Porteous

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Carter said:

He's brimming with self confidence. If you're going to defend on your 18 yard line and you want someone to face the play and header things he'll do ok. Play a high line and have him on the turn facing his own goal and he's floundering.

He's forever gesturing to opponents to beat it. You'd think he's played 600+ games at the highest level when you watch his antics and demeanor.

He's a prick.

Totally agree, you can imagine the more experienced players asking him who the **** he thinks he is.
Destined for the Championship and obscurity where the Scottish press can’t give him eternal praise anymore. 

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Naisys Tackle

• Wee Mikey

• Pasquale for King

40 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Hickey was.  Porteous was just surprisingly not a disaster and played well.  

One in the eye for those who wanted him to fail, hoped he would fail or thought he would fail. For a debut at this level and this importance of match he did good, not brilliant, not MOM, a couple of wee positional errors which he got away with, as did other players on the night but otherwise he was solid enough as a back up.

He is absolutely an annoying cheating little shit and an obnoxious bully off the field but he has some qualities as a football player.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Was he really that good tonight? Not seen any highlights yet, but they were absolutely creaming themselves about him on the SFP.

I dislike the guy but think he could be a decent player If he cut the shite out his game.

periodictabledancer
2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Was he really that good tonight? Not seen any highlights yet, but they were absolutely creaming themselves about him on the SFP.

I dislike the guy but think he could be a decent player If he cut the shite out his game.

He made a crucial tackle to stop a goal scoring chance that VAR reckoned was a penalty (it wasn't). He had a couple of WTF moments through inexperience. 

For a debutant, he did well but the praise for him was well OTT in my opinion.

At one point we had three defenders playing with a total of less than ten caps between them. He played his part , he earned his plaudits but he wasn't Maldini or Canavarro. 

Unlike Hickey , who was simply superb. 

The boys a knob, but he won a lot of tackles, interceptions and headers last night. His passing was not particularly ambitious, but he didn’t make any critical mistakes with it. He finished with high accuracy stats. 

The game suited him as he had better players than normal covering him and he was tasked with being the aggressive defender when a lot of traffic was coming our way. Hendry, Hickey and Gordon were there to allow him to attack anything that came near him. Clarke provided good conditions for him. 

Don’t see that form continuing for Hibs. The players around him are not the same, the management is not the same and the opponents know him better. Plus he plays to the Hibs crowd like a WWE heel. Being in Scotland camp away from his bammy mates probably also helped. 

File und Leigh Griffith scoring against England. Can be a Hibs douche and do well in blue without ripping a whole in the space-time continuum. Probably just speeds up his departure and the inevitable Hobo recruitment failure. 

Hickey MoM but Porteous was very good. Anyone saying he wasn't needs to remember he was wearing a Scotland top and not a hibs one last night 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 hours ago, Hansel said:

His contracts up at the end of the season, maybe we could try and get him on a pre contract deal?

::troll::

You at wind up.

LochcarronJambo
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Hickey MoM but Porteous was very good. Anyone saying he wasn't needs to remember he was wearing a Scotland top and not a hibs one last night 

This is where I am, I didn’t want him in the team, but he had a good game thankfully

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Porteus fun fact, last night was the first game he has completed without faking a head injury

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

He is absolutely an annoying cheating little shit and an obnoxious bully off the field but he has some qualities as a football player.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Yip. 

5 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Hate the guy but last night he was playing for my country and he stepped up to the mark.  

This. I had The Fear when I saw him in the team, but by all accounts he played very well. Credit where it’s due, and anyone in a Scotland shirt will get my unconditional support.

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

One in the eye for those who wanted him to fail, hoped he would fail or thought he would fail. For a debut at this level and this importance of match he did good, not brilliant, not MOM, a couple of wee positional errors which he got away with, as did other players on the night but otherwise he was solid enough as a back up.

correct, was decent second half

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Hate the guy but last night he was playing for my country and he stepped up to the mark.  

Exactly, ridiculously churlish and doesn't make you any more of a Hearts fan to say otherwise. Great team performance, with the Hearts head on, nobody did any better than Gordon or Hickey, but given the week that it had been and with several running on empty on their 3rd hard shift, unfair to criticise, they all put their bodies on the line and did their country proud.

