Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

neal-jambos

I never post on this thread but i'm looking to play 36 holes with my mates on a weekday the start of next month and was wanting to see if anyone had any recommendations of two decent courses that are fairly close to each other. Ideally they'd be within about an hour from Edinburgh and fairly cheap (roughly £70 combined).

All the obvious places with 2 courses like Gullane and Dalmahoy are more than we are looking to pay so thinking about courses within about 20 mins of each other like Hirsel and Duns, Kings Acre/ Broomieknowe and Royal Musselburgh, Deer Park and Pumpherston or that sort of thing.

I've not played many of the courses in West Lothian or Fife so any suggestions would be great. cheers

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

I never post on this thread but i'm looking to play 36 holes with my mates on a weekday the start of next month and was wanting to see if anyone had any recommendations of two decent courses that are fairly close to each other. Ideally they'd be within about an hour from Edinburgh and fairly cheap (roughly £70 combined).

All the obvious places with 2 courses like Gullane and Dalmahoy are more than we are looking to pay so thinking about courses within about 20 mins of each other like Hirsel and Duns, Kings Acre/ Broomieknowe and Royal Musselburgh, Deer Park and Pumpherston or that sort of thing.

I've not played many of the courses in West Lothian or Fife so any suggestions would be great. cheers

The Fairmont at St Andrews have two courses on site. The Torrance course was used for last week's DP World Tour event and the recent Final Qualifying for the Open. 

In terms of cost, you'd need to contact them or check to see what rates Golf Now are offering. 

Two great courses with tremendous greens. 🏌️ 

In 

neal-jambos
22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Fairmont at St Andrews have two courses on site. The Torrance course was used for last week's DP World Tour event and the recent Final Qualifying for the Open. 

In terms of cost, you'd need to contact them or check to see what rates Golf Now are offering. 

Two great courses with tremendous greens. 🏌️ 

In 

Cheers. I looked at it and it’s about £180 for 36 holes. One of the guys plays off 20 and wants to get a bit better before he spends that on green fees. 

Hopefully play some courses up St. Andrews next year or if there are any good deals in October or November. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Cheers. I looked at it and it’s about £180 for 36 holes. One of the guys plays off 20 and wants to get a bit better before he spends that on green fees. 

Hopefully play some courses up St. Andrews next year or if there are any good deals in October or November. 

The Strathtyrum course on the St Andrews Links is a good course for all levels of play. Playable and not punishing and built on the same piece of land as the more famous (and pricier courses). They also have a 9 hole course (The Balgove) Should this be convenient. St Michael's is about a 15 minute drive away too. 

Charleton Golf Club is worth a round and have affordable fees. You'll find a host of courses not too far from there but the ones which will be outwith your intended budget will be Dumbarnie Links, Crail and Lundin. 👍 

neal-jambos
8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Strathtyrum course on the St Andrews Links is a good course for all levels of play. Playable and not punishing and built on the same piece of land as the more famous (and pricier courses). They also have a 9 hole course (The Balgove) Should this be convenient. St Michael's is about a 15 minute drive away too. 

Charleton Golf Club is worth a round and have affordable fees. You'll find a host of courses not too far from there but the ones which will be outwith your intended budget will be Dumbarnie Links, Crail and Lundin. 👍 

I’ll look into them. Cheers mate 

rossaldinho
10 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

You've got St Michael's and Drumoig that are about 5 minutes down the road from each other. Both really good courses and should get a decent price during the week. I'm still working on my handicap and they didn't beat me up too badly so your mate should be fine. 

GolfNow has Drumoig between £25 and £35 for a weekday round and St Michael's at £25 today as an example.

neal-jambos
31 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

You've got St Michael's and Drumoig that are about 5 minutes down the road from each other. Both really good courses and should get a decent price during the week. I'm still working on my handicap and they didn't beat me up too badly so your mate should be fine. 

GolfNow has Drumoig between £25 and £35 for a weekday round and St Michael's at £25 today as an example.

I didn't even look north of St. Andrews but that's a good shout. Cheers.

hmfc_liam06
16 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Not too far over the bridge but you could play my place (Lochgelly) for around £20 giving you £50 to play with for your second course. Could play Dunfermline/Aberdour/Balbirnie for that no bother.

neal-jambos
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not too far over the bridge but you could play my place (Lochgelly) for around £20 giving you £50 to play with for your second course. Could play Dunfermline/Aberdour/Balbirnie for that no bother.

Yeah we played Lochgelly last year on your recommendation and it was decent. That could be another option with one cheap round and one more expensive one. Cheers

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, neal-jambos said:

Yeah we played Lochgelly last year on your recommendation and it was decent. That could be another option with one cheap round and one more expensive one. Cheers

You'd get the Fife Golf Trust courses for similar costs as Lochgelly. Although to be perfectly honest, I'd only play Dunnikier from their roster of courses. Folk seem to love Kinghorn, but I've never been a fan.

