The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Elysium. Not as good as district 9, but awesome in visuals, not much character development or back story let it down for me, very watchable though. 7/10.

Shanks said no

Lore

5/10

Interesting take on the end of the second world war from a German perspective. With subtitles. A family of German children (of Nazi parents) have to travel across their devasted country, meeting along the way various characters such as a Jewish boy, American soldiers and a nation coming to terms with what they did and an uncertain future. Very good concept, just felt it wandered a bit and lost its way.

500 days of summer

rom/com+sketch writing like Spaced+quirky soundtrack+shot like a music video = people think it's original.

Not for this fish. There are some very good things about it but they dont deserve to get mentioned

(oh, and the diegetic to mimetic song schtick got tired awfy quickly)

Edited by 2NaFish

Shanks said no

Hyde Park on Hudson

5/10

Better than I expected as I knew little about FDR other than in a political and polio sense. A bit of a ladies man it would appear. Story loosely based around our glorious King and Queen visiting the US of A for the first time. Far more enjoyable than Lincoln.

Guest GhostHunter

Elysium - top notch stuff from Blomkamp - the man knows how to put out movies with quality visuals...

6/10 - not sure on the casting of Matt Damon...

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Total Recall: If I'd never seen the original it would have been a decent film. 5/10

Wrath of the Titans: Nothing at all to set it apart in the genre. Deviates too much from the original mythology, wasn't as good as the remake of Clash of the Titans, which was a shite remake of my favourite film. 4/10

Safe House: Complete waste of time. Fell sound asleep. 3/10

Guest C00l K1d

The world's end.

I quite enjoyed it but it's one of they daft shite films you need to be in the mood to watch.

Notable cameos from emma watson and rihanna :pinilla:

The Great Gatsby .... 5/10 Not sure why I'm even giving it a pass.

Jack Reacher - 5.5/10 Better than Gatsby but only just.

Saw both on a plane so perhaps I've been harsh.

The Goonies with my kids. Surprisingly dark in places, especially the first half hour, but really, any film with a mutant, pirates, booby traps and the Truffle Shuffle can b only be a winner. 9/10

The world's end.

I quite enjoyed it but it's one of they daft shite films you need to be in the mood to watch.

Notable cameos from emma watson and rihanna :pinilla:

this is the end, no?

Shanks said no

Our Idiot Brother

3/10

So called comedy starring Paul Rudd as the hippy waster brother of a fairly dysfunctional family. Pretty poor stuff and unsure who this was aimed at, would not recommend.

CBGB

Not bad I wasn't that much a fan of American Punk bands, but the film was good.

It stars Alan Rickman, nuff sed.

7/10

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PsychocAndy

Shanks said no

Blackfish

7/10

Good documentary showing the truth behind SeaWorld and other whale/dolphin parks. Confess that I have been but it was under duress as I didn't like the concept. Proven right after watching this and feel guilty for funding this cruelty. Anyone planning a trip to Florida should be forced to watch it.

Shanks said no

Trouble with the curve

3/10

Clint Eastwood is getting old. A film about baseball scouts who travel across the US looking for the best draft picks. Clint Eastwood is getting old. Trousersnake tries acting again and bloke out of Roseanne appears (what happened to his kids?). Best described as a gentle Sunday afternoon film.

Patrick Bateman

White House Down 6/10 - Surprisingly decent action film. If you want a big, daft popcorn-flick experience, it does the job. A diet- Die Hard (the original, not the sequels), but that's no bad thing.

rudi must stay

Tropic Thunder

had heard it was good and it certainly is, as comedies go this is an exceptional one

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Silver Linings Playbook - A very quick 2 hours which is always a good indication of a good film. Probably wouldn't stand up to much analysis, but Bradley Cooper was good, and Jennifer Lawrence jumps straight to the top of the list for "women I spend too much time 'researching' online". Those hips .... F me.

Olympus Has Fallen

The President is a pussy.

6/10 :thumbsup:

The president is a dick in that film :lol:

He refuses to talk until AFTER his staff get shot/have seven shades of shit beaten out of them :lol:

In a world 7/10

Dragged to see this by the wife; hopes weren't high, as all I knew about it was that it was a rom-com. Turns out it's well acted, got some pretty good dialogue in it, and has a handful of genuine laugh-out-loud moments in it.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Nearly there with the F&F Films

Fast and Furious - I thought this was supposed to be where the series started getting more decent, but apart from reuniting the original cast it was pretty much the same as the first two, incredibly average.

