Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Sex Panther said:

Exactly where I'm at just now. Can't seem to hit my irons for toffee, doesn't matter which one. 

Think I'll just throw money into buying new ones. That'll sort it, right?🤪

Correct attitude, just make sure the clubs look good.:lol:

most common golf chat.

"bought new set of irons, they look cracking"

"You hitting the better with them?"

"Not yet, having trouble getting used to them"

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon
14 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Has anyone played Broomieknowe recently? Playing the open there on Sunday and never played it before. It seems fairly short but narrow. 

Very average start to the season for me with every medal round 3 over my handicap. 

Also played 36 holes at Pumpherston last Monday and enjoyed it. Played average but making stupid decisions like trying to go for the green on 18 with a hybrid out a fairway bunker needing to carry 190 yards to clear the water doesn’t help. Was trying to beat my mate I was playing against but ended up walking off with a 7 to just break 90 😂

I'm playing it as well, not my favourite track but my mate wanted to play so I said I'd go along. What time you off?

Rudi Skacel

My approaches to greens just now are so so poor. Just 2 greens in reg today, 5 greens in reg last night. 

im driving the ball really well just now but im just woeful after that. So frustrating!

neal-jambos
9 hours ago, Sex Panther said:

Exactly where I'm at just now. Can't seem to hit my irons for toffee, doesn't matter which one. 

Think I'll just throw money into buying new ones. That'll sort it, right?🤪

Exactly 😂 Just treated myself to a new driver since the old one was starting to get a bit all over the place and I needed something new to look at. Since it is fitted that’ll surely fix the two way miss I’ve had with it lately 

neal-jambos
5 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

I'm playing it as well, not my favourite track but my mate wanted to play so I said I'd go along. What time you off?

Just before 3. Only decided to sign up on Monday cos my course has a medal on so fancied somewhere different. What about you? No doubt I’ll end up with the only time the weather gets bad since that seems to be happening to me for medals lately. 

20 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Has anyone played Broomieknowe recently? Playing the open there on Sunday and never played it before. It seems fairly short but narrow. 

Very average start to the season for me with every medal round 3 over my handicap. 

Also played 36 holes at Pumpherston last Monday and enjoyed it. Played average but making stupid decisions like trying to go for the green on 18 with a hybrid out a fairway bunker needing to carry 190 yards to clear the water doesn’t help. Was trying to beat my mate I was playing against but ended up walking off with a 7 to just break 90 😂

Broomy is decent usually in good nick. Need to make a good start with some short par 4,s, then a lot of longer 4's in the middle of the round , and some good chances near the end.need to hit it pretty straight though

enjoy👍

neal-jambos
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Broomy is decent usually in good nick. Need to make a good start with some short par 4,s, then a lot of longer 4's in the middle of the round , and some good chances near the end.need to hit it pretty straight though

enjoy👍

Cheers. It’ll hopefully be my first round with a new driver so hitting it straight the first few holes might be interesting. 
I should just hit irons or a hybrid off the tee first few holes since they are so short but where’s the fun in that. That attitude probably sums up why I play off 12 😂

9 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Cheers. It’ll hopefully be my first round with a new driver so hitting it straight the first few holes might be interesting. 
I should just hit irons or a hybrid off the tee first few holes since they are so short but where’s the fun in that. That attitude probably sums up why I play off 12 😂

😂Could be birdie or bust if you use driver for the first few. You will certainly need it later on, couple of the 4's you need to be able to shape it as well

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

My approaches to greens just now are so so poor. Just 2 greens in reg today, 5 greens in reg last night. 

im driving the ball really well just now but im just woeful after that. So frustrating!

Im the complete opposite, my driver is a state the now. Irons, wedges and putting fairly consistent.

i had my first round match play tie at my club last Friday. playing a boy who had the same playing handicap as me (9), so no shots. dormy after the 15th eventually beat him 2up. it felt like a proper win, not getting any shots and we both had a good battle. compare to last year when I played a boy off 28, i was giving him a shot every hole!! I had to score well under my handicap to have any chance. the new system is ok, but agree with some comments before its way to easy to manipulate the general scoring. Bandits everywhere out there. 

