The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

If you go into a film wanting to enjoy it you always will

Can't agree with that. There's lots of films that I've both wanted and expected to enjoy but haven't.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Looper - really enjoyed this. Easy to pick holes in the plot and some of the internal logic if you want, but I was in the mood to go with the flow and it was great. Good to see some more original, well-made scifi.

8/10

The Hole (the Joe Dante one, not the Kiera Knightly one) was really good and creepy for the first half, before going safe and Twilight-Zone-lite in the second. Entertaining enough though.

6/10

2Fast 2Furious - a week on I can barely remember the first film, and an hour later I can't remember much more about the second except this one didn't have Vin Diesel but did have Eva Mendes. Passable I guess.

4/10

rudi must stay

Can't agree with that. There's lots of films that I've both wanted and expected to enjoy but haven't.

Course, I suppose I was generalising, I think I have more patience with movies than most have though

Shanks said no

Warm Bodies

7/10

Probably shouldn't have liked this but it was the first zombie film since Shaun of the Dead that I enjoyed. OK its a bit like Twiglet (which I don't like - honest) and there's a daft undertone of who the two main characters are (won't plot spoil). But it was an easy nice watch. Think I'm going soft!

Lars and the Real Girl - 7/10

Gosling actually speaks and acts. A strange film and pretty twee but very enjoyable. About a delusional man who goes out with a sex doll, its not a comedy though.

Just finished End of Watch - 7/10

Strange one, nothing really happens until the end but its quite enjoyable. Decent performances and a decent take on a police movie.

Chad Sexington

The Midnight Meat Train. 3/10 Vinnie Jones as a supernatural serial killer on the New York subway system.

:wiggo:

Tommy Wiseau

The Midnight Meat Train. 3/10 Vinnie Jones as a supernatural serial killer on the New York subway system.

Lol wut? :lol:

Chad Sexington

Lol wut? :lol:

Exactly what it says on the tin. :lol:

Starring Bradley Cooper and based on a Clive Barker short story. Utterly preposterous. Every time Vinnie was trying to look menacing, he'd pull the exact same face he pulled when he squeezed Gazza's balls. :lol:

Tommy Wiseau

Sounds good mate, I would defo have sat and watched that myself :wiggo:

Side Effects - 8 - Really impressive psychological thriller with Jude Law as good as I've seen him in years and Rooney Mara as good as she is in everything. Supposedly Soderbergh's last film? Hope not.

Chad Sexington

Sounds good mate, I would defo have sat and watched that myself :wiggo:

:lol:

In my defence, it was on cable. It's not like I paid cash money to watch it or anything.

I had a permanent :cornette: on from first credits to last.

:rofl: that sounds incredibly bad

The Conjuring 4/10

Don't know why I bother with these films each one is supposed to be more scary than the next and none of them end up being scary at all.

Byzantium 5/10

Boring vampire movie set in the UK.Has a good cast and Gemma Aterton is really hot as usual but its not very good at all.

The Conjuring 4/10

Don't know why I bother with these films each one is supposed to be more scary than the next and none of them end up being scary at all.

Agreed. 'Based' on a true story. The word based is very important.

Probably 5% truth.

Nothing to Seperate from other stories of this type.

3/10.

Only God Forgives - I really liked it but can see how it will polarise opinions. It definitely helps if you've seen (and enjoyed) Valhalla Rising as I thought it was like a mixture of that and Drive - brooding and violent, with similar uses of darkness and colour. Kristen Scott Thomas was great but Gosling was a bit pointless; anyone could've played that role. Still, I though it was good. 8/10

Shanks said no

Arbitrage

8.5/10

Very good Richard Gere movie where he plays a hedge-fund boss who appears to have everything and more, but does he. Twists and oh moments abound with a really good storyline. Would have given it a 9 but for the end.

Shanks said no

Gangster Squad

1/10

rented on the basis of Sean Penn was in it and I thought he rarely makes a bad movie, wrong. 12 hours later I can't get my head round what I watched, until I switched it off. It appeared to be an attempt at re-doing a 30's / 40's gangster movie. You know Edward G Robinson / Jimmy Cagney sort of thing. Fail Fail Fail. I really hated it

Edited by godandgorgie2012

The Paperboy

1/10

Nicole Kidman's performance aside, this is a load of old nonsense. One of the worst films I've seen in quite some time.

The Heat - 6/10.

Melissa McCarthy is entertaining enough as her usual aggressive/sweary self, and Sandra Bullock is surprisingly good comic foil. Worth a watch.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 8/10.

Love AP, but I was worried that this film would be the step too far. However, it's got all the character of the TV show, and it manages to feel like a film instead of a 3 episode special. My girlfriend hadn't seen anything Partridge-related going in (I know - I have work to do :lol:), and she enjoyed it too.

Tommy Wiseau

Gangster Squad - 4 - pretty pish, despite a good cast and a great look. I'll tolerate an LA Confidential / Untouchables rip off if you give me characters with any kind of depth, or a plot which isn't just violence violence violence.

Shanks said no

The Last Stand

3/10

Arnie and Johnny Knoxville, do I need to say more? Exactly what I thought it would be, if you are a fan of this genre then you might love it. It was ok.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

13 Tzameti 7/10

French film about a Georgian lad who unwittingly gets caught up in a twisted underground gambling ring.

Saw that years ago... Weird film. Good though.

Tommy Wiseau

The Great Gatsby - 5 - every mark of that is for DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and the source material. Baz Luhrmann keeps up his record of making films that I hate.

Edited by Tommy Wiseau

Shanks said no

Playing for Keeps

1/10

mmmm where shall I start? OK spoiler coming up but it needs said. The film starts with Gerard Butler playing socker for Celtic, Liverpool, some US team and Scotland. Hackles up yet ? Within 20 minutes he makes a completely inappropriate joke involving our queen and throughout the film shouts w@nkers to kids. Hated the film and hate him.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

Shanks said no

The Raid or The Raid-Redemption

8/10

I'm not normally a martial arts fan, well not since Bruce Lee anyway, but wow!. Set in Jakarta Indonesia this starts slowly and too many guns in first 15-30 minutes but then the guns get dropped and its hand to hand combat for the next hour. Great pre-derby day entertainment.

Tommy Wiseau

The Hobbit - 5 - BOOOOOOOOOORING. Other than the Gollum scene and the bit with the wolves at the very end, my mind was wandering, I was losing interest and was so disengaged with it. 45 minutes of the film before he left his house ffs! There is never enough in the book to justify it being more than - at an absolute stretch - 2 films, and the amount of padding in this to wheel spin it out is beyond a joke. I am on some run of shit films the now btw; that's about 5 stinkers in a row :lol:

Chad Sexington

Grave Encounters. 7/10. A Most Haunted type film crew spend a night in a old insane asylum. A found footage horror movie in the style of Blair Witch and Paranormal Activities. Ridiculous nonsense. But strangely enjoyable ridiculous nonsense. It's a good setting and the film has a nice creepy vibe to it. Unlike some other movies of this type, things actually happen and they really crank up the crazy as the film reaches it's climax. :)

Shanks said no

The Place Beyond the Pines

6/10

Loved Ryan Gosling but just not enough of him in the movie. Good bits but the film wandered aimlessly and into an unbelievable storyline.

Goodbye Bafana

7/10

Based on the memoirs of Nelson Mandela's prison guard. Most of his memoirs seem to have been made-up, but it's a good watch none-the-less.

Percy Jackson- 6:

Plot was derivative shite, but the characters are pretty likeable, and you can't go wrong with Nathan Fillion.

Elysium. Very disappointing as I like Matt Damon. Too many subtitles, too many people speaking in accents that are barely understandable. Don't recommend it.

Guest GhostHunter

The Conspiracy - most people won't like this one, but looking through the shaky cam found footage genre flick, and this movie has more substance and depth than many hollywood blockbusters...an impressive amount of back story went into this, from fake websites to fake wiki entries - very impressive.

I may be biased, as the main star of the movie is a friend, however....

10/10

Shanks said no

Blood

4/10

Gritty British cop thriller with a very good cast of modern British stars such as Paul Bettany, Stephen Graham, Mark Strong and Brian Cox. Just didn't get it but probably one of those films where you need to be in the mood for it. Also sound was out of sinc with the pictures which became very distracting, dont know if that was the disc or my blu ray player.

Killing Them Softly - was looking forward to this but it was disappointing. Pretty dull story with some annoying characters. 5/10

Shanks said no

Even the Rain

4/10

Film set in Bolivia about the making of a film. Jumps back and forward between present day with widespread poverty/revolt and Columbus discovering the New World.

Shanks said no

The Liability

5/10

British gangster movie with Peter Mullan and Tim Roth. Biggest surprise was that I felt Tim was just going through the motions, as if he was doing someone a favour and plodding through the plot. Not a classic.