Porteous

Tom Hardy’s Dug

43 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Port Vale.   The only English League team not named after a place.

I wondered about QPR and Forest Green, but they're both named after areas right enough. We have a few, st Johnstone, St mirren, Celtic, the Rangers, Hibs.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Naisys Tackle

• Wee Mikey

• Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Sure about that ?

I only stumbled on their name as a reference to the Valley of Trent and Mersey canals. The original discussion related to derby games that take place in the Scottish and English leagues. All pretty straightforward apart from the Stoke derby.I thought Arsenal was an exception until I looked it up 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I wondered about QPR and Forest Green, but they're both named after areas right enough. We have a few, st Johnstone, St mirren, Celtic, the Rangers, Hibs.

Is Hibernia not a place? 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is Hibernia not a place? 🤷‍♂️

I suppose, but a completely different place from where the team's based, so you could argue they're named after a people. But **** 'em, strike them off all the lists for all I care.

25 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I only stumbled on their name as a reference to the Valley of Trent and Mersey canals. The original discussion related to derby games that take place in the Scottish and English leagues. All pretty straightforward apart from the Stoke derby.I thought Arsenal was an exception until I looked it up 

"Vale are the only English Football League club not to be named after a place; their name being a reference to the valley of ports on the Trent and Mersey Canal"

Is it just me or does that make it sound a bit like they're named after a place?

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I suppose, but a completely different place from where the team's based, so you could argue they're named after a people. But **** 'em, strike them off all the lists for all I care.

🤣. I was being a tad pedantic. 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Oddly St Johnstone are named after a place, Perth. It’s nickname used to be St John’s Toon after an archaic name for Perth. 

26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

"Vale are the only English Football League club not to be named after a place; their name being a reference to the valley of ports on the Trent and Mersey Canal"

Is it just me or does that make it sound a bit like they're named after a place?

Yes basically they are . Used to live next door to Vale Park (Wembley of the north) but never checked out their name

Albion Rovers is the weirdest one . Susie Dent just taught me that Albion comes from an old word for Britain , named after the white cliffs in the Deep South . Apparently Brighton and Hove adopted it first for obvious reasons . No idea what the white geological features of Coatbridge are ……………. may be refers to the pasty faced wee neds ? Or maybe their founder had a wee white dug named Rover

7 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Won't be too long before we see him pushing trolleys for Asda😅

More likely Tesco, as that's the big one near Dalkeith.

8 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Won't be too long before we see him pushing trolleys for Asda😅

Running in to parked cars and trolleys and throwing himself to the ground holding his head .................... where there is blame there is a claim 

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Oddly St Johnstone are named after a place, Perth. It’s nickname used to be St John’s Toon after an archaic name for Perth. 

“St John’s Toun” is the town’s original name, I believe. I gather the name was changed in a fit of Reformation “zeal”…

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Running in to parked cars and trolleys and throwing himself to the ground holding his head .................... where there is blame there is a claim 

🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Albion Rovers is the weirdest one . Susie Dent just taught me that Albion comes from an old word for Britain , named after the white cliffs in the Deep South . Apparently Brighton and Hove adopted it first for obvious reasons . No idea what the white geological features of Coatbridge are ……………. may be refers to the pasty faced wee neds ? Or maybe their founder had a wee white dug named Rover

Coatbridge is very staunch.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Ooh, nice fact.  Like that 'un

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

IIRC they're the result of a merger between Albion and Rovers

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

IIRC they're the result of a merger between Albion and Rovers

Interesting . Just had a wee look my self and that is correct . Can not find any info on why the original Coatbridge team Albion FC were so named though  

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Interesting . Just had a wee look my self and that is correct . Can not find any info on why the original Coatbridge team Albion FC were so named though  

Doesn't their badge have a rose on it? That could represent something to do with england or lancashire, although it doesn't seem to with Bonnyrigg or Linlithgow

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Doesn't their badge have a rose on it? That could represent something to do with england or lancashire, although it doesn't seem to with Bonnyrigg or Linlithgow

A Rose and what looks like two cutlasses in a sort of Raiders cross behind it . Cutlasses would suggest the sea , but they are about as inland as you can get in the central belt ......................... such a strange club full of enigmas and contradictions 

• 2 weeks later...

On his way to Ibrox according to Jim Duffy.  Refused a “good offer” from Hibs and has no intention of remaining there. No doubt a pre contract signed January followed up by a low offer before the window closes.  The bile and hatred will be something to behold.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

On his way to Ibrox according to Jim Duffy.  Refused a “good offer” from Hibs and has no intention of remaining there. No doubt a pre contract signed January followed up by a low offer before the window closes.  The bile and hatred will be something to behold.

From what set of supporters? :lol: 

One of their own

postage-stamp

Probably do well away from Hibs.  Everything and everyone does well when away from that club tbh

3 minutes ago, postage-stamp said:

Probably do well away from Hibs.  Everything and everyone does well when away from that club tbh

Except Tam McManus

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

It’s funny. The day after getting berated for signing a “Hearts quality” centre half at the AGM, reports come in of Wilson going for a “Hibs quality” centre half 🤣 please let it be true

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Both no doubt. Going to be fun to watch.

They play at Ibrox next week.  If they drop Porteous it looks a good possibility. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Which Rangers is he off to, Cove or Berwick? 

Apparently the Plastic ones according to Jim Duffy.

On 28/11/2022 at 20:49, Smithee said:

A bit of useless info Smithee, courtesy of Stuart Cosgrove.

Perth was originally named St John's Toun

Which became St Johnstone.

Wiki

During much of the later medieval period, it was known colloquially by its Scots-speaking inhabitants as "St John's Toun" or "Saint Johnstoun" because the church at the centre of the parish was dedicated to St John the Baptist.[9]

An acquaintance of mine who is a hibs fan said 'it would make footballing sense to move there, Cash, Trophies, likelihood of more caps. Also he is better than all the CB's they currently have'

😃

Edited by waterboy11

4 hours ago, Deevers said:

I hope so as it weakens both Teams.  He is utter gash and no way good enough for the Huns.

All the Huns I know totally hate Porto.  If true this is going to be fun to watch.

If that's the standard of defender the rangers are signing we should be aiming for second. 

He wouldn't get a game for us. He's truly woeful. 

48 minutes ago, indianajones said:

If that's the standard of defender the rangers are signing we should be aiming for second. 

He wouldn't get a game for us. He's truly woeful. 

100% 👍. If true then it’s obvious that the sevco manager isn’t signing players. A bit like Hubs. 
car crash clubs that deserve each other

Edited by 1971fozzy

Naisys Tackle
46 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

Been told tonight that he spent Monday/Tuesday in London 🤔 he if decently not going to the rangers 👍🏻

Good move for him if he can get a move to Leyton Orient. 

52 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

Been told tonight that he spent Monday/Tuesday in London 🤔 he if decently not going to the rangers 👍🏻

Wouldn't be the first time the hun have done business away from prying eyes in London, can't remember who I've read that about before.

I'd be quite happy for him to go to the hun, he's a liability.