Disser Pointon
On 17/05/2023 at 18:17, neal-jambos said:

Just before 3. Only decided to sign up on Monday cos my course has a medal on so fancied somewhere different. What about you? No doubt I’ll end up with the only time the weather gets bad since that seems to be happening to me for medals lately. 

Something similar to us, we're 14.45. Forecast actually really good for that time for a change!

Edited by Disser Pointon

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Golf gets on my tits. Same course, 11 shots worse than Sunday :yadayada:

colleen-piketh-lawn-bowls.gif

3 hours ago, kila said:

🤣

Was in a similar state playing out the (dried up) burn at Carnoustie once 

My mates Da went to get his ball last, and came out soaking. He walked aff. 😆

Don't understand why the pros are wearing hoodies now.

It's pishing with rain right now and none have their hoods up! So what's the point? Defiance of traditional attire?

2 hours ago, kila said:

Don't understand why the pros are wearing hoodies now.

It's pishing with rain right now and none have their hoods up! So what's the point? Defiance of traditional attire?

Could be the sponsorships dictating what they wear. Some of the colours and cuts that Patrick Cantlay wears are absolute boak...:boak:And while I'm at it, Patrick needs to visit a decent barber, some golfer mind, but needs a wee tidy up...

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Could be the sponsorships dictating what they wear. Some of the colours and cuts that Patrick Cantlay wears are absolute boak...:boak:And while I'm at it, Patrick needs to visit a decent barber, some golfer mind, but needs a wee tidy up...

Cantlay and Kuchar have to be the two worst dressed on any of the tours. 

Played a foursome tie today. Combined handicaps were even so no shots. But my game came back and we won on the 12th. 

Hit the ball great, putted great, partner off 15 made no big errors.  Out opponents didn't really do anything wrong but we just made loads of pars. 

32 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Played a foursome tie today. Combined handicaps were even so no shots. But my game came back and we won on the 12th. 

Hit the ball great, putted great, partner off 15 made no big errors.  Out opponents didn't really do anything wrong but we just made loads of pars. 

Do enjoy team golf and rooting for your playing partner. Played quite a few Silloths and once won at the Braids. Could maybe have more two player team comps at my club, might suggest it unless I've missed them in the calendar.

Started off with birdie yesterday, then slow play(Groups pissing about in front) and the burns destroyed me. I was fecking raging all game. :yadayada:

Aim pointing or whatever they call it, should be banned. (Nothing to do with yesterday) That was just old ***** taking forever. 

Rudi Skacel

Played well today. Just 3 bad shots cost me. A drive into the trees on 9, ended up with double, a duff chip on 11, ended up with bogey and a poor approach shot on 12. Ended up with double. Shot an 82 for a nett 70. First club championship qualifier aswell. 

Back under 90 yesterday after 2 absolute holocaust rounds haunted by the ghost of Anne Franks.

Irufushi would have called the police if he'd witnessed those rounds.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Back under 90 yesterday after 2 absolute holocaust rounds haunted by the ghost of Anne Franks.

Irufushi would have called the police if he'd witnessed those rounds.

Do better, Ray. 

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Do better, Ray. 

A net -1 felt like I was ready for the PGA Tour after the previous shitshows.

Samuel Camazzola

A Koepka-DeChambeau 1-2 would be lovely just to see the seethe from Chamblee and a few others. 

neal-jambos

Had a nightmare 10-14 at Broomieknowe today which cost me. I was fairly solid then played they 4 holes in about 12 over getting stuck behind every tree going. 
The greens were in great condition. 

Had money on Hovland for the PGA since Thursday so hopefully that makes the next hour interesting. 

Luckies1874

Can barely believe what just happened for Block......a hole in one on the Sunday of a major Championships playing with Rory. Insane!

Edited by Luckies1874

3 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Can barely believe what just happened for Block......a hole in one on the Sunday of a major Championships playing with Rory. Insane!

