What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

On 15/09/2022 at 13:09, Gizmo said:

It's sad that some people, mostly young men, seeking some sort of guidance or path in their lives latch onto this guy. Just because he uses a lot of words does not mean he offers anything of substance whatsoever.  

Holds some very dubious views and courts controversy because it pays. Another right-wing grifter. 

He definitely does hold a lot of dubious views and does seem to thrive on the controversy. He's gotten into crying a lot too lately, which is an uncomfortable watch.

However in a world where young people, particularly lads, are written off and rubbished before even starting on their path, he is a voice that at least sounds like it hasn't given up on them completely. There aren't a lot of high profile commentators around who are offering that hope instead of lazily labelling them all sorts of chronic pish. 

Edited by the posh bit

7 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

He definitely does hold a lot of dubious views and does seem to thrive on the controversy. He's gotten into crying a lot too lately, which is an uncomfortable watch.

However in a world where young people, particularly lads, are written off and rubbished before even starting on their path, he is a voice that at least sounds like it hasn't given up on them completely. There aren't a lot of high profile commentators around who are offering that hope instead of lazily labelling them all sorts of chronic pish. 

The world's always written off and rubbished young people, particularly lads!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s pretty ridiculous. Of course there’s an imbalanced power dynamic between a prisoner and a prison guard.

I understand the rationale to an extent but it’s a shocking place to be in. Are we only allowed white prisoners to be shown with white or minority guards now? 

A Boy Named Crow
On 16/09/2022 at 02:17, Sooks said:

Every one from Unison to Seventeen Magazine toes the same line on that one and say it is important to create and inclusive environment and as a mark of respect to their right to choose

I have not added mine to my staff bio and I already mentioned about my LinkedIn ……………. It is not really some thing that irks me to any great degree though

I have silently watched mutual friends go at each other on the subject on social media though and it clearly invokes strong opinions in both directions

Kind regards,

Sooks (He/Him)

:oohmatron:

2 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

That’s pretty ridiculous. Of course there’s an imbalanced power dynamic between a prisoner and a prison guard.

I understand the rationale to an extent but it’s a shocking place to be in. Are we only allowed white prisoners to be shown with white or minority guards now? 

Those having an issue with it saying that it’s just a stereotype ? When I recently had a brief stint of therapy again . I spoke about how sometimes I preferred being in  “ straight “ company compared to ” gay “ company .  I said that sometimes gay company can be bitchy and harsh and “ soulless “ ( I stressed sometimes “ )  I then apologised to the therapist for maybe making a homophobic comment ? He said “ your experience is your experience , stereotypes tend to have some basis “ ! 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Does this extend to black actors being unable to get roles in films and on TV in which they might portray criminals?

Maybe they can get white actors to “blackface “ and play those parts then ? 😎 I dunno 

Judy he / him / her / she / master / mistress / lady / lord / reverend / Dr 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Dick Dastardly
39 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Bunch of pussies 🐈‍⬛ 

It was the suggestion of diversity quotas for accents that made me chuckle! 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It was the suggestion of diversity quotas for accents that made me chuckle! 

Madness ! 

59 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“Self I’d “ as “ disabled “ how insulting to

disabled people 

How would you know? Have you asked a disabled person if they feel insulted?

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

How would you know? Have you asked a disabled person if they feel insulted?

I’m disabled and I’m insulted . 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean you speak for them all.

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean you speak for them all.

Probably the majority who suffer daily pain , etc would agree with me . 

5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Can I self-identify as disabled so I can park where I fancy?

Self-identifying is feckn mental. 😆

Wait till they start with “ age “ is just a concept . I wonder what could possibly go wrong ? 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Wait till they start with “ age “ is just a concept . I wonder what could possibly go wrong ? 

I want my pension now, I identify as 67 and disabled so should get some sort of extras

11 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Probably the majority who suffer daily pain , etc would agree with me . 

Maybe, but we're talking about people with disabilities here.

