Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

That would be Braw mate cheers.

Was awaiting how many days a week you train but here is a wee routine you can do.

If you doing 3 days a week you would start upper 1, lower 2, upper 2. Week 2 would go lower 2, upper 1, lower1 etc

For 4 days it would be upper 1, lower 1, upper 2, lower 2

So just alternate each workout.

Upper 1:

Dumbell chest press

3 sets of 10

Dumbell side raises

3 sets of 12

Single arm bent rows:

Kneel on bench. 3 sets 10 either side

Alternating bicep curls

3 sets of 10.

Lower 1:

Bulgarian split squats

3 sets of 10

Kettle bell swings

3 sets of 12

Calf raises (while holding dumbells just tip toe pause and down)

3 sets of 20

Upper 2:

Dumbell shoulder press

3 sets of 10

Dumbell chest flyes

3 sets of 10

Single arm bent over rows

3 sets of 10

Dumbell overhead tricep extension

3 sets of 12

Lower 2:

Goblet squat/dumbell squat (whichever you prefer)

3 sets of 10

Dumbell stiff legged deadlift

3 sets of 10

Kettle bell swings

4 sets of 10

Any exercises your not sure of just let me know I'll try explain.

Not too much leg work to allow you to keep up with the running too. Ideally you'd do this 4 days. That should get you started out :)

Edited by RS86

Was awaiting how many days a week you train but here is a wee routine you can do.

If you doing 3 days a week you would start upper 1, lower 2, upper 2. Week 2 would go lower 2, upper 1, lower1 etc

For 4 days it would be upper 1, lower 1, upper 2, lower 2

So just alternate each workout.

Upper 1:

Dumbell chest press

3 sets of 10

Dumbell side raises

3 sets of 12

Single arm bent rows:

Kneel on bench. 3 sets 10 either side

Alternating bicep curls

3 sets of 10.

Lower 1:

Bulgarian split squats

3 sets of 10

Kettle bell swings

3 sets of 12

Calf raises (while holding dumbells just tip toe pause and down)

3 sets of 20

Upper 2:

Dumbell shoulder press

3 sets of 10

Dumbell chest flyes

3 sets of 10

Single arm bent over rows

3 sets of 10

Dumbell overhead tricep extension

3 sets of 12

Lower 2:

Goblet squat/dumbell squat (whichever you prefer)

3 sets of 10

Dumbell stiff legged deadlift

3 sets of 10

Kettle bell swings

4 sets of 10

Any exercises your not sure of just let me know I'll try explain.

Not too much leg work to allow you to keep up with the running too. Ideally you'd do this 4 days. That should get you started out :)

Thanks very much mate. Will probably do this 4 days like you recommend.

Take it if I youtube the exercise it will show me It.

Edit it does cheers.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Thanks very much mate. Will probably do this 4 days like you recommend.

Take it if I youtube the exercise it will show me It.

Edit it does cheers.

Just use it as a guide though tbh, you might find other exercises that work better for you or that you prefer. Should keep you going for a bit at least :).

There isn't a lot for arms so you could even chuck more in for biceps and triceps.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers and Happy New Year, guys.

The year started with good running and 2h step exersises (this is my favorite and most useful to qick weight loss although many would say it's out of date). I also agree with some of the community members that food habits are essential. I meean no fastfood and highfat/carbs stuff at least in the afternoon. And keeping the schedule.

Jesus. Those Bulgarian squats :muggy:

Nae running the morn.

And the wife wants sex the night she will have perform her own unique Bulgarian squats. :laugh:

Edited by AlimOzturk

Cheers and Happy New Year, guys.

The year started with good running and 2h step exersises (this is my favorite and most useful to qick weight loss although many would say it's out of date). I also agree with some of the community members that food habits are essential. I meean no fastfood and highfat/carbs stuff at least in the afternoon. And keeping the schedule.

Difficult getting back into the swing of eating well after the festive period though eh :)

Jesus. Those Bulgarian squats :muggy:

Nae running the morn.

