The Ashes

Boris

stirlingshirejambo

Heading back on the train. Crowd of 84k plus - all the Aussies had disappeared by close. Only downer was seeing a **** in a vermin shirt in the beer queue!

Good on you Geoff hope you had a great day.

Stdium looked empty during Srauss and Cooks demolition. Their players must have felt like the Hibs at the semi, rows upon rows of empty seats providing no support.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must have been brilliant to be there.

I was at a similar bowling performance by England - first day of the 2005 Ashes. But it was a bit spoiled by the Aussies then bowling England out that day too!

Anyone found a good cricket forum? :thumbsup:

In the Sydney Morning Herald

Tweet of the day

''MCG evictions have overtaken Michael Clarke, top scoring with 26. The drunk, unruly and even one in possession of drugs are out.'' Victoria Police

:smiliz64:

heartgarfunkel

In the Sydney Morning Herald

Tweet of the day

''MCG evictions have overtaken Michael Clarke, top scoring with 26. The drunk, unruly and even one in possession of drugs are out.'' Victoria Police

:smiliz64:

:santa1:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Day 2 coming up. Not there today - too rough! smiliz19.gif

There's been showers around again this morning but Strauss and Cook shouldn't be fazed by the conditions. The only bowler Australia had yesterday was Siddle. Johnson is chucking pies again!!

stirlingshirejambo

There's been showers around again this morning but Strauss and Cook shouldn't be fazed by the conditions. The only bowler Australia had yesterday was Siddle. Johnson is chucking pies again!!

Hopefully you'll feel better get youself along coul be another monumental day for England.

Mitchell Johnson seems to b a confidence player and he has ha his 15 minutes of fame in this series

Hope your recovery comes as good as England yesterdaysmiliz19.gif

stirlingshirejambo

Evening all

looking for England to bat the Aussies out this match and ashes will then be retained

just continue the positive batting going to make the Aussies suffer

Geoff Kilpatrick

Strauss gone as well - great bowling from Siddle. The locals will be saying that the New South Wales bias in the team is holding Oz back - Siddle is the only Victorian in the team.

Strauss gone as well - great bowling from Siddle. The locals will be saying that the New South Wales bias in the team is holding Oz back - Siddle is the only Victorian in the team.

Is it like a sort of Weggie baissmiliz23.gif

Geoff Kilpatrick

Is it like a sort of Weggie baissmiliz23.gif

Indeed.

Siddle having some day - 3 wickets and 2 super catches.

stirlingshirejambo

Indeed.

Siddle having some day - 3 wickets and 2 super catches.

don't think we will see Pointing in te next test

spitting the dummy out lke that is unaccepable

England have done everything required including riling the opposition captin

If anyone missed it listen to the Aggers/Boycott review of the day

Guess The Crowd

The pivotal moment of that day was not the Pietersen incident (where Ponting made a complete a*** of himself, but Prior's reprieve. Australia could have just about had a foothold back into the match at that point, but it's surely gone now. :thumbsup:

stirlingshirejambo

The pivotal moment of that day was not the Pietersen incident (where Ponting made a complete a*** of himself, but Prior's reprieve. Australia could have just about had a foothold back into the match at that point, but it's surely gone now. :thumbsup:

Your right if Prior had been dismissed that would have been 5,6 and 7 gone cheaply and australia's tails would have been up

I think the umpiring has been pretty poor all round ihis series and the referral aystem has actually stopped the aggravation of the teams getting at each other. The Ponting tirade was a one off I hope.

Your right if Prior had been dismissed that would have been 5,6 and 7 gone cheaply and australia's tails would have been up

I think the umpiring has been pretty poor all round ihis series and the referral aystem has actually stopped the aggravation of the teams getting at each other. The Ponting tirade was a one off I hope.

Hard to see what Ponting's point was? I'd be pretty sure KP would have been winding him up big style after being given not out though :smiliz64:

stirlingshirejambo

Hard to see what Ponting's point was? I'd be pretty sure KP would have been winding him up big style after being given not out though :smiliz64:

From what I could see there was a white hotspot at the bottom of the bat nowhere near were the ball had passed so possibly caused by bat hitting pad.

