Jump to content

What is woke and how does it impact you?


Smithee
 Share

Recommended Posts

Smithee

It's another one that gets brought up everywhere, it's a big problem apparently.

What is woke though and why is it such a problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Smithee

    38

  • Led Tasso

    25

  • JudyJudyJudy

    47

  • Dawnrazor

    55

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ray Gin

Being 'woke' was originally a term for someone who was simply attentive and tuned in to important issues and social injustices etc.

 

However, as is always the case in the Twitter realm, there are lots of militant, extreme examples who go out of their way to be offended by absolutely everything and kick up a massive fuss about trivial things. Now 'woke' is associated with people like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Being 'woke' was originally a term for someone who was simply attentive and tuned in to important issues and social injustices etc.

 

However, as is always the case in the Twitter realm, there are lots of militant, extreme examples who go out of their way to be offended by absolutely everything and kick up a massive fuss about trivial things. Now 'woke' is associated with people like that.

 

Not exclusively though, I saw a tweet saying the commonwealth games opening ceremony was woke nonsense, are they meant to celebrate the subjugation of these countries?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Woke having or marked by an active awareness of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those related to civil and human rights:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

 

Nailed it in one 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Being 'woke' was originally a term for someone who was simply attentive and tuned in to important issues and social injustices etc.

 

However, as is always the case in the Twitter realm, there are lots of militant, extreme examples who go out of their way to be offended by absolutely everything and kick up a massive fuss about trivial things. Now 'woke' is associated with people like that.

Couldn't have put it better. 

 

Originally a great concept about acknowledging that different groups of peoples have different needs , views, opinions, life experiences and we need to think about this and be empathic  and sympathetic  to this. 

 

However it has now been sabotaged by extremists who DEMAND not argue or debate issues.  Thought policing really. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Gin
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

 

Not exclusively though, I saw a tweet saying the commonwealth games opening ceremony was woke nonsense, are they meant to celebrate the subjugation of these countries?

 

Ah yes, bigots will consider anything that is politically correct or inclusive of other cultures as being "woke nonsense".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

 

Originally a great concept about acknowledging that different groups of peoples have different needs , views, opinions, life experiences and we need to think about this and be empathic  and sympathetic  to this. 

 

 

I'd just describe that as being a decent human being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Woke having or marked by an active awareness of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those related to civil and human rights:

It's a term I'm only aware of due to spending too much time on Twitter but it annoys me that it's become a weapon. That thick turd Suella Braverman launched her ill-fated campaign for Tory leadership by vowing to get rid of all this "woke nonsense".

 

I fully get that there are some who spot injustices in every crevice of conversation and will knit their lentils in protest but, by and large, those who get referred to as 'woke' by the gammonati are just people who don't like seeing other people getting picked, bullied on or otherwise put at a disadvantage. i.e. decent folk who give a shit about others.

 

10 minutes ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

This is excellent, although I can't say I've come across anyone describing themselves as woke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
18 minutes ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

 

Haha. And that's the bullseye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
19 minutes ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

 

Does neither - just a regular jkb arsehole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with bring woke as long as you don't lose your sense of humour imo

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
Just now, Hansel said:

Nothing wrong with bring woke as long as you don't lose your sense of humour imo

 

 

I quite like the thought of annoying gammon 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

iantjambo
35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Being 'woke' was originally a term for someone who was simply attentive and tuned in to important issues and social injustices etc.

 

However, as is always the case in the Twitter realm, there are lots of militant, extreme examples who go out of their way to be offended by absolutely everything and kick up a massive fuss about trivial things. Now 'woke' is associated with people like that.


A prime example is, Gary Lineker being forced to delete this tweet after the English ladies winning the Euros.

 

 

99D6E1A1-4ECA-41D6-A58F-E94F982BEAC6.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Just now, iantjambo said:


A prime example is, Gary Lineker being forced to delete this tweet after the English ladies winning the Euros.

 

 

99D6E1A1-4ECA-41D6-A58F-E94F982BEAC6.png

 

Oh man, not that story. This stuff is so predictable. He wasn't "forced" to do anything. A handful of tweets took an issue with what he said (we're talking like maybe 3 people on Twitter) so he chose to delete it and explained a small misunderstanding. That's all. It's absolutely nothing. Some tabloid runs with it because tabloids are so good now at knowing what drives engagement on social media. And then the system goes into overdrive. A few stiffs shouldn't have complained, he shouldn't have deleted it, it certainly shouldn't be news, and I shouldn't even be commenting on it 😄. And around and around we go...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

Can’t stand woke folk.

 

Oh.

 

:oopsoops:
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

iantjambo
7 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

 

Oh man, not that story. This stuff is so predictable. He wasn't "forced" to do anything. A handful of tweets took an issue with what he said (we're talking like maybe 3 people on Twitter) so he chose to delete it and explained a small misunderstanding. That's all. It's absolutely nothing. Some tabloid runs with it because tabloids are so good now at knowing what drives engagement on social media. And then the system goes into overdrive. A few stiffs shouldn't have complained, he shouldn't have deleted it, it certainly shouldn't be news, and I shouldn't even be commenting on it 😄. And around and around we go...


