Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Cheers pet. Get called a hibs ***** a lot , glad you have stuck up for me here. 😘

not at the wind up though, 80+ calls for a new hobby. 

Pointless playing golf at all, if you can beat Par. What's the point of playing any sports if you can turn professional. 

Anyway, nae point having fun and spending time with some mates, that doesn't involve getting pished or watching Hearts getting beat. Thinking about it, what's the point of Hearts?

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Taffin said:

Now that I resent, I get through my hundred shots quickly!

Part of the problem 👍 

We'll break 80 again, soon enough. I, like you, hadn't hit a ball for a long time(Over 10 years and only about half a dozen rounds in 20 years). I used to average mid 70s when I was in my teens early 20s, so I know what I can do, that's why I came back and are now on a mission. 😁

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Part of the problem 👍 

We'll break 80 again, soon enough. I, like you, hadn't hit a ball for a long time(Over 10 years and only about half a dozen rounds in 20 years). I used to average mid 70s when I was in my teens early 20s, so I know what I can do, that's why I came back and are now on a mission. 😁

Nice one, I was nowhere near that good before, but a similar timeframe for me. Played when I was mid-teens. Was about 15 handicap at best but didn't really take it seriously. Then probably one round a year until I got the bug last year.

I can sort of see Irufushi's point, he's just set the bar far too high (low?). I was stuck behind a four ball Sunday and honestly I don't think I saw 3 of them hit the ball more than 50 yards. Zig zagging your way around the course in 150+ shots can't be fun surely, but each to their own. I shot 136 on my first round back last year and if I wasn't back averaging in the 90s in the  few rounds following it I don't think I'd have kept at it as it was a draining experience. 

19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Nice one, I was nowhere near that good before, but a similar timeframe for me. Played when I was mid-teens. Was about 15 handicap at best but didn't really take it seriously. Then probably one round a year until I got the bug last year.

I can sort of see Irufushi's point, he's just set the bar far too high (low?). I was stuck behind a four ball Sunday and honestly I don't think I saw 3 of them hit the ball more than 50 yards. Zig zagging your way around the course in 150+ shots can't be fun surely, but each to their own. I shot 136 on my first round back last year and if I wasn't back averaging in the 90s in the  few rounds following it I don't think I'd have kept at it as it was a draining experience. 

128 I think I hit first round, then 118, 106 then 95, 95, 91 for my handicap. Now I know what I've been doing wrong and expect to beat 80 by August. 

As for IRoryshi, if he can't shoot 18, he ought to chuck it. 😁

Edited by ri Alban

Samuel Camazzola

What would help the folk who chop it about and get around in big numbers is to make use of the tee boxes most relevant to the standard they play at. There are no longer 'ladies tees' or 'junior tees' - courses have adopted 'ability tees' which are all rated and can be used for WHS purposes too. 

It may be an ego thing but all too often you see folk pegging it up from tee boxes where they can't get half the enjoyment out the game. It's all too common when you see the daft Yanks on premium courses playing from tees where pros play from. I get that they've paid top $ for the privilege but there's not much worse than seeing someone with all the latest gear scuff a shot that barely reaches the members' tees (unless you are stuck behind them). 

Make the course shorter and more playable and you'll benefit from it. 👍 

26 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m not having a go in any shape, albeit if I was behind you that may have changed. 😡 

You'd have been going bonkers. It took 4.5 hours on Sunday, I was sat at tee boxes waiting. Was round Haddington in ❤️ hours when quiet midweek winter, I'm not good, but I'm not a slow player.

If you scoring above 100. Is you skill level such that you should be on the course? Would you not be better spending a bit of time working on your swing and game and getting to a position where you will break 100.  

Not sure, I reckon anyone comfortably over 100 consistently probably shouldn't really be on the course. Personally I feel it's just rust for me and when the courses are littered with literal hackers I'm sure I make much difference to anyone else's round. Reckon I'll be around 90-95 when I'm out again this weekend. And hopefully break 90 by end of June.

Trying to improve your game, when you’re a ‘born again’ novice on the course is difficult. You don’t improve the fundamentals as you’re concerned with scoring.  

I do definitely agree with that, I find I'm often chasing where I used to be. The fundamentals however remain pretty constant though, it's the thinning of chips, too much/too little club and ghastly putting that racks the score up for me, full shot striking is usually fine.

You want to get the fundamentals right and develop some control. Otherwise you will be a weekend warrior who will never break 80 never mind 70. 

Almost nobody breaks 70 though, to be consistently down there we're talking pro status. Weekend warriors are pretty much all the vast majority will ever be until they retire or turn pro.

You really want to get to a position where at least 80% of you shots end up where you expect or know where it’s going. Whilst, a go to shot with a wood a driver is handy. That allows you to develop a short game which golf is about.  

I'd say I was about 60% on Sunday, so poor. 80% is still pretty ropey though, that's 20% of your shots amiss and if that's in the rough, over the back or in the water you're well over 80 already. 

