Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

12 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

I think it’s my club and it’s a junior comp.

Going to assume he’s just joined and they’ve messed up putting his initial cards in for handicap. 

Aw man.  That's better, we were chatting about someone scooping the kitty!  It'll settle down once they've got a few rounds under their belt.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Based on the scorecard, trying to work out the course. West Linton? 

Looks like Dundas to me

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, SectionG said:

Looks like Dundas to me

👍 

I had only focused on the 18th being a par 3 but didn't see it was a 9 hole loop x2. 

On 17/04/2023 at 00:00, Samuel Camazzola said:

Superb from Fitzpatrick. 👏 

Yes, fantastic stuff from the, eh, Englishman...;)

hmfc_liam06

He looked done at The Masters.

It wasn’t his usual “I’ve hit a bad shot so better start limping” routine. 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Every operation he has involves the word 'fusion', are they just gluing all his bones together?!

Makes me mind of Mr burns from the Simpsons.  

There's an episode showing his daily routine where he gets blood transfusions, bones reset,  skin tightened, etc.  

This is probably tigers life too. 

Tiger should invest in stem cell treatment. Fusing bones is not the way to go. Just look at the state of Ronnie Coleman.

joondalupjambo

Bit of news from Lundie if anyone playing there soon.  The greens were speeded up for the Scottish Boys Championship and the pins put in ridiculously hard positions.  Then after that finished the greens continue to be ironed even more and it is like putting on concrete.  Not a lot of grass and a bit of sand on them all so time will tell how it pans out in the coming months. Pins still in silly positions. A lot of members going daft about it and WHS for many just going up and up.  Some crying others stopping playing in comps or putting in general play rounds.

So new Head Greenkeeper (club call him course manager as is the trend) after the current one confirmed he was retiring after circa 30 years service.  New guy has come from a Championship course and now it looks like he thinks we need Championship greens.  Complaints being put in daily apparently and so it will be interesting to see the outcome.  Members club with at least 60% over 55 and so basically greens too difficult. 

Visitors and many others will probably love it but interesting debate in that going on as to who the course is for.  Change is always difficult but change with no communication as to what is being done is worse.

Fully expect something to give in the next week or two.  

Rudi Skacel

Played there 3 weeks ago. Loved the fast greens. Just think you get better roll on them. Contrast that to Leven which we played after where they were so slow. 

Would def go back an play again. 

joondalupjambo
9 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Played there 3 weeks ago. Loved the fast greens. Just think you get better roll on them. Contrast that to Leven which we played after where they were so slow. 

Would def go back an play again. 

Three weeks ago they were slow 🙂

Honestly if you went there today you would notice a huge difference.

I like fast greens but there are fast greens and fast greens plus if you add in daft pin positions so you get very few straight putts it makes it a royal pain in the backside 🙂

It will be interesting to see what happens when we get a bit of grass growth on them and they start to cut again instead of the constant rolling.  Time will tell.

Gentlemen.,

I know this is a bit off topic but wanted to give the JKB golfing fraternity first chance.

I have a spare ticket for the Strongbow hospitality lounge tomorrow ( My mate just called to let me know he is having to work, and the rest of my mates are away on a golfing trip🙁.

So just PM me and the spot is yours, you just have to put up with me for a couple of hours:rolleyes:

I am looking to get to the stadium at 11.30am.

Cheers

MM

Edited by merrymac

Apparently castle Stuart’s (or whatever they want to call it nowadays)second course finally getting started. Last design Arnold palmer did to my knowledge. Would be great if it was a members course as 

inverness severely lacks golf courses.highly doubt it will be though. 

7 hours ago, R9. said:

Over ten years for me. But probably more so twenty. I used play constantly, then once or twice a year for about 10 years and then no golf. I still don't have the big I had, when I young and through my teens, but I just need an upgrade. Thou I'll need to go second hand as £500+ for a driver, ain't happening and £1000s for irons ain't happening either. 

