• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I’m there but collecting nothing :(

Ill be sure to clap that but harder for you 👏🏼

Always next year, or the Winter comps. The buffet's sure to be another winner. :thumb:

Who's but will you be clapping exactly?...:D

On 03/11/2022 at 07:43, OBE said:

Always next year, or the Winter comps. The buffet's sure to be another winner. :thumb:

Who's but will you be clapping exactly?...:D

There was only one obvious Jambo there tonight, well done on your wins 👌🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Beauty of a wee buffet too, pretty fancy 😂

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

There was only one obvious Jambo there tonight, well done on your wins 👌🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Beauty of a wee buffet too, pretty fancy 😂

Thank you, Mr A. Geddon...Prize giving? you've just gotta wear a Maroon top yeh?:sweeet:

You should've came over and said hi...

• 2 weeks later...

Took the trek down to play Winter Stableford at the Glen.

Absolutely ****ing soaked and a tough bloody wind too.

Thought I had decent waterproofs, found out that I don't.

Right through to my kecks, ****ing wringing.

Actually enjoyed it, all the same. My mate won it with 32 points (only 20 turned up):lol:

Anyone played any of the courses at Gloria Golf resort, Belek, Turkey ?

Got a trip booked for March 2023 and looking for any tips or feedback, condition of courses etc

12 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Took the trek down to play Winter Stableford at the Glen.

Absolutely ****ing soaked and a tough bloody wind too.

Thought I had decent waterproofs, found out that I don't.

Right through to my kecks, ****ing wringing.

Actually enjoyed it, all the same. My mate won it with 32 points (only 20 turned up):lol:

I'm assuming this comp was booked a wee while ago/committed. Was it yesterday?

What skins did you have on and I'll avoid?

Well done your mate.

14 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Got a trip booked for March 2023 and looking for any tips or feedback, condition of courses etc

I think that’s where my mate went. Said it’s great. Don’t think you’ll go far wrong at any of them to be honest.

2 hours ago, OBE said:

I'm assuming this comp was booked a wee while ago/committed. Was it yesterday?

What skins did you have on and I'll avoid?

Well done your mate.

Very rarely play in the rain, been very lcky or avoid if I know its tho be heavy.

My bottoms were Footjoy, but have had them for years. 

The Jacket was a cheaper American Golf (Palm Grove) :lol:

Wasn't overly wet up to, but it did still get through.

The course had no surface water other than one green. So it was playable.

We went last month too and weather was shit, but not as bad as yesterday.

Another one on Thursday 15th Dec. Entering it too. On Scottish Golf App if you fancy it.

Third time lucky with the weather, hopefully.:lol:

39 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Very rarely play in the rain, been very lcky or avoid if I know its tho be heavy.

My bottoms were Footjoy, but have had them for years. 

The Jacket was a cheaper American Golf (Palm Grove) :lol:

Wasn't overly wet up to, but it did still get through.

The course had no surface water other than one green. So it was playable.

We went last month too and weather was shit, but not as bad as yesterday.

Another one on Thursday 15th Dec. Entering it too. On Scottish Golf App if you fancy it.

Third time lucky with the weather, hopefully.:lol:

Footjoy bottoms...:thumbs_up:

Palm Grove jacket...:clumshot:Never scrimp on skins...

:biggrin:

18 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

both very good and the Glria Verde is probably the best we have stayed in on our annual trips, not in terms of size and glitz but for quality food, drinks and service.

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Haha this made me proper laugh!

I know Tommy, he's a bright lad, will give him the benefit and say the jacket was from Santa...:thumbsup:

On 18/11/2022 at 14:43, OBE said:

I know Tommy, he's a bright lad, will give him the benefit and say the jacket was from Santa...:thumbsup:

:rofl:

Hope the fat bearded bugger brings me one that keeps me bloody dry this year.

On 22/11/2022 at 05:57, Tommy Brown said:

:rofl:

Hope the fat bearded bugger brings me one that keeps me bloody dry this year.

Don't leave it to chance, get in first...:thumb:

This is the only garb that would've kept you dry at North Berwick on that rainy day...:D

oilskins.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ThehandsofZibi

Broke 100 for the first time today on the west course at Dalmahoy. It’s a short course so not getting too much ahead of  myself hitting 92 but still happy after shooting 123 at Uphall during the week!

14 hours ago, ThehandsofZibi said:

Broke 100 for the first time today on the west course at Dalmahoy. It’s a short course so not getting too much ahead of  myself hitting 92 but still happy after shooting 123 at Uphall during the week!

Good job - 

How many times did you use your putter?   Serious question - 

ThehandsofZibi
9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Good job - 

How many times did you use your putter?   Serious question - 

Not sure exactly. Maybe 2 holes where I putted in 1, probably 3 that I 3 putted and the rest 2. 