But he clearly felt he had to. Which is exactly the point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:


But he clearly felt he had to. Which is exactly the point.

 

Maybe. But even at that it's a nothing event. It doesn't show anything. We all do this kind of thing all the time. When we're with people face to face and we say something that doesn't land or looks like it made people uncomfortable, we usually go "oh, sorry, didn't mean that, came out wrong, let me try again". That's all he did. Except when Gary Lineker says something on twitter he's saying it to millions of people. Which is of course a well known problem online - many don't act like they do in real life. Few people in real life would notice they upset someone and say "well I don't care, I'm sticking to what I said so ****jng deal with it". 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Victorian

A bogus construct perpetuated by cretins and arseholes with anti-social,  fascist tendencies who attempt to denigrate the opinions and motives of people they don't agree with.  A bogus and dishonest self-justification of obnoxious attitudes by creating categories of people to be vilified that don't exist.

 

Slime being slime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who believe there are two kinds of people in this world and those who are smart enough to know better.”

Tom Robbins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

 

:spoton:

 

Extremists on both ends of the scale are trying to make this whole bullshit culture war into something it's not.

 

Ostensibly, "woke" just means "acknowledging that racism, sexism and other bigotry is rife in society and actively working to make sure you're not part of it"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

 

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

 

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

 

:icon14:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

A bogus construct perpetuated by cretins and arseholes with anti-social,  fascist tendencies who attempt to denigrate the opinions and motives of people they don't agree with.  A bogus and dishonest self-justification of obnoxious attitudes by creating categories of people to be vilified that don't exist.

 

Slime being slime.

 

image-23-10-21-06-58-16.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Dan Wootton is forever using the word ‘woke’ in derogatory fashion and Dan Wootton is a fat, odious, nonce-faced shite so I’m with the woke brigade 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

 

Oh man, not that story. This stuff is so predictable. He wasn't "forced" to do anything. A handful of tweets took an issue with what he said (we're talking like maybe 3 people on Twitter) so he chose to delete it and explained a small misunderstanding. That's all. It's absolutely nothing. Some tabloid runs with it because tabloids are so good now at knowing what drives engagement on social media. And then the system goes into overdrive. A few stiffs shouldn't have complained, he shouldn't have deleted it, it certainly shouldn't be news, and I shouldn't even be commenting on it 😄. And around and around we go...

Aye, tabloids must have dozens of "journalists" who just spend their days trawling through the Twatter posts of celebs/sports stars/pop stars/politicians etc ........ looking for "storm in a proverbial" spats with their followers so they can amplify it on tomorrow's front page.

 

Multi-millionaires inventing stuff to argue about online  just so they get even more publicity and features in Hello mag.  Its all utter b0ll0cks.  As was all that Wagatha sh1t.   

 

No idea who's gammon or who's woke - they merge into one, at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

 

Maybe. But even at that it's a nothing event. It doesn't show anything. We all do this kind of thing all the time. When we're with people face to face and we say something that doesn't land or looks like it made people uncomfortable, we usually go "oh, sorry, didn't mean that, came out wrong, let me try again". That's all he did. Except when Gary Lineker says something on twitter he's saying it to millions of people. Which is of course a well known problem online - many don't act like they do in real life. Few people in real life would notice they upset someone and say "well I don't care, I'm sticking to what I said so ****jng deal with it". 😄


Don’t forget that the Sun and the Mail

don’t like the BBC so for them it’s any excuse 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Dan Wootton is forever using the word ‘woke’ in derogatory fashion and Dan Wootton is a fat, odious, nonce-faced shite so I’m with the woke brigade 

You usually hear the same types talking about 'woke nonsense' in the media.

 

They're generally the types that thought Brexit was a great idea, Rwanda is a brilliant plan etc etc. 

 

They're predominantly absolute fuds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You usually hear the same types talking about 'woke nonsense' in the media.

 

They're generally the types that thought Brexit was a great idea, Rwanda is a brilliant plan etc etc. 

 

They're predominantly absolute fuds. 

Thanks for including the get-out clause :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ulysses

A few years ago the term "politically correct" was popular with losers and saddos, mainly beta male incel types who really needed to improve their lot in life (and everyone else's) by getting lives and maybe even occasionally having sex while another person was participating.  Embarrassed by how easy it was to spot them by their use of this term, they replaced it with "woke", and now you can't say anything at all.  Literally.  Not.  A.  Single.  Thing.

 

Just saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

A few years ago the term "politically correct" was popular with losers and saddos, mainly beta male incel types who really needed to improve their lot in life (and everyone else's) by getting lives and maybe even occasionally having sex while another person was participating.  Embarrassed by how easy it was to spot them by their use of this term, they replaced it with "woke", and now you can't say anything at all.  Literally.  Not.  A.  Single.  Thing.

 

Just saying.

 

This did make me lol. "Can't say anything nowadays". It's always a laugh how, without fail, the ones who shout the loudest about free speech never have anything interesting to say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geoff Kilpatrick

My only problem with "woke" is when someone described as "woke" tries to make others conform to what they believe in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Led Tasso

It started with a song popularized by Erykah Badu, written by a friend of hers whose name I can't bring to mind. The primary hook of the song is the repeated response line during the chorus of, "I'd stay woke." The thrust of the song is that of someone suffering from exhaustion and frustration with the state of the world, and that if she could, she'd "stay woke" to injustice and work against it. But that that's hard.

