What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

I am currently taking a film course and we have been introduced to the work of Lillian Gish, who was one of the great silent screen actresses and stars. She was a pioneer in silent screen acting and also produced films, which was rare for a woman to do then. She made many, now classic silent films.  Sadly, she has now been " cancelled" due to her participation in the now notorious film   " Birth of a Nation" 1917. The lily-livered students at her hometown university have campaigned successfully for her name to be removed from one of its cinemas auditoria.  Just no respect really or any understanding of history as such. Just witch hunts. Apparently, it's all about progression. 

https://www.altfg.com/film/lillian-gish-bowling-green-university/

( unsure why the font went red ?  maybe Ms Gish ghost !! 

R (2).jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I am currently taking a film course and we have been introduced to the work of Lillian Gish, who was one of the great silent screen actresses and stars. She was a pioneer in silent screen acting and also produced films, which was rare for a woman to do then. She made many, now classic silent films.  Sadly, she has now been " cancelled" due to her participation in the now notorious film   " Birth of a Nation" 1917. The lily-livered students at her hometown university have campaigned successfully for her name to be removed from one of its cinemas auditoria.  Just no respect really or any understanding of history as such. Just witch hunts. Apparently, it's all about progression. 

https://www.altfg.com/film/lillian-gish-bowling-green-university/

( unsure why the font went red ?  maybe Ms Gish ghost !! 

R (2).jpg

She’ll always have the glory of being rhyming slang though. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

She’ll always have the glory of being rhyming slang though. 

:) First time i actually ever heard about it was due to this. My old grandad was a right old character and when he had had a few drinks he would say " im away for a Lillian Gish"...

Our tutor did ask us when we first were introduced to " Ms Gish"? .  I know my audience so didn't repeat the above story at that lecture.  :) 

Watching a youtube video the other day, (some food review), anyway the host comes out 

with a cracker, Kleenex tissues have removed the mansize slogan on their product, obviously

that was hurting some folk, :facepalm:just gone total crazy now.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Watching a youtube video the other day, (some food review), anyway the host comes out 

with a cracker, Kleenex tissues have removed the mansize slogan on their product, obviously

To you this is an obvious example of woke?

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

You saying its not, and your opinion is ? 

A company changed their branding.

I've only seen evidence of one person being upset so far, and that's you 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

To you this is an obvious example of woke?

Seems a good example of wokery to me if it’s been removed due to causing perceived offence🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, JimBett365 said:

Seems a good example of wokery to me if it’s been removed due to causing perceived offence🤷🏻‍♂️

And where has this been suggested, apart from in HP's mind?

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A company changed their branding.

I've only seen evidence of one person being upset so far, and that's you 🤷‍♂️

Im not upset , more amazed at this , seems like your more upset at me having the cheek to mention it. 

1 minute ago, JimBett365 said:

And what are we saying? A company that chooses to make changes to it's branding is assumed to be woke?

So what is woke? Being considerate? Being conscious of the changing demands of the market?

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Im not upset , more amazed at this , seems like your more upset at me having the cheek to mention it. 

I'm not at all upset

Just now, Taffin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45899784

It does seem a good example of woke in that sense of the word tbh.

Ok so into my next post

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

And what are we saying? A company that chooses to make changes to it's branding is assumed to be woke?

So what is woke? Being considerate? Being conscious of the changing demands of the market?

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Making enough posts about it, seethin more likes.

Not my style. I started the thread, still no one has said what woke actually is.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

If it was done for that reason then yes. No idea if it was. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

If it was done for that reason then yes. No idea if it was. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Woke is being considerate and conscious of the changing demands of the market?

Well **** me, if that's what people get upset about, then they're the arseholes.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ok so into my next post

It means different things to different people as has been stated a few times already.

It started out about not being a dick. Now it's become a bit more about those who are easily offended like the Kleenex example and the one I used before...the fireworks thread.

If their market was men who wanted big tissues before, I'm not sure how changing the product to no longer target them is changing to meet a demand.  It's changing as those not in that market were unhappy going by that article.

Edited by Taffin

Just now, Taffin said:

It means different things to different people as has been stated a few times already.

It started out about not being a dick. Now it's become a bit more about those who are easily offended like the Kleenex example and the one I used before...the fireworks thread.

What do you mean easily offended like the Kleenex example? Is HP woke then?

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Woke is being considerate and conscious of the changing demands of the market?

Well **** me, if that's what people get upset about, then they're the arseholes.

Wokery for me means political correctness gone mad. People who seek to be offended by everything should not be pandered to imo.

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What do you mean easily offended like the Kleenex example? Is HP woke then?

What do you mean? It's quite obvious what I mean, the people complaining that a product is targeted at a gender. 

I've no idea, what have HP done beyond making computers?

You're asking people what woke means and then disputing it without saying what it means to you. If you don't want to know other people's view on it, why ask?

