The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Welcome to the Punch

6/10

Another British gangster / cop movie with Peter Mullan and this time Mark Strong & James MacAvoy. Set in London Docklands that seems rather deserted. Unbelievable storyline but not a bad violent crime thriller if you stop questioning the plot.

End Of Watch - enjoyable cop drama from the director of Harsh Times, only let down by a couple of slightly cheesy moments. 7.5/10

Cloud Atlas

8/10

This one split critics (and JKB reviewers, it seems), but I liked it a lot. It's pretty ambitious, and probably doesn't all come together as planned, but it's worth a look.

Thirty Dark Zero ... 5.5/10 Too long; boring (fell asleep) and they didn't show the body being dumped out the back of a plane over the Atlantic. So obviously not authentic. :rolleyes:

Pusher ... Watched it yesterday and barely remember a single scene. Probably a 5.5.

Trance ... Watched it this morning but barely remember a single scene bar that one of Rosario Dawson :o For that alone it gets a 9.5 ... nahh, film was okay, a 7, just.

The Great Gatsby 1/10

I couldn't get anymore than 30 mins through this before I had to tell the wife you can watch this later yourself.Every single person in it anyoyed the **** out of me.

Shanks said no

Les Intouchables

9/10

Most enjoyable film I've seen in ages, to be honest.

Agree completely, rarely have I laughed, cried and sat open mouthed so much during a film. A masterpiece.

Shanks said no

Albert Nobbs

4/10

Irish period drama that's a bit Upstairs Downstairs but with a touch of the Crying Game thrown in. Odd film that strangely kept me watching.

Shanks said no

Compliance

7/10

OK this appealed to my twisted sense of humour up to a point. Basically we have fast food joint, a policeman calls up and tells the manageress a member of staff is under suspicion and the manageress has to question and search and the film continues in that vein for 90 minutes......... based on a number of true stories......

Shanks said no

Lincoln

3/10

Positives - DDL and TLJ are obviously great character actors. But it felt far too much like a history lesson on a extremely boring, albeit very important, issue of American politics / history. Maybe on another day, in a different mood, I might have been more engrossed but 2 hrs in I switched it off, there was still 30 minutes to play.

Lincoln

3/10

Positives - DDL and TLJ are obviously great character actors. But it felt far too much like a history lesson on a extremely boring, albeit very important, issue of American politics / history. Maybe on another day, in a different mood, I might have been more engrossed but 2 hrs in I switched it off, there was still 30 minutes to play.

You never missed much.

As for your review I totally agree with it.

Edited by vegas-voss

Agree completely, rarely have I laughed, cried and sat open mouthed so much during a film. A masterpiece.

Indeed. What surprised me most was just how laugh-out-loud funny it was. Really top stuff.

Planes

4/10

Marking kids' films is difficult, as my son loved it. But then you have to remind yourself that when you're 6, every film you've ever seen is brilliant.

For anyone considering this with their kids, it's OK, but generally a bit short on laughs, and not really in the same league as Cars.

Broken City

3/10

A great cast on paper, but the plot was so full of holes that it all just fell apart. Terrible dialogue didn't help either.

The Hunt - excellent Danish drama about a small-town witch hunt after a nursery teacher is falsely accused of child abuse. Mads Mikkelsen won best actor at Cannes for this and it was well earned; he's superb. 9/10

End of Watch ...

As previously mentioned by Zico, enjoyable. A 'Colors' for the 21st Century. POV was a welcome addition, especially as it wasn't overdone.

So, it gets a 7/10. Just like that.

We're The Millers

Quite funny, occasionally very funny and a reasonable "story" to hang off it. Of course it sticks to the tried and tested comedy template but still one of the better comedies of late. 8/10 (demote to a 7.5/7 if Jennifer Aniston in her skimpies doesn't do anything for you).

Samsara - Beautifully shot in Super Panavision 70. On a decent telly it looks fantastic. 8.5/10

The Descendants

8/10

Funny at times, and touching without ever getting too mawkish. Thought it was a wee gem of a film, tbh.

Couldn't sleep so was up early and watched Half Nelson. Not the happiest story in the world but nice teacher and student friendship. I'd say 6/10.

Shanks said no

The Raven

3/10

Edgar Allan Poe has a problem, his horror stories start coming true. Utter nonsense and I thought John Cusack was better than this.

