RIP wee Sinky

speedbump

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad news - never met or knew him but this thread illustrated how well regarded he was in the Hearts community.

RIP.

Cannot speak highly enough of Calum and Ian (and others) who helped make Sinkys last couple of months as special as was possible,they stayed with the wee man right to the end,take a bow guys.RIP Sinky.

big c

that message just tipped me over the edge and made me cry! but i laughed hard when you mentioned the biscuits. sums him up i reckon

Sad sad news :(

My thoughts are with Sinky's family and friends, especially the ones who were with him right to the end and made his last months special.. You guys done Sinky proud.

I never personally knew him, but got a feeling I knew him a bit with all the great stuff posted about him on KB, a die hard Jambo till the end!!!

R.I.P

Sinky

While the ending was inevitable, I'm still gutted to hear the news as I got up this morning.

The people who helped to make his final weeks as comfortable and enjoyable as possible need to be applauded.

Remember sharing many a bus to away games with him in the '90s, and he would always brighten up the atmosphere - and we were often that bad that we needed it!

Also have memories of him at a concert with Alice Cooper at the Playhouse, with Dio supporting. Half the crowd were sat down for Dio - not Sinky and his mates - who were a few rows in front of me at row B. Dio noticed them and touched hand as he was jumping around.

Hearts games won't be the same without you, wee man. RIP. :(

Guest jambomickey

just came back in to see this devastating news, i'm gutted! r.i.p wee man.

special mention at this time go to calum and the rest of the guys who were up at the hospice on a regular basis! you guys kept his spirits up to fight this horrible disease with the bravery the wee man did.

god bless you sinky.

always a jambo

RIP Sinky.

Ill never forget being on the club supporters bus a few seasons ago. We'd just been hammered 5 nil by Celtic. We were all pretty hacked off but Sinky kept us all laughing.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just got off the phone to Callum (Meadows) and he asked me to post a few bits and pieces. He's read some of the messages but was getting quite emotional reading all your kind words so asked me to put all this down for him....

Firstly here is his message for those not pals with him on facebook:

Callum tells me that Jim Jefferies, Billy Brown, Lockie, Rudi, Darren Murray and others have all been in touch already to pass on their condolences and to find out when the funeral is. (No details yet but there will be no black, it will be a maroon themed funeral).

He wanted me to pass on how thankful he was and more importantly how thankful Sinky was, to everyone who made his last few days weeks and months special, including but not limited to all the staff and ex-players at HMFC who came to visit and left signed strips and other gifts, those who knew him from the supporters buses/pubs who came to visit, random fans who never knew him personally who sent him cards sweets, magazies etc and not forgetting the staff at the Western General and latterly the hospice.

There will be a memorial evening for Sinky in a year's time. All the memorabelia he collected when players came to visit will be auctioned off with the money being raised going to Marie Curie. (I get the impression this will be a real celebration of his life and a cracking evening will be in store)!

On behalf of all Hearts fans, I managed again to express to him how proud all Hearts fans are of him and Ian and what they did for Sinky.

One final story that sums everything up nicely. His last moments...

Sinky woke up at around midnight last night and asked for a drink and a biscuit before going back to sleep. What kind of biscuits were in his drawer (no doubt brought in by a friend) that ended up being the last thing he ever ate?

A packet of Jam Tarts.

What a legend!

Fantastic stuff. Even though it is tragic, that story has brought a smile to the face. :)

Terrible news but he's certainly a man who's made his mark on the Heart of Midlothian community. Will always have a smile when I think of Sinky.

Well done to everyone in the Hearts community who worked to make Sinky's last few weeks as memorable and enjoyable as possible, and fair play to the man himself for facing his illness with courage and good humour.

May he rest in peace.

R.I.P Sinky.

Just a small add on to say respect to the guys who looked after him so well. You did Sinky and yourselves proud.

Guest C00l K1d

Awk that's so sad. The first time I've heard of sinky was through this thread and just from the pictures of him you can tell he really is a true jambo. It's really weird because i've never been this upset about someone passing that i haven't actually met. Wherever he is now, i'm sure he's doing fine. RIP sinky

Very sad to hear the news.

He is definitely someone who will be missed greatly.

I remember having a few conversations and debates with Sinky in "the Mill" on slateford road after the matches and he always brought a smile to me and my dads face.

Very much a Hearts Legend in his own right.

RIP "wee man"

Absolutely gutting. He was a great character for Hearts and I think they have tried their best to repay his loyality in the last few months. He certainly went out on a Hearts high.

RIP Sinky.

ArthurAxident

Sad news indeed

As well as knowing him through following Hearts he was one of the crew who used to hang about my mates and his stair on Whitson Rd when we were teenagers

RIP SINKY P

Sadly I only really knew him through this thread and while it is a sad thread, with a not unexpected but nevertheless extremely sad ending, it is also a very heart warming thread when you see the amount of time and effort people put into making his last few weeks as special as possible. It restores your faith in humankind.

RIP Sinky, one of life's characters and a true Jambo.

Very touching post LJ, and sums up my thoughts this sad morning.

Sleep well the wee Jambo postie.

RIP Sinky

As with many on here I didnt know him personally but he was certainly an unmistakable character wherever abouts in the country the Hearts were playing...

R.I.P very sad but Im sure with all the effort Callum and others plus the entire Hearts squad he would have went off with a smile and amazing thoughts.

Radioactive Mince

Rest in peace, Sinky.

Your rendition of "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" was perhaps my abiding memory of you. Supporting Hearts just got that wee bit duller.

Jim

RIP Sinky, really sad news.

That said, everyone who helped make his last time more comfortable and memorable for him deserves massive respect. Whether it be Meadows etc who knew and loved the guy, the club, or the strangers who just decided to chip in and help out, you're a credit to yourselves and Sinky. True friends.

we knew it was coming but it's still a shock to the system to hear the sad news. rest in peace wee man, i'm sure heaven is a better place for it's new arrival.

i wasn't a close mate of sinky's but i knew him, and liked him a lot, for quite a number of years. i have no end of admiration for calum, ian, fergie and the other guys who took the time to regularly visit sinky. i only got up there the once and i was hugely impressed at how bright and happy the wee man was after battling for that length of time. as fergie said that night, it's a massive credit to wee sinky that he handled this like a true man and never complained about anything, not once.

huge credit to rudi and all the other hearts guys, including the ex-players like gary and robbo, for making sinky's last days far more enjoyable than they perhaps could have been. i have no doubt that the fantastic generosity shown by all these people helped to keep him going.

i am proud to have known you sinky. the hearts family is poorer for your passing.

Archived