Jump to content

Official Golf geeks gibber thread


Victorian

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't mind . It's folk that do the shit on the green, with their feet(Arrow point isit?)for about 5 minutes,  that annoy me. Just read the green by eye and hurry up. :yadayada:

 

Worst one for the greens I see is folk who mark their ball and then walk miles away to give their playing partner(s) a clear vicinity for their putt.

 

The general faffing around of marking balls is excessive too, just mark it if it is in the way or has mud on it, otherwise get on with it. Don't even need to putt or play in order anymore (unless match play), so if your partner is taking ages to read their putt and picking their arse, you go first if you're all ready. Or if your ball stopped 2 feet short, ****ing finish the hole off unless you really are standing in someone's line.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • hmfc_liam06

    2236

  • Samuel Camazzola

    1354

  • Irufushi

    991

  • Victorian

    892

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don't mind . It's folk that do the shit on the green, with their feet(Arrow point isit?)for about 5 minutes,  that annoy me. Just read the green by eye and hurry up. :yadayada:

 

Aim point is the biggest sham in golf IMO.  And what makes it worse, you have these golf schools showing the kids so the narcissistic parents think they've been getting taught stuff.  How on earth can it capture wind, breaks at different points, up and down hill slopes, pace and then ball type, putter type, different strokes..... but if Rory holds up 3 fingers then all that same process applies to me holding up 3 fingers, utter pile of shite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

 

Aim point is the biggest sham in golf IMO.  And what makes it worse, you have these golf schools showing the kids so the narcissistic parents think they've been getting taught stuff.  How on earth can it capture wind, breaks at different points, up and down hill slopes, pace and then ball type, putter type, different strokes..... but if Rory holds up 3 fingers then all that same process applies to me holding up 3 fingers, utter pile of shite.

:spoton: 

 

 

It's causing 4.5/5 hour rounds anaw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

:spoton: 

 

 

It's causing 4.5/5 hour rounds anaw.

In addition to the 20+ handicap choppers. 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Is it me or is there so much more shouting from the fans at the Open??

 

There certainly appears to be a fair amount of wallopers this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, William H. Bonney said:

 

There certainly appears to be a fair amount of wallopers this year. 

I did like

flintstones GIF

Much better than mashed potato and in the hole 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not seen much of the LIV players . Are they been given little acknowledgement. The odd defending champion's shot. 

 

 

You'd think Rory was the only player out there sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tommy Brown

Epic bottle crash yesterday at Bathgate Open.

Had a 6 foot birdie putt to go to +1 on 11th Green. Got par. Playing off 13.

Knocked my next drive OB and triple bogeyed. Hacked around 50yds at 14th for a Quadruple. Doubled the last for good measure.

+13 for last 7 :sob:

Edited by Tommy Brown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Epic bottle crash yesterday at Bathgate Open.

Had a 6 foot birdie putt to go to +1 on 11th Green. Got par. Playing off 13.

Knocked my next drive OB and triple bogeyed. Hacked around 50yds at 14th for a Quadruple. Doubled the last for good measure.

+13 for last 7 :sob:

Hard to bear mate but you have to look at the positives you must have played out of your skin for 11 holes

next time you will have been there before and not make the same mistakes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tommy Brown
31 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hard to bear mate but you have to look at the positives you must have played out of your skin for 11 holes

next time you will have been there before and not make the same mistakes 

OB was irritating.

The 8 was pathetic. Really short game is dire. Is was driving good and putting my irons on the green.

When I miss the green, I have no feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

OB was irritating.

The 8 was pathetic. Really short game is dire. Is was driving good and putting my irons on the green.

When I miss the green, I have no feel.

You need to change something then 

buy a chipper ? Go left below right on chip shots, change the club you use ,grip down the shaft 

just try something so as you are not repeating the same issue 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who haven’t tried it.

 

UV torch bought off Amazon = glow in the dark golf balls.

