RIP wee Sinky

speedbump

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr Pentland's ashes will be scattered at Tynecastle.

Another tear in my e'e.

Thank you EEN (never thought I'd ever say that)

I might be one of the few people who can say that Sinky was on their honeymoon ... along with thousands of other Jambos as it was when we played Mallorca (deliberately so).

I think seeing him swinging from a lamp post outside Mano's bar (?) in Magaluf with his dungarees at his ankles was my first awareness of him, but since then have seen him at most home games as I also sit in section D, in the Mill after games and always see or heard him at Easter Road.

Very, very sad news indeed, but I hope that all involved in making his last months so happy are rightfully proud of themselves. It really is humbling in this day and age to see that type of humanity shine through.

RIP Sinky

I never actually met sinky but have been following this thread for a while, but i haven't been on kickback for a while and just seen this news. The amount of posts on this thread clearly shows what a great man he must have been and by the sounds of it was Hearts through and through. Terrible news but i think all of sinkys friends on here derserve some credit you have been fantastic, true friends! Well done to all of you, R.I.P Sinky a true hearts legend who im sure will never be forgotton

I might be one of the few people who can say that Sinky was on their honeymoon ... along with thousands of other Jambos as it was when we played Mallorca (deliberately so).

I think seeing him swinging from a lamp post outside Mano's bar (?) in Magaluf with his dungarees at his ankles was my first awareness of him, but since then have seen him at most home games as I also sit in section D, in the Mill after games and always see or heard him at Easter Road.

Very, very sad news indeed, but I hope that all involved in making his last months so happy are rightfully proud of themselves. It really is humbling in this day and age to see that type of humanity shine through.

RIP Sinky

:santa1: :santa1:

Nucky Thompson

:santa1: :santa1:

I wonder if that was after his rendezvous with the black lady of the night :D

I wonder if that was after his rendezvous with the black lady of the night :D

Before.

Sweet dreams pal....I hope your heaven is a re-run of 98....

Doesn't seem that long ago that we were outside the mill having a ciggie and reminiscing about Bor- dex (as you liked to call it) and trying to convince me to get a pair of shiny blue DMs like you.

God bless

gg xx

My self and my boys will make Morntonhall, But not the Gorgie Suite.

Anyone like to Raise a glass for Sinkny in the Balm Well after the service would be good..

I would love to Raise a glass for Sinky.

We are the Hearts

FTH.

Had a tear in my eye reading the piece in the news today...

Me too. Lump in the throat time. Although I never actually met Sinky, I 'knew'of him. He was/is one of us. We're a family, and we care about our own. This wee man is going to be missed...sooooooooooo much...

Lynn

Charlie-Brown

Had a tear in my eye reading the piece in the news today...

Hopefully somebody on JKB or other Hearts fans can help here - Iam 95% certain that there is a match programme from 1976-77 season with a photo and paragraph about the matchday mascot - a young Sinclair Pentland ..... it's definitely from either the first or second season of the Premier League or First Division and it has a maroon cover which probably rules out 1975-76 season as i think they had white covers if memory is correct so it must be between 1976 & 1978. It would be good if anybody could find that and post it? :)

RIP Sinky.

I would like Hearts to have sinky on the cover of the matchday programme as a tribute to him,maybe even a few stories about his adventures by the people who knew him the most.

Does anyone else think its a good idea? :santa4:

Just to let everyone know that plans for his funeral are completed.Whilst i dont know if he will fill the room at mortonhall,i think it will be close. yet again hearts are going to do him proud,needless to say there are a few Sinky twists to this one :whistling:

A million Thanks to everyone for their support.

Kenny Taylor has kindly agreed to be convenor on the courtesy bus leaving McLeod St at 2.30.If anyone would like to utilise this it would be helpful if you could let us know.this will give us an idea on numbers.

Thanks....

