Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

8 minutes ago, OBE said:

Cool...:thumb:

The running commentary of the events from the Club Pro at Edzell are shocking, Martin Dempster from The Scotsman isn't shy with the double page spread on this family, but this shows their true colours!  There are clips of the dad after his son holes a put shouting "Well done ***, keep it going, great time to put the pressure on" and the other boy still has a 3ft putt for a half!  Total shithousery.

If that was an adult comp you'd wrap your putter round the guys head.  One of the locals who walked round is also heard after the chaos telling him "I'd knock **** out of you if I was involved in all this".

Mental!

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

spirt of 98
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

As a fellow low handicapper I find your ignorance of what it takes to be a top golfer and stay there alarming. 
Im in no way supporting the PGA tour or the Dubai Ports tour who have had tournaments in Saudi, Russia and a few other dodgy places, including where both are based. 
I can’t see how LIV are going to help the game grow by having some top golfers playing against lesser lights with no pressure. How is this going to help the game? Dubai for instance have courses but it’s not popular with locals, just folk with cash to go and play. The world doesn’t really need anymore golf courses to be honest. 
Will LIV be happy if their players are playing in the majors or other big tournaments if there’s a clash with their tournaments. 
As I said my big problem is what happens with the Ryder Cup and to a lesser extent the Open, where having to see these LIV players really soured the experience when I was there last Thursday. 
Hooefully it can all be sorted but I can’t see Norman being a part of that. 

I am not ignorant to the level of effort and dedication that it takes to be at the top. My point is Tiger stated that players won’t need to grind to make money as there is no cut and money is paid out to every player.

I am merely pointing out that Tiger was paid 35 million a year by Nike when he used their clubs and clothing. That money was paid out no matter how he played. What the difference?

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I am not ignorant to the level of effort and dedication that it takes to be at the top. My point is Tiger stated that players won’t need to grind to make money as there is no cut and money is paid out to every player.

I am merely pointing out that Tiger was paid 35 million a year by Nike when he used their clubs and clothing. That money was paid out no matter how he played. What the difference?

He wouldn't have kept that contract if he hadn’t worked hard and been successful, these dummies have retired from competitive golf, some of them in their prime. 
Lots of them have told the world it’s all about winning the big tournaments, respecting the history of the game, helping the game to grow. Then drop their knickers at even bigger amounts of money, all a bit unseemly for me. 

12 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He wouldn't have kept that contract if he hadn’t worked hard and been successful, these dummies have retired from competitive golf, some of them in their prime. 
Lots of them have told the world it’s all about winning the big tournaments, respecting the history of the game, helping the game to grow. Then drop their knickers at even bigger amounts of money, all a bit unseemly for me. 

Strictly no falling out in the Golf thread!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Strictly no falling out in the Golf thread!

😂👍🏽.
Your user name is quite apt for what’s happening in our game right now. 

5 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Ian sure golfers are self employed and should be free to join ply their trade where ever they like. 

I missed out PGA. Tiger and Rory are poster boys for the PGA they have made millions from PGA direct sponsorship and endorsements Tiger Woods PGA on Xbox / PlayStation etc Rory’s the same. 

Players have signed up to 4 year contracts with LIV, so not really self employed.

Would you be happy with a Hearts player if he wanted to play for Hibs at the same time?

They had also contracted to play a minimum number of events on PGA tour, which means they would actually need to play more events .

So much for the reduced schedule.

The players are pushing the self employed angle but not strictly the case.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I couldn't possibly.  But if you golf down in East Lothian, you will be well aware of the family.

Yep had some business dealings with the Dad a few years ago 

"bit of an acquired taste" would be putting it mildly :facepalm:

spirt of 98
On 18/07/2022 at 17:56, merrymac said:

Players have signed up to 4 year contracts with LIV, so not really self employed.

Would you be happy with a Hearts player if he wanted to play for Hibs at the same time?

They had also contracted to play a minimum number of events on PGA tour, which means they would actually need to play more events .

So much for the reduced schedule.

The players are pushing the self employed angle but not strictly the case.

I would suggest it’s more like a formula one driver wanting to race in the Indy 500. Not like a player of Hearts wanting to play for Hibs. 

7 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I would suggest it’s more like a formula one driver wanting to race in the Indy 500. Not like a player of Hearts wanting to play for Hibs. 

And how many do concurrently?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He has two of the eight for this year. With 14 events planned for next year, I would not be surprised if the International eventually gets used for a pro event. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He has two of the eight for this year. With 14 events planned for next year, I would not be surprised if the International eventually gets used for a pro event. 

