Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If they are away players, will be interesting to see if their scores are returned and their indexes adjusted. 

Home boy scored the 59...:sweeet:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bandit season well underway 🤣 What do you guys think about folk who receive shots on par 3’s in ties, personally I think it’s a bit cheeky.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, OBE said:

At least that score will be captured. 

5 hours ago, escobri said:

Bandit season well underway 🤣 What do you guys think about folk who receive shots on par 3’s in ties, personally I think it’s a bit cheeky.

Stroke index there for a reason.

25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Stroke index there for a reason.

Granted, shouldn't be allowed though 🤣 max 1 per hole with none on par 3's.

12 minutes ago, escobri said:

Granted, shouldn't be allowed though 🤣 max 1 per hole with none on par 3's.

Why? Some par 3s are way harder to make par than a par 4 or 5.

Stick a 20+ handicapper on a 200 yard par 3 surrounded by hazards and 9 times out of 10 they're not making bogey, never mind a par.

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Why? Some par 3s are way harder to make par than a par 4 or 5.

Stick a 20+ handicapper on a 200 yard par 3 surrounded by hazards and 9 times out of 10 they're not making bogey, never mind a par.

And when they stick it on the green they are there for feck all, gtf, I'd give juniors or ladies a shot but not grown men.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, escobri said:

I'd disagree. 

A stroke index could be debated as being out of date and requiring more regular reviews but I've played plenty courses where the par 3s are more challenging that par 4s or 5s.Take a visit to Glencorse and you'll find several par 3s that are a challenge and need a strong long game. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, escobri said:

And when they stick it on the green they are there for feck all, gtf, I'd give juniors or ladies a shot but not grown men.

The WHS means there is no need for different treatment. Ability tees are rated too. 

I've known plenty juniors and ladies who'd be giving up the shots to a 'grown man' and still hand them their arse. 

Armageddon
On 10/05/2023 at 09:31, OBE said:

The list of clubs folk travelled from for this was pretty impressive

19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

The list of clubs folk travelled from for this was pretty impressive

Keen!

£15 Senior Open, much, much more for fuel...

Peterborough Milton (would think they had other courses on their itinerary), Whitley Bay and Alnwick.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Feel under pressure to break 80 tomorrow otherwise ill need to sell all my stuff and quit playing. 

Marketplace is the best place to go Rudi.

Screenshot_20230512_193501_Facebook.jpg

Tommy knows! That’s a good deal too, rudi. 

stop butchering it about and have a few pints and a game of bowls . 

hmfc_liam06
On 10/05/2023 at 14:25, escobri said:

What’s the difference between them sticking it on the green in one on a par 3 and on the green in two on a par 4?

No wonder some folk get put off golf.

hmfc_liam06

WHS is a shambles though and far too easy to manipulate.

I live under 2m from my home course, nothing stopping me from sitting in my house, starting a round on the app, faking a score and then submitting it two hours later.

I know for a fact some are doing it, having done some of the handicap admin at my last place. Specifically folk are doing it in time for match play ties. Shambles.

My handicap is rising perfectly naturally by itself🤣

Rudi Skacel

You can do it from as far away as 2 miles? I know I can do it as im literally just over the wall from it. 

I prefer the new system. Gives more accurate handicap for your form. 

Under the old system if you had a great round way under your handicap and got cut 5 shots. It would take you at least 50 medal rounds to get back to where you were. 

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

You can do it from as far away as 2 miles? I know I can do it as im literally just over the wall from it. 

I prefer the new system. Gives more accurate handicap for your form. 

Under the old system if you had a great round way under your handicap and got cut 5 shots. It would take you at least 50 medal rounds to get back to where you were. 

Yeah the method of assessing handicaps is far better, but it’s far too wide open for abuse with the general play scoring.

joondalupjambo

Our Head Greenkeeper retired from Lundie GC after circa 30 years in the role and they had a gold day for him last week.  A rabid Tic man, and ST holder for as long as time began they managed to get a Celtic ex players fourball to play on the day and as you could imagine he was over the moon.   Paul Higgins, Tom Boyd, Gerry Gracie and George McCluskey.   Heard of two of them.  Word on the street was that golf was not their first sport 🙂

Edited by joondalupjambo

12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What’s the difference between them sticking it on the green in one on a par 3 and on the green in two on a par 4?

No wonder some folk get put off golf.

Sorry for having an opinion 😪  As there is more room for error on a par 4, par 3s are generally a mid to low iron(bar quirky holes) .1 good shot and they are putting for a net 1, i just think as its bandit season that it's a bit cheeky stroking on short holes. In retrospect I'd be alright with a complete hacker to get a stroke on a 3. Suppose after all the hcap system is there to let the shite play with the big boys.Out.

Rudi Skacel

A few people on this thread are coming across as high and mighty tbh. 

Just play the game and enjoy your hobby. 