Golf is extortionate unless you play in a coofield with tree branches and a rock.

jack D and coke

Had my first round of the year yesterday and went pretty well. 
83 and that was with an 8 after losing a ball off tee at the 12th and 3 putting 4 ****ing times… :seething:
Medal on Saturday is where it’ll all go Pete Tong again 😐

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Had my first round of the year yesterday and went pretty well. 
83 and that was with an 8 after losing a ball off tee at the 12th and 3 putting 4 ****ing times… :seething:
Medal on Saturday is where it’ll all go Pete Tong again 😐

I was doing ok the other week, then I hit a great 2nd shot into a par 5 and at the last minute drew/hook into the trees. I hit provisional just by the green, but for some reason I went hunting and found it. Thorns everywhere. I ended up with a 10 and for the next two holes destroyed my round with a 6 and another 10. I was playing every hole as a par 5, as I've not played much in six months. I few half rounds or circuits of the first 6 or so holes. 

I'm quite confident I'll break 80 again, before the end of the year. Striking the ball sweet, so when the course dries out, I'll make a few holes very short, compared to the soft shite the noo.

Enjoy bud 🏌️👍

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I was doing ok the other week, then I hit a great 2nd shot into a par 5 and at the last minute drew/hook into the trees. I hit provisional just by the green, but for some reason I went hunting and found it. Thorns everywhere. I ended up with a 10 and for the next two holes destroyed my round with a 6 and another 10. I was playing every hole as a par 5, as I've not played much in six months. I few half rounds or circuits of the first 6 or so holes. 

I'm quite confident I'll break 80 again, before the end of the year. Striking the ball sweet, so when the course dries out, I'll make a few holes very short, compared to the soft shite the noo.

Enjoy bud 🏌️👍

Haha I’m usually the same when I have a bad hole I lose the plot for a few holes and round destroyed.
The next hole I hit a monster off the tee, mibbe as good as I’ve ever hit it down this fairway and immediately got back on track with a par, par, birdie, par, par and then double bogey at the last with two hideous shots near the green🙈

Ive played 12 holes this year and wondered if yesterday I was gonna be all over the place but hitting it sweet as.

Itll likely be a different story in the medal lol.
We’ll see. 
Cheers pal.  

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Haha I’m usually the same when I have a bad hole I lose the plot for a few holes and round destroyed.
The next hole I hit a monster off the tee, mibbe as good as I’ve ever hit it down this fairway and immediately got back on track with a par, par, birdie, par, par and then double bogey at the last with two hideous shots near the green🙈

Ive played 12 holes this year and wondered if yesterday I was gonna be all over the place but hitting it sweet as.

Itll likely be a different story in the medal lol.
We’ll see. 
Cheers pal.  

Good luck 🤞 

My mates auld man won his first medal yesterday. They be calling him a bandit. New golf course, anaw. 🤣 Cut tae feck.

1 hour ago, kila said:

How's the greens around your courses? Any issues because of the cold start to spring?

Gleddoch were bare on some of them. The whole place was soft as shite. But that was a few weeks ago. I've not played since.

Statts1976uk
4 hours ago, kila said:

How's the greens around your courses? Any issues because of the cold start to spring?

Played Thornton at the weekend and the greens were in good condition and very quick even with a bit of moisture in the air. A lot of work was done over the winter on the greens so it's good to see it was worth it.

jack D and coke

Medal wasn’t great @ri Alban:lol: 

93 :facepalm:

Actually not unhappy I was hitting the ball really sweet in most cases just 3 or 4 loose shots ended up with me losing balls and putting a couple of pat nevins and a garden gate on the score card. 
If I keep striking the ball like I was for the most part I’m looking forward to my golf this year. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Medal wasn’t great @ri Alban:lol: 

93 :facepalm:

Actually not unhappy I was hitting the ball really sweet in most cases just 3 or 4 loose shots ended up with me losing balls and putting a couple of pat nevins and a garden gate on the score card. 
If I keep striking the ball like I was for the most part I’m looking forward to my golf this year. 