And the wife wants sex the night she will have perform her own unique Bulgarian squats. :laugh:

Haha yeah they are an effective exercise. I tend to avoid them tbh as they leave my legs in bits lol

Stuart McNeill

It's the deadlifts for me. Absolutely burst.

Decided to go from a full body workout over to a upper and lower program.

Definitely feeling it better over the last few weeks, I actually feel I'm working the muscle more over the whole week.

Turned out I couldn't run for 2 days after those Bulgarian squats. Even then I am still slightly tender. Hopefully once my body gets used to it

Edited by AlimOzturk

Yeah you will def adjust but it's totally new to your body so it will be tough initially.

I squatted and did some clean and press today and it's fair to say I am totally buckled now.

I've entered the Scotland's Strongest man u90s this year and it's 6 days after I do the GPC powerlifting open so I need to get the finger out and start pushing myself again

Yeah you will def adjust but it's totally new to your body so it will be tough initially.

I squatted and did some clean and press today and it's fair to say I am totally buckled now.

I've entered the Scotland's Strongest man u90s this year and it's 6 days after I do the GPC powerlifting open so I need to get the finger out and start pushing myself again

Surely they could bring the age limit down a touch. 90's pushing it a bit.ffs Edited by aussieh

Bought myself my first Road bike yesterday. Ran marathons and various tough mudder type events but I'm changing tack this year. Ive already done the Edinburgh New Year triathlon and so far in my schedule I have 1 big bike race booked in May, a couple of Triathlons during the coming months and an Ironman in September. If I don't end up the fittest I've ever been this year I'm binning it all and getting fat!

Took the plunge and joined a gym at holyrood Park hotel.

Cracking deal I haggled. 6 month contract, no joining fee, first two months free then 38 pound a month there after. Then rolling contract to there after of 35 pound a Month.

Decent gym, sauna and swimming pool. Free intro which tracks overall progress such as weight, body fat percentage and things. Also get 5 free passes a month and 150 pounds to spend in the hotel as I like. Such as a meal, or beauty treatments for the wife.

Took the plunge and joined a gym at holyrood Park hotel.

Cracking deal I haggled. 6 month contract, no joining fee, first two months free then 38 pound a month there after. Then rolling contract to there after of 35 pound a Month.

Decent gym, sauna and swimming pool. Free intro which tracks overall progress such as weight, body fat percentage and things. Also get 5 free passes a month and 150 pounds to spend in the hotel as I like. Such as a meal, or beauty treatments for the wife.

Sounds a decent package for the money, some hotels have good facilities

Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for PT's in or around Edinburgh? I need a new gym and also looking for a decent PT that isn't going to cost me the earth. I live in North Edin, anybody got recommendations?

Is Stronglifts 5x5 best for arm mass as well? I've been trying it for months (eating has been fine) and they could still fit through the eye of a needle.

Am I doing it wrong or is there a better routine? Arm mass right now is honestly all I care about. I ******* hate them.

Is Stronglifts 5x5 best for arm mass as well? I've been trying it for months (eating has been fine) and they could still fit through the eye of a needle.

Am I doing it wrong or is there a better routine? Arm mass right now is honestly all I care about. I ******* hate them.

Everyone is different of course but I find high rep isolation combined with low rep heavy lifting works best for arms. Worry more about building your triceps though as they are a larger muscle than bicep and it gives the appearance of bigger arms.

The 5x5 on bench press will help but add in some tricep extension movements, dips etc. Heavy back training (deadlifts, rows, pullups) seems to help my biceps grow too.

Hey guys, I am a complete beginner at this. I'm not totally out of shape but I'm looking to tone up and lose belly fat while also gaining some arm muscle (I'm 5"10 and 11st so as I say not overweight, just no definition I guess. Too much gut).

Anyway I've started going to the gym twice a week and exercising in the flat and I have a couple of questions,

I find at the gym I can run for 15 minutes non stop on about 9.5 speed and I was wondering if I should increase the speed and try and keep the same time, or run for longer at the same speed?