23 minutes ago, ThehandsofZibi said:

Not sure exactly. Maybe 2 holes where I putted in 1, probably 3 that I 3 putted and the rest 2. 

That is very very good if you are just breaking 100 for the first time.   

Going forwards, cound how many times you use your putter in a round.  It will help you understand you game better - 

My last round was a scratch 76 and I used the putter 39 times.  For me, that is not good (although, the rest of my game was really good that day).  When I was playing well, I would only have 32 putts or better.  It makes a massive difference. 

If you can shave one putt off per round and get to consistently 36 putts, your scores will drop really quickly. 

ThehandsofZibi
10 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Going forwards, cound how many times you use your putter in a round.  It will help you understand you game better - 

My last round was a scratch 76 and I used the putter 39 times.  For me, that is not good (although, the rest of my game was really good that day).  When I was playing well, I would only have 32 putts or better.  It makes a massive difference. 

If you can shave one putt off per round and get to consistently 36 putts, your scores will drop really quickly. 

That’s a good shout. I’ll definitely do that for future rounds. 
Only started playing in August aged 41 and I’m kicking myself I didn’t start years ago. Im hooked now! 

12 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Bugger aff....the better you get at the game, the more prone you are to 4-putting, never mind 3-putting :lol:

13 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

It's unreal how much putting will affect the end score.

I remember a two round medal last season, both rounds were literally carbon copies of each other tee to green.

First round net 65 with 30 putts, second round net 75 with 40 :lol:

---

The 36 putt thing is great advice too, getting round in 2 putts per hole will seriously help mid-high handicappers score. Too many times you see guys trying to nail distance putts, it's the easiest route to a 3 putt. Always focus on getting that first putt to within a 2ft ring of the hole.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

On 05/12/2022 at 23:44, Bigsmak said:

This is really useful for where I'm currently at (trying to break 90).  Cheers, I'll start keeping a tab on it 👍

Interestingly I reckon my putts per round went up as my scores came down at the more beginner level (>100 to <100). I think it was due to initially i'd miss the green with my pitches then chip closer and never take more than 2 putts, but as I got better I'd hit the green but would be on the edges of it and ended up 3 putting much more.

To get down further I now 100% need to make sure I'm 2 putting again but after having got on in 2 or 3, rather than 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6 🤣)

Edited by Taffin

On 09/12/2022 at 12:24, Taffin said:

This is really useful for where I'm currently at (trying to break 90).  Cheers, I'll start keeping a tab on it 👍

Interestingly I reckon my putts per round went up as my scores came down at the more beginner level (>100 to <100). I think it was due to initially i'd miss the green with my pitches then chip closer and never take more than 2 putts, but as I got better I'd hit the green but would be on the edges of it and ended up 3 putting much more.

To get down further I now 100% need to make sure I'm 2 putting again but after having got on in 2 or 3, rather than 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6 🤣)

Similar to my story. Spent years in the frustrating low hundreds. Spent loads of time on driving lessons and long iron lessons and saved a few shots. But as soon as I had a couple of putting lessons I smashed 100 by 7 shots and now I’m fighting 90 regularly and I’m not really hitting the ball any further or straighter from the tee or fairway than I was. My advice to anyone starting out or struggling to get under 100. 1. Get a putter you feel confident having in your hand. Not that easy because if the variety available 2. Get putting lessons, at least 2 and develop a putting routine. Same routine whether it’s 30 feet or 3 feet. 3. Get some chipping lessons so a chip becomes as good as a long putt for you. You’ll save 5 putts a round if you can chip close from 20 yards off the green

Edited by JimmyCant

There is a school of thought that says golf should be taught from the hole out. Putting first and then move outwards 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

There is a school of thought that says golf should be taught from the hole out. Putting first and then move outwards 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’d agree with that. Loads of guys want to boom a drive 260 yards before they concentrate too much on 6 foot putts. Weird when it’s the same number of shots dropped if you mess one up

Two games of golf cancelled this week, well pissed off.

The Glen Winter Open tomorrow and Winter Srries at Fairmont on Friday.☹️

Talk about rotten luck. GTF frost.

20 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Two games of golf cancelled this week, well pissed off.

The Glen Winter Open tomorrow and Winter Srries at Fairmont on Friday.☹️

Talk about rotten luck. GTF frost.

Fairmont cancelled on Saturday here, cancelled quite early this week too :(

Been lucky enough to win 3 dozen Pro V1s from American Golf but as a high handicapper (28) I not so concerned whether they'll improve my game but whether they'll be detrimental.

I know that sounds a bit odd but I'm often hooking the ball but a change of grip has helped a lot. Will there likely be more spin off of a Pro V1 than my usual Taylormade RBZ softs that might make a bad shot worse?