 

You will never have to pay for a golf ball ever again.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06

Had a trial of the Callaway Paradym driver at the weekend and the difference to my Sim 2 was night and day!

 

Seriously tempted but I've ordered the same shaft it had in it and going to try it on the Sim before I cave and buy the Paradym. Look out for the "**** it, bought the Paradym" post by the weekend :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had a trial of the Callaway Paradym driver at the weekend and the difference to my Sim 2 was night and day!

 

Seriously tempted but I've ordered the same shaft it had in it and going to try it on the Sim before I cave and buy the Paradym. Look out for the "**** it, bought the Paradym" post by the weekend :lol:

600 quid😳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06
45 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

600 quid😳

 

It's an ex-demo down to £380 and pro giving me it for £200 minus my Sim 2.

 

£60 for the shaft on ebay though so worth a go first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

It's an ex-demo down to £380 and pro giving me it for £200 minus my Sim 2.

 

£60 for the shaft on ebay though so worth a go first.

I had no idea they cost that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had a trial of the Callaway Paradym driver at the weekend and the difference to my Sim 2 was night and day!

 

Seriously tempted but I've ordered the same shaft it had in it and going to try it on the Sim before I cave and buy the Paradym. Look out for the "**** it, bought the Paradym" post by the weekend :lol:


Tried the new Ping G430 on the trackman whilst being h fitted for new irons. My current G400 with old tech shaft out performed it on every single parameter. 
 

Pro at Dumfries very honestly told me I’d be wasting my money upgrading. Saved myself £500 as I was seriously considering upgrading. 
 

Just shows that what works shouldn’t be messed with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I had no idea they cost that.

 

You're not getting much driver for under £500 nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Vlad Magic said:


Tried the new Ping G430 on the trackman whilst being h fitted for new irons. My current G400 with old tech shaft out performed it on every single parameter. 
 

Pro at Dumfries very honestly told me I’d be wasting my money upgrading. Saved myself £500 as I was seriously considering upgrading. 
 

Just shows that what works shouldn’t be messed with.

 

Similar happened to my father in law, went for a fitting for a new driver and nothing come close to his existing driver, he was raging :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

You're not getting much driver for under £500 nowadays.

I'm not a golfer but I thought a couple of hundred quid would be near the mark🤦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:


Tried the new Ping G430 on the trackman whilst being h fitted for new irons. My current G400 with old tech shaft out performed it on every single parameter. 
 

Pro at Dumfries very honestly told me I’d be wasting my money upgrading. Saved myself £500 as I was seriously considering upgrading. 
 

Just shows that what works shouldn’t be messed with.

 

Worth noting, this would be worth the upgrade as I know the shaft in my Sim 2 is all wrong for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not a golfer but I thought a couple of hundred quid would be near the mark🤦

 

You're not getting much change off £3k for an entire new set up if you went for Titleist, Callaway etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not a golfer but I thought a couple of hundred quid would be near the mark🤦

 

Depends how good you are/want to be really. You could quite easily play out your days a 10-15 handicap (and probably lower, a pro would probably still go under par with my set of clubs) with the whole set costing you <£500 new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not a golfer but I thought a couple of hundred quid would be near the mark🤦

 

Depends how good you are/want to be really. You could quite easily play out your days a 10-15 handicap (and probably lower, a pro would probably still go under par with my set of clubs) with the whole set costing you <£500 new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

You're not getting much change off £3k for an entire new set up if you went for Titleist, Callaway etc

PXG offer a fitting service based at the Dukes. A lot of their equipment is at the high end of the cost scale but their 0211 range is in the affordable bracket. 

 

Quite a few impartial testers/reviews have been speaking very highly about the clubs on offer and when the data is stacked up against the obvious market leaders, it's right up there. 

 

They comment that the adjustability features may be more limited compared to what other models offer but for the majority of amateur golfers, this shouldn't have much of a difference and may even be more beneficial to the player. 