Probably 🤦🏽

spirt of 98
14 hours ago, merrymac said:

And how many do concurrently?

The formula one driver have no reason too. The LIV golfers have millions of reasons.

Listen if you were offered loads of money to do your job for another company you’d do it. As for then asking to work for the other company sometimes. If the demand is there why not.

I really don’t get why people are getting annoyed with LIV. The only ones who should get annoyed is the PGA Tour. 

Why would Formula 1 drivers have no reason? Would they not get paid to drive Indy 500?

Seems strange to use that as an example then?

I am sure the PGA players have to sign a contract which precludes them playing elsewhere without authorisation. In fact the LIV players are signing contracts as employees, so much for the self employed line.

I understand your opinion, but what if you were getting loads of money for your current job, got an offer from a competitor to do a similar job, that may affect your employers viability in the longer term, whilst continuing to work for your original employer, do you think your employer would be happy with that.

I have no problem with players joining LIV, but they should go and play there, they are certainly getting well enough payed , and it offers the lifestyle they all so desperately crave. But no they want to come back and block the path of younger up and coming players who are taking their places. Cake and eat it comes to mind. Fine if they needed the cash but they are all already very rich men a  bit nauseating actually.

They are also proposing massively expensive litigation, which will cost everyone(except the lawyers). I wonder if they would be so keen if they weren't being bank rolled for it.

I am afraid its all a Greg Norman ego trip at the end of the day.

Good chat though, all about opinions at the end of the day👍

25 minutes ago, Callum231 said:

LIV tour sounds like deadbeat dad club. divorced or in debt or both? lets go.

😂😂😂

one of these certainly describes Mickelson

34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Stenson removed as Ryder Cup after going to LIV

A few of my heroes jackets are on a shoogly peg. What was so bad about the established tours and the loveable matchplay events?

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, OBE said:

A few of my heroes jackets are on a shoogly peg. What was so bad about the established tours and the loveable matchplay events?

PGA/DP didn't have to ban them...

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, merrymac said:

Why would Formula 1 drivers have no reason? Would they not get paid to drive Indy 500?

Seems strange to use that as an example then?

I am sure the PGA players have to sign a contract which precludes them playing elsewhere without authorisation. In fact the LIV players are signing contracts as employees, so much for the self employed line.

I understand your opinion, but what if you were getting loads of money for your current job, got an offer from a competitor to do a similar job, that may affect your employers viability in the longer term, whilst continuing to work for your original employer, do you think your employer would be happy with that.

I have no problem with players joining LIV, but they should go and play there, they are certainly getting well enough payed , and it offers the lifestyle they all so desperately crave. But no they want to come back and block the path of younger up and coming players who are taking their places. Cake and eat it comes to mind. Fine if they needed the cash but they are all already very rich men a  bit nauseating actually.

They are also proposing massively expensive litigation, which will cost everyone(except the lawyers). I wonder if they would be so keen if they weren't being bank rolled for it.

I am afraid its all a Greg Norman ego trip at the end of the day.

Good chat though, all about opinions at the end of the day👍

When they get a tour card, there are certain commitments to be fulfilled. 

A couple of years ago, Spieth was facing a suspension as he hadn't played in a certain tournament for a few years (possibly five). He managed to successfully have it withdrawn upon appeal and made an appearance the following season. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, OBE said:

I think the ones that get in early will get bigger pay outs than those that wait or play LIV events if there’s a merger of sorts. 

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

PGA/DP didn't have to ban them...

The threat of a ban might have deterred, but it didn't.

So the rumours were Smith, Scott, Leishman and Fleetwood...

They've announced Kokrak and Howell III... Bit underwhelming that

LIV places are being taken up by guys who are :

Injury prone, step forward Bryson, Brooks, Phil, Dustin et al

Past their best, probably the whole lot of them

Players who cannot live with the young guys coming through the ranks on PGA & to a lesser extent DP Tour

Guys looking to top up their Bank balance with limited fields, no halfway cuts, lower levels of competition, but far bigger purses including rewarding guys for finishing last, not forgetting their “sign on” fees!

A bunch of “has beens or indeed, never wasers” from PGA tour

Lower number of competitions to be played, but want to play in the Majors!

The authorities who run the Majors should just return their Application to play “sorry not accepted” or their invitations to play not sent in the first place,

There is limited press coverage of the LIV events which suggests the golfing public are not really bothered about their events.

The players who decide to join LIV should just be honest and admit they are going to line their back pockets.

Disappointing they are basically turning their back on the people who have aided them over the years including sponsors &  more importantly, the thousands of general golfing fraternity attending the events.