Edited by Statts1976uk

Get your winnings on eBay, Bud...Lower spinning ball should keep your miss-hits straighter. Find yourself an intermediate ball (>£24) and when you do, stick with it, don't have a bag of mixed balls. I see higher handicappers pull anything out the bag. Different compressions and covers will monkey with your short game...big time, especially the putting.:thumb:

Edited by OBE

I do play better and longer with a better golf ball. Just don't fancy losing them, so I don't use them unless some are kindly donated to me by the rough and trees.

The control from 120 yards around the pin is tremendous. If you can afford them, buy them. Oh and the distance difference is a fair bit. They Change my whole game. 

I had cheap clubs and balls, I got myself a modernish driver and some good golf balls and it brought back the good times(Was about to give up). I've now got masel a good putter and i can't wait to start back properly in April. 

Boxing day I'm hoping to get out after being injured.

Gleddoch House I'm thinking about joining, next season. Looks good, tho I'll need to try it out before I join. Wanted Elderslie, but that's a restricted membership ATM.

Enjoy your game folks!

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Get your winnings on eBay, Bud...Lower spinning ball should keep your miss-hits straighter. Find yourself an intermediate ball (>£24) and when you do, stick with it, don't have a bag of mixed balls. I see higher handicappers pull anything out the bag. Different compressions and covers will monkey with your short game...big time, especially the putting.:thumb:

That's made a huge difference for me last two rounds. Similar to the other poster, I bought RBX softs in yellow. Lost 3 round 1, 2 were extremely bad luck driving into a low sun. Round 2, didn't lose a single one.

Used to just use whatever came out my bag first.

Could be because they're yellow and the leaves down here we're a nightmare, but I do feel (particularly off the tee) I was more consistent.

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I do play better and longer with a better golf ball. Just don't fancy losing them, so I don't use them unless some are kindly donated to me by the rough and trees.

The control from 120 yards around the pin is tremendous. If you can afford them, buy them. Oh and the distance difference is a fair bit. They Change my whole game. 

I had cheap clubs and balls, I got myself a modernish driver and some good golf balls and it brought back the good times(Was about to give up). I've now got masel a good putter and i can't wait to start back properly in April. 

Boxing day I'm hoping to get out after being injured.

Gleddoch House I'm thinking about joining, next season. Looks good, tho I'll need to try it out before I join. Wanted Elderslie, but that's a restricted membership ATM.

Enjoy your game folks!

I’m a bit of the opposite, injured my shoulder in May that curtailed my season. Played a couple times since I recovered in late September and the bug just isn’t there for it.

Gave up my membership and currently doubt whether I’ll renew for next year.

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’m a bit of the opposite, injured my shoulder in May that curtailed my season. Played a couple times since I recovered in late September and the bug just isn’t there for it.

Gave up my membership and currently doubt whether I’ll renew for next year.

Sorry to hear that. I have that with gym. Going back in January and hope your love of golf returns, bud. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry to hear that. I have that with gym. Going back in January and hope your love of golf returns, bud. :thumbsup:

Cheers Ri, I’m sure once the better weather returns and I get back into the habit of going it’ll be different 

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cheers Ri, I’m sure once the better weather returns and I get back into the habit of going it’ll be different 

:thumb:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Do you ever play a JKB open?

We had three outings about 10 years ago! maybe more - 

This was the winners opening tee shot at Dalmahoy - the shorter course! 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What's everyone's opinion on raking bunkers?  

Its supposed to be a hazard, so I think they should be left alone. 

😄

No chance. Golf's hard enough without having to dig one out of someone's shoe print. 

Free relief from divots on the fairway should be an immediate rule change. 

11 hours ago, OBE said:

Great advice, it was one of the things I did when I got the clubs out of their hibernation of a few years. I got rid of the old second hand balls and the lake balls and started buying ones more suited to my game. I started with the Srixon AD333 and then moved to the RBZ soft where I feel that I'm having better results and more control with.

I'm going to keep one dozen of the Pro V1s for the corporate golf days, sell a dozen on Gumtree and because I got them for nothing I'm donating a dozen for my son's high school prize draw in aid of a local food bank. I'm hoping the good karma will be rewarded on the golf course!

Edited by Statts1976uk

If it's quiet behind, I know good spots to find lost balls. Playing early on a Monday morning is ideal for finding all those lost Pro V1's from the Sunday medal :ninja:

I generally don't ever buy golf balls, just good at finding and keeping a stock of decent used ones. I struggle to depart with a couple of quid per ball, especially if I'm playing pish in a medal and I have a couple of holes where a lost ball is more likely. I have pile of brand new balls (stack of Pro V1's) from prizes/gifts I'm keeping good for... **** knows.