 

Certainly worth a look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2023 at 23:39, Samuel Camazzola said:

PXG offer a fitting service based at the Dukes. A lot of their equipment is at the high end of the cost scale but their 0211 range is in the affordable bracket. 

 

Quite a few impartial testers/reviews have been speaking very highly about the clubs on offer and when the data is stacked up against the obvious market leaders, it's right up there. 

 

They comment that the adjustability features may be more limited compared to what other models offer but for the majority of amateur golfers, this shouldn't have much of a difference and may even be more beneficial to the player. 

 

Certainly worth a look. 

Bought the full set of 0211,s apart from driver already had a Gen 4

absolutely love them beautifully designed and very good performers 

there is also a fitting centre at Kingsacre 

well worth a try 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sex Panther
9 hours ago, merrymac said:

Bought the full set of 0211,s apart from driver already had a Gen 4

absolutely love them beautifully designed and very good performers 

there is also a fitting centre at Kingsacre 

well worth a try 

 

Willing to share how much that set you back, merrymac? Asking for a friend... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sex Panther said:

 

Willing to share how much that set you back, merrymac? Asking for a friend... :)

no problem for your friend 😃

3 and 5 wood £360

4 - 56 degrees - 9 clubs - £900 basic and I paid an extra £20 per club for upgraded graphite shafts

the fitter at kingsacre is brilliant and I really love the look

If your friend needs any more info just ask

nb the prices do change about a bit so it’s worth watching for an offer

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played Golf Costa Adeje the other day... Safe to say the greens are quicker than grangemouth.

 

Hit most fairways though so pretty chuffed...all be it after a nervy top at tee 1 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sex Panther
On 28/07/2023 at 09:17, merrymac said:

no problem for your friend 😃

3 and 5 wood £360

4 - 56 degrees - 9 clubs - £900 basic and I paid an extra £20 per club for upgraded graphite shafts

the fitter at kingsacre is brilliant and I really love the look

If your friend needs any more info just ask

nb the prices do change about a bit so it’s worth watching for an offer

 

 

 Cheers merrymac, I'll pass that info on !! 😜 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Samuel Camazzola
On 27/07/2023 at 23:38, merrymac said:

Bought the full set of 0211,s apart from driver already had a Gen 4

absolutely love them beautifully designed and very good performers 

there is also a fitting centre at Kingsacre 

well worth a try 

Good to hear. 

 

Did you pay for a fitting but get it waived once you placed an order? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good to hear. 

 

Did you pay for a fitting but get it waived once you placed an order? 

They were doing a free promotion at the time, still are as far as I know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sex Panther said:

 

 Cheers merrymac, I'll pass that info on !! 😜 

Let me know if your friend :rolleyes: gets a shiny new set 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Samuel Camazzola
14 minutes ago, merrymac said:

They were doing a free promotion at the time, still are as far as I know

👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anybody else tried the simulator set up at Edinburgh Academy’s golf centre?

 

I gave it a go in the summer. They’ve obviously invested heavily in the kit and it looks amazing. However we struggled to get any accuracy in the data being fed back.

 

For example I’m 280 off the tee with another 10-15 yards of run off. I was nailing my driver on the simulator and it was giving me 240 max.

 

Great to choose any course you like from the pre installed options. 
 

Decent value as well. Think we paid £20 each for an hour? 
 

Great but not perfect.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Anybody else tried the simulator set up at Edinburgh Academy’s golf centre?

 

I gave it a go in the summer. They’ve obviously invested heavily in the kit and it looks amazing. However we struggled to get any accuracy in the data being fed back.

 

For example I’m 280 off the tee with another 10-15 yards of run off. I was nailing my driver on the simulator and it was giving me 240 max.

 

Great to choose any course you like from the pre installed options. 
 

Decent value as well. Think we paid £20 each for an hour? 
 

Great but not perfect.

 

 

 

I've used a trackman sim setup a couple of times. It seems very inconsistent with hybrids and woods distances in particular.

