Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

20 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From recent venues, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane and Castle Stuart are better. It doesn't have the surrounding infrastructure but although it's only three years old, Dumbarnie is a better course. I'd expect these guys to shred it though. 

Aberdeen and Inverness won't be able to compete with the East Lothian attendances, it could be here for a wee while. Underwhelming, is harsh. We found a great spot for viewing at the left hand side of the 11th, it's elevated and could see tee shots at the 12th, tee shots arriving at 14th and putting out on 16th. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 13/07/2023 at 09:23, hmfc_liam06 said:

@R9. if you stay in my neck of the woods, give me a shout for a round 👍

I stay In Halbeath Dunfermline - only lived this side of the bridge for a couple of years.  Looking to play as well.  So shout me up as well

Fair weather players, these professionals.  You'd think they'd never seen wind before.  😀 

hmfc_liam06
52 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I stay In Halbeath Dunfermline - only lived this side of the bridge for a couple of years.  Looking to play as well.  So shout me up as well

Get a wee Fife fourball on the go.

Samuel Camazzola
56 minutes ago, OBE said:

Aberdeen and Inverness won't be able to compete with the East Lothian attendances, it could be here for a wee while. Underwhelming, is harsh. We found a great spot for viewing at the left hand side of the 11th, it's elevated and could see tee shots at the 12th, tee shots arriving at 14th and putting out on 16th. 

I agree on the attendance point and don't doubt there will be great viewing points. 

It's not a 'true links' test for these guys but with the big backing, being a Rolex Series event, being part of the PGA Tour schedule and it's timing, it's going to attract a strong field wherever it's played. 

hmfc_liam06
11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I agree on the attendance point and don't doubt there will be great viewing points. 

It's not a 'true links' test for these guys but with the big backing, being a Rolex Series event, being part of the PGA Tour schedule and it's timing, it's going to attract a strong field wherever it's played. 

Is it any less a “true links test” than Dunbarnie or Castle Stuart? Having played both it doesn’t look much different to either of them.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Is it any less a “true links test” than Dunbarnie or Castle Stuart? Having played both it doesn’t look much different to either of them.

Unless Dumbarnie is tricked up somehow, it's too generous for this level of player not to score really low on it. 

Those two are better courses but all three have the look of what an American envisages links to be. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Unless Dumbarnie is tricked up somehow, it's too generous for this level of player not to score really low on it. 

Those two are better courses but all three have the look of what an American envisages links to be. 

The issue we’ve got here is we have very little courses that are capable of hosting top level tournaments. No space for stands etc.

And in reality, the Scottish Open hasn’t really ever been a “links” tournament.

This set up of play should be the new normal.  Golf starting and finishing early.

👍 fae me.

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The issue we’ve got here is we have very little courses that are capable of hosting top level tournaments. No space for stands etc.

It should be played around on all the big name courses. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I recall it at Carnoustie prior to it moving to Loch Lomond. Players were opting to play practice rounds at the Open venue instead to taking part due to the course type. 

Carnoustie had been making noises about coming off the Open rota due to the difficulties the have been encountering with the scale of the Open getting bigger each year. 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

I recall it at Carnoustie prior to it moving to Loch Lomond. Players were opting to play practice rounds at the Open venue instead to taking part due to the course type. 

Carnoustie had been making noises about coming off the Open rota due to the difficulties the have been encountering with the scale of the Open getting bigger each year. 

It’s only ever been played 7 times on a links course. Carnoustie twice.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's been away from Loch Lomond for a while. I was at Loch Lomond in 2001 and then Castle Stuart in 2011 (when it was reduced to three rounds to due part of the course getting washed away due to the cloudburst). 

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is this over 5 hrs a round?

8:57  I think they teed off at - so 5 hours 20 ... Crazy

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You could argue the first 33 years of the Open Championship was/were the Scottish Open.

1 minute ago, Bigsmak said:

8:57  I think they teed off at - so 5 hours 20 ... Crazy

Nightmare. But they're young and fit.

Luckies1874

Unbelievable birdie birdie finish in these conditions. Feel like he's going to go close next week as well. 

Was hoping for a playoff, gutted for Bob especially after that bit of magic on 18. McIlroy winning in Scotland for the first time. 

John Findlay

Was lucky to follow McIllroy round on Thursday round 1. He is a phenomenal golfer.  We'll done Rory.

Robert McIntyre, your time will come.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was lucky to follow McIllroy round on Thursday round 1. He is a phenomenal golfer.  We'll done Rory.

Robert McIntyre, your time will come.

Hear hear

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

You could argue the first 33 years of the Open Championship was/were the Scottish Open.

You could, but it wasn't.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You could, but it wasn't.

All in Scotland for the first 33 years. That's the Scottish Open.  This one is 51 years old and is overlooked because of the Open and its mainly Scottish feel.

Edited by ri Alban

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

All in Scotland for the first 33 years. That's the Scottish Open.  This one is 51 years old and is overlooked because of the Open and its mainly Scottish feel.

Irrelevant. The Open Championship never has been the Scottish Open and has never been considered as the Scottish Open.

And the Scottish Open historically is not a links competition.

The status of the Scottish Open has gone through the roof in recent years, with Rory winning and a guaranteed return next year cements that, plus if he wins the Open then Scotland will become the '5th major' IMO.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

The status of the Scottish Open has gone through the roof in recent years, with Rory winning and a guaranteed return next year cements that, plus if he wins the Open then Scotland will become the '5th major' IMO.

As well as a Rolex Series event, it's now part of the PGA Tour. A lot of points up for grabs as well as the increased purse. 👍 

On 08/07/2023 at 20:40, Statts1976uk said:

New playing partner today on the Saturday Medal, very good golfer but using a rangefinder, garmin watch then his phone to triple check distances at every hole was a bit much.

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:laugh:

I use my phone's GPS with the 'Golfshot GPS' app. As I'm walking up to my ball, I have my phone out ready and start getting an idea of what club/shot I'm going to hit. Then when I get to the ball, the GPS yardage confirms exactly what it is and I get the club out I already have a feeling is right and go for it. All within 15-20 secs of arriving at the ball.

Those who stand by their ball for a minute or so, fanning around and checking with range finders do my nut in. Especially when they move back off the ball after addressing it and start flinging grass in the air because they're unsure.

27 minutes ago, kila said:

:laugh:

I use my phone's GPS with the 'Golfshot GPS' app. As I'm walking up to my ball, I have my phone out ready and start getting an idea of what club/shot I'm going to hit. Then when I get to the ball, the GPS yardage confirms exactly what it is and I get the club out I already have a feeling is right and go for it. All within 15-20 secs of arriving at the ball.

Those who stand by their ball for a minute or so, fanning around and checking with range finders do my nut in. Especially when they move back off the ball after addressing it and start flinging grass in the air because they're unsure.

I don't mind . It's folk that do the shit on the green, with their feet(Arrow point isit?)for about 5 minutes,  that annoy me. Just read the green by eye and hurry up. :yadayada: