Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Sex Panther
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The amount of putts for birdie that end up bogeys in my rounds are increasing the less I give a **** on the course 🤣

Aye, 3 putts certainly seem to sting that wee bit more. I normally blame the greenkeepers for the lack of consistency on the greens. It has to be their fault, cos it's definitely not mine.🤪

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Sex Panther said:

Aye, 3 putts certainly seem to sting that wee bit more. I normally blame the greenkeepers for the lack of consistency on the greens. It has to be their fault, cos it's definitely not mine.🤪

Try and slam in the birdie and put it 6 foot by and miss it on the way back. 

But i agree, greenkeepers fault 🤣

Edited by hmfc_liam06

If you want to shoot low scores - BE BORING -best advice you will ever get - 

Think about the bunkers - hit short of them on your par 4s - so maybe hit a 4 or 5 iron off the tee

Par 5s - you probably won't get up in 2 - so don't put the bunkers / rough in play - so 500yrs - you can hit 3 irons and get up - 

Par 3s - all the trouble on 90% of par  3s are at the front - be long - if its a 6 iron, hit a 5 or 4.. better to miss long than short, and you probably won't hit it properly anyway so it will be fine! 

Long par 4s?  Don't go for the green in 2 - 2 x short shots with a 80yrd pitch left over is better than being in the rough or in a bunker... You are more likely to get close from 70-80yrds than hitting from deep rough pin high.. 

Me - I ignore all the above.. but when I do course manage, I usually shoot better! 

EG - on Gullane No1 - I might just use driver 2-4 times on the front 9 - and I don't mean take 3 woods, I mean hitting it safe off the tee! 

As much as I'm loving the weather a wee blast of rain is much needed. Not loving the wild hard bounces at the moment nor the lightning greens.

3 putts galore with a couple of 4 putts thrown in. 

:sob:

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 11/06/2023 at 16:01, merrymac said:

HOT NEWS !!

This taken just before ri A snapped his driver shaft

Golf Fail GIF - GOLF FAIL FRZERCRAWFORD - Discover & Share GIFs

Straight as a die. Won’t hurt you.

21 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Short of the ladies tee ( sorry non gender red marker)and we all know what that means😳

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

As much as I'm loving the weather a wee blast of rain is much needed. Not loving the wild hard bounces at the moment nor the lightning greens.

3 putts galore with a couple of 4 putts thrown in. 

:sob:

File 4 putts under the over 80 bowls list . 

you're on a sticky wicket, Ray . 

HeartsandonlyHearts
37 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

14 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Short of the ladies tee ( sorry non gender red marker)and we all know what that means😳

Richard should have practiced more.

Hope he’s a “big” hitter.

8 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Richard should have practiced more.

Hope he’s a “big” hitter.

😂😂

Ricky Fowler after two holes of round 2 US open has holed 18/18 inside 15 feet

quite unbelievable 🤪

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

28 points today. Pretty crap but we go again tomorrow. 

Played Linlithgow open, was like playing a seaside links.

Lost balls at 15 and 16, stopped myself having a good score.

5 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

28 points today. Pretty crap but we go again tomorrow. 

A rather dismal 30 points for me, but the weather was tremendous and so was the beer(s) 

It's a shame this is on the West Coast and so late for us as a result. Looking at the leaderboard it could be a cracking last round. 

19 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It's a shame this is on the West Coast and so late for us as a result. Looking at the leaderboard it could be a cracking last round. 

Why did they tee off so late? Clark was complaining it was twilight golf for the last groups. 

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Why did they tee off so late? Clark was complaining it was twilight golf for the last groups. 

Christ knows. 6.40pm local time I think the last groups were out. That's a good couple of hours or more later than usual. 

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Christ knows. 6.40pm local time I think the last groups were out. That's a good couple of hours or more later than usual. 

Apparently to suit prime time broadcasting on their east coast. Tee times an hour earlier today but still not going to see much of it live.

Rudi Skacel

Went and watched my pal play today in the Gullane championship final. Pretty windy. He lost 4&2 but the guy wasnt making many mistakes and he kept not finding the fairway with his drive. He done ok though, just shows how important it is to hit the fairway. 

hmfc_liam06

Harburn open yesterday and I was abysmal - decent track though.

First round club championships today and a 78 in the books, I'm a golfer again @Irufushi :lol:

Watched a bit of the women's amateur final today, some good golf and another winner Germany, 3rd in recent years.

14 minutes ago, escobri said:

Watched a bit of the women's amateur final today, some good golf and another winner Germany, 3rd in recent years.

Yep 

pancake got flattened 😙

Pasquale for King

Rory seems to think that if he hangs about someone will hand him another major, he definitely needs help on the mental side to win again. 
He did absolutely nothing to put any pressure on Clarke, he’s too nice and needs to find the aggression we see in the Ryder Cup from him. 

Shooter McGavin
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Rory seems to think that if he hangs about someone will hand him another major, he definitely needs help on the mental side to win again. 
He did absolutely nothing to put any pressure on Clarke, he’s too nice and needs to find the aggression we see in the Ryder Cup from him. 

To be fair, even during this 9-year major drought, he's still been winning

regularly, and winning big events too.