It's early doors. You'll be flying in no time. 👍

Get ya, I'm hitting the ball really well - last medal had several birdie chances - 

BUT - every second hole just hit 1 bad shot resulting in bad scores - had a 7 on a par 4 (lost off tee) and an 8 on a par 5 - so no good when i'm meant to be a 5 handicapper! 

lol

88 scratch - FML

Dunno how boys who shoot 80+ most weeks can be bothered to play tbh. I’d take up bowling or something if I was hacking it about like that but each to their own I suppose! 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Get ya, I'm hitting the ball really well - last medal had several birdie chances - 

BUT - every second hole just hit 1 bad shot resulting in bad scores - had a 7 on a par 4 (lost off tee) and an 8 on a par 5 - so no good when i'm meant to be a 5 handicapper! 

lol

88 scratch - FML

I was the same when I was off 5, wish I could tell you the solution 🤦🏽

5 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Dunno how boys who shoot 80+ most weeks can be bothered to play tbh. I’d take up bowling or something if I was hacking it about like that but each to their own I suppose! 

You, disrespectful, trolling Hibs natured ***t!...Get yourself TF, off this HMFC forum...

Edited by OBE

11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

The majority of golfers can't even break 90.

Statts1976uk
9 hours ago, OBE said:

You, disrespectful, trolling Hibs natured ***t!...Get yourself TF, off this HMFC forum...

You just know that he is the type of golfer who doesn't submit a card if he's had a bad round.

First round of the year yesterday after re-picking up golf last year. Dreadful front 9, out in 54 but scrambled on the back 9 (despite a lost ball 7 on the 18th 🤦🏻‍♂️) to a 99.

Plenty wasted shots so still hoping to average around 90 or below this year...I assume to the chagrin of the above poster that I'm hacking about

25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

First round of the year yesterday after re-picking up golf last year. Dreadful front 9, out in 54 but scrambled on the back 9 (despite a lost ball 7 on the 18th 🤦🏻‍♂️) to a 99.

Plenty wasted shots so still hoping to average around 90 or below this year...I assume to the chagrin of the above poster that I'm hacking about

https://www.bbc.com/sport/get-inspired/23142883.amp

taff 👍

luckyBatistuta
22 hours ago, Irufushi said:

🤣 that’ll be me then, I’ll still keep plugging away though😁

17 hours ago, OBE said:

I can testify to him being 100% Hearts, a 100% Hearts windup merchant though🤣

7 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

You just know that he is the type of golfer who doesn't submit a card if he's had a bad round.

He’s actually a really good golfer, although my 15 year old lad would still hand him his erse anytime 😊

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

🤣 that’ll be me then, I’ll still keep plugging away though😁

I can testify to him being 100% Hearts, a 100% Hearts windup merchant though🤣

He’s actually a really good golfer, although my 15 year old lad would still hand him his erse anytime 😊

Cheers pet. Get called a hibs ***** a lot , glad you have stuck up for me here. 😘

not at the wind up though, 80+ calls for a new hobby. 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Irufushi said:

Cheers pet. Get called a hibs ***** a lot , glad you have stuck up for me here. 😘

Nope, not happening. I’m pish, but I still enjoy it. Point still stands that my lad would rip you a new one. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

IMG_1109.png

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

😂😂

I'd probably be pish at that too

But you wouldn’t be holding up elite players on the course . 😂

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

But you wouldn’t be holding up elite players on the course . 😂

Now that I resent, I get through my hundred shots quickly!

Rudi Skacel

Ignore the troll. He has nothing better to do. 

Getting new wedges soon. Got the ping g430 irons recently so want to get the 50, 54 and 58 wedges that are part of the set to go with them. 

Statts1976uk

Off to play the Killeen course at the Killarney club on Sunday, nice freebie corporate golf day.

Looks long and tricky so should be a good experience.

Tommy Brown
10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Not sure of % but you want basically anyone over 8 handicap to chuck it.:lol:

I will take guess at 90%.

That's a lot of subscriptions.

Golf is going to one hell of an expensive game your new world.