Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Tommy Brown
33 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm no real estate expert but with land often sought after, I'd have thought that that amount of ground would have a far higher price. 

The land has shale mining history.

Two years ago a shaft collapsed about 10 yards off the 2nd fairway.

There are a few fenced off areas that were susceptible to subsidence.

Any new owner has to undertake to repair these. No repair was done at the last one, just fenced off. My thinking, this has pushed on the sale.

BP (Scottish Oils) closed their detergent factory, one of the cheapest way to clean up the land was to create a golf course, extending us from 9 to 18 holes.

All confusing, we have a 99 year lease at a peppercorn £100 Per year.

Can a new owner make money ?

Can the lease be torn up?

12 holes are in this For Sale area.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

The land has shale mining history.

Two years ago a shaft collapsed about 10 yards off the 2nd fairway.

There are a few fenced off areas that were susceptible to subsidence.

Any new owner has to undertake to repair these. No repair was done at the last one, just fenced off. My thinking, this has pushed on the sale.

BP (Scottish Oils) closed their detergent factory, one of the cheapest way to clean up the land was to create a golf course, extending us from 9 to 18 holes.

All confusing, we have a 99 year lease at a peppercorn £100 Per year.

Can a new owner make money ?

Can the lease be torn up?

12 holes are in this For Sale area.

From that, looks like there would be very limited use for a prospective buyer. How long has there been part of the course on that section? 

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From that, looks like there would be very limited use for a prospective buyer. How long has there been part of the course on that section? 

Since 2000.

Members were levied at £200 per head.

£750k from lottery fund.

BP stumped up the rest then sold it onto the current owner.

I don't remember being told this, but we were offered to buy it, but decided against due to the ground repair caveat.

I have the feeling, the owners thought a stretch of land between the old and new could have been house developed.

For whatever reason this has not happened. I remember that coming up at an AGM.

Rudi Skacel

Got a good weekend of golf coming up. 

we are playing Lundin Links and then Leven on Friday, away down to Duns for their open on Saturday and first medal of the season at Haddington on Sunday. 

all my good scores from last year are starting to drop off now. I was down at 8.7 3 rounds ago which was my lowest ever, im now at 9.6 and have 2 great scores dropping off the next 2 rounds.  Just in time for the medals!

Tommy Brown
49 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

we are playing Lundin Links and then Leven on Friday, away down to Duns for their open on Saturday and first medal of the season at Haddington on Sunday. 

all my good scores from last year are starting to drop off now. I was down at 8.7 3 rounds ago which was my lowest ever, im now at 9.6 and have 2 great scores dropping off the next 2 rounds.  Just in time for the medals!

Good luck Rudi and enjoy Lundin and Leven. Was really taken with Lundin last year.

Our season doesn't kick off until the 8th.

5 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Hi Rudi,

How did you enjoy Duns? and what kind of nick is it in.

I played it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, and the fees are very reasonable.

Was thinking of heading back this year.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Rory v Scottie 🤞

Scottie is gonna need extra holes if that is gonna happen

11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Scottie is gonna need extra holes if that is gonna happen

Still on 😯

51 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Normally a bit earlier for me:lol:

Screenshot_20230326_195356_Facebook.jpg

😄

Mine is 6 holes to warm up

6 decent in the middle

6 too tired at the end

Glad to hear about Pumphy. Your 99 year lease gives you decent protection going forward.

Committee should certainly look to bid at the auction, there might be no other interest 

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good luck Rudi and enjoy Lundin and Leven. Was really taken with Lundin last year.

Our season doesn't kick off until the 8th.

Lundin is a lovely course but weakened by the two holes after the turn (par 3 up the hill followed by hole running parallel with the road). Cracking greens and real test when the wind blows. 

On 20/03/2023 at 15:38, merrymac said:

Very short and very hilly. a number  of the holes with small square greens cut into the hillside.

When firm can be very difficult as you need to allow massively for the slopes.

Some brilliant views, and a couple of nice holes. I remember a par 3 played from the top of a hill to a green way below.

Helps if you have one leg shorter than the other :rolleyes:

Well, that was an experience.  Blew out my hoop for just over 3 hours!

Anyone remember the early holes at Torphin?!  Loved that course when you got to the top and survived the CPR.

Tommy Brown
31 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Well, that was an experience.  Blew out my hoop for just over 3 hours!

Anyone remember the early holes at Torphin?!  Loved that course when you got to the top and survived the CPR.

phenomonal views up there.

hmfc_liam06
14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Lundin is a lovely course but weakened by the two holes after the turn (par 3 up the hill followed by hole running parallel with the road). Cracking greens and real test when the wind blows. 

I don't mind the par 3 so much, but the 13th is a shite hole. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I don't mind the par 3 so much, but the 13th is a shite hole. 

Only good thing about the higher ground is the tee box for the 14th.

Rudi Skacel
On 26/03/2023 at 15:31, merrymac said:

Hi Rudi,

I played it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, and the fees are very reasonable.

ill let you know on Saturday bud. 

hmfc_liam06
19 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Only good thing about the higher ground is the tee box for the 14th.

Yeah definitely. I don't mind it having higher ground I just don't think the 13th is enjoyable in any way. I'd imagine if I was a member it would be a 'lets just get this hole out the way' hole :lol:

1 hour ago, Rudi Skacel said:

ill let you know on Saturday bud. 

Sorry should engage brain when reading😯

Enjoy your day 👍

Tommy Brown

Has the green been moved on Lundin's 13th?

Only played it last year, when i look a Google maps it is not how I mind it.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Has the green been moved on Lundin's 13th?

