What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Words have exact definitions though, why is this one hard to define?

In the absence of something more specific, it sounds like anything that doesn't fit in to how gammons see the world. 

Undoubtedly. So what does it mean now?

Different things to different people, your post above exemplifies it, "gammon" now means something it never did to some.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Different things to different people, your post above exemplifies it, "gammon" now means something it never did to some.

Aye, words change, of course, but that's not what this thread's about.

What does woke mean?

People get raging about it, so surely they can say what it is.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

What does woke mean?

It'll mean different things to different people.

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

What does it mean to you Smithee?

It doesn't mean anything to me, that's why I don't complain about it, and why I started the thread.

What does it mean to people who use it? Specifically, mind.

A Boy Named Crow
31 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Words have exact definitions though, why is this one hard to define?

In the absence of something more specific, it sounds like anything that doesn't fit in to how gammons see the world. 

Undoubtedly. So what does it mean now?

It's maybe different in the UK, but my experience is that "woke" is a word used almost exclusively by "gammons", to deride those they don't agree with. 

Thunder and Lightning
On 05/11/2022 at 19:40, Ulysses said:

More than 40 years ago, my English class at school had a teacher who liked to portray himself as being whatever the "down with the kids" of the era was called.  Middle-class, well-read, with a lot of views that would have been seen as a bit trendy and liberal in what was a grey, dull and very conservative Ireland.

One day, for reasons that are too complicated to go into, the discussion in class referenced Oscar Wilde.  One of the lads noted that something on the course had notes about meaning that didn't make reference to Wilde's sexual orientation, and went on to say that in Ireland it wouldn't be wise to refer to that in the exam.

Cue apoplexy from our hip and trendy English teacher.  Almost purple with rage, he lectured us for 10 minutes about how vile and disgusting Wilde was, and how unacceptable and filthy homosexuals were.  He finished his rant by telling us he never wanted to hear such gross perversion mentioned in his class again.

When he was finished, another fella in the class asked "Wilde was a homosexual.  It influenced his writing.  Why is it not OK to say that?"

His reply?  "It is evil.  It should never be discussed.  If we let it be discussed, where will it end?"

So, James, when you ask "where will it end?", you're on his side, not mine. 

Internet things that didn't happen #352893665

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It doesn't mean anything to me, that's why I don't complain about it, and why I started the thread.

What does it mean to people who use it? Specifically, mind.

It must mean something to you or why start a thread?

3 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's maybe different in the UK, but my experience is that "woke" is a word used almost exclusively by "gammons", to deride those they don't agree with. 

That's certainly how it appears

8 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Internet things that didn't happen #352893665

Will go down as one of the most pompous and condescending posts ever on this forum . Pitiful 

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

What does woke mean?

Seems to be a spectrum of meanings and it’s defined differently for different purposes. I’ve seen it used to describe people displaying what are (imo) simple, decent human kindness and empathy. I’ve also seen it used to describe people being extremely easily offended. 

7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Will go down as one of the most pompous and condescending posts ever on this forum . Pitiful 

It’s his opinion. Deal with it🤷🏻‍♂️

38 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

I’m sure he can stick up for himself without you getting your oar in.  

FDB85097-6F53-4647-85AC-833A32455DBF.gif

47 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Come on, it was a ridiculously arrogant post.

49 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m sure he can stick up for himself without you getting your oar in.  

FDB85097-6F53-4647-85AC-833A32455DBF.gif

Just my opinion 👍🏻

40 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Come on, it was a ridiculously arrogant post.

Doesn’t matter how arrogant, offensive, obnoxious or condescending a post is. It’s just an opinion so anything goes. Apparently🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Doesn’t matter how arrogant, offensive, obnoxious or condescending a post is. It’s just an opinion so anything goes. Apparently🤷🏻‍♂️

You can put a point across without be so overtly arrogant as Ully was, opinion or not.

19 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You can put a point across without be so overtly arrogant as Ully was, opinion or not.

Of course you can. Stating it’s just your opinion covers a magnitude of sins though.

Francis Albert
On 06/11/2022 at 11:24, JudyJudyJudy said:

Only thread I can think of where to place this . Wearing a poppy should be a choice , not compulsory and no one should be condemned for not wearing one . Military fought and died for free speech and democracy ( at least that’s what I hope they did ) . This issue crops up every single year 

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/paul-mescal-graham-norton-show-poppy-20221105?source=facebookstatic&fbclid=IwAR0YOGp7YGZU7HK1vGcYhpSP6K7_IzddfXaiXpKiBxQs3a3t5ZY1oUkuT_8

We were just talking today about whether the whole poppy thing had gone too far and for far too long. No-one who fought in WW1 is still alive. Few have any memory of anyone who died. Yet we have poppy decorations in the streets accompanied by images of trench warfare. While memorials to WW2 like that to Bomber Commend in Piccadilly and Churchill in Parliament Square, representing a  morally much  more noble enterprise, are routinely defaced.

And what about the victims of the Napoleonic wars and countless other historic conflicts.