Hopefully somebody on JKB or other Hearts fans can help here - Iam 95% certain that there is a match programme from 1976-77 season with a photo and paragraph about the matchday mascot - a young Sinclair Pentland ..... it's definitely from either the first or second season of the Premier League or First Division and it has a maroon cover which probably rules out 1975-76 season as i think they had white covers if memory is correct so it must be between 1976 & 1978. It would be good if anybody could find that and post it? :)

RIP Sinky.

Is it not already on this thread. I have seen it somewhere..

loveofthegame

Haven't taken the opportunity to post on this thread since my earlier comment before Sinky passed away as I haven't really had the words. Always difficult to find words to justify how you feel about someone who in all reality and honesty, you really hardly knew.

But at the same time I'm left gutted that I'll never get to see or more like hear wee Sinky again. Its amazing how little you appreciate someone and how many laughs they bring into your life and then 'boof' suddenly they are gone and all you can do is reflect. His banter and showmanship on my time on the Dickens bus where i first met him, with West End Hearts and with Robbo's will live with me forever! You meet all sorts of characters following our great club and as long as I go on following HMFC for the rest of my days I doubt I'll come across many more in the Sinky mould. His made up songs on the bus always had half the bus in stitches "I've got bevvy, I've got bevvy, you've noo, you've no!" (whilst pushing a can that he'd stumbled off to get at some point in the 2nd half into your face just to highlight his point!). And you always knew Sinky had entered the pub long before you saw him.

Now i would never profess to be a mate of Sinky's, and would never claim to be. I'm half his age and doubt he even remembered my name! But he added a great deal to my time following his/my beloved JT's and has provided so many memories of the happiest times in my short life- supporting Hearts at Tynie, throughout Scotland and abroad.

The final sentence of the EEN's story brought a tear to my eye. As we sang on the bus so often:

"And when my life is over, and death has left its mark, you can scatter all my ashes, on the slopes of Tynecastle Park- **** THE HIBS"

RIP Sinky.

heres a picture of his boots farin lol ignore my red ones

x3cpjd.jpg

how is the bus running? is it turn up and first come first on?

Thats them !! LOL.. Ta. gave me a wee smile seeing them again..

As most people know the royal mail is very busy this time of year & the early snow have'nt helped us, but there will be a strong turnout of sinky's workmates to see him off on Monday.. I've a feeling there won't be many dry eyes in the place either, both with laughter at the stories being told & of the sadness of a true legend passing from our midst..

R.I.P. Sinky.. Gone But Never Forgotten...

told 1 of your "hibee" co-workers about the maroon theme.... he is wearing maroon for the wee man xx

More or less...it is a 70 seater so plenty of room , but if people can give an idea of numbers it would help :thumbsup:

I already have about 20 names from people who have contacted me directly,will phone you later to see what your numbers are like Meadows

Kenny T

Got made redundant yesterday, good thing I can now get along to see Sinky off.

Take hankies for laughing and crying... One in a million...

Everytime I have a look at this thread I have a few tears...

Valentine Jambo

Anyone know what state the roads are in at mortonhall for driving/parking tomorrow??...

thanks..

The main roads are fine but the pavements are bad. The snow ploughs have pushed the snow to the kerbside obviously making it really difficult to park. The road up to the crematorium might be better though.

Valentine Jambo

cheers pal,:thumbsup:

I'll have a shovel with me, as long as i can park anyway close to it.. Sadly I & a few others won't make tyne after as the R. Mail are letting us away during our work & we have to get back to the mail centtre in sighthill after to finish our shifts.. Some might be able to make tyne though ;) as the snow might hold us up from getting back to work to quickly.:D.. the wee man would know what i mean...

R.I.P. Sinky the wee postie man....

Lol. I used to work in the APC myself. I'm sure the bosses will be expecting a willful delay in staff after the wee mans service.

Valentine Jambo

:D aye,

heard j. jack & charlie ewan will be there with maybe 1 or 2 other managers as he did die "in service" ;).. did you move to a D.O or get out all together ??..