Agree about the short game though, that's why I think scores can tumble fast for a returning golfer as it's just practice really. I was dicking about with a lob wedge front 9 largely as I was bored and switched to chipping on the back 9 and it probably accounted for most of my 9 shots saved right there.

I have been working with my son for the last couple of years. He hasn’t played on a full golf course yet as he’s not quite ready. To give you idea of his standard he can hit a drive over 200 yards, straight about 60 % of the time, whilst anything inside about 150 he’s getting it about 80% with a nice baby draw. He’s not long turned 14. 

He’s worked with a teacher probably about once a month (plus me at range etc) and it’s probably just over a year with the pro. He has a swing that I would kill for and will be a good golfers as he has great fundamentals.  

I'd have sacked it off ages ago practicing but not playing 😂😂

When my drives are down around 60% I just switch to a 3 wood. Distance and accuracy are great if you're looking to make something from the game imo, sounds like it may be the path your lad's on (fingers crossed!). My grandad was a scratch golfer and very much of the old school approach...bump and runs, irons from the tee, straight up course management and nous. I reckon for most of us we'd be better spent polishing those skills than the glory stuff.

I expect the next month or so, we will play a round on a short course. Though we have been using pitch and putts and the odd hole for practice purposes. This has been very much a plan between me and the teacher to prevent him developing a full love of game as he’d get scunnered on course. 

I appreciate you get enjoyment from the course as opposed to practice. However, spending sometime on fundamentals would benefit you more than hacking round once a week. Golf is a game about minimising mistakes, that’s difficult to do without having the fundamentals. 

Obviously, the above said golf is about enjoyment. So do what you want. I just find it difficult to enjoy something I’m not very good at. 

I'll never be good at golf though, the effort and more importantly time required to be good is phenomenal and I simply don't have the time even if I had the effort 😂

Anyone averaging 90 or less is of a standard where they can enjoy it and not be an issue to others on the course imo. 

I'm pretty confident that with 2 rounds a month plus some range and sim time that I'll be regularly mid-80s by the end of summer...queue hubris seeing me snap my clubs 😂😂

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Now I know what I've been doing wrong and expect to beat 80 by August. 

I've been at that stage for 10 years. Only actually managed it once. :lol: 

Edited by Ray Gin

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I've been at that stage for 10 years. Only actually managed it once. :lol: 

New clubs would take me to a few levels above. Just a cheap set I bought about 14 years ago, to go on a golf outing with the lads. Just can't justify it,ATM. 

I binned my good clubs, when I moved to Inverness :facepalm: 

Putting together upgrades,a bit at a time. I'm tempted to buy RF MB clubs. They look the business.

Armageddon
19 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

🤣 that’ll be me then, I’ll still keep plugging away though😁

I can testify to him being 100% Hearts, a 100% Hearts windup merchant though🤣

He’s actually a really good golfer, although my 15 year old lad would still hand him his erse anytime 😊

@Irufushi Is it a stretch to call myself your ex-club fitter? :)  A good Hearts man.

And @OBE another good Hearts man, although he dresses for the golf course like he's about to run out the Tynie tunnel on a Saturday afternoon :)

Edited by Armageddon

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

New clubs would take me to a few levels above. Just a cheap set I bought about 14 years ago, to go on a golf outing with the lads. Just can't justify it,ATM. 

I binned my good clubs, when I moved to Inverness :facepalm: 

Putting together upgrades,a bit at a time. I'm tempted to buy RF MB clubs. They look the business.

Every season when I find some consistency I think about booking a fitting for new clubs to help take my game to the next level. Then just before I get around to it, my swing suddenly goes to complete **** where every shot is a lottery, and I think "well there's no point getting fitted while I'm swinging like this". 

:sadrobbo:

My clubs are about 20 years old now. :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

@Irufushi Is it a stretch to call myself your ex-club fitter? :)  A good Hearts man.

And @OBE another good Hearts man, although he dresses for the golf course like he's about to run out the Tynie tunnel on a Saturday afternoon :)

Ok, I'll bin the shin pads...love Maroon...👍

Armageddon
21 minutes ago, OBE said:

Ok, I'll bin the shin pads...love Maroon...👍

Haha UKIO BANKAS on the Footjoy top is a nice touch! :)

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Ex club fitter 👌

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Every season when I find some consistency I think about booking a fitting for new clubs to help take my game to the next level. Then just before I get around to it, my swing suddenly goes to complete **** where every shot is a lottery, and I think "well there's no point getting fitted while I'm swinging like this". 

Probably expensive at the time, tho. Mine are cheap rubbish. 🤣

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Probably expensive at the time, tho. Mine are cheap rubbish. 🤣

Wot u got?

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

If the shaft material is steel, you may find that they are no longer matched, being 20 years old...:thumb:

32 minutes ago, OBE said:

Wot u got?

Dunlop. Tho I've a Taylor made driver, Cobra F9 3/4 wood and a Cobra five wood. I bought a odyssey putter and put more weight on it. Working a treat. I'm going to get a couple of wedges, PW and GW, Cobra or Cleveland. Then I'll save up for irons.