Only played it last year, when i look a Google maps it is not how I mind it.

Yes, it used to be right round the corner. Now it's practically blocked out with trees :lol:

Also a shame what they done with the trees behind the 11th green.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Farewell and enjoy your retirement, Sandy Lyle. The legend and my Golfing hero when I was a lad. 🏌️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺 

Win the Masters!

New irons ordered today courtesy of the guys at Dumfries and County.

Must say the facilities and advice they provide is superb.

Ping i525 4 to PW on their way shortly.

If you are looking for a custom fit the guys at Dumfries really know their stuff.

Rudi Skacel

Lundin was good. Shot 82 but I threw away some shots after good drived. 

Enjoyed Leven aswell but was tired so played awful! 18 stableford points for Leven! 

good day out though!

Temperatures next week looking more like spring. First medal just a couple of weeks away...

...but what will go wrong with my game this season?!

5 hours ago, kila said:

Temperatures next week looking more like spring. First medal just a couple of weeks away...

...but what will go wrong with my game this season?!

Fairway woods?

7 hours ago, kila said:

...but what will go right with my game this season?!

FTFY!

Also, start focusing on where you want the ball go, instead of where you don't want it to go...:wink:

Rudi Skacel
On 26/03/2023 at 15:31, merrymac said:

Hi Rudi,

Id wait till the summer months. It was muddy and soggy today but they have had alot of rain. Played very long as ball basicly stopped on landing. 

I enjoyed it though. Played Duns often enough now so looking forward to it again. 

Just now, Rudi Skacel said:

Id wait till the summer months. It was muddy and soggy today but they have had alot of rain. Played very long as ball basicly stopped on landing. 

I enjoyed it though. Played Duns often enough now so looking forward to it again. 

Thanks bud

i was going to look for a late entry to the seniors open on tues but will give it a miss now

at least you had a better day than us watching the match 😞😞

Rudi Skacel
34 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Thanks bud

i was going to look for a late entry to the seniors open on tues but will give it a miss now

at least you had a better day than us watching the match 😞😞

I shot 103. Wouldnt call it a better day 🤣

58 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

I shot 103. Wouldnt call it a better day 🤣

Ah well you could speak to Robbie about how to deal with a bad day, he is becoming something of an expert🙁

hmfc_liam06

First proper round after my 11 month injury layoff and shot a net 65 :lol: 

Course is soaking and muddy though, suspect all parkland courses are in the same state right now.

What a beautiful day it was today for a game.  Managed to get round Number 1 at Gullane in 76 shots, didn't hole a single put and it was 13 pars and 5 bogies... The pars were all 2 putts, but a lot of the bogies were single put scrambles... So - I think I am happy with my game, its only my 3rd or 4th this year. 

Bring on next week! 

Just watching Sky Sports early coverage of the Masters. 

Hot topic of course is the LIV guys playing.

First thing I’ve noticed is Cameron Smith and Dustin Johnson have put the beef on big time.

Haven’t seen any of the others but it can’t be a coincidence that these 2 appear to have ate all the pies since heading to the dark side?

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Just watching Sky Sports early coverage of the Masters. 

Hot topic of course is the LIV guys playing.

First thing I’ve noticed is Cameron Smith and Dustin Johnson have put the beef on big time.

Haven’t seen any of the others but it can’t be a coincidence that these 2 appear to have ate all the pies since heading to the dark side?

Do Liv not pay for their hotels? Maybe hitting the buffet bar hard 😆. Or maybe with less important tournaments they're let their fitness go . 

Pasquale for King
On 02/04/2023 at 19:52, Bigsmak said:

What a beautiful day it was today for a game.  Managed to get round Number 1 at Gullane in 76 shots, didn't hole a single put and it was 13 pars and 5 bogies... The pars were all 2 putts, but a lot of the bogies were single put scrambles... So - I think I am happy with my game, its only my 3rd or 4th this year. 

Bring on next week! 

Well done 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
On 02/04/2023 at 19:34, hmfc_liam06 said:

First proper round after my 11 month injury layoff and shot a net 65 :lol: 

Course is soaking and muddy though, suspect all parkland courses are in the same state right now.

Good stuff, been a wet month but hopefully dry up with all these sunny days.

hmfc_liam06
13 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good stuff, been a wet month but hopefully dry up with all these sunny days.

Yeah went from freezing to wet. Apparently the course has actually been relatively dry all winter until March there. March really is a make or break month for courses. A bad March can set a parkland back so much.

That's the LIV guys appeal to being papped off the DP World Tour thrown out, the £100k fines still stand and they will also be fined further if they play in future events (not sure how they can even be accepted).  So, the Ryder Cup is over for those that had a chance and future Captaincy opportunities gone.

Unlucky for some.

17 minutes ago, R9. said:

Seen this morning they are all wearing their Liv team logos on their caps and T-shirts. 

Wonder how the Augusta board will react, they're usually extremely conservative and protective of their brand and partners they choose. They want a strong field but I doubt they want LIV Golf to be whoring itself at every opportunity.

Sex Panther
12 hours ago, R9. said:

Seen this morning they are all wearing their Liv team logos on their caps and T-shirts. 

I might be wrong, but I'm relatively sure I read somewhere that they're contracted to do so.

Sex Panther

Aye, that fits R9.

I'm sure it was a thread on Twitter I read it on a month or so ago. It was basically stating that any new sponsorship needs to be ok'd (maybe even managed) by LIV and that they're obligated to promote LIV at every opportunity or words to that effect.

Edited by Sex Panther