Charlie Ewen lol. I was a driver in the mail centre for about 7 years, done overtime on the packet stamping, etc. I jumped onto a nightshift duty at Brunswick Rd (big mistake that was). Ended up leaving after a year in there. That was around 9 years ago, moved on now lol.

Won't be able to make the wee mans funeral today through work but will be thinking of him.

Rip Sinky.

For all concerned about Sinky's funeral today,obviously the weather is a pest.however,everything will go ahead as planned.The bus will leave at 2.30 (sharp) in the event of needing to delay we are covered forr that as the crematorium was booked for 2 hours to cover any problems.

sinky wanted a maroon & white funeral.....he got the white part right !!

For all concerned about Sinky's funeral today,obviously the weather is a pest.however,everything will go ahead as planned.The bus will leave at 2.30 (sharp) in the event of needing to delay we are covered forr that as the crematorium was booked for 2 hours to cover any problems.

sinky wanted a maroon & white funeral.....he got the white part right !!

2 Hours, shows how popular the wee man was.. Going to try and get away shortly..

If you were going tor the No 7 bus like I was

Service 7 - Newhaven to Royal Infirmary - Not serving Liberton Brae, Captain?s Road or Ferniehill

If you were going tor the No 7 bus like I was

Service 7 - Newhaven to Royal Infirmary - Not serving Liberton Brae, Captain?s Road or Ferniehill

Cheers Auds. That was my planed method of transport, think it's going to be a long walk up the hill but not missing it for anything!

Cheers Auds. That was my planed method of transport, think it's going to be a long walk up the hill but not missing it for anything!

All services being withdrawn at present due to the current weather condition..

Nothing now Stevie..

Took the car and made it from Leith in 40 mins. Roads / pavements within crematorium are excellent, well gritted and they have motors going up and down.

In the pub over the road from the crematorium. They've got the digger out and are clearing parking. The east side of town isn't as bad as the west side. Avoid queensferry rd if you can. I think there is still space on the bus leaving from the Tynie arms.

Had to walk from corstorphine up to clerrie but no chance of getting to his funeral,very disappointed but im sure that everything will go the way he planned it. RIP SINKY xx

Creepy Lurker

Had to miss this in the end. Came over from Stirling to Edinburgh last night and waited for over an hour for a taxi at the Wester Hailes Centre to get into Gorgie for the bus, but nothing doing. All buses cancelled. Gutted to miss it, not like I was all that close to Sinky but really wanted to pay my respects.

I couldn't make it either. Trains from Hamilton to Glasgow were cancelled and I couldn;t make a connection through to Edinburgh. Gutted I couldn't make it to pay tribute to one of the brightest characters to follow the Hearts.

Footballfirst

I made it to the service but didn't go back to the Gorgie Suite. It was the first time I had been to a "Humanist" funeral. It was sad in some ways, happy in others but throughout it was Sinky's own personality that shone through. It was a superb tribute to the man, with lots of humour, stories, images and Hearts related memories.

Well done Callum (Meadows) for the organisation and for stepping in to speak about Sinky in the absence of the expected member of the Hearts exec.

Well done Meadows, played a blinder today. Pity about that picture of me surfacing again :smiliz64:

scots civil war

should get a memorial do on the go for him pronto.....

amidst the chaos

this legend surely deserves it....

all the best to you sinky wherever you are now

Cheers to Callum and the rest of the boys - you sure did the wee man proud today - here is one picture that I took and would like to share for everybody that didn't make it today.

GoodbyeSinky.jpg

Cheers to Callum and the rest of the boys - you sure did the wee man proud today - here is one picture that I took and would like to share for everybody that didn't make it today.

GoodbyeSinky.jpg

Absolutely brilliant tribute.

GoodbyeSinky.jpg

I Knew that he would have the hearts flag draped over him and his blue DMs on top

A Poignant tribute.

Dougie Masterton

Made it in from East Calder, roads are horrendous. Good turn out for the wee man considering the conditions. We'll done to all who organised it.

Archived