5 hours ago, escobri said:

Sorry for having an opinion 😪  As there is more room for error on a par 4, par 3s are generally a mid to low iron(bar quirky holes) .1 good shot and they are putting for a net 1, i just think as its bandit season that it's a bit cheeky stroking on short holes. In retrospect I'd be alright with a complete hacker to get a stroke on a 3. Suppose after all the hcap system is there to let the shite play with the big boys.Out.

Seen some shite beat low single figures in my day...mon the shite...😊

42 minutes ago, OBE said:

Seen some shite beat low single figures in my day...mon the shite...😊

🤣

Rudi Skacel

35 points today. “83” for handicap purposes. There was a score in there today. 3 bad drives cost me sadly. 

however was good fun again. 

17 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

35 points today. “83” for handicap purposes. There was a score in there today. 3 bad drives cost me sadly. 

however was good fun again. 

Nothing worse than driving well all day then slicing wild at 15 or something 

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Nothing worse than driving well all day then slicing wild at 15 or something 

Presshaa...:(

Armageddon
On 12/05/2023 at 20:19, hmfc_liam06 said:

WHS is a shambles though and far too easy to manipulate.

I live under 2m from my home course, nothing stopping me from sitting in my house, starting a round on the app, faking a score and then submitting it two hours later.

I know for a fact some are doing it, having done some of the handicap admin at my last place. Specifically folk are doing it in time for match play ties. Shambles.

My handicap is rising perfectly naturally by itself🤣

I do agree.  I see the benefits of it capturing the scores and it reflecting your ability at the time.  BUT.......

Cat 1 Juniors.  Playing 40 competition rounds a year, zero need for General Play scores, yet many are still placing in General Play scores, I've yet to see a junior GP score over their handicap, but it's to ensure they are low enough to get into competitions.  Boys knocking about off +6.

Category 1 golfers shouldn't be able to use the GP function IMO.

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

I do agree.  I see the benefits of it capturing the scores and it reflecting your ability at the time.  BUT.......

Cat 1 Juniors.  Playing 40 competition rounds a year, zero need for General Play scores, yet many are still placing in General Play scores, I've yet to see a junior GP score over their handicap, but it's to ensure they are low enough to get into competitions.  Boys knocking about off +6.

Category 1 golfers shouldn't be able to use the GP function IMO.

I know of a guy who had to be off 7 or better to qualify for a tournament that took place at 3 elite courses. He was off around 8/9 at the time...

No need to guess what happens next.

Although it's bad crack either way, I guess doing it for a lower handicap is a touch more palatable than folk inflating their handicap to win trophies/sweep etc.

You also have the "if I play well today I'll stick it in as a general play" crowd too :lol:

Honestly, they've ****ed it.

Broke 80 for the first time this year - 78 round Gullane No.1 - 6 times I took 3 or more from on or at the side of the green, on 2 of the 3 par 5s I was about 20yrds from the pin in 2 and took a 6.  On the 3rd par 5, I only 3 putted for a par !

So - all in all, I am hitting the ball well, was level over the par 3s, with a two pars, one birdy and one bogie - 2 over for the par 5s - with 11 shots played in less than 50yrs combined!  -  

Bring on next week! 

Rudi Skacel
9 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Broke 80 for the first time this year - 78 round Gullane No.1 - 6 times I took 3 or more from on or at the side of the green, on 2 of the 3 par 5s I was about 20yrds from the pin in 2 and took a 6.  On the 3rd par 5, I only 3 putted for a par !

So - all in all, I am hitting the ball well, was level over the par 3s, with a two pars, one birdy and one bogie - 2 over for the par 5s - with 11 shots played in less than 50yrs combined!  -  

Bring on next week! 

well done. You dont need to quit now. 

being on the green in 2 on the 15th is good going. Thats a long brute of a hole!!

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Bring on next week! 

Well done. Maybe go for a short game lesson or look them up online? Harrington has some brilliant videos on Youtube or instagram. 

4 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

well done. You dont need to quit now. 

being on the green in 2 on the 15th is good going. Thats a long brute of a hole!!

Have you quit yet? 🧐

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well done. Maybe go for a short game lesson or look them up online? Harrington has some brilliant videos on Youtube or instagram. 

It's purely due to moving to Dunfermline a couple of years ago and having an 18 month old baby. Makes it difficult to get games in. I might need to think about playing in Fife somewhere. When I was off 3 (for about 2 weeks)  I was playing 3 times a week. Now I'm lucky if it's twice a month.

4.7 currently, still some work to do

Rudi Skacel
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Have you quit yet? 🧐

weirdly enough, if the people you wanted to give up the game all gave up, there wouldnt be any golf courses. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

It's purely due to moving to Dunfermline a couple of years ago and having an 18 month old baby. Makes it difficult to get games in. I might need to think about playing in Fife somewhere. When I was off 3 (for about 2 weeks)  I was playing 3 times a week. Now I'm lucky if it's twice a month.

Sounds like you know what you’re doing, life gets in the way sometimes. Not easy to keep that low a handicap  when youre not able to play enough. Good luck with that all 👍🏽

Armageddon
17 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Bring on next week! 