Also, how is it I can do the above but one minute of jumping squats kills my legs!! That was a surprise. I did the above on Tuesday and Wednesday then could barely complete the first minte of a cardio routine involving jumping squats? I realise it's different muscles but that's some discrepancy no?

One last question: When doing ab excercises such as single leg drops etc, or trying to keep my legs in the air while using my ab muscles, my legs become agony but I don't feel it much on my abs. Am I doing these right and if not, what do you think I'm doing wrong?

Cheers for any answers

Everyone is different of course but I find high rep isolation combined with low rep heavy lifting works best for arms. Worry more about building your triceps though as they are a larger muscle than bicep and it gives the appearance of bigger arms.

The 5x5 on bench press will help but add in some tricep extension movements, dips etc. Heavy back training (deadlifts, rows, pullups) seems to help my biceps grow too.

Thanks! Are there any workout routines that are specifically for upper body mass (preferentially arms)?

I've been struggling with this as well so decided to try a few new things over the past month. One that I definitely felt the benefit of was Incline Curls. Set a bench to a slight Incline of around 30 degrees, and sit yourself down on it. Take the weights you usually do curls with, and let your arms hang down your sides. Now just do curls as standard, controlling the downwards part until your arms are back down pointing towards the ground.

You'll feel it particularly in the lower part of your bicep, and it burst me for a good 2 days afterwards :lol:

Seeing a difference already just with adding a few different things :thumbsup:

Carbohydrate 45%

Protein 35%

Fat 20%

My targets for daily intake for weight loss and muscle gain.

Anyone with a similar ratio?

I'm 17.7stone 27% body fat.

I worked out that I should be consuming 226g of protein daily for muscle build.

Does this seem excessive?

Thanks! Are there any workout routines that are specifically for upper body mass (preferentially arms)?

Most routines are a guide tbh, not really a one size fits all. I'd recommend doing some heavy work on Bench, OHP, close grip bench and Dips and supplementing that with some high rep work (10-12 reps) on this like tricep pushdowns/rope extensions, skull crushers and bicep curls.

For weight loss but muscle gain. What shake would be recommended after a work out?

Thanks

Tbh it's one or the other, either aim for a calorie deficit to drop fat or aim to bulk and gain weight. The shake you use after your workout will have little bearing on either as it's what you do as a whole on the day. I'd look into a recovery shake like CNP Pro recover (or Bodybuilding Warehouse do a cheaper version) just to help hit your protein target for the day.

Carbohydrate 45%

Protein 35%

Fat 20%

My targets for daily intake for weight loss and muscle gain.

Anyone with a similar ratio?

Again depends on calories in vs out. There's not an ideal macro ratio IMO, some people diet to contest condition on trace amounts of carbs and high fats, others do the complete opposite.

I'm 17.7stone 27% body fat.

I worked out that I should be consuming 226g of protein daily for muscle build.

Does this seem excessive?

17.7 is roughly 111kg. If you are approx 27% body fat then your fat free mass is 81.03kg. IMO 226g is too much to maintain that, but that's not necessarily a problem if the extra protein is in place of carbs or fat instead and you are still creating a deficit to drop body fat levels down.

Been adding some paused squats to my routine and every rep I do now on bench is paused, def helping with my progress. Also adding in some deficit deadlifts tomorrow.

Been going well. Upping the weight gradually every week.

Added an extra day for biceps and triceps. Cut the running right down as I was exhausting myself trying to keep that up to the same Level.

Ab workout today along with chest and triceps. Half an hour on the running machine afterwards.

Leg day tomorrow. :muggy:

Been going well. Upping the weight gradually every week.

Added an extra day for biceps and triceps. Cut the running right down as I was exhausting myself trying to keep that up to the same Level.

Ab workout today along with chest and triceps. Half an hour on the running machine afterwards.

