Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

On 04/02/2023 at 22:24, Irufushi said:

Red. Makes the game

easy peasy. 👍

Never played the red. But the difference between yellow and whites make the course a totally different course on most holes. :yadayada:

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 05/02/2023 at 09:24, OBE said:

If not played the course before, how do you know what you'll shoot? Any new courses we play, parkland, links and how they are underfoot is taken into consideration. Our aim is play the course and conditions so that ideally every club in the bag gets an airing. Too short, drive and 8 iron up, too long, drive and 4 iron down. When playing abroad and have the choice of tees, we'll aim for 6300y to 6500y, never want to come of a course cussing it's length. 

I’d hazard a guess that they’re what you’d typically score on any given round.

It’s a good way of playing to tees where you’ll get most enjoyment. Dumbarnie’s tee boxes are set by handicap, great system.

2 hours ago, escobri said:

It looks bloody awful and thankfully it's being removed. Nobody actually hits a shot from there so just put astro down 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Couple of fun facts though. 

There was actually a stone path each side of the bridge back in 17 oatcake. 

Real golfers never use that bridge. We use the one right next to The Links Rd 😎😎

7 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

It looks bloody awful and thankfully it's being removed. Nobody actually hits a shot from there so just put astro down 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Real golfers never use that bridge. We use the one right next to The Links Rd 😎😎

Astro @ The Home of Golf...can't be serious, surely? The natural stone used will be indigenous to the area.

What qualities do you need to be a real golfer? 

7 hours ago, OBE said:

Astro @ The Home of Golf...can't be serious, surely? The natural stone used will be indigenous to the area.

What qualities do you need to be a real golfer? 

They have used artificial turf each side of the bridge previously to lessen wear. Brad and Chad are always going to stop to get their picture to show the boys back at their country club, but this is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

Thankfully it's already gone, which was probably more to do with the Links Trust not consulting the council than anything else. 

Another pop at the new Scottish Golf app.

Was looking at The Glen's website for opens to play.

Seen a Stableford Pairs for 19/2/23.

No link on the website, remembered that you book their's on the SGU app.

Went on the app, you cannot view any opens, far less enter them.

Had to phone up and book it.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Another pop at the new Scottish Golf app.

Was looking at The Glen's website for opens to play.

Seen a Stableford Pairs for 19/2/23.

No link on the website, remembered that you book their's on the SGU app.

Went on the app, you cannot view any opens, far less enter them.

Had to phone up and book it.

I'm one month too young to play the senior open. :yadayada:

Just now, ri Alban said:

I'm one month too young to play the senior open. :yadayada:

You don't want to play with moaning auld gits like me. Stay young Ri.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You don't want to play with moaning auld gits like me. Stay young Ri.

I'm the biggest moaning faced ***** in Europe. I've been an auld got since I was 12.

Samuel Camazzola
18 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Approach shots to the first green from over by the line of the bridge is a good play if you are daring enough to take a longer club off the tee. Better angle in especially for a front pin. I've opted for a hybrid or 2 iron to ensure my ball stays dry. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Approach shots to the first green from over by the line of the bridge is a good play if you are daring enough to take a longer club off the tee. Better angle in especially for a front pin. I've opted for a hybrid or 2 iron to ensure my ball stays dry. 

I agree with the line but I'd be picking a club that leaves me short of the bridge by a good 20 or 30 yards. 

Anyway the Trust made a mistake and have rectified it quickly. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I agree with the line but I'd be picking a club that leaves me short of the bridge by a good 20 or 30 yards. 

Anyway the Trust made a mistake and have rectified it quickly. 

They could have opened a gift stall on the new patio. 😄 The Americans and Asian tourists would have been all over it. 

26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

They could have opened a gift stall on the new patio. 😄 The Americans and Asian tourists would have been all over it. 

Don't give them ideas 😂😂. I'm still pissed off with the rebranding of Old Tom's shop😡😡. Here's a cool picture though 

20230207_222315.jpg

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Don't give them ideas 😂😂. I'm still pissed off with the rebranding of Old Tom's shop😡😡. Here's a cool picture though 

20230207_222315.jpg

Cracking picture. 

There's an impressive photo book that displays pictures if the Links from the air. You get a good perspective of the contours of where the bunker on the 18th used to be. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cracking picture. 

There's an impressive photo book that displays pictures if the Links from the air. You get a good perspective of the contours of where the bunker on the 18th used to be. 

I've not seen that book, probably one of the few I haven't read about St Andrews history!!

The Old Course has always evolved, it's not a museum. For example the Road Hole bunker has been redesigned twice in the past twenty years. 

This change,though, was completely out of keeping and really wasn't needed.

The Links Trust do an excellent walking tour of the course and the history each Sunday during the summer, really interesting stuff. 

Anyway, I hold St Andrews and especially the Old Course fairly close to my heart. 

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I've not seen that book, probably one of the few I haven't read about St Andrews history!!

The Old Course has always evolved, it's not a museum. For example the Road Hole bunker has been redesigned twice in the past twenty years. 