 

There were some 3-hybrids that I hit that I know I absolutely flushed right off the centre of the face but for some reason the sim was telling me it scooped it 140 yards off the top of the club. Nae chance. I use tracking app when I'm playing a round and solid hits would have been 210ish. 

 

Likewise drives. A good hit is going 250+ for me on the course. A sloppy hit will still go 220ish. There were some on the sim barely breaking 200 and I think my best was about 240. My mates were having a similar experience.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

 

I've used a trackman sim setup a couple of times. It seems very inconsistent with hybrids and woods distances in particular.

 

There were some 3-hybrids that I hit that I know I absolutely flushed right off the centre of the face but for some reason the sim was telling me it scooped it 140 yards off the top of the club. Nae chance. I use tracking app when I'm playing a round and solid hits would have been 210ish. 

 

Likewise drives. A good hit is going 250+ for me on the course. A sloppy hit will still go 220ish. There were some on the sim barely breaking 200 and I think my best was about 240. My mates were having a similar experience.

 


As far as I am aware the system at Edinburgh Academy isn’t trackman? I’ve used trackman when fitted for my new irons and it’s very clever and accurate. The system at EA is more? Leisure based? 
 

Trackman is (I assume) data based and accurate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:


As far as I am aware the system at Edinburgh Academy isn’t trackman? I’ve used trackman when fitted for my new irons and it’s very clever and accurate. The system at EA is more? Leisure based? 
 

Trackman is (I assume) data based and accurate. 

 

It was the studio at Baberton we were using. Maybe some teething problems with the setup as it was brand new.

 

The monitor was displaying some bizarre club angles that seemed physically impossible. Yet it was fine for irons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess The Crowd

Worthy of mention, I’d suggest.

 

Magnificent scoring. Not only from Royal Burgess, but more importantly, clearly named after two members of the 1998 cup-winning team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Worthy of mention, I’d suggest.

 

Magnificent scoring. Not only from Royal Burgess, but more importantly, clearly named after two members of the 1998 cup-winning team. 

 

And Cameron is a MASSIVE Hibs fan!  Amazing performances, and amazing lad and an amazing family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

 

And Cameron is a MASSIVE Hibs fan!  Amazing performances, and amazing lad and an amazing family.

 

Shame for the one massive, lets him down against the three amazings...☹️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, OBE said:

 

Shame for the one massive, lets him down against the three amazings...☹️ 

 

Hahaha :)  I wanted to comment on his scorecard from yesterday, 5 maroon dots and one green eagle dot - Never forget Cammy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess The Crowd
9 hours ago, Armageddon said:

 

And Cameron is a MASSIVE Hibs fan!  Amazing performances, and amazing lad and an amazing family.


Fair enough - you’d like to think he’s taken some serious stick for his name!
 

I know both courses very well, and that’s sensational scoring. He’s now won both matches today, so is through to the last 16. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:


Fair enough - you’d like to think he’s taken some serious stick for his name!
 

I know both courses very well, and that’s sensational scoring. He’s now won both matches today, so is through to the last 16. 


I’ve known him and his dad for years, and never noticed the 98 connection until I read it here 🤦🏻‍♂️

 

Totally cheering for him, he’s also absolutely nailing his College Golf, same one Luke Donald was at, the coach was his coach for 20 years and helped get him to world number 1 and his first 4 Ryder Cups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sex Panther
9 hours ago, Armageddon said:


I’ve known him and his dad for years, and never noticed the 98 connection until I read it here 🤦🏻‍♂️

 

Totally cheering for him, he’s also absolutely nailing his College Golf, same one Luke Donald was at, the coach was his coach for 20 years and helped get him to world number 1 and his first 4 Ryder Cups.

 

Weird coincidence that. Think I seen that coach get interviewed on one of Sky's Road to the Ryder Cup programmes a couple of days ago. Had never seen him before and he certainly doesn't seem to have as big a profile as say, the Harmons for example - possibly his own choice tbf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...