Shanks said no

The Look of Love

8/10

Coogan plays Partridge playing Paul Raymond, maybe being a tad unfair as it was a decent film. Found it hard to believe that a man who was one of the richest people in Britain could be such an idiot. Fair enough he was besotted to his daughter but if she was half as stupid as she was portrayed then he must have had blinkered vision. That aside, what a seriously enjoyable life he led during the good times. Interestingly I looked up what happened to Fiona Richmond, film tells you at the end, she runs a hotel in Grenada where no nude / topless sunbathing is allowed.

Kick Ass 2 7/10

Never going to be better than the original but good stuff all the same.

Rudolf's Mate

Les Intouchables

9/10

Most enjoyable film I've seen in ages, to be honest.

I'm looking for this but can't find it anywhere. Who's in it?

Shanks said no

Olympus has fallen

4/10

Obviously a film made for US audiences. Yes it was big budget action, multiple dead, Gerard Butler the all action hero but did I care? Nah, as soon as they had the baddies throw the star spangled banner from the White House roof you just knew what was coming. "heroes every one of them"

Thale

Finally got round to watching this film based on Scandinavian folklore, with Thale being a Huldra.

Super low budget production, but it hit the mark for me - a nice wee supernatural horror.

Loved it.

8/10 :thumbsup:

Silver Linings Playbook

8/10

Much better than I thought it was going to be. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic, as is - somewhat surprisingly, for me at least - Bradley Cooper.

Berberian Sound Studio - weird psychological drama that's also a tribute to the Italian giallo horrors of the 70s. Quite clever but felt like it was missing something. 7/10

Berberian Sound Studio - weird psychological drama that's also a tribute to the Italian giallo horrors of the 70s. Quite clever but felt like it was missing something. 7/10

Weird is an understatement. Quite enjoyed it though.

Dogma 7.5/10

Just watched it again, found it on You Tube, and it was as good as I remember.

Shanks said no

Evil Dead (2013)

2/10

Confession time first. I saw the original back in the day, with my girlfriend now wife, its the drunkest I have ever been at the cinema without falling asleep. She still remembered the night as I was close to being thrown out for shouting "that trees going to shag her". So with fond memories we sat down to watch this. Pants. Slasher horror with added boke factor throughout. Maybe an age thing but just didn't do it for me.

Evil Dead (2013)

2/10

Confession time first. I saw the original back in the day, with my girlfriend now wife, its the drunkest I have ever been at the cinema without falling asleep. She still remembered the night as I was close to being thrown out for shouting "that trees going to shag her". So with fond memories we sat down to watch this. Pants. Slasher horror with added boke factor throughout. Maybe an age thing but just didn't do it for me.

:lol: so typically eighties.

Django Unchained

Like Blazing Saddles, only with extreme violence.

Point dropped for lack of bean scene.

9/10 :thumbsup:

Rudolf's Mate

Untouchable (2011)

"Intouchables" (original title)

After he becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, an aristocrat hires a young man from the projects to be his caretaker.

Stars:

Fran?ois Cluzet, Omar Sy, Anne Le Ny

:vrface:

I've got it on my hard drive! It had received amazing reviews so I rented it from Lovefilm and (ahem) have it.

I'll watch it once the Mrs goes to bed as she's not a fan of subtitles.

Sexton Hardcastle

Now You See Me

6/10

Hard to explain the poor rating without giving away too much. Seen better and seen a lot worse in recent weeks. Worth a scout for Isla Fisher in some tight clothing anyway. The French bursd wasn't too shabby either.

Guest C00l K1d

Now You See Me

6/10

Hard to explain the poor rating without giving away too much. Seen better and seen a lot worse in recent weeks. Worth a scout for Isla Fisher in some tight clothing anyway. The French bursd wasn't too shabby either.

I was quite looking forward to that one, thought it was pretty pish imo.

Almost turned it of when isla fisher started floating in the bubble :laugh:

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Shutter Island - really good mystery thriller, with another good de caprio performance (but then he is good at "troubled hero with a mysterious past"). Like most twisty turny films it's probably best not to question everything too much afterwards.

8/10

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the tim burton one - a wild mix of successfully recreating Roald Dahl's world, and defecating all over it. Most of the film looked great, but Depp's Wonka didn't work for me and the back story subplot was tacked on and pointless. Still, our 4year old seemed to enjoy it.

5/10

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift - bearing in mind my extremely low expectations, this was pretty decent. Different enough from the first two (which were basically the same film) it breezed by harmlessly enough.

5/10

Dagger Is Back

The Lone Ranger 7/10

I wasn't looking forward to this as it's been panned by the critics. Done in the same style as Pirates of The Caribbean with gags (some OK some rubbish) and loads of action scenes. Lasts for over 2 hours and I didn't fall asleep which is what I usually do in a cinema so it must have had something.