Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Watching Countryfile just now, all about Balmoral Castle.

It's got a bloody Golf Course.

1. Who the hell plays on it?

2. How do we get a JKB outing on it? :lol:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/09/2022 at 09:03, hmfc_liam06 said:

I had one and tbh once it had properly mapped out my yardages I didn't find it all that worthwhile. As TB says above though, if you want to proper geek out then there's loads of other stats in there.

On 08/09/2022 at 04:08, Tommy Brown said:

As a basic GPS golf watch it works perfectly well as any other watch.

This can be bought as a G3 version for a bit cheaper than your comparable Garmin, Bushmills models.

If you go to a V3 version for £145 , you get a set of sensors that you attach to each club. This allows you to upload your round to your app and see each shot on a gps map. This gives you the shot distance which is mostly what I am interested in.

You can go super geeky, the app will analyse the data into Gir, fairways hit, putt count etc.

Go onto website https://shotscope.com/uk/

Have a good look at what results it gives you. It is well worth the money compared to Garmins and Bushnells.

Screenshot_20220908-040650_Shot Scope.jpg

On 07/09/2022 at 22:57, Armageddon said:

Talk to me about ShotScope, is it worth it?

I'm a massive fan of ShotScope - had the 1 and V2.  Its so important to know your distances, but it also helps with = what % you are hitting right or left, 

Where your Short game is good or letting you down - 

Can also help you just understand course management a bit better when you analyse your rounds.  

Its a really affordable way to have stats that would have been impossible to know only a few years ago.  That Pros spent thousands on hiring people to get for them. 

14 minutes ago, OBE said:

Golf course shut on Monday 19th...:jjno:

And quite rightly so.

Don't want people thinking you're a green grape.

:peepwall:

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

And quite rightly so.

Don't want people thing you're a green grape.

:peepwall:

After all the effort to find a date and time to suit all players in a foursomes tie tae... 

My clubhouse and pro shop are closed but the course is open for those who have booked tees. Does mean there's no one keeping an eye on the starters so could be a bit of a free for all if all the good tees are taken!

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Barack said:

My return to golf, after 4 months, has been far better than expected.

So much so, I'm resolved to get myself a new driver for the new season. And, for the first time in nearly 20 years, an actual handicap.

Get Carnoustie out the way first...

Good to hear. What index have you got to start with? 

Did you make it up to play in the Open at your dad's place (and was Sandy there)? 

I bought masel a TM R1 used driver, just to make sure it was my old driver that's the problem and not me. About 60 yards added to my drive and i hit most fairways. Hitting greens in reg or beside them. 3 putting is costing me about over  a dozen shots, tho. Need to sort that out. But what a difference, I was about to give up. I'll now be investing next year in a top of the range driver.  

Back out the morra.

43 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Anyone aware of any good winter membership deals in the Lothians area? Preferably a links down the east coast. 

I’ll take the same but for West Lothian 

Returned to the course yesterday for the first time since my shoulder nerve damage.

Managed 6 holes before I really started to feel it.

Delighted to be back!

6 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Anyone aware of any good winter membership deals in the Lothians area? Preferably a links down the east coast. 

Think they might be harder to come by this year as most of the clubs have full membership and waiting lists

Winterfield could be a good shout 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyone any good tips on putting?

Hi ri,

I go to this guy for lessons. Great thinker on the game, and this tip makes absolute sense - get the basics right and give yourself a better chance.

Hope it helps

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyone any good tips on putting?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

it can’t be mastered, take the good with the bad. If it gets really bad don’t work on it, buy a new putter instead. 👍

16 hours ago, merrymac said:

Think they might be harder to come by this year as most of the clubs have full membership and waiting lists

Winterfield could be a good shout 

Winterfield is a terrible course. The first hole spoils it. 

45 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Winterfield is a terrible course. The first hole spoils it. 

Never parred it kinda post...:brows:

Edited by OBE

23 minutes ago, OBE said:

Never parred it kinda post...:brows:

Last time I played it I had a snowman type post 🤣😂

shite hole, especially if windy. 

23 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:thumbsup: Thanks everyone. Putting is 😲 Costing me a very good score.