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Wokery for me means political correctness gone mad. People who seek to be offended by everything should not be pandered to imo.

Ah, political correctness gone mad, now we're getting somewhere.

So it's stuff you don't personally care about but others do.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

What do you mean? It's quite obvious what I mean, the people complaining that a product is targeted at a gender. 

I've no idea, what have HP done beyond making computers?

You're asking people what woke means and then disputing it without saying what it means to you. If you don't want to know other people's view on it, why ask?

It doesn't mean shit to me except there are gammons whining.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It doesn't mean shit to me except there are gammons whining.

😂😂

It's people whining about others whining in fairness. If folk in general whined less, the world would be a better place imo.

What next, dogs moaning they're not allowed to eat cat food due to the branding?

Just now, Taffin said:

😂😂

It's people whining about others whining in fairness. If folk in general whined less, the world would be a better place imo.

What next, dogs moaning they're not allowed to eat cat food due to the branding?

How uptight do you have to be to care if Kleenex have changed their branding to suit their customer base?

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

How uptight do you have to be to care if Kleenex have changed their branding to suit their customer base?

Very; about the same as someone who cares it said "man-size". 

The whole thing is pathetic. I like herbal essences, does it bother me that the advertising is aimed at females? Does it make me feel I can't buy it or that the don't 'see me'? Or that I must somehow be feminine? Not in the slightest.

Edited by Taffin

On 02/08/2022 at 16:49, Ray Gin said:

Ah yes, bigots will consider anything that is politically correct or inclusive of other cultures as being "woke nonsense".

This

Used by the right to justify arseholery

15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ah, political correctness gone mad, now we're getting somewhere.

So it's stuff you don't personally care about but others do.

By definition it’s things that “woke” people care about. I’m thick skinned and the vast majority of things that annoy me tend to annoy a lot of people.

On 06/11/2022 at 01:38, A Boy Named Crow said:

Old joke from this side of the world.. 

When the Poms (English) are coming over for the Ashes,  how do you know which plane they're on?

When it parks at the gate and shuts down the engines,  the loud whining continues!

I had no idea Aussies refered to Gingers as Rangs. Short for orangutan. :rofl: That's a belter.

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I had no idea Aussies refered to Gingers as Rangs. Short for orangutan. :rofl: That's a belter.

See if you can track down Summer Heights High for more australianisms, very funny

Just now, Smithee said:

See if you can track down Summer Heights High for more australianisms, very funny

I heard it on the radio today. I was pishing masel. :rofl: 

il Duce McTarkin
51 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m looking forward to Black Friday next week 

Might need some man sized kleenex afterwards.

Dick Dastardly
On 12/11/2022 at 14:12, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m looking forward to Black Friday next week 

Are you self identifying as Robinson Crusoe now? 

millerjames398
On 12/11/2022 at 13:33, Smithee said:

Chris lilley a genius,,summer heights high, was different class, really really funny 😂

38 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Are you self identifying as Robinson Crusoe now? 

Let’s just say I had a spring in my step to the match when this handsome man played !

9769961A-C944-4984-95BE-02A9A924F7E1.jpeg

E65BE1BC-51BE-4B14-9D1E-F4DDF92A0E52.jpeg

Dick Dastardly
43 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Let’s just say I had a spring in my step to the match when this handsome man played !

I wish he'd had a spring in his step when he played 

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I wish he'd had a spring in his step when he played 

I meant Larry 

D0FE8EEA-8E1D-4B9C-BFB0-4BFFE43A22B8.jpeg

1 hour ago, millerjames398 said:

Chris lilley a genius,,summer heights high, was different class, really really funny 😂

Jonah was fantastically well done, in black face too. When he was getting dragged out of class it would make a stone heart feel something. Australian of the year was his first, it took me ages to track down. The introduction of Daniel and Nathan, superb! 

I went off his more recent stuff, but when he gets it right he's brilliant

millerjames398
11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Jonah was fantastically well done, in black face too. When he was getting dragged out of class it would make a stone heart feel something. Australian of the year was his first, it took me ages to track down. The introduction of Daniel and Nathan, superb! 

I went off his more recent stuff, but when he gets it right he's brilliant

It was absolutely genius..gumboot college😖😂 I mean wtf, the drama teachers play, to pay homage to the life of a pupil who died of an extacy overdose, was just crazy🤯😂😂😂

millerjames398
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

"Shut that door"😂

6 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

It was absolutely genius..gumboot college😖😂 I mean wtf, the drama teachers play, to pay homage to the life of a pupil who died of an extacy overdose, was just crazy🤯😂😂😂

My name is Mr G

3 talents, 1, 2, 3

Meow

Meow meow meow meow

2 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

"Shut that door"😂

I liked him . Always made me laugh . Never came out as gay incredibly 😂