Crazy story for the guy. 

Think he will be quite emotional walking down the 18th

hmfc_liam06
22 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Foursomes tie tonight.

Shoulder back playing up. We're giving up 8 shots.

Cannot wait!

Easy 😎

Reality, almost absolutely chucked it. 3 up going into the 9th, we missed 2 putts to go 4 up. They got it back all square. I drained breaking downhill putts at 15/17/18 to stay in the match. The size of baws on me, honestly! 🤣

I put my mate 100 yards from the green on 18, they put their tee shot behind a tree. All my mate had to do was hit the green...pulled it into a bunker. Down to a playoff.

He topped his tee shot, I then put him to 100 yards short of the green again (par 5). What does he do? Bunker!! Fortunately he managed to drain the putt for the win.

Matchplay eh, got to love it!

Armageddon
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Easy 😎

Reality, almost absolutely chucked it. 3 up going into the 9th, we missed 2 putts to go 4 up. They got it back all square. I drained breaking downhill putts at 15/17/18 to stay in the match. The size of baws on me, honestly! 🤣

I put my mate 100 yards from the green on 18, they put their tee shot behind a tree. All my mate had to do was hit the green...pulled it into a bunker. Down to a playoff.

He topped his tee shot, I then put him to 100 yards short of the green again (par 5). What does he do? Bunker!! Fortunately he managed to drain the putt for the win.

Matchplay eh, got to love it!

Well done, can't beat the roller coaster of a match play!

(If you'd got pumped the above post would have been about the shoulder eh? :)

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Well done, can't beat the roller coaster of a match play!

(If you'd got pumped the above post would have been about the shoulder eh? :)

100%, that's just how it goes.

In fairness, I chucked in a couple horror shots. The left arm is really weak due to the nerve damage, and every now and then it just crumbles on impact producing the most glorious duck hook. It's costing me around 5/6 shots per round. But it is what it is.

Armageddon
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

100%, that's just how it goes.

In fairness, I chucked in a couple horror shots. The left arm is really weak due to the nerve damage, and every now and then it just crumbles on impact producing the most glorious duck hook. It's costing me around 5/6 shots per round. But it is what it is.

Oh jeez, so you're doing well getting out there and putting a round together, just need to ensure there's no fist pumping with the left arm!

hmfc_liam06
17 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Oh jeez, so you're doing well getting out there and putting a round together, just need to ensure there's no fist pumping with the left arm!

I can play, that's about it. Handicap already up 4 shots. But a few months ago I couldn't even move my arm so as you say, getting out playing is a bit of a bonus.

Disser Pointon

You never get every part of your game working at the same time do you, there's always something off!?

I'm hitting the ball as well as I ever have,  and putting decent as well, but my mid range pitching has gone to shit!!! Used to be so reliable but it's something that is borne out of feel and confidence and it's just not there at the moment. So frustrating, I had 70yds for my second to 18 at Broomie open on Sunday and walked off with a double after a chunk followed by a blade!!! 😡🙈

The wrist hinge.

How do you do it? Start early or wait until near the top? Closed club face, neutral or open?

I've mucked around plenty over the years but tend to prefer a closed club face. Do get good distance and height but don't have enough 'lag' in my on the downswing making my swing a bit inconsistent.

What's the secret to lots of lag?

Picked up a set of old second hand irons. Cobra Greg Norman blades. The heads are tiny. They need new grips, but hopefully do the job. If I can hit them🤣

45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Picked up a set of old second hand irons. Cobra Greg Norman blades. The heads are tiny. They need new grips, but hopefully do the job. If I can hit them🤣

If old, the shafts will have deteriorated and probably won't match. Invest in a new set you can hit properly... 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Hacker and a set of blades! What could possibly go wrong! 😃

1st time in 16 years, course closed in May due to flooding in Costa Calida...feckin long day...☹️

Edited by OBE

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Hacker and a set of blades! What could possibly go wrong! 😃

😄