Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Pasquale for King
On 04/04/2023 at 09:59, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah went from freezing to wet. Apparently the course has actually been relatively dry all winter until March there. March really is a make or break month for courses. A bad March can set a parkland back so much.

Definitely been a dry winter. Even the football pitches have looked dry, ER for example is still a mess 😆
Never been a winter golfer since my old man made me play when the weather was so bad the courses were closed 🥶 “ you need to learn to play in bad conditions in this country” 🤣

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely been a dry winter. Even the football pitches have looked dry, ER for example is still a mess 😆
Never been a winter golfer since my old man made me play when the weather was so bad the courses were closed 🥶 “ you need to learn to play in bad conditions in this country” 🤣

Having not played all winter for the first time there, I definitely didn't miss :lol:

hmfc_liam06
50 minutes ago, R9. said:

This post may be a bit long but has anyone fell out of love with golf ? 

I feel like I’m going through it now, I haven’t hit a golf ball since the end of September last year. I normally don’t play over the winter months and it’s around march time I get back into it but I haven’t been to the range or even a round so far in 23. I was due to play at the beginning of march and pulled out, I was also had plans to play this week never booked anything but made an excuse the weather never looked good and dropped out. 

Even the thoughts of getting my bag ready going to the course and starting a round gives me no excitement no more I’m 31 and been playing for 15 years and this is the worst I’ve felt about golf. Even before this last year I played the least amount of golf ever about 10 rounds in 22.

Im even considering not playing at all this year just taking a full year out then see how I feel this time next year. I had a new born last April and now work longer shifts during the week so can’t really play mid week evenings so it’s the weekend and the thought of playing a Saturday or Sunday too busy courses clashes with time I could spend with family or go to the football doesn’t interest me either. 

Pro golfers end up falling of the face of the earth for a bit then appear. I spoke to a guy at work who took 8 years off from golf due to injury but he’s back playing twice a week now.

I was kinda feeling the same.

I got injured last May which put me out for the season. I managed to return for a round in October and it didn't excite me at all (shoulder still wasn't right though). I never picked up a club until last week and all that time I honestly didn't miss it and definitely wondered if the bug had gone.

But I'm back on the wagon now, back to playing twice a week. What I will say is the drive to be low has gone, I teed it up at the medal last Sunday with little interest in winning, getting cut etc. And I don't mind that. It was a fun round with a couple guys from the club. I think we can all get caught up in the handicap race and honestly, I think it can take the fun out of the game.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was kinda feeling the same.

I got injured last May which put me out for the season. I managed to return for a round in October and it didn't excite me at all (shoulder still wasn't right though). I never picked up a club until last week and all that time I honestly didn't miss it and definitely wondered if the bug had gone.

But I'm back on the wagon now, back to playing twice a week. What I will say is the drive to be low has gone, I teed it up at the medal last Sunday with little interest in winning, getting cut etc. And I don't mind that. It was a fun round with a couple guys from the club. I think we can all get caught up in the handicap race and honestly, I think it can take the fun out of the game.

Definitely, forgot how much I loved the game. 

Pasquale for King

Any streams for the Masters didn’t realise the BBC had no tv coverage and golf on the radio 🤦🏽.

Samuel Camazzola
56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Any streams for the Masters didn’t realise the BBC had no tv coverage and golf on the radio 🤦🏽.

The Masters app is one of the best in the business. 👍👌🏼

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Masters app is one of the best in the business. 👍👌🏼

Cheers will check that out. 

Pasquale for King

You know when you psyche yourself up for a competition or just a normal Saturday medal, maybe with guys you don’t know that well, and you start so badly that by the turn you've relaxed as you’re not playing to your handicap? You then start playing better with a bit of freedom but you've just done enough damage that you can’t repair?

Feels like Rory does that at the Masters. 

Played Pumpherston this morning,10.00 tee off,glorious weather,never wore a hat and now my baldy napper and face is sunburnt.

Edited by weegranty

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cheers will check that out. 

FYI, Sky mentioned that they are broadcasting footage on their YouTube channel. 👍 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

FYI, Sky mentioned that they are broadcasting footage on their YouTube channel. 👍 

Thanks again 👍🏽

Pasquale for King

The majors are going to be the only tume the best players face each other, looking for to the US Open now. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The majors are going to be the only tume the best players face each other, looking for to the US Open now. 