4/10

Fast & Furious 5 - so THIS is where the series gets decent! Better stunts and effects, a passable plot that allows 2 sets of "good guys" to face off and best of all The Rock tearing up every scene he is in. Basically it's a proper action film at last. There's a lull in the middle but chase scene at the end makes up for it. They must have wrecked more cars than The Blues Brothers! Stupidly enjoyable

7/10

Pretty amazing for a series to be peaking at number 5. Breaks all the rules about sequels. After watching the first four I'm still not quite sure how it made it to five, but I'm glad it did (probably should have listened to my brother and skipped the first four tho).

On a separate note, part 4's name is really annoying. I remember there being a video on Cinemassacre moaning about this, and other sequels with chronologically confused names:

The Final Destination (aka FD 4)

Rocky Balboa (aka Rocky 6)

Rambo (US title, John Rambo in UK) (Rambo 4 - although even more confusingly the original is First Blood so doesn't even have Rambo in the title!)

Anyway, as that video said, Fast & Furious should have been called Fast & Furious 4 or even Fast and Fourious or 4ast & 4urious or something. Although tbf those might have annoyed me too

A Separation 8/10

Pretty impressive. Quite a simple story on the surface, but chock-full of moral questions that you'll be thinking about for days afterwards.

rudi must stay

Saw the movie Prisoners on Saturday. 7/10

What would you do as a father if your 7 year old daughter went missing?

Who knows? Is the movie good?

Dagger Is Back

Olympus Has Fallen

6/10

Time to switch off the brain and be 'entertained' with a ridiculous plot but lots of shooting. Beat the shit of out watching X Factor mind.

Dagger Is Back

Blackfish

7/10

Good documentary showing the truth behind SeaWorld and other whale/dolphin parks. Confess that I have been but it was under duress as I didn't like the concept. Proven right after watching this and feel guilty for funding this cruelty. Anyone planning a trip to Florida should be forced to watch it.

I've just read up about this and being a big softie, not sure I'd be able to see it through.

Filth 8/10

I haven't read the book so I can't compare, but I really enjoyed the film. An absolute crazy rollercoaster from start to finish.

James McAvoy's acting was superb. Highly recommended

Shanks said no

Hitchcock

6/10

Not a bad film and Sir Anthony is excellent. Centres around the making of Psycho and what he had to do to make his most successful movie.

Shanks said no

Byzantium

2/10

At a guess this is aimed at the slightly older Twiglet audience and not a 40 something bloke, so it wasn't for me. The tale involves two young female vampires, one goodish (she still drinks blood!) and one bad naughty one. Flicks back and forward across 200 years.

Patrick Bateman

Diana - 0/10 Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. It portrays her as a complete lunatic. It has the feel of a tv movie, with jarring dialogue and zero chemistry between Watts and the guy playing her lover. There's a scene where she disguises herself in a wig and goes to Chicken Cottage. That's not even the worst part. A total miscarriage of a movie.

rudi must stay

Dead Man Down

One of those films, abit like Leon or Drive, that has a very reclusive but also very interesting main character. I'm not sure it was as good as either of those two films as they are both, IMO, classics but I was very impressed. Colin Farrell puts in a very good performance in the lead role

8/10

Diana - 0/10 Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. It portrays her as a complete lunatic. It has the feel of a tv movie, with jarring dialogue and zero chemistry between Watts and the guy playing her lover. There's a scene where she disguises herself in a wig and goes to Chicken Cottage. That's not even the worst part. A total miscarriage of a movie.

quite want to see it based on that review.

quite want to see it based on that review.

The reviews I've read in the papers have all been similarly scathing. Which isn't really a huge surprise, although Naomi Watts is usually very good and it was made by the director of the exceptional Downfall.

Rust and Bone - very good French drama, although it loses a point for a few bits of contrived plotting. 8/10

What reason could you possibly have for going to see this shite?

Patrick Bateman

What reason could you possibly have for going to see this shite?

Morbid curiosity. Morbid, morbid curiosity.

There's also a scene where Diana wins her man's heart back by breaking into his studio flat and doing his dishes. I'm not even joking. If you have a cineworld card and want to see a bafflingly bad film with that made for TV vibe, look no further.