There's a lot of tournaments in the golfing calendar, and people judge him entirely on just four of them, which I understand, but feel is pretty harsh.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

To be fair, even during this 9-year major drought, he's still been winning

regularly, and winning big events too.

There's a lot of tournaments in the golfing calendar, and people judge him entirely on just four of them, which I understand, but feel is pretty harsh.

Of course but when you see him win these tournaments he goes for it, makes loads of birdies. The commentators were complementary about his driving, but he either wasnt on the right side to attack the pins or he didn’t want to or just hit average shots. 

He seems to be more conservative at majors now hoping that others will fail, but they won’t unless you put pressure on them. For example yesterday he could’ve slowed everything down so that Clark had to wait on every shot towards the end, or anything else to try and put him off. 
Really frustrating watching him when you could see early doors that he was doing what he did at the Open last year. I was sitting thinking you have to do something but no change, not sure a young caddie is the best for him either. Then afterwards he says Im really close and just need to keep doing this 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤬🤪🤦🏽?!?!

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Of course but when you see him win these tournaments he goes for it, makes loads of birdies. The commentators were complementary about his driving, but he either wasnt on the right side to attack the pins or he didn’t want to or just hit average shots. 

He seems to be more conservative at majors now hoping that others will fail, but they won’t unless you put pressure on them. For example yesterday he could’ve slowed everything down so that Clark had to wait on every shot towards the end, or anything else to try and put him off. 
Really frustrating watching him when you could see early doors that he was doing what he did at the Open last year. I was sitting thinking you have to do something but no change, not sure a young caddie is the best for him either. Then afterwards he says Im really close and just need to keep doing this 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤬🤪🤦🏽?!?!

Yep I think he thought that Clark would drop back and he just needed to play a safe round 

his problem was not so much his putting but his approach shots which were too conservative and he wasn’t giving himself realistic chances for birdies 

tbf to Clark he played superbly and deserved it.

I also have felt for a while he needs a more experienced caddie 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yep I think he thought that Clark would drop back and he just needed to play a safe round 

his problem was not so much his putting but his approach shots which were too conservative and he wasn’t giving himself realistic chances for birdies 

tbf to Clark he played superbly and deserved it.

I also have felt for a while he needs a more experienced caddie 

Clark was excellent and apart from a few wobbly moments coped really well.
I can see where Rory is coming from, trying to eliminate mistakes that have cost him dearly. I can’t remember the last time someone handed a major away, maybe Perriera who threw away the USPGA (must be something to do with the name) that Justin Thomas won last year. 

Tommy Brown

Anyone use the SGU app for entering general play?

I cannot delete or edit a card I created.

It's stopping me from entering another card, Deer Park on Thursday.

Emailed them to get them to remove it.

The one in the image I couldn't get to work on the night and used HDID instead  which works fine  but only on your home course.

Maybe I am wrong and someone can advise.

Screenshot_20230623_100922.jpg

Rudi Skacel

I was able to delete one once. Just swiped on it and gave the option. 

Was putting in a score but didnt give the option to play with a guest as a marker so had to delete it. 

Tommy Brown
35 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

I was able to delete one once. Just swiped on it and gave the option. 

Was putting in a score but didnt give the option to play with a guest as a marker so had to delete it. 

Doh

Cheers Rudi.

Never thought of swiping it:facepalm:

40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

4 hour 40 round at Haddington Open today, shambles 😡

Never mind how long it took, how many shots were taken …

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

NR, just to be safe 

Tommy Brown
11 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Too slow, couldn't get any rhythm, blah blah.

Game of bowls, 1 hour max.

3 hrs 40m more pub time.

Folk who wait for the green to clear on a 320 yard par 4 before hitting their drives and then barely make it past 200 yards. 

disappointed-bunk-moreland.gif

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

3 hrs 40m more pub time.

Tommy warming to my idea 😂😎

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

3 hrs 40m more pub time.

Slow play doesn’t affect my game tbh, other than getting bored/losing interest. 

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Same at Royal Musselburgh on Thursday 20mins late in teeing off and then 41/2 hours in a two ball ☹️. Cost me a prize absolutely knackered in the heat for the last few holes lost concentration and two three putts later was one off the prizes☹️

Tommy Brown
54 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Slow play doesn’t affect my game tbh, other than getting bored/losing interest. 

It is a ridiculous time gor a game of golf.

4 hours seems to be the Norm now, even that should be a bloody maximum.

Played first round of our championship qualifiers a couple of weeks back 4h 15m. All the dicks come out to play.

Taking forever over putts , measuring shots, taking double the time than normal over shots.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Played first round of our championship qualifiers a couple of weeks back 4h 15m. All the dicks come out to play.

Taking forever over putts , measuring shots, taking double the time than normal over shots.

Any fourball taking more than 10 minutes a hole need to pack in the game. 

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I’m glad my place is still around 3-3.5h for a round. 

Rudi Skacel
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

when did you play? We were 3.45 and i was off at 9.30. 

just back from playing blairgowrie. What a course. Loved it. Played the rosemount course off the whites. Hole of the day was the 470 yard par 4 16th. My second shot must have had a look at the hole. Ended up a foot past it for an easy tap in birdie.