Yes. However, unless there are any changes, there will be a reliance on exemptions from being a past major champion or OWGR points gained in the majors to get the LIV Tour guys in. 

On 06/04/2023 at 17:48, R9. said:

It’s hard mate I used to love it was out 3 times a week at points but just have no motivation or desire to go back out

Do you have regular mates you play with? I've only been playing a year but I'd probably say about 60-70% of the enjoyment I take from the game is just being out having a laugh for 4 hours with friends.

Hopefully the enjoyment comes back soon, sure it will 👍.

Rudi Skacel

Second lowest ever score yesterday. 

played at Haddington. 

9 bogeys

4 pars

5 birdies

including three 2’s at the par 3’s!

returns a 75. 

Samuel Camazzola

Some LIV players could feature at the Fairmont as the Asian Tour is bringing an event to the Torrance course in August. 

They also have a tour event scheduled for Close House. 

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Some LIV players could feature at the Fairmont as the Asian Tour is bringing an event to the Torrance course in August. 

They also have a tour event scheduled for Close House. 

Who's all going...to watch 🤞

Edited by OBE

ScottieMac17

Looking to get into golf more seriously, but i'm unsure what kind of clubs would be best and if/how many golf lessons would be a good idea?

Iv had a couple of games a year for the last while and use my dads old set of clubs (that he 'hated and couldn't play well with'), but now that i'm a little older and football isn't totally feasible anymore. i'm looking for a new serious hobby to get into.

I'd be grateful to get any advise. Thanks.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Looking to get into golf more seriously, but i'm unsure what kind of clubs would be best and if/how many golf lessons would be a good idea?

Iv had a couple of games a year for the last while and use my dads old set of clubs (that he 'hated and couldn't play well with'), but now that i'm a little older and football isn't totally feasible anymore. i'm looking for a new serious hobby to get into.

Regarding clubs, speak to a pro. You'll get something that's suited to ability and desired budget. 

A pro will also be able to set you off with the basics to work on where you should be able to gauge what degree of further lessons are required to progress. 

For your own practice, ALWAYS focus on the short game. Short game is king to any good scoring. It's better to invest in good wedges and a putter that work for you than a driver that's £350+. 👍  

8 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Get fitted for a driver, confidence starts with less dropped shots from the tee, nae guid hacking out the cabbage or trees if suffering slice or hook, if that happens your playing catch up on the par already. When fitted for said driver, note the shaft make, flex and kick point. You'll pay for the fitting, but walk away with no purchase. Go second hand hunting for the fitted driver. If you fade the driver, you'll probably fade all the long irons/hybrids. When choosing the wedge's, make sure they have 4 deg's between each one. I agree with Sam, a good short game is a cool tool, pros don't hit greens in regulation. The best journey on any par 5,/4 or 3 starts with finding the cut n prepared...

22 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Pick up new irons today.

Very excited!!

What are you getting? I like picking up new clubs every once in a while.

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

What are you getting? I like picking up new clubs every once in a while.

Ping I 525’s 4 through to pitching wedge 👍

Very happy with them.

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Ping I 525’s 4 through to pitching wedge 👍

Very happy with them.

I’ve got the i500s and pleased with them. Recently followed McIlroy and went back to a bladed putter after using the spider X for a few years and what a difference it has made. 

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

I’ve got the i500s and pleased with them. Recently followed McIlroy and went back to a bladed putter after using the spider X for a few years and what a difference it has made. 

Putting is my weakest part of my game. Currently on a Ping Hepler Tom Cat but considering going back to my very old Anser 2.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Putting is my weakest part of my game. Currently on a Ping Hepler Tom Cat but considering going back to my very old Anser 2.

Do it! Get a new funky grip on the Anser, I did on my old Anser 4, such an iconic design and simple heel toe weighting, putts per round have tumbled. 

Samuel Camazzola
On 13/04/2023 at 18:54, OBE said:

Get fitted for a driver, confidence starts with less dropped shots from the tee, nae guid hacking out the cabbage or trees if suffering slice or hook, if that happens your playing catch up on the par already. When fitted for said driver, note the shaft make, flex and kick point. You'll pay for the fitting, but walk away with no purchase. Go second hand hunting for the fitted driver. If you fade the driver, you'll probably fade all the long irons/hybrids. When choosing the wedge's, make sure they have 4 deg's between each one. I agree with Sam, a good short game is a cool tool, pros don't hit greens in regulation. The best journey on any par 5,/4 or 3 starts with finding the cut n prepared...

