The Ashes

Boris

thehibsareintheirbeds

You're right arnold, cooks up for a bit mcginlay, just likes staying for now. Interesting to see

how the spinner does- pietersen has to have a go

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Ponting would've been gone by now as well.... :ninja:

Who'll be next captain for OZ?

Looks like Clarke, but that will be disastrous IMO.

Looks like Clarke, but that will be disastrous IMO.

Is that 'Mr Cricket'?

Don't keep up with cricket too much but even I know OZ seem still to be struggling with the end of Warne/McGrath... where's Brett Lee these days?

Lunch time!

Is that 'Mr Cricket'?

Don't keep up with cricket too much but even I know OZ seem still to be struggling with the end of Warne/McGrath... where's Brett Lee these days?

Lunch time!

I think Brett decided there was too much money to be made in India. He does heaps of advertising and modelling there. Pretty sure he was in a bollywood film too.

YASSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Rat faced seth effrican GONE!

Geoff Kilpatrick

4 down and England have sold them all. I'd fancy myself for a 'five for' when you get out to stupid strokes.

Reading the Ben Dirs updates from BBC from my school in Bangkok..

For Scots supporting England.. When i first got into cricket i was working midnight til 8am shift in a sports bar in Sydney.. Unbelievably Aussies are more arrogant about their sports than the English so from then on I always wanted England to beat them.. Especially as they were generally the underdogs..

Having said that as far as test matches go i am only interested in the Ashes.. other than that they are a bit slow for me.. T20 is the business and i love the IPL although i dont get to see as many games from that out here..

Still come on England.. i am a fan of Ian Bell so hopefully him and Cook can score hundreds..

Geoff Kilpatrick

That hat trick was fantastic and might have won the Test on Day 1. Great bowling. It's his birthday as well!

Wish i was watching this instead of having to listen to it but can't get access at work so 5 live extra for me. Cannie wait to see that hat-trick. Keep it up!! Some firgues for Siddle

Geoff Kilpatrick

8 down and Ponting putting no pressure on Bell. Shocking captaincy! England to get to 275 which is something to defend, hopefully!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Disappointed in the Sherminator holing out like that but he batted well for his 76. If England bowl tonight, they need an early wicket.

EDIT: They are bowling. 'Mon Jimmy!

Lets see how Australlia do with the bat. Hopefully will get 8 overs in & loss a wicket. Will make a interesting 2nd day

The Mighty Thor

Pleasing day! I only caught an hour of it either side of tea and at the time cook and bell were playing beautifully. I'm on the way to the office to fire up sky player and watch the highlights!

Nelly Terraces

Aussies day without question, England suffering from the old collapsitis again ffs. It's still a long way to go though, but I'd be very worried about the ability to get into decent positions yet see it all go breests up with a collapse, the last 6 wickets for 60runs is brutal.

Top bowling from Siddle though, hats off to the geezer, on his birthday as well, what a story, the boy must be floating out the ground (to the bar :thumbsup: ).

So far, a stonking days cricket, even if it's not the way I wanted to see it going, just shows how good a game Test cricket is and the people who say it's boring know fk all about the game. Test cricket is the total nuts, ODI's are nothing in comparison, and as for 20/20, don't get me started, the 5-a-sides of cricket, gash.

Some good chat on here lads, good to see so many folk into the game, be good to keep it going the rest of the winter. Tell you one thig, how feckin good would it be to actually be over there? Would swap this freezing hell for a spot of Aussie sunshine and sitting with a few pints of amber froth watching the action! Where's me shorts'n'shades??

Cheers!!

I think England have been given a wee wake up call today. And that's not a bad thing.

Positives - Cook, Pieterson & Bell (told you!)

Negatives - lower middle order collapse, Strauss playing a daft shot three balls in, Collingwoods batting failure.

Now it's up to the bowlers. They need to restrict the Aussies to about 300 if they can and it'll be interesting to see if they can.

Siddles hat-trick was great - I suppose these things happen - but I don't think that this match is over just yet. England are pretty tight as a team so I think they can bounce back.

As Nelly says, this is how good Test cricket can be.

Roll on Day 2! :thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Aussies day without question, England suffering from the old collapsitis again ffs. It's still a long way to go though, but I'd be very worried about the ability to get into decent positions yet see it all go breests up with a collapse, the last 6 wickets for 60runs is brutal.

Top bowling from Siddle though, hats off to the geezer, on his birthday as well, what a story, the boy must be floating out the ground (to the bar :thumbsup: ).

So far, a stonking days cricket, even if it's not the way I wanted to see it going, just shows how good a game Test cricket is and the people who say it's boring know fk all about the game. Test cricket is the total nuts, ODI's are nothing in comparison, and as for 20/20, don't get me started, the 5-a-sides of cricket, gash.

Some good chat on here lads, good to see so many folk into the game, be good to keep it going the rest of the winter. Tell you one thig, how feckin good would it be to actually be over there? Would swap this freezing hell for a spot of Aussie sunshine and sitting with a few pints of amber froth watching the action! Where's me shorts'n'shades??

Cheers!!

Absolutely and as for the last paragraph! :whistling:cool.gif

Nelly Terraces

It's worrying that there wasn't a sniff of any swing for the England bowlers, that would be another concern for them as it looked pretty lively for the Aussies earlier. I can't wait for ay 2 though.

Can't wait for 4 years to hurry up as well, I've been saving my pennies for a while already for going out there (the 1 sporting thing I've always wanted to do is be at the MCG boiling alive with a coldie in my mitt on Boxing Day watching the 4th test).

All that today showed is that the 2 sides are much closer than was perhaps thought before play began. Looks like both sides have frailties and both have pluses. Today sets us up for a ripping series.