 

To be clear, Badu herself is an extremely odd duck and subscribes to some rather disturbing outlooks on the world that I don't fully understand, but ultimately it was the hook (popularly misunderstood as "I stay woke"), and particularly in the mid-teens became part of Black vernacular American English, often in the phrase, "get woke!" In response to the 2016 election debacle when a lot of white folks like me were stunned by how virulently racist and reactionary so much of the country got so fast, it had a very brief moment in the sun as a word that people actually used seriously, mostly with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, about remembering to stay awake to stuff that may not be in your face. But really, its actual usage in that form was prevalent for like a year.

 

Then the reactionary aresholes got a hold of it and started throwing a fit about "wokeness," a neologism entirely of the right wing's construction. In that form, it came to mean any kind of means of telling right wing assholes to stop being such assholes. As such, it joins an extremely long lineage of garbage terms thrown around to try to demonize the idea that you might not want to be an insufferably rude and uncaring jackass, such as "SJW," "virtue signalling," "PC," "hating America," all the way on back to "n***** lover" and beyond.

 

Nobody, but nobody, is still going around saying, seriously, to "get woke." That was seriously like 6-8 months in 2017. Anyone talking about "wokeness" and why it's terrible is pretty much someone who's been told they were being a jackass and they don't like it, or concern trolls who make money by speaking to very powerful people telling them that they're the real oppressed ones. It's totally a scam at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vlad Magic

I had no idea about the term “woke” including its origins and meaning.

 

Enlightening thread. Heard the term used many times without having a clue so thanks for the education.

 

We live in a strange world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

chuck berrys hairline

"Go woke or go broke"

 

Hundred of examples of businesses going down this route. But once you open the hatch theres always someoene more woke than you who ends up calling your business practices out and gets you shut down. They are an insecure rabid bunch of losers. The blue hair and rainbow flags help weed them out for us normal thinkers. Hypocrisy sitting there on their smart phones and laptops built on slave child labour, utter 💦💦💦💧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

"Go woke or go broke"

 

Hundred of examples of businesses going down this route. But once you open the hatch theres always someoene more woke than you who ends up calling your business practices out and gets you shut down. They are an insecure rabid bunch of losers. The blue hair and rainbow flags help weed them out for us normal thinkers. Hypocrisy sitting there on their smart phones and laptops built on slave child labour, utter 💦💦💦💧

Yes eventually end up eating each other, metaphorically 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Led Tasso
11 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

"Go woke or go broke"

 

Hundred of examples of businesses going down this route. But once you open the hatch theres always someoene more woke than you who ends up calling your business practices out and gets you shut down. They are an insecure rabid bunch of losers. The blue hair and rainbow flags help weed them out for us normal thinkers. Hypocrisy sitting there on their smart phones and laptops built on slave child labour, utter 💦💦💦💧

 

Funny, I'd always heard it as "go woke and go broke." Which never seems to be the case either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Costanza
21 hours ago, Ulysses said:

A few years ago the term "politically correct" was popular with losers and saddos, mainly beta male incel types who really needed to improve their lot in life (and everyone else's) by getting lives and maybe even occasionally having sex while another person was participating.  Embarrassed by how easy it was to spot them by their use of this term, they replaced it with "woke", and now you can't say anything at all.  Literally.  Not.  A.  Single.  Thing.

 

Just saying.

Exactly. Woke is just the rebranding of Political Correctness Gone Mad.

It's usually used in conjunction with fulmination about Lefty Lawyers.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

 

Well that’s me convinced. A tweet from a despicable little fud. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well that’s me convinced. A tweet from a despicable little fud. 

 

😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ulysses
50 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Political Correctness Gone Mad.

 

Or Suggs campaigning for minority rights - Madness Gone Politically Correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambos_1874

In terms of how this new era of wokeness affects me, it is almost exclusively at work. I am ultra careful with what I say, particularly around those of the younger generation I.e. early 20s. Some of the most innocuous (IMO) things that others have said at work have been called out and raised as an issue when I know for a fact that they said it completely innocently and probably without even considering that it might offend someone. It is right that we are more aware of these issues and of course it's important that we don't offend people, but it can't go so far that you have to watch everything you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Costanza
6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

 

Or Suggs campaigning for minority rights - Madness Gone Politically Correct.

Ha ha

Reminds me of the joke. "What's the first sign of Madness. Suggs walking up your driveway "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeffros Furios

On another thread a poster says we need a new progressive song as a national anthem(Scotland)

There's seems a need by some on  the left to continually use the word progressive as if to show how inclusive they are .. I feel its a wee bit ott and maybe woke ? 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"These people are too sensitive! You can't say anything these days"

"Anyone who says anything nasty about the UK is a terrorist"

 

:gok:

 

Who's the more easily offended?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seymour M Hersh

Woke is why the $90million Batwoman movie (filmed in the weej btw) will never see the light of day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...