Fitting is always highly recommended but the need for a driver is debatable depending on the player's ability. If they are a novice, the driver could be forgotten for the time being. A 3 wood from the tee will be better to get use to, to start with. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fitting is always highly recommended but the need for a driver is debatable depending on the player's ability. If they are a novice, the driver could be forgotten for the time being. A 3 wood from the tee will be better to get use to, to start with. 

New drivers, combined with the shaft technology options available today, have made them just as forgiving as 3 woods, imo!

Edited by OBE

On 12/04/2023 at 15:24, Rudi Skacel said:

Second lowest ever score yesterday. 

played at Haddington. 

9 bogeys

4 pars

5 birdies

including three 2’s at the par 3’s!

returns a 75. 

Nice one 👏

On 13/04/2023 at 10:32, ScottieMac17 said:

Might be worth doing a lessons package before getting fitted for clubs. Your swing will probably change quite a bit after the lessons.

41 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Wierdly enough I cant hit a 3 wood. I ditched mine. I go from Driver to 3 hybrid. 

A club I have trouble with most too. Happy with a driver and 2 iron, but 3 wood I just can't get a good feel with and usually end up with a daisy cutter or low hook. I don't know why I bother even having it in my bag these days, I never intend to use it and would rather blast an iron.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Wierdly enough I cant hit a 3 wood. I ditched mine. I go from Driver to 3 hybrid. 

Im the same. Can’t hit a 3 wood off the deck and ropey as hell off the tee with one.

Tommy Brown

Thank feck I am the not the only struggling with 3W.

My dendency is hit it into the ground.

I tend to go to 2h and 3h instead.

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

That’s my exact shot with a 3W off the deck too. Into the ground and ends up in a horrible low slice.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Move the ball forward in your stance, Tommy. Hit the ball slightly on the upswing and stand a wee bit taller...Practice this away from the course though...💡

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I used to hit a mean 3W, then I bought an F9. Jesus 😭 But when I do hit it. 👊

28 minutes ago, OBE said:

Move the ball forward in your stance, Tommy. Hit the ball slightly on the upswing and stand a wee bit taller...Practice this away from the course though...💡

Probably better he moves the grip closer to his front hip. No idea if he's left or right handed. And hit slightly down on the ball. 

Just a difference in opinion, nae big deal. 👍

My mate sent me this winning score from his club in Edinburgh, some guy has a scratch 86 off a 43 handicap.  His last score he was 60 for 9 holes then NR'd.

image.png.5f44d882493e634864de1a598604fbdb.png

image.thumb.png.41be08718d2660b5f40486ce40ff57bc.png

8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Superb from Fitzpatrick. 👏 

Aye that's superb, I really like him and his family seem totally normal.... but then you hear the family have holidayed there ever year for 20 years!  It's another world.

Haven’t had a 3 wood in years either, hate them . All in my head but I go from driver to a 3 driving iron nowadays.

Edited by Irufushi

Samuel Camazzola
31 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Haven’t had a 3 wood in years either, hate them . All in my head but I go from driver to a 3 driving iron nowadays.

I have a 2 iron which goes a similar distance as a 3 wood. 2 iron is good for penetrating rockets into the wind. My 3 wood is good for higher flight draws and fades with little roll out. 

Ages ago I'd been told The Renaissance Club was shortlisted to host the 2031 Ryder Cup, there's now a planning application in for 6 cottages (Cottages = those massive houses they have down there) plus more interestingly a wooded section to be removed to make way for a massive hard standing area to house a media centre.

Anyone who has been at the Scottish Open knows there's zero need for a media centre on the scale they are showing on the planning application... watch this space.

Edited by Armageddon

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

My mate sent me this winning score from his club in Edinburgh, some guy has a scratch 86 off a 43 handicap.  His last score he was 60 for 9 holes then NR'd.

image.png.5f44d882493e634864de1a598604fbdb.png

image.thumb.png.41be08718d2660b5f40486ce40ff57bc.png

Based on the scorecard, trying to work out the course. West Linton? 

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez
44 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Based on the scorecard, trying to work out the course. West Linton? 

I think it’s my club and it’s a junior comp.

Going to assume he’s just joined and they’ve messed up putting his initial cards in for handicap.