The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

maroonlegions

Some spooky bits in this movie, prefered the first one but the ending suggests it aint over yet... lol.

Insidious: Chapter 2:

The haunted Lambert family seeks to uncover the mysterious childhood secret that has left them dangerously connected to the spirit world.

7/10.

Gravity. 7/10

Great cinematography, and Sandra Bullock looks very, very nice. Some tense moments, and some moments where the story is drawn out too long, imo.

Worth watching.

Rush 9/10 - i have finally got round to seeing this, being a Formula 1 fan probably makes my score a bit higher than most.

The introduction and history of the character was excellent. The scenes relating to Laudas crash and hospital stay brought a tear to my eye. The guy who played Lauda was outstanding, an unbelievable performance. Hemsworth as Hunt was very good as well.

Disser Pointon

Silver Linings Playbook - superb. Romantic comedy is the genre where films go to die, but this was brilliant. 9/10

I agree, not usually my thing but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the two leads were superb.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Ink

Low budget surrealist style sci-fi fantasy adventure. Incubi, dreams, lost souls and moral messages. The low budget means the photography is not of epic proportions but they have went out to compensate for this by some clever special effects which are very effective a slick. The story is good and the acting decent. I liked it, and I went in to it rather skepticaly. A good yarn.

8/10

Shanks said no

Trance

6/10

Not a bad film, nice twisty turny movie but not a classic Danny Boyle film, think he was maybe filling time before his next biggy

Shanks said no

Kings of Summer

5/10

The first half hour had me enthralled and I thought this had serious potential. Great portrayal of parents v teenage children in modern day USA. But somewhere along the way the film seemed to "lose the plot" and deteriorated in my humble opinion into a very disappointing end

Shanks said no

Good Vibrations

9.5/10

Deducted 1/2 point for Terri Hooley's beard, it wasn't required and he did/does not have one. Anyway I watched this on Saturday night with the wife and on Sunday night with teenage son. All of us loved it. Based on the Belfast Punk scene and the Godfather of NI punk Terri Hooley. Rarely have I seen a punk movie that got it so well, it wasn't all sweetness and light but it was so much fun. The scene where he sees the Outcasts for the first time had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Strongly recommend to any old punks out there.

Shanks said no

Behind the Candelabra

8/10

Liberace as played by Michael Douglas, astonishing performance by him and indeed by his "friend" Scott played by Matt Damon. Be prepared to be a little shocked, A listers doing what A listers never did in the past. Not a movie for the whole family or the easily offended but a very interesting insight into one of the USA's highest earners of the 70's.

Shanks said no

Bachelorette

2/10

Girls do the Hangover really badly. The reviews said it would be so but I have a weird horn for Rebel Wilson so I rented it. Even Rebel let me down. To make it even worse the Proclaimers 500 miles is on the soundtrack.

Good Vibrations

9.5/10

Deducted 1/2 point for Terri Hooley's beard, it wasn't required and he did/does not have one. Anyway I watched this on Saturday night with the wife and on Sunday night with teenage son. All of us loved it. Based on the Belfast Punk scene and the Godfather of NI punk Terri Hooley. Rarely have I seen a punk movie that got it so well, it wasn't all sweetness and light but it was so much fun. The scene where he sees the Outcasts for the first time had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Strongly recommend to any old punks out there.

Great movie..cheers for bringing to my attention

Shanks said no

The Iceman

8/10

Based on the true story of hitman Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski, think its because I knew it was based around facts that made it so chillingly good. Michael Shannon plays the Iceman so well, the scene where he loses it when driving his wife and kids is immense. If he really did live a double life where his family thought he was going out to work a normal job each day, whereas he was doing up to 200 hits, then he was some machine in real life!

Shanks said no

Identity Thief

3/10

Far fetched US storyline based around a ridiculous tale of credit card fraud. Had potential but was nonsense and had to resort to violence and crude humour. Strangely it did appeal to my wife's sense of humour more than mine. And for the 2nd review in a row it had the Proclaimers on the soundtrack.

WEE MAN

7/10-decent watchable movie,if its all true of course then the Glasgow police must love Paul ferris the man must have cleaned half the streets of Glasgow in the 80's,I was surprised he was able to just walk away from that life usually there's repercussions

Django

9/10-watched it again after falling asleep and missing about 40 minutes when seeing it in the cinema,brilliant movie with decent main characters that grow on you as it goes on

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Thought it was brilliant. Never really watched Star Trek previously but I really enjoyed this film. 8/10.

World War Z - Wasn't expecting much but turned out to be half decent in the end. 7/10

Oblivion - Good acting but a strange story line. 6/10

A Haunted House.

Comedy from a wayans brother, pretty predictable most of the way through but it scores a bit higher as there was 3 scenes that had me laughing out loud and its worth watching for those scenes alone.

7/10.

Patrick Bateman

Any new apocalyptic-type films anyone would recommend? Not necessarily zombie related but I really do love an 'end of the world' type film.

The Road and The Mist are two very atmospheric, apocalyptic films and are zombie-free.

The Wee Man - 1/10. Switched it off after 15 mins - 15 mins of cliches and well spoken Scottish accents. I like Martin Compston and Ferris is an interesting character but Dennis Lawson and Claire Crogan as Ferris' parents made it sound like it was set in Milngavie.

maroonlegions

Not bad considering there were no hollywood stars in it, some good acting , this was based on a true story of the bizarre and highly mysterious deaths of some Russian skiers..

Watch Devil's Pass: The Dyatlove Pass Incident follows a group of students on a trek to investigate the true life mystery of nine Russian skiers who befell an unexplained death while skiing in the Russian mountains in 1959. To this day, their deaths have been one of the most bizarre unsolved mysteries of the 20th century.

devils-pass-3222943.jpg

Shanks said no

A Late Quartet

6/10

A film completely outwith my normal comfort zone, its about a chamber music and a string quartet. However it stars Philip Seymour Hoffman and Christopher Walken so I thought I would give it a go. Don't expect fast paced action but about an hour in I started to really enjoy it. It's intense and brilliantly acted, just didn't get the music, its based around Beethoven's Op. 131 but its quite a moving film.

...a bit disco

Man Of Steel

Enjoyed it and thought Henry Cavill was a reasonable Superman.

Lacking a bit of humour maybe?

7/10

rudi must stay

Captain Philips

Paul Greengrass has this sort of movie sorted. It really is a very atmospheric movie, with a performance that I didn't think Tom Hanks had in him. Phenomenal

10/10

Edited by rudi must stay