The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Chad Sexington

Searching For Sugar Man. 6/10

Have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed by this. I probably expected more because of the massive hype and the Oscar but I just found it a bit dull.

Probably didn't help that I wasn't sold on his music at all.

Shanks said no

Cloud Atlas

2/10

I really tried to watch this, from the start 3 times, but I didn't have a clue what I was watching. In my opinion someone was on drugs when they thought this up. I can't even say what it was about because I just don't know.

Creepy Lurker

Amour - 7/10

French film about an old couple where the man has to deal with his wife's loss of her physical/mental faculties. Expected it to be a load of pretentious shit, but it was actually quite good.

Sunset Boulevard - 9/10

Quite often don't like films that are considered to be classics - I'm an uncultured moron - but I really enjoyed this.

Oblivion - 2/10

Its absolute shite. tom Cruise is a ******* cheesy nob and its basically 9 films rolled into one. Its a piss poor version of Wall-E.

Absolute junk.

The Iceman 7/10

Decent but not great film about a mob Hitman.Shannon very good as usual as was Liotta but its just not that great a story.

Shanks said no

Star Trek Into Darkness

6/10

Good and for trekkies probably pretty awesome. Deducted a point for Simon Pegg hamming the Scottish accent, just wrong and definitely not Linlithgow. Bones was ok but Chekov was spot on, amazing how 30 odd years later I started recognising characters.

Rush - 8/10 An interesting story line that kept me engrossed from start to finish, a very quick two hours. It tells the story and charts the rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt during the 1976 F1 season.

Most of the acting was excellent, with both leading characters playing there parts really well. A wee unexpected bonus seeing my old mate Jamie Sives playing a mechanic.

rudi must stay

The Way Way Back

An absolute gem of a movie. And I totally agree with another poster, Sam Rockwell is superb, although Steve Carell is exceptional too in a very different sort of role for him

I'd give this movie a 10, I know that's a big score, but I don't know how you could improve it. It's well worth going to see

Elysium

As a big fan of District 9, I was really looking forward to this. Left feeling a little disappointed though, mainly down to the predictable and unimaginative storyline.

Visually, it is stunning. The scale is there and it detail is excellent.

Foster wasn't great, Damon was grand while Copley stole the show.

Great visuals let down by poor storyline.

Still 7/10 though :thumbsup:

Shanks said no

Mud

9/10

An unusually high score from me. Matthew McConaughey is superb and acts effortlessly throughout. Special praise to Tye Sheridan who plays Ellis. There are elements of Stand By Me in it and giving the other boy a different haircut would have helped but all in all a minor masterpiece. The type of film you know you can watch again and discover new things. Reece Witherspoon has been panned for her performance but I got it, not every film needs a strong save it all woman, she played a broad and played her well. It also has a 51 numberplate.................

Patrick Bateman

Any Day Now - Without doubt the most cynical piece of film making I've ever seen. Two gay guys try to adopt a boy with downs syndrome. It's as appalling a piece of Oscar whoring as it sounds.

Couple of documentaries...

Bones Brigade - The story of six kids who pretty much invented modern skateboarding (Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen etc) and therefore helped make extreme sports popular. Probably an acquired taste but anyone who, like me, loved skateboarding in the 80s will love it. 8/10

The End Of The Road - Interesting doc about the concept of money focusing on Bretton Woods, Nixon's deficit running etc. They explained some complex subjects well but I questioned the motives of many of the 'experts' who all seemed to have a vested interest in talking up gold or their own books. 6/10

Shanks said no

This is 40

4/10

Probably failed the Kermodian 5 laughs rule to pass off as a proper laugh out loud comedy but an amusing enough adult film. Did feel it was being gross / swearing for the sake of it and for shock value but I suppose that's the American way.

Shanks said no

The Sessions

8/10

I watched this film knowing very little about it, which is possibly the best way. Not wanting to give away any spoilers but you need to know its about Mark, a life long polio sufferer and his sexual awakening in his 40's. Helen Hunt stars and complete respect to the lady for the role she plays, I feel many "stars" wouldn't have touched this. Its sensitive, funny and ultimately moving. Finally it does show that the US can still make very good films, as opposed to my previous post.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

Shanks said no

Zero Dark Thirty

7/10

Not sure about this one, very soon after the event and probably will be a film to go back to in 10-20 years time when it might be a good historic account of the hunt for OBL. My pet hate is scenes shot in the dark in movies, I know there wasn't an alternative, but the last 15 minutes were spoilt for me. Also didn't like the tear at the end as it went against all that had been portrayed in the previous 2 1/2 hours. But glad I have now watched it.