You weren't there on Sunday afternoon were you?  We were down and ploughing through the Yanks.

The par 3's on G1 are superb, plus many other unreal holes, love that second green wedged into the hill as you think you're protected by the slope, then the 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th and standing on 17 thinking you can burst it 390 down the hill... but the bunkers ensure you've a horrendous 70 yard bunker shot in.

I've had a couple of folk say they prefer Gullane 2, I can't see how that's possible.

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

You weren't there on Sunday afternoon were you?  We were down and ploughing through the Yanks.

The par 3's on G1 are superb, plus many other unreal holes, love that second green wedged into the hill as you think you're protected by the slope, then the 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th and standing on 17 thinking you can burst it 390 down the hill... but the bunkers ensure you've a horrendous 70 yard bunker shot in.

I've had a couple of folk say they prefer Gullane 2, I can't see how that's possible.

Gullane 2 is a good course, not as punishing as Number 1, you can get away with worse shots - so maybe people score better and enjoy it more. 

Yes, 1 is brilliant, all the 4 par threes are so different to each other and in their own ways, really good holes.  There is often a lot of shot management that needs to happen to score well there. 

Don't suppose there was a Matt in your group - saw a Facebook friend down there on Sunday I think - 

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Have you played many of the local courses? Burntisland is probably a favourite of mine local to Dunfermline. Pitreavie is decent too. Yet to play Forrester Park, actually the only course in Fife I've yet to play (Old Course aside).

Armageddon
22 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Gullane 2 is a good course, not as punishing as Number 1, you can get away with worse shots - so maybe people score better and enjoy it more. 

Yes, 1 is brilliant, all the 4 par threes are so different to each other and in their own ways, really good holes.  There is often a lot of shot management that needs to happen to score well there. 

Don't suppose there was a Matt in your group - saw a Facebook friend down there on Sunday I think - 

I just walked with the boy, rookie error was booking behind the tour bookings, but they were fine in letting us through.

I love how 1 lets you enjoy a soft entry on hole 1 to stretch the legs, and then a calm ending on 18 to dust yourself down, but it rag dolls you through the other 16!

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Have you played many of the local courses? Burntisland is probably a favourite of mine local to Dunfermline. Pitreavie is decent too. Yet to play Forrester Park, actually the only course in Fife I've yet to play (Old Course aside).

Played a few in St Andrews and about the area.  Recently though, just a few.  Scoonie and a few others. might need to see if I can get a cheap membership somewhere and keep playing more

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Played a few in St Andrews and about the area.  Recently though, just a few.  Scoonie and a few others. might need to see if I can get a cheap membership somewhere and keep playing more

Kinross is excellent value albeit with a joining fee spread over the first 3 years. But after that it’s like £450 and they have two courses.

If you’re not bothered about competition play then the Fife Rover is £370 or so.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

I had the fife rover two years ago - I don't think I used it enough to justify the price, I could have been paying under £20 per round for several of the courses. 

Probably needed the medals / comps to make me go play! 

I've played at Kinross a couple of times - both quite wet underfoot 

Edited by Bigsmak

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I had the fife rover two years ago - I don't think I used it enough to justify the price, I could have been paying under £20 per round for several of the courses. 

Probably needed the medals / comps to make me go play! 

I've played at Kinross a couple of times - both quite wet underfoot 

Think most parkland in Fife are the same for 6 months of the year 🤣

My place is £399 for new members, not gonna lie it’s not the best place in the world but it’s decent enough and there’s 4 comps per week 😅

22 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

weirdly enough, if the people you wanted to give up the game all gave up, there wouldnt be any golf courses. 

You should quit. Save the tee times for us elite players . 

Rudi Skacel

Played 36 today. Down in duns then up in Haddington. Not the best scoring but was enjoyable. 

Duns in better nick than it was last month. Greens were slow though!

neal-jambos

Has anyone played Broomieknowe recently? Playing the open there on Sunday and never played it before. It seems fairly short but narrow. 

Very average start to the season for me with every medal round 3 over my handicap. 

Also played 36 holes at Pumpherston last Monday and enjoyed it. Played average but making stupid decisions like trying to go for the green on 18 with a hybrid out a fairway bunker needing to carry 190 yards to clear the water doesn’t help. Was trying to beat my mate I was playing against but ended up walking off with a 7 to just break 90 😂

Edited by neal-jambos

Sex Panther
10 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Has anyone played Broomieknowe recently? Playing the open there on Sunday and never played it before. It seems fairly short but narrow. 

Very average start to the season for me with every medal round 3 over my handicap. 

Also played 36 holes at Pumpherston last Monday and enjoyed it. Played average but making stupid decisions like trying to go for the green on 18 with a hybrid out a fairway bunker needing to carry 190 yards to clear the water doesn’t help. Was trying to beat my mate I was playing against but ended up walking off with a 7 to just break 90 😂

Exactly where I'm at just now. Can't seem to hit my irons for toffee, doesn't matter which one. 

Think I'll just throw money into buying new ones. That'll sort it, right?🤪