34 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I want my pension now, I identify as 67 and disabled so should get some sort of extras

Just email Nicola ! She will authorise it . Tell her you also identify as female and disabled too , throw in your an Indy supporter too 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's not you identifying as disabled is it?

Hence you can’t identify as disabled . You either are or aren’t . Tell Nicola that 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hence you can’t identify as disabled . You either are or aren’t . Tell Nicola that 

I'm in receipt of health related benefits and am no longer able to work, but I don't identify as disabled 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Smithee

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm in receipt of health related benefits and am no longer able to work, but I don't identify as disabled 🤷‍♂️

Medical professionals and DWP would disagree.  It's no shame to be " disabled". Its not a weakness. 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Medical professionals and DWP would disagree.  It's no shame to be " disabled". Its not a weakness. 

Would they? I couldn't tell you the last time I heard the term used away from here.

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Medical professionals and DWP would disagree. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Would they? I couldn't tell you the last time I heard the term used away from here.

Well, it's certainly used to assess whether someone is entitled to " disability" related benefits not " health" related benefits.  

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You know full well what the issue is here .  Stop trying to be wide again. 

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I admire this statement, sorry James, we are all differently abled.

Its very much a contrast to the poster on another thread who blames his parents and wants money from health professionals, when just maybe he would see a difference if he stopped blaming everyone and worked with them.

Edited by Captain Slog

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You know full well what the issue is here .  Stop trying to be wide again. 

You're getting offended on behalf of disabled people, that's what my issue is.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're getting offended on behalf of disabled people, that's what my issue is.

No I’m getting offended cause I’m disabled and I know many other disabled people would feel this too . 

12 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I admire this statement, sorry James, we are all differently abled.

Its very much a contrast to the poster on another thread who blames his parents and wants money from health professionals, when just maybe he would see a difference if he stopped blaming everyone and worked with them.

Don’t be sorry I can see where he is coming from by reframing his disability as more “ health issues “ as “ disability “ has negative connotations to it sadly in our society . But I don’t mind using it as it’s pretty accurate in describing me as I’m less “ able “ than able bodied people , I feel no shame stating that 

A Boy Named Crow
20 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“Self I’d “ as “ disabled “ how insulting to

disabled people 

It's not insulting in the slightest. I have a couple of things that could be classed as disabilities. I don't 'iself dentify' as disabled on any HR forms though, and most of the time nobody would know any different. I therefore wouldn't usually be eligible for support etc because as far as HR are concerned i don't have a disability. Other folk are different and would decide to identify as disabled. They are the people referenced here.

What do you find insulting about this?

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow
16 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Not true, you can have disabilities without that being a pillar of your identity. If someone has disabilities they may choose to flag them,  therefore self identifying. Lots of people don't do this though,  including me.

Not everyone who's disabled self-identifies as disabled.

Not everyone who self-identifies as disabled isn't disabled.

But those who self-identify as disabled, but aren't, are what Judy is getting at I think. 

Personally I'm with @Ron Burgundy, I want to know how I go about self reporting for something that will enable me to stop working. Maybe I can self-identify as having broken my back at work so I can receive a large payout and live out my days playing golf.

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not everyone who's disabled self-identifies as disabled.

Not everyone who self-identifies as disabled isn't disabled.

But those who self-identify as disabled, but aren't, are what Judy is getting at I think. 

Personally I'm with @Ron Burgundy, I want to know how I go about self reporting for something that will enable me to stop working. Maybe I can self-identify as having broken my back at work so I can receive a large payout and live out my days playing golf.

I reckon self identifying as the rightful king is the way ahead. Is it really any more spurious than any other monarch's claim???

Edit: Able bodied people scamming the system was not the point in the speech, and Judy knows this!

Just now, A Boy Named Crow said:

I reckon self identifying as the rightful king is the way ahead. Is it really any more spurious than any other monarch's claim???

As tempting as it is, I could do without the fanfare on the first tee. I get nervous enough as it is. Even as king, 100s of pro v1s into the clubhouse window would get costly.