Sexton Hardcastle

The Invention of Lying

6/10

Easy sunday night flick with some fairly funny parts. What you would expect of a Gervais film. Lovely cameo by Sean Williams made it even better.

Jane Eyre (2011 version)

7/10

The wife made me, honest. :shame:

Actually, it was pretty good, as far as book-to-film adaptations go. Some top-notch performances from Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender.

The Ides of March ... decent enough but in some ways a bit twee. 7/10

This is 40 ... 48hrs later and I can barely remember what this was about ... a few laughs; not particularly clever overall. 5/10

Shanks said no

To the Wonder

2/10

Lets get the positives out of the way, beautiful cinematography, one of the most stunning pieces of Arthouse cinema I have ever watched but and its a pretty big but, I do not have a clue what I have just watched. It reminded me a bit of the late night films some may have watched on channel 4 in the hope of seeing something you shouldn't, so you could go to school the next day and boast to your mates. Those days are gone though. Wife and son lasted about 10 minutes and walked out. I persevered, this film was directed by Terrence Malick, the director of The Tree of Life and stars Ben Affleck. I'm sure someone will come on here and slate me for missing the point but even though I read the summary which said Malick explores how love can transform, destroy, and reinvent lives I thought it was absolute nonsense.

Olympus Has Fallen 5/10

Started off alright although completely far fetched but after about 40 mins the rest of the movie just felt the same way plodding along.It lacked the wit of an early Die Hard for instance which these type of films need and it felt overly long.

rudi must stay

About Time

An excellent romantic comedy. Full of funny moments and excellent scenes. It did go on a while longer than it needed to though IMO

7/10

Blackfish.....Brilliant and shocking documentary about killer whales and how SeaWorld cover up all the attacks and mistreatment of their whales and staff.

No way should they be allowed to continue after watching this.10/10

Shanks said no

Dark Skies

6/10

This one grew on me, it started like so many US paranormal / supernatural movies but developed about half way through. Far fetched, yes, but it was worth the watch. A bit like the Xfiles. Don't want to add a spoiler but a few elements of this film were a wee bit scary.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Oslo, August 31st

Follows a day in the life of a recovering drug addict in Oslo on day release from a rehabilitation centre. The guy who plays the lead role is phenonemenal. Part time actor and musician, full time Doctor :lol:

Brilliant film though. Has a real intensity but in an understated way.

9/10

Edited by Captain Haddock

The dark knight 9.5/10

If you had to choose one film out of all that has been made to show batman then this is it, great plot and great characters...very difficult to pick any faults with this at all.

Shanks said no

Love is all you need

4/10

One for the ladies. A Danish / English collaboration with about 50% subtitled. Trine Dyrholm is superb as the cancer patient and Pierce Brosnan didn't let me down (he never can after the Matador). A few very funny moments but best described as a story with a romantic / comedy edge.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Dredd (in glorious 2D) - really enjoyed this. Lean, a little bit mean, and entertaining throughout. Relatively low budget was used well, and it probably benefitted from having no overblown set pieces.

8/10

Petition for sequel duly signed. It would be interesting to see a more epic sequel, but given the first bombed at the cinema that won't happen, so it would be impressive if any sort of sequel got greenlit.

Incidentally it was pretty amazing this came out the same time as The Raid: Redemption as both have an almost identical plot. Both really good. Dredd is more polished with better characters, but the martial arts action in Raid was pretty thrilling at times. Two good variations on the same theme.

Looking forward the The Raid sequel. It promises to be more expansive but just as imaginative

Guest C00l K1d

The purge

7/10

I didnt have high hopes for this but it was actually alright. Set in 2022 crime and unemployment is at an all time low but one night a year folk go out and the country is lawless.

Good concept of a story but far to many plotholes/loose ends when you start to think into it

rudi must stay

The Breakfast Club

At times it's quite a frustrating movie, it's very arty and pretentious. But it does definatly pick up and has a number of great scenes, and very interesting conversations. It's hit and miss for me, but acting wise it is absolutely top notch, no doubt all the cast when onto big things, and deservedly so

7/10

Victor Mancini

the worlds end 3/10 great cast(Eddie Marsan, Paddy Consindine, Martin Freeman, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg) but really shit film

this is the end 6/10 funny although it runs about 20-30 mins too long imo, some great cameos early on from Emma Watson and Michael Cera to name a few

Edited by Ruud Gullit