7 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Of course you can. Stating it’s just your opinion covers a magnitude of sins though.

The point I think was that that the post was ridiculously arrogant?

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We were just talking today about whether the whole poppy thing had gone too far and for far too long. No-one who fought in WW1 is still alive. Few have any memory of anyone who died. Yet we have poppy decorations in the streets accompanied by images of trench warfare. While memorials to WW2 like that to Bomber Commend in Piccadilly and Churchill in Parliament Square, representing a  morally much  more noble enterprise, are routinely defaced.

And what about the victims of the Napoleonic wars and countless other historic conflicts.

Its just a govt run franchise to glamorise war and warfare.  I feel for those soldiers who gave their lives but for what?  Mostly young working class people on either side. 

10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The point I think was that that the post was ridiculously arrogant?

Maybe but he’s entitled to his opinion. Why get upset about someone else expressing their opinion?

7 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Maybe but he’s entitled to his opinion. Why get upset about someone else expressing their opinion?

"James, if you had five lifetimes you still wouldn't have enough time to climb over or walk around the total quantity of what I know, so stop with the silly questions."

That's hardly an opinion is it??!! That's pure arrogance.

Edited by Dawnrazor

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

"James, if you had five lifetimes you still wouldn't have enough time to climb over or walk around the total quantity of what I know, so stop with the silly questions."

You may perceive it as arrogance but it’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it. It may be true for all we know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There has to be a bit of self-awareness when you post online on places like this. You can’t go about decrying certain posts or posters as arrogant, pompous or labelling them as woke or virtue signallers then use the defence that you’re merely stating your opinion if you then don’t allow others the same luxury.

Far too many precious posters who need to develop a thicker skin imo. Everyone has an opinion on just about everything. That’s life. Deal with it. Throwing shade about then weeping when some comes back is hilarious. 😄

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Its just a govt run franchise to glamorise war and warfare.  I feel for those soldiers who gave their lives but for what?  Mostly young working class people on either side. 

The whole poppy thing is overdone even  more so now than when victims and relatives of WW1 were still alive. The imagery is mostly of WW1. But WW2 was relatively a war of, if not  good, at least against much more worse.

42 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

👍

30 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The whole poppy thing is overdone even  more so now than when victims and relatives of WW1 were still alive. The imagery is mostly of WW1. But WW2 was relatively a war of, if not  good, at least against much more worse.

Yes I suppose world war 2 was more just than others conflicts . I can see that . I think what would be much better for veterans would be good after care , including counselling . I know several ex army, including an ex who have ptsd , and or drink and related issues . It’s a massive issue . 

5 hours ago, JimBett365 said:

You may perceive it as arrogance but it’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it. It may be true for all we know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There has to be a bit of self-awareness when you post online on places like this. You can’t go about decrying certain posts or posters as arrogant, pompous or labelling them as woke or virtue signallers then use the defence that you’re merely stating your opinion if you then don’t allow others the same luxury.

Far too many precious posters who need to develop a thicker skin imo. Everyone has an opinion on just about everything. That’s life. Deal with it. Throwing shade about then weeping when some comes back is hilarious. 😄

Stating it was arrogant and condescending is surely just an opinion then too? I don't think anyone has said he shouldn't be allowed to say it.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Stating it was arrogant and condescending is surely just an opinion then too? I don't think anyone has said he shouldn't be allowed to say it.

Absolutely, that’s my point 👍🏻

15 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Absolutely, that’s my point 👍🏻

Lol, wut?!? Then you're just doing the same; labelling folk because they shared their opinion 🤣😂

I'm lost on this thread.

On the topic, what is woke? For me it's just not being a dick, but in the pejorative sense, the fireworks thread is a great example of it.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Lol, wut?!? Then you're just doing the same; labelling folk because they shared their opinion 🤣😂

I'm glad others picked up on this, you couldn't make it up🤣🤣🤣

Yep 👍

A Boy Named Crow

We need more ignorant and condescending posts in my opinion 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

57 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I’ve not labelled anyone. I’m saying it has to be one thing or the other. Either it’s:

1. all opinions and anything goes 

or

2. posters can call out arrogant or offensive posts/posters but have to accept when others do the same to them.

Some want the best of both worlds. For me only number 2 makes a good online discussion space. 

Uly’s post was clearly a bit arrogant. I was being facetious to make my point.

21 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

I’ve not labelled anyone. I’m saying it has to be one thing or the other. Either it’s:

1. all opinions and anything goes 

or

2. posters can call out arrogant or offensive posts/posters but have to accept when others do the same to them.

Some want the best of both worlds. For me only number 2 makes a good online discussion space. 

Uly’s post was clearly a bit arrogant. I was being facetious to make my point.

You are making a mountain out of molehill . I called out his comments . That was it . I wasn’t saying people shouldn’t post at all . I wasn’t screaming and shouting . I made my view clear and that was that . Well it should have been . 

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You are making a mountain out of molehill . I called out his comments . That was it . I wasn’t saying people shouldn’t post at all . I wasn’t screaming and shouting . I made my view clear and that was that . Well it should have been . 