Good bye guys!

Edited by 2205ian

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Adidas and AT&T are expected to buy a LIV golf team for a billion per team.  Mental.

Adidas will probably follow Dustin 

Pasquale for King
On 21/07/2022 at 15:07, Jeff said:

Adidas will probably follow Dustin 

Why though? He’s not that popular with fans, seen him twice at the Open and nobody was following him even when he was number 1. 
As for his personality 🤦🏽

William H. Bonney

Why though? He’s not that popular with fans, seen him twice at the Open and nobody was following him even when he was number 1. 

People only give a shit about DJ because his wife is tidy. 

They sponsor him already so guessing they'll stick with the biggest name on tour

56 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Statement :mw_rolleyes: is worthless without photo's...

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They sponsor him already so guessing they'll stick with the biggest name on tour

Morikawa is their biggest name on Tour really and 8 places higher in the world rankings. 
I think the sponsors, like The Canadian bank will start to drop off if LIV isn’t getting much actual golf coverage. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, William H. Bonney said:

Wayne Gretzky is more famous than DJ or Mrs DJ. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Morikawa is their biggest name on Tour really and 8 places higher in the world rankings. 
I think the sponsors, like The Canadian bank will start to drop off if LIV isn’t getting much actual golf coverage. 

Garcia and Johnson have the biggest contracts by some distance. 

Also, regarding RBC, they paid McIlroy a higher appearance fee for the Canadian Open winner's cheque. 💵 

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry I meant on the Liv tour currently 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Garcia and Johnson have the biggest contracts by some distance. 

Also, regarding RBC, they paid McIlroy a higher appearance fee for the Canadian Open winner's cheque. 💵 

It’s still strange that they would feel the need to sponsor LIV though,they haven’t given the PGA money have they, those two are going to fade into obscurity as Morikawa prospers. Just can’t see the attraction. 
Mcilroy is a much bigger draw than DJ clearly. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Sorry I meant on the Liv tour currently 

Yeah I know mate was just being facetious 🤦🏽

I played Mar Hall today in pretty horrible conditions. Soaked.

Found the course really tough. Bunkers ****ing everywhere. I must have found at least 10 of them (I'd been in 6 through 5 holes), and in the rain it was like trying to slap your ball out of wet concrete. 

They also make you think about every tee shot, with loads of awkwardly placed fairway bunkers, dog legs and even some holes with trees going across the middle of the fairway. I found myself needing to hit a hybrid on most holes to try and avoid danger. 

Wouldn't rush back although I'm sure it's nicer when the weather is good. Anyone else played it?

Edited by Ray Gin

Disser Pointon

Weekend away this week, Seascale open on Saturday and Silloth open on Sunday, both new ones for me but highly rated. Was very fortunate to play The Old Course on Friday past with all the stands still up, managed a respectable net level par off the back tees despite two bad doubles.

20220722_123502.jpg

Edited by Disser Pointon

2 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Weekend away this week, Seascale open on Saturday and Silloth open on Sunday, both new ones for me but highly rated. Was very fortunate to play The Old Course on Friday past with all the stands still up, managed a respectable net level par off the back tees despite two bad doubles.

20220722_123502.jpg

Both excellent very enjoyable courses

hope you get a good couple of days can be a bit wild

Disser Pointon
58 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Some possible showers but not too breezy which is the biggest factor!

Some possible showers but not too breezy which is the biggest factor!

Have a good one👍

10 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

20220722_123502.jpg

Great photo!  Those weren’t the first words I wanted to say, but I’ll avoid the ban thanks :)

Disser Pointon
9 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Great photo!  Those weren’t the first words I wanted to say, but I’ll avoid the ban thanks :)

Lol, I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who is a member.

Samuel Camazzola

Henrik wins this week's LIV event on his first outing. $4m is a nice wee earner for his team coming second. Will go nicely with his bumper signing on fee. 🤑🤑🤑

Bit suspicious that Henrik won after playing shite for years. 

joins liv, removed as captain then wins his first event. 😂

Disser Pointon
On 25/07/2022 at 14:35, merrymac said:

Silloth was excellent, will definitely return. Seascale was good as well but the enjoyment was tempered by horrific weather, soaked through after just 3 holes.

Silloth was excellent, will definitely return. Seascale was good as well but the enjoyment was tempered by horrific weather, soaked through after just 3 holes.

yep pretty exposed on that coastline if its wild.

Worth going back to both IMO

Disser Pointon
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

yep pretty exposed on that coastline if its wild.

Worth going back to both IMO

Definitely. Plan to do the same trip next year.