Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm changing my SLDR this year. So it's been a "few years" since I've had it. I don't play that regularly; but getting back into it.

Don't get me wrong, I can drive a ball a decent enough distance. I'm just curious as to what performance gains a "newer" club could give me. Especially as there's been a gap. Not the incremental gains of the last 4-5 years, coupled with the price rises to try & justify it.

Will have a look at the Cobra LTDx model, I think. Heard good reviews, & all my drivers previously have been TM's. Nothing else I've seen really suits me.

We've a very good stockist/fitter where I am, so if I'm parting with nearly £300, I'll be getting fitted this time around. My SLDR, I had ten swings of it off the rack in American Golf's simulator. Worked OK for me, tbf.

Might just be my experience but generally it's newer models fitters will fit for.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Barack said:

The Cobra's only a year old? They'll have them still in stock.

Dunno about yours mate. But I know for a fact, the lads down my end aren't going to tell me they're only fitting us for Paradyms or Stealth 2's. 

If they do play funny ****s. I'll grab a demo, go to the trackman bay & make my own mind up.

Then, i'll hand it back, say thank you & **** off & buy it online. 🤷‍♂️😄

Oh don't get me wrong, the boy I went to is a money grabbing hoor :lol:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Oh don't get me wrong, the boy I went to is a money grabbing hoor :lol:

Where are you based?

the guy at Swanston in Edinburgh is very good and honest

went for a fitting for a driver about a year ago. Tested  for 1/2 hour nothing was going any better so he said stick with what you have and didn’t charge for the fitting

think it was more to do with my ageing swing 😟😟😟

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Where are you based?

the guy at Swanston in Edinburgh is very good and honest

went for a fitting for a driver about a year ago. Tested  for 1/2 hour nothing was going any better so he said stick with what you have and didn’t charge for the fitting

think it was more to do with my ageing swing 😟😟😟

I'm in Fife mate. The boy will remain nameless haha.

Heard good things about Swanston.

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm in Fife mate. The boy will remain nameless haha.

Heard good things about Swanston.

Worth the trip if your on the look

15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Worth the trip if your on the look

Be a while before I'm replacing, got the Sim 2 in 2020. Might replace the 3wood though, but probably be an off the rack number, really don't like the Sim 2 3wood I've got, so inconsistent with it. Driver is the total opposite.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Be a while before I'm replacing, got the Sim 2 in 2020. Might replace the 3wood though, but probably be an off the rack number, really don't like the Sim 2 3wood I've got, so inconsistent with it. Driver is the total opposite.

It’s funny that I have had a callaway XR 3 wood for years love it ,had the driver couldn’t hit it for toffee 

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It’s funny that I have had a callaway XR 3 wood for years love it ,had the driver couldn’t hit it for toffee 

It's weird how it works out. Laziness on the part of the fitter I had. He essentially replicated the same shaft on the driver, 3wood and hybrids. I've already sold on the hybrids as I couldn't get any sort of consistency with them. Went back to Callaway. Will probably see if I can pick up a Callaway 3wood this season.

I had a wee knock about on Saturday. I couldn't get the ball to launch at all. The pain was too much, so walked off after 6 holes. 

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, Barack said:

I'm still playing a RAM 3 hybrid I got, as a starter kit in 2005. Arrow straight.

But tbh, I'll have to replace that now too, as the shaft has seen better days.

Happens to us all, eventually. :(

I know how it feels 🙁

At what point do you think you need a new wedge? Face on my 60' is looking tired as I use it in the bunkers a lot, but I still get good spin (usually when I don't want it...) so the grooves must still be fine despite appearance?

I'm thinking of deep cleaning and polishing my clubs if it'll make a worthy difference to longevity and playability (does it help the grooves much?).

18 hours ago, The Gorgie said:

New cobra driver looks nice and considerably cheaper than the calloway.

It reminds me of something from a while back, maybe a Callaway X Hot, TaylorMade R11.

It does look nice!

See the Golf Show is on at Ingliston this year on the 24/25/26 March.

20 hours ago, The Gorgie said:

New cobra driver looks nice and considerably cheaper than the calloway.

Still up about £80 on their last driver though.

9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Still up about £80 on their last driver though.

Yip still very expensive. I bought my F9 driver brand new few years ago and it was £300. Is this new driver £130 better? For 95% of golfers I doubt there would be much in it. 

Edited by The Gorgie

I get the benefit of new clubs versus those >10 years old or older and clubs that have worn out etc but does it really make much difference to those not in low single figures?

Would scratch golfer beat a 15/20 handicapper with the latest gear even if the scratch player was playing with kit from the 70s?

Long way of saying...surely the golfer is the limiting factor for almost all players above low single figures.

Edited by Taffin

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I get the benefit of new clubs versus those >10 years old or older and clubs that have worn out etc but does it really make much difference to those not in low single figures?

Would scratch golfer beat a 15/20 handicapper with the latest gear even if the scratch player was playing with kit from the 70s?

Long way of saying...surely the golfer is the limiting factor for almost all players above low single figures.

No chance.. much better for a beginner to spend all the money on new clubs and equipment.. and not for lessons and practicing.

O wait.. what? 

Edited by Bigsmak

45 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

No chance.. much better for a beginner to spend all the money on new clubs and equipment.. and not for lessons and practicing.

O wait.. what? 

🤣🤣

I sorted defeated my own point as after buying new clubs this year I became a lot better...albeit I played regularly for the first time in my life and after years of mismatched hand me downs I realised they'd been custom fitted to my grandad and were shortened (I'm 6ft2). So in that instance I got a big benefit, I just think if I now bought even better clubs I'd be the same and no better 

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

🤣🤣

I sorted defeated my own point as after buying new clubs this year I became a lot better...albeit I played regularly for the first time in my life and after years of mismatched hand me downs I realised they'd been custom fitted to my grandad and were shortened (I'm 6ft2). So in that instance I got a big benefit, I just think if I now bought even better clubs I'd be the same and no better 

That’s the main reason why you got better.

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

100% yes

15 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

O wait.. what? 

Depends on the situation, I'd say.

I had a shitty set of irons in April 2021 when I first started and needed longer clubs being 6 foot 5. Trying to get a hold of a decent set that were an inch longer at a fair price was a nightmare - they were like hens teeth or extortionate so bit the bullet and got fitted for new irons which I received early September. I did have a couple of lessons in July that year and the instructor was honest and said I'd get nowhere with the clubs that I had. 

13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Some opens booked for 2023.

Duddingston

Ballater

Harburn

Haddington

Dunblane

West Linton

Newburgh on Y’than

Murcar

New ones  for me this year

Goswick, St Andrews New, Lanark

Hoping to get Cruden Bay.

Samuel Camazzola

This looks good... 

30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

St Andrews New is the best of the Links Trust courses in my opinion. 👍 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

They’re all new ones for me too, mostly run of the mill type courses but after missing all of last season I want to get to as many new courses as possible this year.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

All top quality there Tommy

hope you enjoy them 👍

29 minutes ago, merrymac said:

All top quality there Tommy

hope you enjoy them 👍

Did really well last year..  played òver 30 opens. Mostly badly:lol:

Pick of the many new.

Dundonald, Trump, Downfield, Monifieth, Lundin & Scotscraig.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pick of the many new.

You are living the dream there man!

On 14/01/2023 at 10:44, Tommy Brown said:

Pick of the many new.

What order would you place those in?

32 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

What order would you place those in?

Trump, Lundin, Downfield, Monifieth, Scotscraig

other new in order 

Mortonhall, Crieff, Monktonhall, Aberdour, Auchterarder, Thornton, Carnoustie Budden

Was very taken with Mortonhall.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

other new in order 

Mortonhall, Crieff, Monktonhall, Aberdour, Auchterarder, Thornton, Carnoustie Budden

I was asking as I wanted to see where you'd put Trump.  It's spectacular, couple of poor holes mid-way, but everything else is breath taking!