Been very cynical over the national team, the last qualification was as convoluted and backdoor as you can get, however they are showing great qualities mentally as well as physically and the level of ability is increasing as the age comes down. 

More than a good deal of light at the end of what seemed a never ending tunnel

He had a decent enough match, much as it sticks in my craw to say that.  He did all that was required of him, but certainly not the Man of the Match.  Interestingly the Evening News talked him up giving him the same rating as both Gordon and Hickey.  No surprise there. He’s not signed a new contract for Hibs, so they”ll be using their pals in the EN and Scotsman to project Porteous as being world class in the hope of getting a fee for him in the next window.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

He had a decent enough match, much as it sticks in my craw to say that.  He did all that was required of him, but certainly not the Man of the Match.  Interestingly the Evening News talked him up giving him the same rating as both Gordon and Hickey.  No surprise there. He’s not signed a new contract for Hibs, so they”ll be using their pals in the EN and Scotsman to project Porteous as being world class in the hope of getting a fee for him in the next window.

They will struggle, same situation as we had with Souttar, without the experience Souttar had. 500k at best I think. Cheeky bid from ourselves, just for fun :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Porteus fun fact, last night was the first game he has completed without faking a head injury

Did he not get pulled down when the boy was on a yellow, thought about staying down, then ironically got right back up. Idiot should have stayed down :)

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think not playing for Hibs made him just do the basics as well as he could. He thinks he’s some sort of Libero at Hibs but in the Scotland team he does at least seem to know his place.

Hickey, however, was man of the match by a distance.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

The Old Tolbooth

I thought for the first half hour he looked like a total bombscare, lost his man countless times and almost cost us dearly, if one of those had went in, it was on him, that said, he grew into the game and had a decent second half, which might just earn him his free transfer away from the Dingles in January. 

Hickey was everywhere, that laddie is different class, he's going to be better than Robertson and Tierney and play at the very top of the game, he can play both sides and look so natural on either foot, a superstar in the making! 

Craig Gordon however was man of the match, he could save the pound that man!! Utter legend!! 

Ex member of the SaS

Think he is a total prick but have to admit he did ok. Hickey was a standout. Porteous had a decent game but how often can he put in such a performance? We need players to produce EVERY game not just because it's his first and he it trying out his skin to impress. 

For me it's a toss up between Big Craig and Hickey for MoM. the big guy did as he always does, so it's hard to say he was outstanding in this game, just his usual run of the mill performance, that shows he is definitely one of the top keepers in the UK. ( if not the top )

Ex member of the SaS

They are having a laugh. just read the Scotsman's player ratings and they have Craig on 8 along with Porteous and Hickey but Jack Hendry on 9. 

just shows what the boy can do when not dragged down to the hibs level. needs to get away from the culture down that way (Cummings finally seems to be doing that) and concentrate on his game.

glad he did well from a scotland PoV but I can't see him not returning to type with the scum

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

Porteous fun fact, last night was the first game he has completed without faking a head injury

This :)

He did have a great tackle near the end, but it was also a tackle that's a penalty given where he came from, he's a far better player with better players around him to keep him focussed.

28 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

They are having a laugh. just read the Scotsman's player ratings and they have Craig on 8 along with Porteous and Hickey but Jack Hendry on 9. 

Firstly on Gordon, any other keeper gets a 9 but because he does this week in and week out they seem to almost take it for granted now.

As for the rest I tend to agree with the marks I thought Hendry was outstanding in all the games. He had Porteous Hickey and Steve Clarkes Love Child next to him last night and he held the back line together. For all the plaudits Porteous is getting Hendry covered for him on a number of occasions.

I’ll hold my hands up and say Hendry is a far better player than I thought.

A back line of a fully fit:

Hickey Souttar Hendry Tierney Robertson 

would be outstanding for Scotland.

Malinga the Swinga

Played okay last night although he totally lost man in first half when Gordon came to rescue.

No doubt having other players constantly talking to him, getting him to concentrate and focus helped as well as having better players all around him restricting the possibility of him being left 1 v 1.

Hickey and Hendry best outfield players though.

Hopefully Hendry's breakthrough will mean the end for Hanley, who has surely reached retirement from internationals. Honestly think if he had played we would have lost.