KP was actually really restrained and didn't react to Ponting's verbals

Even if umpire is wrong you don't keepabouring point and he was lucky to only be charged with a level one offence

Mind you nothing compared to Mike Gatting Shakoor Rana :santa4:

From what I could see there was a white hotspot at the bottom of the bat nowhere near were the ball had passed so possibly caused by bat hitting pad.

KP was actually really restrained and didn't react to Ponting's verbals

Even if umpire is wrong you don't keepabouring point and he was lucky to only be charged with a level one offence

Mind you nothing compared to Mike Gatting Shakoor Rana :santa4:

Peter Roebuck's take on Ponting:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/incident-suggests-a-proud-captain-has-reached-his-wits-end-20101227-198k7.html

I actually think he'll hit a big score in the Aussies 2nd knock as he knows the game is up. It won't be enough to save the test though.

Did any of the papers go with the headline "Ricky Pointing" :smiliz64:

stirlingshirejambo

Just sitting watching the highlights of the afternoon session

Ponting is a dick

Ponting interview coming up on TMS now

Did any of the papers go with the headline "Ricky Pointing" :smiliz64:

I know I shouldnt but I laughed!

The outburst yesterday was of a weary, beaten down captain who knows the game is pretty much up. Regardless of whether or not they survive and win the Test (or indeed regain the Ashes), Ponting himself knows the time has come. For all the great achievements he has had in his career, to lose more than once to the English in the Ashes (im sure they said he was the only Aussie Captain as well) will be with him (and undoubtedly certain sections of the Aussie press). That is a great shame for someone who is one of the finest batsman many of us will have ever seen.

stirlingshirejambo

Never once did he acknowledge the 3rd umpire was correct

Tosser

Trying to defend the indefensible. There is no doubt from what I have seen he correct decision ws made. Not sure what footage he claims to have seen that shows something different

Also talked about keping note of decisions throughout the series. Paranoia a la Celtic

Trying to defend the indefensible. There is no doubt from what I have seen he correct decision ws made. Not sure what footage he claims to have seen that shows something different

Also talked about keping note of decisions throughout the series. Paranoia a la Celtic

smiliz19.gif

Great batsman but cant hold a candle to the greatest of the Modern Era, The Little Master.

And ever since his star bowlers have been retiring his captaincy skills have been on the wane. Depending so much on the pressure brought on by being able to toss the ball to Warne at any time on any surface and say "get me a wicket" or chucking it to McGrath and saying "stem the flow of runs and chip a few out for me" his increasingly frequent outburst just make him look like a petulant child.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Pleased for Siddle in a way - he deserves his five for. At his home ground too.

Looking forward here to a 400 lead with 2.5 days at least to finish the job! :thumb:

Pleased for Siddle in a way - he deserves his five for. At his home ground too.

Looking forward here to a 400 lead with 2.5 days at least to finish the job! :thumb:

Siddle has been a stick out for the Aussies

Still showing there is still some life left in the pitch, which should be good for the English seamers

thehibsareintheirbeds

Unexepected way to get first wicket but good stuff none the less. Good to see swann in but agree with warne and holding- england should have been far more positive fieldwise- so many runs to play with.

Anyway, ponting in...

Geoff Kilpatrick

Amother day going to plan, pity Strauss is too defensive with his field placings.

It's called "prolonging the agony!" smiliz19.gif

stirlingshirejambo

Amother day going to plan, pity Strauss is too defensive with his field placings.

Great spell by Bresnan

Wonder why fielding was a littlr defensive

Great spell by Bresnan

Wonder why fielding was a littlr defensive

Cause Strauss is defensive in most aspects of his captaincy, field placings and declerations being 2 prime examples.

stirlingshirejambo

Cause Strauss is defensive in most aspects of his captaincy, field placings and declerations being 2 prime examples.

I think that declarations are done by committee now and that's why they seem less decisive.

Also as confidence rises in his team he will hopefully be able to be more aggressive

Geoff Kilpatrick

Great bowling by Swann to capture Clarke like that. He's had an awful series and there's no way he should follow Ponting in the captaincy.

Archived