4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I was asking as I wanted to see where you'd put Trump.  It's spectacular, couple of poor holes mid-way, but everything else is breath taking!

Trump was terrific. Got good weather too.

Will play it again.

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

other new in order 

If only Aberdour had another 9 like the original front 9 it would be a brilliant course. 

Surprised you have it over Auchterarder. 

But it's crazy how I played at the weekend, about 15 over par and I feel like I hit the ball great. 2 months without paying though and I couldn't put the ball in the hole. 

Lowlights - 3 putted 3 par 3s.

3 putted the only par 5 from 8 foot for a par. 

Had 3 triple bogies

Other than that, played well. 

Incidentally how much of a **** up have Scottish Golf made of the new system…

I was involved in introducing it at my club and I pulled us out of it. Was clear as day the software wasn’t up to scratch, it was buggy as hell and nowhere near production ready. Luckily it’s my field of employment so the club leaned on my expertise but other clubs blindly went along with it.

Fast forward two years and Scottish Golf have now pulled that software and are having a new platform built. Given their track record I’ve little confidence it’ll be any good. 

29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was involved in introducing it at my club and I pulled us out of it. Was clear as day the software wasn’t up to scratch, it was buggy as hell and nowhere near production ready. Luckily it’s my field of employment so the club leaned on my expertise but other clubs blindly went along with it.

Fast forward two years and Scottish Golf have now pulled that software and are having a new platform built. Given their track record I’ve little confidence it’ll be any good. 

Dump the old software with the new software not ready yet.

:facepalm:

32 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It should be ok as it is the same as used in England, Wales and Ireland where it  seems to work well.

SGU though had to know better and went with a modified system from elsewhere and guess what absolute shambles.Poor app and could not interface with the other unions. God knows how much it has cost to now backtrack and go with this system.

Surprised that they  have not been called out on it more by clubs.

Typical shambles from that useless mob though.

Edited by merrymac

Disser Pointon
On 14/01/2023 at 06:08, Tommy Brown said:

All great courses, we do the Cruden Bay open every year, absolutely stunning, especially if you get it on a good day. In for the Goswick open in May as well.

Disser Pointon
On 17/01/2023 at 12:19, Tommy Brown said:

other new in order 

Surprised to see you put Mortonhall over Monktonhall, I think the latter is far superior.......... But then I'm maybe biased. 🤩

Just now, Disser Pointon said:

Surprised to see you put Mortonhall over Monktonhall, I think the latter is far superior.......... But then I'm maybe biased. 🤩

Monktohall is Slog for me. Bloody long.

Great course.

Played well at Mortonhall other than ballsing up the last 2 when I could have ended 2nd prize.  Thought it was lovely.

Disser Pointon
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Monktohall is Slog for me. Bloody long.

Great course.

Played well at Mortonhall other than ballsing up the last 2 when I could have ended 2nd prize.  Thought it was lovely.

Yes, playing well always influences your opinion of a course, I know that through personal experience! I am by no means a long hitter but I do hit my fairway woods decent so I can find my way round Monktonhall.

30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Dump the old software with the new software not ready yet.

:facepalm:

Exactly. Whole thing has been a disaster from the start.

30 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It should be ok as it is the same as used in England, Wales and Ireland where it  seems to work well.

SGU though had to know better and went with a modified system from elsewhere and guess what absolute shambles.Poor app and could not interface with the other unions. God knows how much it has cost to now backtrack and go with this system.

Surprised that they  have not been called out on it more by clubs.

Typical shambles from that useless mob though.

They’ll probably put the fees up even more…

Disser Pointon

On a slight tangent but golf related. I got one of those metaquest VR headsets before Christmas and the golf + game on it is excellent, especially with a controller club attachment. You can open and close the face, hit draws, fades etc, quite impressed. Wife commented that she's now a golf widow on two fronts!