His discipline last night  is as much an insight into the officiating standards in Scotland as anything else. Some players know they can get away with so much in this country. Stuff that would get picked up in a Sunday morning  amateur league

Edited by Riccarton3

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Played okay last night although he totally lost man in first half when Gordon came to rescue.

No doubt having other players constantly talking to him, getting him to concentrate and focus helped as well as having better players all around him restricting the possibility of him being left 1 v 1.

Hickey and Hendry best outfield players though.

Hopefully Hendry's breakthrough will mean the end for Hanley, who has surely reached retirement from internationals. Honestly think if he had played we would have lost.

I think you have a valid point in as much as he thinks he is the big dog at Hibs, where as last night he had better players keeping him in check and keeping him focused. Left to his own devices he would wander around and expect others to do his job for him.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

They will struggle, same situation as we had with Souttar, without the experience Souttar had. 500k at best I think. Cheeky bid from ourselves, just for fun :)

Not quite, he’s under 24 so will get a development fee of sorts, has only a couple of caps less than Souttar and has probably played more games  already because he’s not a crock. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I think you have a valid point in as much as he thinks he is the big dog at Hibs, where as last night he had better players keeping him in check and keeping him focused. Left to his own devices he would wander around and expect others to do his job for him.

Even on the highlights you see him wandering around and then moaning at others even when he was nowhere to be seen. Yarmolenkos chance for instance. 

6 hours ago, XB52 said:

+1

Decent game for him. I felt Ukraine looked passive and lacked any intensity in comparison to what they were months ago. 

It ended up a pretty easy ride, really.

The difference is when Porteous is put under pressure constantly on the SPL.

Eventually you get a flap or rush of blood.  

Nelly Terraces
33 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Don’t care he’s still a hibs ****

Well played Sir. Totally agree. **** him. And **** the club he plays for. 

HEARTS ONLY. :wub:

28 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Well played Sir. Totally agree. **** him. And **** the club he plays for. 

HEARTS ONLY. :wub:

This x a trillion....

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This 

F48BB1B8-E3C3-4C78-9EAF-567DD2C720AA.jpeg

He was also 1st in overcommitting and getting beat on the turn but that’ll get glossed over by the Sellick minded BBC, Hibsman and other press.

Good recovery tackles and good game in general in terms of the basics, the boy certainly knows when to launch it. But there were certainly chances conceded where he’d over committed, 1 in particular which was a woeful miss by the striker, Porto had pressed, got turned, exposed the through ball between Hendry and Hickey, and the boy with the eventual chance blazed it over the bar when he was in acres of space. 

17 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Said it before, he’s a good defender when the game is played in front of him. Turn him and he is as good as most guys plying their trade in the Scottish Championship. Glad he did well tonight though.

Yeah first half was not good but did well second half. His lack of acknowledgement to Gordon for bailing him out was pathetic. That aside showed he was an able back up if we play defensively. Nowhere near man of the match though. 

2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This 

F48BB1B8-E3C3-4C78-9EAF-567DD2C720AA.jpeg

As for this…… 😴😴😴😴

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Yeah first half was not good but did well second half. His lack of acknowledgement to Gordon for bailing him out was pathetic. That aside showed he was an able back up if we play defensively. Nowhere near man of the match though. 

As for this…… 😴😴😴😴

Obviously a little biased but I thought Gordon was the MoM, or possibly Hickey. I thought Gordon made some extremely solid saves (as always) but also Hickey put his body on the line constantly and had £50m rated Mudryk on toast. 

Greg Taylor is miles and miles away from international quality. I think Ralston at RB and Hickey at LB would have made more sense. I'm sure he's a great lad that trains hard, but not international quality IMO. Akin to watching Stephen O'Donnell. 

Porteous gave a good account of himself, I thought he was nervy in the first half but settled in the 2nd. When he made that slide tackle in the box my heart sank. Diving in like that in the box is crass stupidity in modern football. A half decent forward can turn that into a penalty claim. IMO he's too hot headed/ lacks the sort of judgement managers at the top level need to be able to rely on. He's a lot better than he's given credit for, but 100% a step down from McKenna and Hendry (who bailed him out big time too). 

On the whole, its nice to see our 3rd string defence can still hold up to a decent sides attack.