Leg day tomorrow. :muggy:

Enjoy :lol:

The mrs has taken ill so I postponed my deadlifts til tomorrow

See when I hear 'gains'

Does this mean that you have either got stronger or your noticing the results?

For example yesteday I was able to do 3 sets of 10 bench press with 12kg dumbells rather than the 10kg I was at the start of January. Does this mean I have gains?

See when I hear 'gains'

For example yesteday I was able to do 3 sets of 10 bench press with 12kg dumbells rather than the 10kg I was at the start of January. Does this mean I have gains?

Dunno. I always hear the word 'Gainz' getting banded about these days haha. Any progress is progress though lol

See when I hear 'gains'

That's good progress to be fair! 2kg extra on each side in the space of a few weeks.

Keep at it! When I first started, I struggled with the 6kg dumbbells, and last week managed to get 3 sets of 10 with the 26kgs :thumbsup:

That's good progress to be fair! 2kg extra on each side in the space of a few weeks.

Keep at it! When I first started, I struggled with the 6kg dumbbells, and last week managed to get 3 sets of 10 with the 26kgs :thumbsup:

That's good going :). I quite like using dumbells for variety and it def helps develop all the smaller stabiliser muscles

Im doing 300 kettlebell swings a day with a 24kg bell.On my 3 days off work i am adding in dumbell press and curls(4 sets of 12 with both) and then going for a 7 mile hike.Keeping myself active instead of slumping on the couch with the PS4 on my days off.

Im doing 300 kettlebell swings a day with a 24kg bell.On my 3 days off work i am adding in dumbell press and curls(4 sets of 12 with both) and then going for a 7 mile hike.Keeping myself active instead of slumping on the couch with the PS4 on my days off.

Genuine question - is there any benefit to doing 300 in a single day, or would you be better off doing less of it? Whenever I do those, I usually do 3 or 4 sets of 12.

Would doing a massively higher number give more of an overall gain?

Genuine question - is there any benefit to doing 300 in a single day, or would you be better off doing less of it? Whenever I do those, I usually do 3 or 4 sets of 12.

Would doing a massively higher number give more of an overall gain?

I do 30 a time throughout the day ten times.Its for power and strength and burns a ton of calories as its full body movement.

I do 30 a time throughout the day ten times.Its for power and strength and burns a ton of calories as its full body movement.

Makes sense, sounds good!

I just done a 4 sets of 15 using a 16kg kettlebell and I'm ruined :lol:

Makes sense, sounds good!

I just done a 4 sets of 15 using a 16kg kettlebell and I'm ruined [emoji38]

Yeah i get to about 24 with the 24kg and i am really feeling it and when i reach the 30 i am panting like **** for about 5mins.Thats why i do it in chunks which is what the program says to do.I usually do 7 sets with 7 mins in between each set then i will do a couple more sets later in the day and then one before bed.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I use dumbells on each arm rather than kettlebells. Is it better to use kettlebells then?

For bench presses?

Stick to dumbbells, or the barbell!

For bench presses?

Stick to dumbbells, or the barbell!

Nah mate. :laugh:

I do a single arm Dumbell swing rather than kettlebell swing. Started it in the house when I never had access to kettlebells.

Is it any different?

I did wonder what you were on about :lol:

I think someone more qualified than me should answer, but I've always found the kettlebell makes it easier to keep your balance and have the correct stance.

I feel it more on my legs as well!

Dumbells are totally fine for swings! Swings are all about the hip hinge so as long as your technique is good you'll get the same benefits!!

Think I'll jump on the Kickback kettlbell swing challenge!!

Bench pressing 10kg dumbells?

This is going to come across as rude and I really don't mean it to be, but is there a reason why its so light? Age or previous injury etc?

Bench pressing 10kg dumbells?

This is going to come across as rude and I really don't mean it to be, but is there a reason why its so light? Age or previous injury etc?

Because I haven't ever weight trained before. Fwiw I up to 12kg dumbells.