The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

A Hijacking

8/10

Excellent Danish thriller about a ship taken by Somali pirates. A slow burner but worth watching until the end and you get subtly drawn deeper into the muddy waters between hostage, keeper and negotiator.

rudi must stay

The Family

Was worried it was going to be abit like the Adams family, but thankfully it isn't. I think it could have been improved, one character in particular was totally unlikeable, which I dont think he was meant to be. The young actor portraying him came across as very smug. But De Niro's on top form, and it has some good scenes. Not a classic, but not terrible either

6/10

Bullhead

8/10

Where to start? Belgium film with subtitles that was nominated for an Oscar in best foreign film category. Story is around a steroid injecting young farmer. Matthias Schoenaerts gives a great performance but I have to disagree with reviewers who compared it to De Niro in Raging Bull, great but not that great. You have to concentrate and its a long one but I think its worth it in the end.

A Hijacking

8/10

Excellent Danish thriller about a ship taken by Somali pirates. A slow burner but worth watching until the end and you get subtly drawn deeper into the muddy waters between hostage, keeper and negotiator.

Two brilliant, brilliant films. Excellent performances in the lead roles (and supports).

Watched a few over the last week (I think this might be my first contribution to the thread though.

The Counsellor - 5/10

A film where a lot is going on but nothing actually happens. A fairly predictable storyline and a bit lengthy for what went on. If it wasnt for the performances of Pitt and Bardem, I would have scored it lower. Diaz is a fairly poor actress, shown here. And I'm still undecided on Michael Fassbender.

Killer Joe - 8/10

Super film from start to finish with a real wicked bit of black comedy thrown in. Matthew McConaughey really is a great actor and has been wasted in all those shan romcoms he's been in. Some super performances from the supporting cast, in particular Juno Temple as Dottie.

Catfish - The Film - 7/10

The TV show is a bit of guilty pleasure of mine but the original documentary was a decent watch. I'm still scratching my head how people can get taken in by people on the Internet like this.

Drive - 8.5/10

Gave this a watch after reading all the fuss. I wasnt disappointed. Great performance from Gosling as well as Mulligan and Cranston. Shot wonderfully with a brilliant soundtrack to accompany it. It took awhile to find out why it was rated an 18 though! Excellent film.

Shanks said no

Easy Money

9/10

I've been on a subtitles kick in the last few days and this was the best of the lot. Swedish film where the criminals of the former Yugoslav republics fight it out over the drug trade, slot in JW who is a bit of a local chancer / man of straw. Lost me a bit to begin with but well worth a watch and one of the best crime thrillers I have seen in a while.

All The President's Men - one of those old classics that I'd never got round to seeing. I wasn't disappointed. Top notch 70s thriller. 8/10

The Wolverine - enjoyable enough comic book action film. 6/10

The Way, Way Back - I really enjoyed this. Not laugh out loud funny, just a really well written, well acted coming of age comedy drama. 8/10

The Wrestler - 8.5/10

After having this in my collection for sometime, I finally got round to watching it. Superb film. Rourke is fantastic in it with a tremendous supporting cast. After watching some docus about wrestlers in the past, it was excellent in its depiction of the struggles some of these guys go through.

Patrick Bateman

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 8/10 - Really enjoyable, quirky movie with a brilliant soundtrack. It reminded me of Punch Drunk Love, with a lot of surreal interludes.

Sneakers 6.5/10

Stellar cast, Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley and River Phoenix.

Hunger Games 2 7/10

Easy Money

9/10

I've been on a subtitles kick in the last few days and this was the best of the lot. Swedish film where the criminals of the former Yugoslav republics fight it out over the drug trade, slot in JW who is a bit of a local chancer / man of straw. Lost me a bit to begin with but well worth a watch and one of the best crime thrillers I have seen in a while.

I haven't had a chance to see the 3rd one yet, the first 2 were pretty decent.

Shanks said no

The Act of Killing 8.5/10

Incredible documentary about a gang who were responsible for the murder of thousands of "communists" in Indonesia in the 60s, with the story being told through the killers' own, increasingly deranged re-enactments. Sat open-jawed through most of the 2 1/2 hours.

The Act of Killing 8/10

Don't know what else to say other than, was this film real, honestly?. Son remarked after about 5 minutes that it was as if the subtitles didn't match the film, these nice old men were laughing and joking but when you read the subtitles it became obvious they were mass murderers in the 60's. Remarkable stuff.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

Went to see Filth this morning. Enjoyable, with top performance from McAvoy. Pity the tapeworm didn't feature - Terry Gilliam would have done a great job of it!