Some of you guys will be missing a lot of sleep over the next few weeks.

Nelly Terraces

All that today showed is that the 2 sides are much closer than was perhaps thought before play began. Looks like both sides have frailties and both have pluses. Today sets us up for a ripping series.

Haha, true mate, I crashed out about 2am then woke up about 5.30 to the sound of Siddle taking his hat-trick! Couldn't nod off again after that. Got to sod off to a meeting in deepest Lanarkshire now, but I'm like a zombie. :blink:

Catch you all later tonight lads!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Which is fair enough when the JT's kick off at 2am! :)

Very large pot of of coffee brewed up about this time last night managed to see me through till just after 1.00 last night. Got out of bed at 6.15 and caught last 2 wickets falling. Just about to start on the coffee again even at the risk of being hyper over-caffeineated (SP?) again when I should be peacefully snoozing in the land of nod. Will be interesting to see whether England'd bowling can wreak a bit of chaos.

scott herbertson

Looking forward to the start and end of today's play again (can't stay up because of horrible workloads tomorrow)

C'mon the Aussies

Be interesting to see how their batting holds up esp the middle order

Nelly Terraces

I thought theer'd be no chance of me being able to stay up for any of it tonight, but I'm hyper with anticipation. :teehee:

England need wickets pretty quickly, they're under pressure. C'mon the Burnley Express, Broady, and Unruly Swann - Do the business lads!

I'll catch the first hour and see how the games going. If wickets are tumbling Itll be hard leave it. I watched on my iPhone last night and woke up to a totally dead phone! Could be an interesting morning if Anderson gets it right especially with a bit of moisture around..

Nelly Terraces

I'll catch the first hour and see how the games going. If wickets are tumbling Itll be hard leave it. I watched on my iPhone last night and woke up to a totally dead phone! Could be an interesting morning if Anderson gets it right especially with a bit of moisture around..

Haha, dont think you'll be the only one with that problem mate! My other half was whinging she woke up to the dulcet tones of Sir Geoffrey Boycs this morning - told her I'd set him as my new alarm heh heh!

I want to see more swinging than a suburban dinner party tonight!

Today is more exciting than yesterday.

We know that GAME IS ON now. A good start for Australia was the best thing for the excitement factor. England now face a challenge. Can they rise to it?

It's a funny scenario for me - and very unlike the football where rampant hatred usually shapes my allegiances.

In the cricket I side with Australia, but I genuinely really just want to see a nail-biter every time. This game could turn into a real ripper.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hate shouldn't really exist in cricket. Sure, I want England to win but I love watching great cricket and was delighted for Siddle yesterday. Moments like that make the game special. I leave tribal hatred for football and the England rugby team!

Nelly Terraces

Anyone know why I can never get access to Shoutbox? Keeps coming up with an error message. Do you need to subscribe to get access, thought Id paid my dues on here but may be wrong :unsure:

First hour tonight for me, the game should really kick in tomorrow night in the second innings, will be staying up a lot longer for that.

Commander Harris

Anyone know why I can never get access to Shoutbox? Keeps coming up with an error message. Do you need to subscribe to get access, thought Id paid my dues on here but may be wrong :unsure:

don't think it's on at the moment.

Nelly Terraces

don't think it's on at the moment

It wasnt working for me the last time it was open mate, but there'd been a problem with it, should maybe have tried logging out and back again.

Good bowling by Broady here, but no wickets for England yet. Worrying.

Geoff Kilpatrick

All set up for a great Day 3 tomorrow. New ball in hand, England need to break this partnership. Bat through it and Australia can put England under severe pressure.

Nelly Terraces

Swanny's having an absolute nightmare. Heard The Vaughan say that when he bowls over here and it lands short it sort of skids through but over there it's just sitting up waiting to get clobbered. If he doesn't get it sorted then England are totally forked as he is vitally important and a lot of hope's been pinned on him to do the bizz. So much for ideal prep by England, they shoulda had this sorted a long time back.

Day starts earlier tomorrow, so the atmospheric conditions may be more favorable to swing. Regardless, Swann needs to throw it up more or he's going to take some stick.

Nelly Terraces

Day starts earlier tomorrow, so the atmospheric conditions may be more favorable to swing. Regardless, Swann needs to throw it up more or he's going to take some stick.

Yep, Jimmy and Finny both did a great job today, but were still a sit short too many times, and agree totally about Swann mate, he needs to sort the length out or he's gonna get a total hammering. England have let Hussey away with murder, the amount of short stuff this blokes been gifted is a total joke, how they never got that sorted later in the day is beyond me. The next session will probably decide the way the games gonna go, if England get wickets then they're back in with a shout, if the 2 H's see off the new ball and get set the it'll only be the Aussies game to lose.

Can't wait.

It's quite nicely poised at the moment. England must make the breakthrough early today and contain any Australian lead to a manageble level.

Not sure what the weather is to be like for the rest of the match, but it may play into Englands favour with regards not losing the game.

Have to say I've not seen much more than the first hour of each days play so far. The highlights are good but you don't get the same sense of what's happening (happened), if you see what I mean.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Massive session coming up for England, need to get Hussey out pronto! Recon he will be the danger man throughout the series.

That's the key. 400 would be a great total of the Aussies now. Anything around 300-350 means England are right in the game.

The Mighty Thor

Really looking forward to this tonight. Massive first hour for England tonight, if they don't breakthrough early then i reckon they'll struggle.

Well folks, DAY 3.

TMS is on, I'll hunt for a stream. Missed Day 2 due to unforseen circumstances but I'll be here for this...hope the weather doesn't interfere.

Interesting day ahead I think.

Archived