This change,though, was completely out of keeping and really wasn't needed.

The Links Trust do an excellent walking tour of the course and the history each Sunday during the summer, really interesting stuff. 

Anyway, I hold St Andrews and especially the Old Course fairly close to my heart. 

I'll see if I can find it as it was quite prominent last year due to the Open. 

I'd love to play the course clockwise and keep meaning to ask for one of the course planners showing the layout in the 'original' set-up. 

On their merits, I'd still say the New is the best of the batch on the Links. 

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll see if I can find it as it was quite prominent last year due to the Open. 

I'd love to play the course clockwise and keep meaning to ask for one of the course planners showing the layout in the 'original' set-up. 

On their merits, I'd still say the New is the best of the batch on the Links. 

I think they last did it in 2019. I was in the ballot for it but was unsuccessful 😡😡 

17 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Got a lads trip booked to Praia Del Rey in Portugal later in the year, has anyone been?

Looks braw, always fancied it. We can't drag ourselves away from Costa Calida, still value for money, but creeping up. Is it just D'el Rey, or are you play any of the others in the area, Obidos, West Cliffs and Guardian Bom?

Disser Pointon
3 hours ago, OBE said:

Looks braw, always fancied it. We can't drag ourselves away from Costa Calida, still value for money, but creeping up. Is it just D'el Rey, or are you play any of the others in the area, Obidos, West Cliffs and Guardian Bom?

Playing both PDR and West Cliffs. West Cliffs looks superb. Never done Portugal for golf, always Turkey previously.

On 06/02/2023 at 08:30, Armageddon said:

Such an iconic image changed forever.

Swilken Bridge Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Golf, St. Andrews -  Scotland, Golf Course - iStock

St Andrews releases statement after golf fans MOCK new-look Swilcan Bridge  | GolfMagic

St Andrews releases statement after golf fans MOCK new-look Swilcan Bridge  | GolfMagic

Someone need the gaol for that. 

700+ year old landmark ruined. Just as well they sorted it.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm either here nor there about it.

Don't see the need for the issue.

Entry & exit of the original bridge was narrow, concentrating the wear of the grass. The patios did offer a wider option, especially on exit, who knows, Tommy, thow-shalt-not-weary-wullies-win-again 😥 

On 08/02/2023 at 14:05, Disser Pointon said:

Got a lads trip booked to Praia Del Rey in Portugal later in the year, has anyone been?

Golf is superb. Praia Del Rey is a good course.

West Cliffs is stunning. Voted the best new course in the world around 2018. 

Royal Obidos out there is cracking also

Disser Pointon
13 hours ago, bebeto said:

Excellent. Yes, West Cliffs looks amazing.

13 hours ago, bebeto said:

Did you stay in the hotel at D'el Rey, did you check out the nearest towns and villages for a change of scenery at night, the hotel looks a bit remote?

Just back from a 4 night trip to Murcia Spain.

Played La Serena, Las Terrazas Del Torro, Altaona and Las Ramblas.

Some tough courses made harder with a stiff wind. 

Some good golf and some utter shite golf. Really enjoyed it though and hope to get back out soon.

Las Ramblas is something out of the ordinary. Incredible course. Very tight, very difficult, very high chance of losing balls!!

9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Just back from a 4 night trip to Murcia Spain.

Played La Serena, Las Terrazas Del Torro, Altaona and Las Ramblas.

Some tough courses made harder with a stiff wind. 

Some good golf and some utter shite golf. Really enjoyed it though and hope to get back out soon.

Las Ramblas is something out of the ordinary. Incredible course. Very tight, very difficult, very high chance of losing balls!!

Las Ramblas is a brilliant and quirky track. 

The Par 5 that starts out as a dogleg right then you hit down two different levels and eventually over water 😂😂

44 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Las Ramblas is a brilliant and quirky track. 

The Par 5 that starts out as a dogleg right then you hit down two different levels and eventually over water 😂😂

Lost a ball there. Lost a lot of balls now I think about it. 

Great course. Very very difficult. A level or 5 above my game but well worth going just for the “WTF” factor!

8 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Lost a ball there. Lost a lot of balls now I think about it. 

Great course. Very very difficult. A level or 5 above my game but well worth going just for the “WTF” factor!

I've played it a few times. I recommend leaving your driver in your car boot 😂😂

It's so different from all the other courses in that area though. 

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Lo Romero and Las Colinas is a must if returning to the Murcia area, the later is expensive, but worth every €.

Yeah we considered Las Colinas but it was triple what we were paying for the other courses.

The 5th at las Ramblas just generates balls for the wee Tinker sitting back at the tee. It's a nowt hole with an impossible 35 degree sloping fairway down to the Ravine.

Edited by OBE

When does the new tee system start?. No more womens tee.

If you score consistently over 100, they recommend you play from the red tee.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When does the new tee system start?. No more womens tee.

If you score consistently over 100, they recommend you play from the red tee.

its been like that for ages. Certainly at my club. Just red, yellow and white. Different course ratings and slopes for men and women though. 

