Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

5 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

Great advice, it was one of the things I did when I got the clubs out of their hibernation of a few years. I got rid of the old second hand balls and the lake balls and started buying ones more suited to my game. I started with the Srixon AD333 and then moved to the RBZ soft where I feel that I'm having better results and more control with.

I'm going to keep one dozen of the Pro V1s for the corporate golf days, sell a dozen on Gumtree and because I got them for nothing I'm donating a dozen for my son's high school raffle in aid of a local food bank. I'm hoping the good karma will be rewarded on the golf course!

Srixon AD333's was a great starting point, value for money right there. Q Star Tour is my current favourite, in short supply ATM, hope they come back online...🤞 

Good that you've found three different home's for the Pro V's.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

I use slazengers from sports direct. 48 for £23. Not as bad when i slice one into the river!!

Start focusing where you want the ball to land, instead of where you don't want it to land...you can thank me later...:sweeet:

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Start focusing where you want the ball to land, instead of where you don't want it to land...you can thank me later...:sweeet:

I’d guess Sooperstar’s pus, so still a missed fairway for Rudi

By The Light..

Talking about quality golf balls it doesn't matter in the winter.

Keep the quality balls for the spring & summer fast running fairways and greens.

I played my home course West Lothian on Sunday and had a HiO with a Callaway Warbird 😃

Plenty of slazengers will do me for the next couple of months. 

My oldest got me some Hearts emblazoned tees, balls(Titliest) and ball marker. The balls will be ornaments.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Plenty of slazengers will do me for the next couple of months. 

My oldest got me some Hearts emblazoned tees, balls(Titliest) and ball marker. The balls will be ornaments.

Put the Slazengers in the bin, they're cheap for a reason. There's bucket loads of quality intermediate premium balls on ebay for shitpence...treat yourself!

Slazengers, ping of the clubface at 100mph around the green, encourages deceleration through the shot. A better ball will have you accelerating through the ball with more control, short game will improve,try it!

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Put the Slazengers in the bin, they're cheap for a reason. There's bucket loads of quality intermediate premium balls on ebay for shitpence...treat yourself!

Slazengers, ping of the clubface at 100mph around the green, encourages deceleration through the shot. A better ball will have you accelerating through the ball with more control, short game will improve,try it!

I'll keep ma good baws till April. I might get a bucket of lake Nike balls fae Amazon.

4 hours ago, OBE said:

i use slazengers. Find them ok. Down to 10.5 and won an open with them. Cant be that bad for our level. 

34 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

i use slazengers. Find them ok. Down to 10.5 and won an open with them. Cant be that bad for our level. 

Off 10.5, playing Slazengers, fantastic!

Your course got predominantly soft greens?

Your Open win, where was that, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by OBE

21 minutes ago, OBE said:

Off 10.5, playing Slazengers, fantastic!

Your course got predominantly soft greens?

Your Open win, where was that, if you don't mind me asking?

nah they play fast and hard in the summer. 

haddington. 

Statts1976uk

Hoping not only for my first round of the year tomorrow but the first round of the festive period! Bloody weather has foiled me at every turn!!

Just been treated to a Cobra F9 3 wood. Just a 7 wood and Gap wedge to get. Then I'll re-grip my clubs for the new season. Cannae wait. 

I was hoping for some consecutive dry days, so I could get a game on Saturday, before starting back work.

Statts1976uk

I'm in the same boat, treated myself to a new set of Honma irons and the course has been closed for the last few days due to the weather.

I'm not wanting to have my first use of the clubs in anger to be the Saturday medal but now I'm back at work it looks like that'll be the case.

Edited by Statts1976uk

On 01/01/2023 at 19:47, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sad to hear that Barry Lane has passed away. Only 62 too! 😔

RIP. 

Sorry to hear that

Was he not playing Senior tour very  recently?

RIP

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sorry to hear that

Was he not playing Senior tour very  recently?

RIP

Yeah. He was competing and winning in the main tour around the mid/late 00s too. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The new Callaway paradym series.

£600 :rofl:You must be mental.

They're all taking the piss. Every year with new releases, I'll take some convincing that they move things on that much every year.

I might pick up a 2022 Rogue ST this year, already down to £250 or so.

Statts1976uk

I was in American Golf a couple of days ago and they had the TaylorMade Stealth down to £229. These were ex-display but most of them still had the plastic on the heads and grips.

received_686767079856311.jpeg

Edited by Statts1976uk
Apologies for the long gap, it won't let me edit it out!!

7 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

I was in American Golf a couple of days ago and they had the TaylorMade Stealth down to £229. These were ex-display but most of them still had the plastic on the heads and grips.

received_686767079856311.jpeg

Statts1976uk
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I ended up getting my irons through this ex-demo sale, I got the Honmas 5-11 irons and only the 7 had been removed from the packaging even then it had been used maybe 2-3 times with not a blemish on the grips or the face.