It’s not just a one off though. There’s a few posters, yourself included, who get really upset at other people’s posts. Based on what you post, you get just as easily upset by other people’s actions/comments offline. At the same

time though you display those exact same behaviours and comments then justify it by saying it’s just your opinion.

If you’re going to give it out, learn to take it. Live and let live. The world would be a far better place if more people did and so would online spaces like this.

3 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

It’s not just a one off though. There’s a few posters, yourself included, who get really upset at other people’s posts. Based on what you post, you get just as easily upset by other people’s actions/comments offline. At the same

time though you display those exact same behaviours and comments then justify it by saying it’s just your opinion.

If you’re going to give it out, learn to take it. Live and let live. The world would be a far better place if more people did and so would online spaces like this.

How do you know I get “ upset “ ? Again marvellous powers you have to be able to read into my postings that I am

” upset “ ! Naw I don’t think so . You say 

“ live snd et live “ yet poked your nose into my argument with Ulluye or however it is spelt. So take your own advice . 

19 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

How do you know I get “ upset “ ? Again marvellous powers you have to be able to read into my postings that I am

” upset “ ! Naw I don’t think so . You say 

“ live snd et live “ yet poked your nose into my argument with Ulluye or however it is spelt. So take your own advice . 

You’ve posted angrily about lots of things. Things you’ve seen online and things you’ve experienced offline. Too many to mention.

You seem a bit upset again just  now. Don’t be. It’s just my observation. I spend most of my time in the Terrace and see a number of posters who do the same over there. 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

You’ve posted angrily about lots of things. Things you’ve seen online and things you’ve experienced offline. Too many to mention.

You seem a bit upset again just  now. Don’t be. It’s just my observation. I spend most of my time in the Terrace and see a number of posters who do the same over there. 👍🏻

Stop trying to gaslight me , I’m not upset at all . 

now toddle along . Some of us have work to do . 

A779FA0B-E557-42BE-B5D5-00B8E4B29B9E.jpeg

Ffs the guy made one post, can we get over it now?

James is sound enough, but go look at his hundreds of posts on the COVID thread if you want pompous and condescending.

A little self awareness would go a long way here, none of us are perfect.

18 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Stop trying to gaslight me , I’m not upset at all . 

now toddle along . Some of us have work to do . 

A779FA0B-E557-42BE-B5D5-00B8E4B29B9E.jpeg

Sorry for any upset caused. Just an observation 👍🏻

18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ffs the guy made one post, can we get over it now?

James is sound enough, but go look at his hundreds of posts on the COVID thread if you want pompous and condescending.

A little self awareness would go a long way here, none of us are perfect.

Exactly, everybody has faults. Unfortunately not everybody has self-awareness.🤷🏻‍♂️

Souness Being his usual arse hole self ! 

“ I ran a Protestant institution in Glasgow”   Didn’t know he was a minister ? 

😂😂

God bless James McLean 

ps it’s the same story every year 

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/james-mcclean-graeme-souness-366408?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=JOE.co.uk&utm_campaign=feed&fbclid=IwAR3MwK5_hyhpWHCxnPa4wsU99mNTBkZwbOrE8sBTsSmx1ijgBwkSfy-au3c#la85iyi4sh6ci23012r

44 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Souness Being his usual arse hole self ! 

“ I ran a Protestant institution in Glasgow”   Didn’t know he was a minister ? 

😂😂

God bless James McLean 

ps it’s the same story every year 

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/james-mcclean-graeme-souness-366408?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=JOE.co.uk&utm_campaign=feed&fbclid=IwAR3MwK5_hyhpWHCxnPa4wsU99mNTBkZwbOrE8sBTsSmx1ijgBwkSfy-au3c#la85iyi4sh6ci23012r

I had sympathy for McLean and his stance till his jokes about history lessons etc. 

Still think it’s his choice regarding wearing it but I honestly don’t care what abuse he gets anymore. 

2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I had sympathy for McLean and his stance till his jokes about history lessons etc. 

Still think it’s his choice regarding wearing it but I honestly don’t care what abuse he gets anymore. 

I’m just pro choice , irrespective of what it is really . Anything forced on people isn’t ok in my book . This story crops up every year . Next it’ll be “ Muslims not wearing poppies “ or such like . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m just pro choice , irrespective of what it is really . Anything forced on people isn’t ok in my book . This story crops up every year . Next it’ll be “ Muslims not wearing poppies “ or such like . 

Anything to drive clicks eh? It’s tiresome. 

Maybe I don’t read papers as much as I used to but it does seem a bit more subdued this year at least. 

3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Anything to drive clicks eh? It’s tiresome. 

Maybe I don’t read papers as much as I used to but it does seem a bit more subdued this year at least. 

Yes funny you should say that but that’s the only story I’ve seen regarding those not Wearing them yet…. Don’t get me wrong I am not opposed to poppy wearing but against enforcement of it , or the stigmatising and abuse of those who don’t wear them for whatever reason .