Edited by ri Alban

I'm for the tee options to be about ability rather than gender/age. But the colour changes are shite. For most courses with three tees, white/yellow/red really stood out and you could quickly see where the medal tee was, but with black it blends in with the general surroundings. Sometimes the blue looks almost black at my course though maybe the deeper blue they went with would be better with a light blue.

On 02/05/2023 at 07:12, ri Alban said:

Aye, so you will. Hopeless *****!

On 02/05/2023 at 07:12, ri Alban said:

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, so you will. Hopeless *****!

Hey, that's our job!...:laugh2:

Poulter, Westwood and Garcia resign from European Tour, no longer eligible for Ryder Cup. Good... think their attitude would stink the place out now and they're becoming has-beens anyway.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, kila said:

Poulter, Westwood and Garcia resign from European Tour, no longer eligible for Ryder Cup. Good... think their attitude would stink the place out now and they're becoming has-beens anyway.

The biggest contradiction from the DP Tour was to hand Westwood a suspension and fine but then wanted him to appear as a marquee name for their Senior Tour with big appearance fees! 😂 🤣 🙈

On the current stance, Europe have lost three potential strong captains. 

Disser Pointon

Played Irvine yesterday, very enjoyable but definitely a course you need to have played before, lots of blind holes!

Goswick open on Sunday.

Edited by Disser Pointon

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Goswick open on Sunday.

Playing it too,  first time.

Had my eye on it for years.

Good luck.

Disser Pointon
14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Playing it too,  first time.

Had my eye on it for years.

Good luck.

It's a great course mate, you'll enjoy it. Not to be too windy either which is always a bonus! What time are you off, we're 10.40?

Tommy Brown
8 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

It's a great course mate, you'll enjoy it. Not to be too windy either which is always a bonus! What time are you off, we're 10.40?

Tommy Brown

Played Murrayfield last night for first time. Very enjoyable  I was expecting a lot serious climbing. It was not taxing at all. Not long either.

For @Irufushi scored 89.

I'm a master at clocking up 4 more shots from around the green.

First medal at my new course, today. Stableford, so could be in with a chance. Unless there's a problem with the registration. 

Decided to put new grigs on my shirt irons today. Hopefully my boys will sort my irons out for my 50th. 🙏🏌️🤞

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Played Murrayfield last night for first time. Very enjoyable  I was expecting a lot serious climbing. It was not taxing at all. Not long either.

For @Irufushi scored 89.

I'm a master at clocking up 4 more shots from around the green.

E3305FF3-1BE3-4AA6-A3B0-144A713FA3E9.jpeg

Rudi Skacel
12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

First medal at my new course, today. Stableford, so could be in with a chance. Unless there's a problem with the registration. 

Decided to put new grigs on my shirt irons today. Hopefully my boys will sort my irons out for my 50th. 🙏🏌️🤞

where is your new course?

im working all weekend so will miss the golf. Hoping for a game monday afternoon. Worst case im playing Wednesday morning. 

Out tomorrow. Aiming to shoot a score to keep @Lord BJ and @Irufushi happy. Likelihood is though they'd probably tie me to a target on the range and hit balls at me instead 😂😂

Edited by Taffin

44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Out tomorrow. Aiming to shoot a score to keep @Lord BJ and @Irufushi happy. Likelihood is though they'd probably tie me to a target on the range and hit balls at me instead 😂😂

The pressure is on. I wish you well. 

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

As long as you beat 93🤣

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

As long as you beat 93🤣

93 would be a lifetime ban if it was my choice! 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Irufushi said:

93 would be a lifetime ban if it was my choice! 

yes-mike.gif

10 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

where is your new course?

im working all weekend so will miss the golf. Hoping for a game monday afternoon. Worst case im playing Wednesday morning. 

Gleddoch 

19 hours ago, Irufushi said:

16 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

As long as you beat 93🤣

Less said about that the better. I'd probably even ban myself after that 😂😂

Next week's the one!

Statts1976uk

Just played the Killeen Course out in Killarney Co.Kerry where they sometimes host the Irish Open. Amazing course in a fantastic setting. 

Had to play off of the blue tees and failed to crack 80 so all in all, a bit of a waste of time playing it! 🤣🤣🤣

Seniors Open at ma wee course, it's gonna get ripped a new one today. No rough, no wind, greens true and fast...:(.

64, leader in the CH...

Edit:- 62...LitCH...

Edited by OBE

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Seniors Open at ma wee course, it's gonna get ripped a new one today. No rough, no wind, greens true and fast...:(.

64, leader in the CH...

Edit:- 62...LitCH...

62 no doubt posted by a bandit with a 20+ handicap. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

62 no doubt posted by a bandit with a 20+ handicap. 

62 (9) H/c.

59 (13) H/c...72 scratch...:sombrero: another Pancho Villas...

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, OBE said:

62 (9) H/c.

59 (13) H/c...72 scratch...:sombrero: another Pancho Villas...

What's the par of the course? 68?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, OBE said:

If they are away players, will be interesting to see if their scores are returned and their indexes adjusted.