I'd be looking at your stroke type and making sure you have the correct putter type for your stroke (arc = toe hang.  straight back and through = face balanced)

I'd be filming your stroke in slow-mo and seeing what it does pre and post strike (you could be pushing or pulling at impact)

I'd practice like an absolute demon, starting from 3ft until you cannot miss

I too am Tom Kite at putting

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I'd be looking at your stroke type and making sure you have the correct putter type for your stroke (arc = toe hang.  straight back and through = face balanced)

I'd be filming your stroke in slow-mo and seeing what it does pre and post strike (you could be pushing or pulling at impact)

I'd practice like an absolute demon, starting from 3ft until you cannot miss

I too am Tom Kite at putting

Putting green I'm fine. My round , I start doubting myself, then I change my grip, my set up and then the way I putt, from roll to push like a a jab. I used to be good, that's what's bothering me  :(

40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Putting green I'm fine. My round , I start doubting myself, then I change my grip, my set up and then the way I putt, from roll to push like a a jab. I used to be good, that's what's bothering me  :(

Putt in the most comfortable way that you can, i tend to jab my putts, it works,

most times. ok sometimes😏.

27 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Putt in the most comfortable way that you can, i tend to jab my putts, it works,

most times. ok sometimes😏.

I can putt brilliantly with the front edge of a  wedge. My chipping from the edge of the green goes close ever time, I feel I'm better putting my approach just short of the green.  :turmoil:

For practice place a couple of coins behind the ball, Putt with a ball with a line on it and it find a stroke so the line doesn't wobble and you dont hit the coins, the sound of the putter when you get it right will wet yer pants 🤣

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's all in your head. Probably best just giving up tbh.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Stick to watching the Redskins buddy. Be less troublesome on your health...

The Commanders, bud. The Commanders. :whistling:

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Stick to watching the Redskins buddy. Be less troublesome on your health...

I've been away twelve years and I had severe hand(both)injuries 6 years ago. It'll take a bit of time to get back to where I want to be.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've been away twelve years and I had severe hand(both)injuries 6 years ago. It'll take a bit of time to get back to where I want to be.

I'm just pulling your chain, but putting is most definitely all in the head...or that's what I've found with me anyway.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm just pulling your chain, but putting is most definitely all in the head...or that's what I've found with me anyway.

I know you are, bud.

I'll get the putting right and then the Driving will fail.  😂

57 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I know you are, bud.

I'll get the putting right and then the Driving will fail.  😂

I'd def go for a putting lesson, best thing I ever did, definite game changer.

Samuel Camazzola
On 25/09/2022 at 17:24, spirt of 98 said:

Not in the Lothians area but the proposed work on the new Championship Course at The Fairmont has been delayed. This will result in both courses remaining open until into next year. 

Based on previous years, a Winter Series will be run. The deal involves 5 rounds with the best three scores counting towards the Series. Rounds are played over both courses. Top 16 players go forward to a finals day in March. 

Last ont was £150 for five rounds and extra rounds could be purchased. 

On 28/09/2022 at 15:57, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not in the Lothians area but the proposed work on the new Championship Course at The Fairmont has been delayed. This will result in both courses remaining open until into next year. 

Based on previous years, a Winter Series will be run. The deal involves 5 rounds with the best three scores counting towards the Series. Rounds are played over both courses. Top 16 players go forward to a finals day in March. 

Last ont was £150 for five rounds and extra rounds could be purchased. 

Still not any sign of it yet, I hope they have it, pretty doubtful though IMO.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Still not any sign of it yet, I hope they have it, pretty doubtful though IMO.

I was up a couple of days ago. Registration opens next week. £180 for the five rounds and capability of buying additional rounds at a reduced rate once these are used up. 

Series commences 1st November and runs until 28th February. Top 15 are invited to a finals day mid March. 👍 

17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I was up a couple of days ago. Registration opens next week. £180 for the five rounds and capability of buying additional rounds at a reduced rate once these are used up. 

Series commences 1st November and runs until 28th February. Top 15 are invited to a finals day mid March. 👍 

Cheers Sammy 

I will be in