18 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

I ended up getting my irons through this ex-demo sale, I got the Honmas 5-11 irons and only the 7 had been removed from the packaging even then it had been used maybe 2-3 times with not a blemish on the grips or the face.

I'll hopefully get myself some new irons. I'm going with D, 3, 5, 7 woods P, G, S, L wedges, 5- 9 and Putter, this coming season. Hopefully a mix of Cobra and/or TM, we'll see.

The Hybrid and 3 and 4 irons are going.

Statts1976uk
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'll hopefully get myself some new irons. I'm going with D, 3, 5, 7 woods P, G, S, L wedges, 5- 9 and Putter, this coming season. Hopefully a mix of Cobra and/or TM, we'll see.

The Hybrid and 3 and 4 irons are going.

I think some new woods might be in order next year or if there is another big ex-demo sale. I quite like my TaylorMade RBZ Black driver and not quite good enough to really justify getting a Stealth etc. I think I'll be running with Taylormade D, 3, 5, 7w, Honma 5-11 irons, Cobra 52 and 56 wedges and my trusty Nike Concept Method putter for this year. My putter is getting on a bit but I've always hit it well and I feel confident with it so I'm keeping it in there. I'll probably stick with my TM RBZ Soft balls for most of the year with my freebie Pro V1s the aim to be able to hit properly by autumn.

Edited by Statts1976uk

2 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

I think some new woods might be in order next year or if there is another big ex-demo sale. I quite like my TaylorMade RBZ Black driver and not quite good enough to really justify getting a Stealth etc. I think I'll be running with Taylormade D, 3, 5, 7w, Honma 5-11 irons, Cobra 52 and 56 wedges and my trusty Nike Concept Method putter for this year. My putter is getting on a bit but I've always hit it well and I feel confident with it so I'm keeping it in there. I'll probably stick with my TM RBZ Soft balls for most of the year with my freebie Pro V1s the aim to be able to hit properly by autumn.

👍 Good luck

8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They're all taking the piss. Every year with new releases, I'll take some convincing that they move things on that much every year.

I might pick up a 2022 Rogue ST this year, already down to £250 or so.

Oh careful Liam you might lose a yard in distance and hit it a yard wider than the new 600 quid driver.

Its a big risk :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Oh careful Liam you might lose a yard in distance and hit it a yard wider than the new 600 quid driver.

:rofl:

Exactly. It’s a total con.

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

:rofl:

Exactly. It’s a total con.

Bought a Gen 4 PXG for £199 fitted.

Best driver I ever had not noticeably longer but very straight 

600 quid its getting really silly now, and its a new driver model every year.

Do folk not realise we have been at the performance limits for a number of years now, improvements can only be marginal at best.

32 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I was just in American Golf and got a Cobra LTDx driver, and the boy in there was saying they have a Ping training day tomorrow - he reckons the G430 will be over £500. 

1 minute ago, rossaldinho said:

I was just in American Golf and got a Cobra LTDx driver, and the boy in there was saying they have a Ping training day tomorrow - he reckons the G430 will be over £500. 

its stupid money.

its getting like buying a car, much better with an ex demo or one year old used

save a fortune

Callaway tour  truck fitting event coming to Affordable golf Hillington on the 24th of January. Paradym fitting. 

I might take up the invite.

11 hours ago, merrymac said:

its stupid money.

its getting like buying a car, much better with an ex demo or one year old used

save a fortune

At your level though, you would surely recommend getting a fitting, rather than pulling an ex-demo.

I have never gone that route as I don't pay silly money for clubs (miserable *****).

Went to my pro to go through my woods and hybrids in the swing studio.

I swung that badly, they were all hitting the same distance.

But the likes of myself at 5'8", no way should I have a the same driver length as some someone at 6'2". But generally, you need to know the best shaft to suit your swing speed. I use regular, but my driver bough off a mate is stiff. I will get that sorted before the season starts again.

And to Ball debate.

I do like Prov1 and manage to find enough to never have to buy any, I would never buy anyway. Did buy refurbished before, but never again.

Kirkland from Costco. (£62 for 48)

Titlest Trufeel

TaylorMade Soft response

Callaway Supersoft

Wilson Duo

All the above £20 - £23

The new callaway driver is £600! Crazy money. Having said that I am going to go to club pro and get fitted for a Titleist or Ping driver. My current one is 5 years old and I like the thought of being “tailored” for a new driver. Ping and Titleist release stuff every 2 years so at least it will be newer for longer than TaylorMade or callaway stuff.

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

At your level though, you would surely recommend getting a fitting, rather than pulling an ex-demo.