The Act of Killing 8/10

Don't know what else to say other than, was this film real, honestly?. Son remarked after about 5 minutes that it was as if the subtitles didn't match the film, these nice old men were laughing and joking but when you read the subtitles it became obvious they were mass murderers in the 60's. Remarkable stuff.

Yeah it was unreal. No remorse, no shame. They were proud and considered themselves national heroes.

Only towards the end did the main guy they were following start to crack and begin to realise how abhorrent his actions were. One of the worst bits had to be the fat git boasting about how he enjoyed raping 14 year olds. If ever there was a man I would love to repeatedly punch in the face, it was that ***t.

Shanks said no

Stuck in Love 5/10 After last nights harrowing look at Indonesian murder squads this was probably what the doctor ordered, just. A romantic comedy with a decent soundtrack. moderate fair.

Easy Money

9/10

Sounds great...will be watching this over the weekend I think.

Prisoners 7/10 - good watch, quite long at 2.5 hours but it flies past. Loses points on a few obvious plot holes, but some great performances from Jackman and Gyllenhaal and I can see a few oscar nominations. Quite dark in certain parts.

rudi must stay

Parkland

I thought there were some continuity errors. All in all its not bad, I think the actress playing LHW's Mum has a future in comedy. Who knows what film she thought she was in, many different accents and conversations she wasn't even in that she invited herself into. Definatly a poor casting choice for a movie about such a sombre occasion. I wouldn't recommend it, there is a good film in there. But it isn't put together particularly well here

6/10

Shanks said no

The Assassination 3/10 US Teen school drama that's a cross between Twiglet and Glee. Bruce Willis joins the cast as Principal who has returned from Iraq (the only highlight for me was the song about US troops and sand!) Drivel but I'm not the target audience.

Shanks said no

Small Town Murder Songs 4/10 Fargoesque cop drama based in a Mennonite community in Ontario. The trailer sold the film for me but unfortunately it turned out it contained all the good bits! Was looking forward to this and felt let down.

The Hunt - 8/10.

Good film about someone who is wrongly convicted of being a pedophile.

Available on Netflix for those interested.

Any other decent films I can watch on Netflix?

We're The Millers

8/10

Thought it was going to be a poor rom-com, but ended up pissing myself laughing most of the way through it.

Shanks said no

Before Midnight 2/10 Seemingly the third in a series of films about a couple. Having not watched the first two it maybe lost some of its meaning with me. A romance where the husband and wife talked and talked and talked some more.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Before Midnight 2/10 Seemingly the third in a series of films about a couple. Having not watched the first two it maybe lost some of its meaning with me. A romance where the husband and wife talked and talked and talked some more.

The 'Before' series is one of the best movie trilogies ever created.

Kill Your Darlings 6/10 Daniel Radcliffe's latest film. Some decent acting and enjoyable at parts but it seemed to drag on much longer than it's 90 minutes, not a good sign.

Shanks said no

The 'Before' series is one of the best movie trilogies ever created.

Fair enough but it wasn't for me, or my wife or my son who wanted it switched off after less than 30 minutes.

rudi must stay

Jeff, Who Lives At Home

A very well put together film. I'd definatly recommend it, its not often you see a quirky, black comedy type movie that actually works. Great soundtrack as well

8/10

Shanks said no

Only God Forgives 5/10 Very odd Ryan Gosling film. I'll admit I just did not understand what on earth was going on! Gave it pass marks for the cinematography and some shocking violence but ultimately another let down.

Disconnect. 8/10

Sky Movies Anytime drama with Jason Bateman playing a serious character. Good cast, quite a gripping story. In the mould of Crash.

Shanks said no

This is the end 3/10 Adolescent comedy that mixed crudeness with drug use, interesting soundtrack but not my type of film with few laugh out loud moments. More a celebrity spotting movie than anything else IMHO.

Shanks said no

Safe Haven

6/10

OK romantic drama that kept the better have quiet for a couple of hours. Very light story apart from a couple of wee twists however the very end got me big time. Won't spoil it but an excellent end that didn't match the rest of the film.

Closed Circuit. 6/10. All right. Extra point for being topical. Formulaic, but most are these days. Acting good.

Shanks said no

96 minutes

4/10

US drama about 4 youths who find their lives hurtling together to a bloody conclusion. Very jumpy (not in a scary way, in its timeline). Too much based around US homeboy / gang culture for my liking. Not great.