Im a member at broomie and its a nice course. Kings acre is a great course too. I actually wanted to join kings acre but the £1000 joining fee put me off.

What about Haddington and Castle Park? in East Lothian.

Deer Park and Pumphy is also a good call.

Try Golf Now website, you will probably pick up a deal for your PM round.

neal-jambos
15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

What about Haddington and Castle Park? in East Lothian.

Deer Park and Pumphy is also a good call.

Try Golf Now website, you will probably pick up a deal for your PM round.

Half of us are based in East Lothian so we've played Haddington and Castle Park a few times already this year and fancied somewhere different or that would've been a good shout. I'm scarred from Haddington after a 10 on the 14th, then a 6th on the 15th cost me at their open last month. I was playing about 5 under my handicap until then. 

My mates a member at Dunbar so usually we play there and winterfield but fancied somewhere different.

Yeah i've been looking at golf now. Cos we aren't doing it for another few weeks there isn't many options yet but seems like unless they have a mid-week medal most should be good to book the day before. 

6 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Half of us are based in East Lothian so we've played Haddington and Castle Park a few times already this year and fancied somewhere different or that would've been a good shout. I'm scarred from Haddington after a 10 on the 14th, then a 6th on the 15th cost me at their open last month. I was playing about 5 under my handicap until then. 

My mates a member at Dunbar so usually we play there and winterfield but fancied somewhere different.

Yeah i've been looking at golf now. Cos we aren't doing it for another few weeks there isn't many options yet but seems like unless they have a mid-week medal most should be good to book the day before. 

OK 👍

In West Lothian - Harburn, Bathgate and Greenburn are all decent and within driving distance.

Peebles and Cardrona ( check Cardrona have got their greens sorted first).

A little further  and Glenbervie and Falkirk Tryst would be a good combo nice and flat for a 36 holer 😂

neal-jambos
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

OK 👍

In West Lothian - Harburn, Bathgate and Greenburn are all decent and within driving distance.

Peebles and Cardrona ( check Cardrona have got their greens sorted first).

A little further  and Glenbervie and Falkirk Tryst would be a good combo nice and flat for a 36 holer 😂

Cheers mate. I'll look into them all.

I played Cardrona twice before covid and it was great but i've seen loads of complaints in the last year saying it is a mess with nobody really saying it has improved. I'd need a buggy doing that in a 36 holer 😂 Last year I played Duns and Roxburghe in the same day and could hardly walk by the end.

4 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Cheers mate. I'll look into them all.

I played Cardrona twice before covid and it was great but i've seen loads of complaints in the last year saying it is a mess with nobody really saying it has improved. I'd need a buggy doing that in a 36 holer 😂 Last year I played Duns and Roxburghe in the same day and could hardly walk by the end.

Bathgate and Pumphy might suit then, both pretty flat

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Within Edinburgh, Liberton, Swanston and Duddingston are within a close proximity of each other and should offer decent rates. All are good courses IMO. Craigmillar Park and Prestonfield are nearby too not as good as the ones previously mentioned. Prestonfield gets a bit samey in the middle section. 

neal-jambos

Cheers everyone. I only started playing 2 years ago at the start of covid but this has shown me how little I know of the courses around here. 

Need to start playing some new places. 

hmfc_liam06
32 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Cheers everyone. I only started playing 2 years ago at the start of covid but this has shown me how little I know of the courses around here. 

Need to start playing some new places. 

Golf Now is great for getting to new places.

What I will say is avoid hot deal times if you can, the clubs see no revenue from those times. They receive 80% of all other bookings on there.

It's often worth a phone call to the clubs and asking them to price match, then they get 100%.

neal-jambos
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What I will say is avoid hot deal times if you can, the clubs see no revenue from those times. They receive 80% of all other bookings on there.

It's often worth a phone call to the clubs and asking them to price match, then they get 100%.

Yeah I sometimes use it to get a rough idea of places or prices then check their website direct where they usually have more times. 
I’ve noticed quite a few places drop their green fees 2 days before so we wait last minute before booking if it doesn’t look like a busy course. 

On 04/08/2022 at 09:07, hmfc_liam06 said:

I booked Scoonie the other week on golf now booked a 2 ball normal time they kept the time up with the remaining 2 spaces able to be booked.

They used to do this with hot deals I turned up once to play and the boy in club house told us we were going out with another 2 ball.

William H. Bonney
21 minutes ago, Faded Seat said:

I booked Scoonie the other week on golf now booked a 2 ball normal time they kept the time up with the remaining 2 spaces able to be booked.

They used to do this with hot deals I turned up once to play and the boy in club house told us we were going out with another 2 ball.

I played the merchants on Thursday and we got a bit of grief of the boy in the pro shop for booking through golf now.

He claimed they shouldn't be on the app anymore. We were double booked. 