I have never gone that route as I don't pay silly money for clubs (miserable *****).

Went to my pro to go through my woods and hybrids in the swing studio.

I swung that badly, they were all hitting the same distance.

But the likes of myself at 5'8", no way should I have a the same driver length as some someone at 6'2". But generally, you need to know the best shaft to suit your swing speed. I use regular, but my driver bough off a mate is stiff. I will get that sorted before the season starts again.

I agree Tommy went for a fitting for my last driver PXG gen 4 at £199 fantastic driver 

the thing is I have been for a few fittings over the years so I know roughly what I need anyway so bargains can be had

you could always just change the shaft on your driver if you like the head. lots to be had on tinternet  for good prices if you know roughly what you are looking for 

a bit of time investment is all that is required 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

And to Ball debate.

I do like Prov1 and manage to find enough to never have to buy any, I would never buy anyway. Did buy refurbished before, but never again.

Kirkland from Costco. (£62 for 48)

Titlest Trufeel

TaylorMade Soft response

Callaway Supersoft

Wilson Duo

All the above £20 - £23

Yep interesting debate

normally play a Bridgestone but have been playing a supersoft  over the winter as much easier to compress in the cold weather with my aging swing like them a lot may just carry on in the season

Last season I saw a Titleist ball fitting take place, I still cannot believe the difference in each ball and on a blind test the difference was clear to see. 

The ProV1x for example flew dramatically higher and further, allowing the ball to drop steeper into greens.

I assumed a ball fitting would be a gimmick but chatting through the benefits v the TP5x it makes sense.

I was lucky. I won a comp in september to get fitted for any driver of my choice. So my Stealth only cost me a fiver. Will have that for a few years unless i get lucky again!!

I don't know what to do. My 3 wood was delivered yesterday and the bottom of the grip is a wee bit loose. Do I put a wee bit of black tape around it, glue it or take it to the shop for repair. I'm just a bit worried it my get worse and/or tear, being taken out of the golf bag.

Edited by ri Alban

I don't know what to do. My 3 wood was delivered yesterday and the bottom of the grip is a wee bit loose. Do I put a wee bit of black tape around it, glue it or take it to the shop for repair. I'm just a bit worried it my get worse and/or tear, being taken out of the golf bag.

Is it right at the bottom?

sometimes the tape is not all the way down 

can you turn it up slightly ?as long as you can’t rotate the grip it should be ok

Who makes the best 7 woods? 

My Driver is TM, my 3 and 5 woods are both cobra. 

I would suggest you want your 7 wood to be the same spec as your 3. &5 ( same head same shaft)

Gives you the same feel across the 3 fairway woods

6 hours ago, merrymac said:

Is it right at the bottom?

sometimes the tape is not all the way down 

can you turn it up slightly ?as long as you can’t rotate the grip it should be ok

Just turning up so far. Cheers 👍

5 hours ago, merrymac said:

I would suggest you want your 7 wood to be the same spec as your 3. &5 ( same head same shaft)

Gives you the same feel across the 3 fairway woods.

Cobra it is 👍 I'll probably get masel a Cobra SZ or an F9 Driver. I'm no paying over 400 notes for a driver, ATM. Tho I'd love a new Stealth 2 when I'd appears.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just turning up so far. Cheers 👍

Should be fine then that’s pretty normal 👍

Was looking at getting a new set of irons, still rocking a set of Taylormade MC's from 2011. Went to get a fit trying a few different models but ended up just getting a slight lie adjustment, some MCC grips and what a difference it made. Spending some of the money I had set aside on some lessons. 

£500+ for a driver is just madness. Its the lump of s**t at the end of the shaft that's the issue. The grip end.

On 05/01/2023 at 05:55, ri Alban said:

The new Callaway paradym series.

£600 :rofl:You must be mental.

£600 for a single club :lol:

I'm still out-hitting my mates with a 12 year old Taylor Made R9 driver that I bought for £90.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm changing my SLDR this year. So it's been a "few years" since I've had it. I don't play that regularly; but getting back into it.

Don't get me wrong, I can drive a ball a decent enough distance. I'm just curious as to what performance gains a "newer" club could give me. Especially as there's been a gap. Not the incremental gains of the last 4-5 years, coupled with the price rises to try & justify it.

Will have a look at the Cobra LTDx model, I think. Heard good reviews, & all my drivers previously have been TM's. Nothing else I've seen really suits me.

We've a very good stockist/fitter where I am, so if I'm parting with nearly £300, I'll be getting fitted this time around. My SLDR, I had ten swings of it off the rack in American Golf's simulator. Worked OK for me, tbf.

It is worth getting a proper fitting especially getting the right shaft to optimise carry and roll the head is more about what suits your eye

SLDR had one many pounds ago good driver 

good luck with your search