23: Some stamina! I'm knackered just watching it

England in control it would seem.

Elsewhere, Scotland did their usual against Afghanistan.

Scotland: 212 & 82 :blink:

Afghanistan: 171 & 124 Winning by 7 wkts.

thehibsareintheirbeds

Looking forward to tonight, been catching up on some shut eye through the day so should manage most of the night. Half an hour to settle then kp and cook really need to punish them, plenty batting to come, so no need to be too cautious. Get to 600 then couple of early oz wickets

England in control it would seem.

Elsewhere, Scotland did their usual against Afghanistan.

Scotland: 212 & 82 :blink:

Afghanistan: 171 & 124 Winning by 7 wkts.

Christ. 82???

What are the consequence of that defeat?

just seen it's the final of the ICC Inter-continental cup

ToadKiller Dog

A more mature performance from KP in the overs up until the Aussies took the new ball (last 4 overs of the day ) he didnt let himself get frustrated as the runs for a short period dried up and get out to a stupid shot .

Cook has been excellent .

Have to say maybe the worst Aussie bowling attack i have seen in my life time ,there is no outstanding threat which should scare england . It does amaze that they have let the talent well run dry and didnt have anthing ready to replace Warne, Mcgrath and Lee .

As for Scotland i pressume the Afghan side has a lot of experiance from the Pakastani leagues.

Well, it all starts tonight/early tomorrow morning.

This should be a very interesting series with England in as good a shape as they have ever been in their attempt to win, or not lose, a series down under.

Australia have had a pretty poor run up to The Ashes, losing a Test series in India (no major embarrassment there) and then a one day series at home to Sri Lanka. The surprising exclusion of Nathan Hauritz as the Aussie spinner suggests that Ponting doesn't fancy him, but will Xavier Doherty do any better? And is it a huge gamble by the Aussies to pick him if the only reason is to pin down and trouble Kevin Pieterson?

Time will tell.

Personally, I don't think that the Aussies are a bad side. They have solid batsmen and decent bowlers and are of course at home and therefore more used to the conditions and the Kookaburra ball. However, I do think that England have the momentum and team unity to not only retain the Ashes but win the series too.

I expect Bell to do well with the bat and he could be the difference. If Swann can continue his good form with the ball then perhaps we will see an Aussie defeat at the Gabba for the first time in over 20 years.

passion for the game

Can't wait!

Can't be bothered to find your alteration post. Harsh but extremely fair...:) Made me laugh.

I don't have much passion for the game but the Guardian's ball by ball is extremely entertaining.

btw had anyone else heard the term "Diamond Duck" before? Meaning out without facing a ball like Katich in the Aus 1st innings OR out first ball in an innings. I've played and followed cricket for a long time and can't say I've come across it but I remember chat about an Emerald Duck for being dismissed the first ball of the season.

Mon the England

320 - 4 at the end of playthumbsup.gif

Wasn't to far off

Anyway this is the day England should be looking to smash the Aussies out of the series

England to have a lead of 300 ish so 550 all outthumbsup.gif

Archived