10 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

I played the merchants on Thursday and we got a bit of grief of the boy in the pro shop for booking through golf now.

He claimed they shouldn't be on the app anymore. We were double booked. 

That’s got nothing to do with you. The club should be in contact with the website. It comes through right away to the course from golf now. Wouldn’t be surprised if the pro shop were at it to get a couple of members out who may play that time regular 🙄 keeping them sweet.

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, Faded Seat said:

That’s got nothing to do with you. The club should be in contact with the website. It comes through right away to the course from golf now. Wouldn’t be surprised if the pro shop were at it to get a couple of members out who may play that time regular 🙄 keeping them sweet.

He claimed that they asked to be removed from the app 2 years ago. I felt that if they really wanted to be off the app they could've done it. Course was dead too. 

21 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

He claimed that they asked to be removed from the app 2 years ago. I felt that if they really wanted to be off the app they could've done it. Course was dead too. 

Yeah and as if you were the only golfers to book via the app in the last two years 😂

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Faded Seat said:

That doesn’t surprise me with Golf Now. They have a helluva business model, I’ll give them that - give clubs the BRS booking system but in return punt tee times on Golf Now.

For a free product, BRS doesn’t half cost golf clubs a fortune in lost revenue.

59 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That doesn’t surprise me with Golf Now. They have a helluva business model, I’ll give them that - give clubs the BRS booking system but in return punt tee times on Golf Now.

For a free product, BRS doesn’t half cost golf clubs a fortune in lost revenue.

Did golf now take over tee of times ? 

when it was tee of times it was quite good bit of an incentive using them every round you booked you got points . I’m sure I eventually racked up enough points to get a free round. 

hmfc_liam06
57 minutes ago, Faded Seat said:

Did golf now take over tee of times ? 

when it was tee of times it was quite good bit of an incentive using them every round you booked you got points . I’m sure I eventually racked up enough points to get a free round. 

Aye. So the deal is they give clubs BRS and in return get access to the booking sheet, which they populate Golf Now with.

The also get a few tee times per day (Hot Deal) which they claim 100% of the revenue.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good marketing especially for smaller clubs. A club near me ditched it in favour for the new Scottish Golf system and their green fee income plummeted.

Samuel Camazzola

For anyone looking to play the Fairmont, look to organise it within the next couple of months. Greens are immaculate following last week's DP  World Tour event. 

Work on the new course will be starting in the coming months therefore, the Kittocks will be closing (along with the closing three holes of the Torrance). 

When the new Championship course opens, it's going to targeted at the same tourist clientele which are attracted to Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie etc... £250+ a round! 😳

Anyone have any experience of the cobra F9 or SZ extreme. I've my eye on them and would like to know if they're any good. 

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyone have any experience of the cobra F9 or SZ extreme. I've my eye on them and would like to know if they're any good. 

Had the F9 driver and still have my F9 5 wood. Rick Shiels reckons it's one of the best drivers ever made.

On 02/08/2022 at 22:58, neal-jambos said:

I’ll look into them. Cheers mate 

What about Alyth and then Strathmore?  You could stay in Blairgowrie.

On 11/08/2022 at 19:28, ri Alban said:

Tom Watson is just class.

Still gutted he didn't win that playoff.

I'm a bit to young to have really known a great deal about Tom Watson but he comes across as a class bloke

PGA players starting to bottle it. I like Tiger, but Tiger is yesterday's man, who has earned plenty. I wouldn't be basing my decision on anything he had to say.

Hoping to get a round in at the end of September. Injury has made decent progress, so going to attempt a short 9 holes or even the wee par 3 course at Wellsgreen driving range.

Patrick Reed is not very likeable and that’s regardless of the Golf Channel pundit’s views on him that he’s suing for something like $700m over :laugh:

Have any of you fine folks ever played match play against the course? Thanks Liam from golf mates, it gives me a new way of playing on my own.

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Have any of you fine folks ever played match play against the course? Thanks Liam from golf mates, it gives me a new way of playing on my own.

Aka a “bogey”.

We have a bogey medal each year as part of our fixture list.

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aka a “bogey”.

👍

23 hours ago, ri Alban said:

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aka a “bogey”.

Nearly 50 years of playing golf, I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Nearly 50 years of playing golf, I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Match play against the course . If you birdie or better, you win the hole, par it, you half it and if you bogey or worse you lose the hole. 

The course is scratch against your handicap.

Edited by ri Alban

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Match play against the course . If you birdie or better, you win the hole, par it, you half it and if you bogey or worse you lose the hole.

Hmm, with those rules, I doubt, I haven't or ever will beat a course.

This post was my usual lame attempt at humour. I also could not get a smiley to load.

Edited by Tommy Brown

30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hmm, with those rules, I doubt, I haven't or ever will beat a course.

This post was my usual lame attempt at humour. I also could not get a smiley to load.

You'll do fine with shots against the course.