Samuel Camazzola
12 hours ago, OBE said:

The 5th at las Ramblas just generates balls for the wee Tinker sitting back at the tee. It's a nowt hole with an impossible 35 degree sloping fairway down to the Ravine.

I think I may have played there. Is it quite near the residential area, Dona Pepa? I recall a Las Ramblas course where some of the surrounding villas had pools carved into the rocks. 

8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think I may have played there. Is it quite near the residential area, Dona Pepa? I recall a Las Ramblas course where some of the surrounding villas had pools carved into the rocks. 

Dona Pepa, Quesada area has La Marquesa GC close buy. Las Ramblas GC is near Villa Martin GC and Campoamor GC, all south west of Torrevieja...Las Ramblas, everything is carved out the rocks/ramblas...could be so much better, they did make it slightly easier a few years back by thing out numerous trees, as mentioned before, driver stays in the bag...:thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
53 minutes ago, OBE said:

Dona Pepa, Quesada area has La Marquesa GC close buy. Las Ramblas GC is near Villa Martin GC and Campoamor GC, all south west of Torrevieja...Las Ramblas, everything is carved out the rocks/ramblas...could be so much better, they did make it slightly easier a few years back by thing out numerous trees, as mentioned before, driver stays in the bag...:thumbsup:

That is the same Las Ramblas I played. Also played Marquesa and Villa Martin. The best on the visit was La Finca. I recall one of the holes had a square green! 

13 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That is the same Las Ramblas I played. Also played Marquesa and Villa Martin. The best on the visit was La Finca. I recall one of the holes had a square green! 

It must be the heat that monkeys with the course designers. Yes, square green. Blind bowl green, it doesn't matter where you place the second shot, always gathers at the bottom. Then there's the green that resembles an ironing board, long and thin with a metre run off all round, bizarre!

Did you have a go at the par 4, 17th over the water at La Finca? winds got to be favourable.

Screenshot (21).png

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, OBE said:

It must be the heat that monkeys with the course designers. Yes, square green. Blind bowl green, it doesn't matter where you place the second shot, always gathers at the bottom. Then there's the green that resembles an ironing board, long and thin with a metre run off all round, bizarre!

Did you have a go at the par 4, 17th over the water at La Finca? winds got to be favourable.

Screenshot (21).png

Yeah, my ball got wet. Wasn't too far away but wasn't going to play conventional. 

I believe La Finca had a 19th 'play-off' hole built but I never played it. 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah, my ball got wet. Wasn't too far away but wasn't going to play conventional. 

I believe La Finca had a 19th 'play-off' hole built but I never played it. 

It had 19 holes in it's infancy. The extra par 3 hole was used when other holes were closed for maintenance. 

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, OBE said:

It had 19 holes in it's infancy. The extra par 3 hole was used when other holes were closed for maintenance. 

👍 It was 2008 I played there and recall the talk of the 19th.

It was Quesada I stayed and remember the Amstel Bar and Laurel & Hardy's. 

Good part of the country for golf. 🏌️ 

12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍 It was 2008 I played there and recall the talk of the 19th.

It was Quesada I stayed and remember the Amstel Bar and Laurel & Hardy's. 

Good part of the country for golf. 🏌️ 

This year, will be our 16th year to the Murcia/Alicante region, was cheap as in 2005. Now that the majority of courses have matured and have decent facility's, they can now command top €. We still use the same hotel in Los Alcazares...4* 7 nights DBB for £250 ( Hotel Costa Narejos). Having to fly into Alicante now, San Javier airport is now closed to commercial flights. The budgets don't fly into Corvera (Murcia) from Edinburgh, shame.

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, OBE said:

This year, will be our 16th year to the Murcia/Alicante region, was cheap as in 2005. Now that the majority of courses have matured and have decent facility's, they can now command top €. We still use the same hotel in Los Alcazares...4* 7 nights DBB for £250 ( Hotel Costa Narejos). Having to fly into Alicante now, San Javier airport is now closed to commercial flights. The budgets don't fly into Corvera (Murcia) from Edinburgh, shame.

Would have been Fly Globespan that flew into San Javier. Its a pity Jet2 are not flying to Murcia from Edinburgh as La Manga, Mar Menor and Cartegena are great places to visit. 

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Would have been Fly Globespan that flew into San Javier. Its a pity Jet2 are not flying to Murcia from Edinburgh as La Manga, Mar Menor and Cartegena are great places to visit. 

Yes, Globespan, that collapse still stinks. Looks like you're familiar with the region also. Our hotel was 6 minutes from San Javier airport, a shoe box, perfect, now we're an hour and a bit from Alicante.

Lo Romero x2, Las Colinas, La Serena & Roda all booked for May. The older we're getting, less we're drinking, our scores are improving considerably, familiarity of the courses also help. I recall, another group from Fife, staying in the same hotel. We got chatting and one of our guy's quipped "He only scored 12 points on the back 9 at Roda" Fife guy replied "I'd bite your hand of for that, I scored ***k all on the same back 9"...holiday golf eh!...:biggrin2: