What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not everyone who's disabled self-identifies as disabled.

Not everyone who self-identifies as disabled isn't disabled.

But those who self-identify as disabled, but aren't, are what Judy is getting at I think. 

Personally I'm with @Ron Burgundy, I want to know how I go about self reporting for something that will enable me to stop working. Maybe I can self-identify as having broken my back at work so I can receive a large payout and live out my days playing golf.

That’s it . I wasn’t very clear . 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not everyone who's disabled self-identifies as disabled.

Not everyone who self-identifies as disabled isn't disabled.

But those who self-identify as disabled, but aren't, are what Judy is getting at I think. 

Personally I'm with @Ron Burgundy, I want to know how I go about self reporting for something that will enable me to stop working. Maybe I can self-identify as having broken my back at work so I can receive a large payout and live out my days playing golf.

Good luck, plenty of people with disabilities fail the assessments.

A Boy Named Crow
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s it . I wasn’t very clear . 

The implication in the speech was people who choose to disclose. The insult you detected was all in your head. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Good luck, plenty of people with disabilities fail the assessments.

Thanks, it's a mid-term plan, I'm hoping that if the self-identification movement continues it will become a bit easier in future years. Gives me time to get my handicap down...or should that be handicapable 🤔

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

As tempting as it is, I could do without the fanfare on the first tee. I get nervous enough as it is. Even as king, 100s of pro v1s into the clubhouse window would get costly.

It’s fine. Self-ID as King and a pro golfer and you’ll stripe it down the middle every time. 

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

This is pretty crass

What is? Self-identifying as disabled when not? I agree, fortunately I'm being facetious. You seemed to disagree that it was offensive earlier in the thread though.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What is? Self-identifying as disabled when not? I agree, fortunately I'm being facetious. You seemed to disagree that it was offensive earlier in the thread though.

Im not getting where he is standing or indeed sitting on this subject. 

5 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Self-identifying as disabled ffs.

Come on its Scotland. Anything goes. 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Im not getting where he is standing or indeed sitting on this subject. 

I understand the point made around people choosing not to identify as disabled, and I support that view wholeheartedly. 

I just can't fathom why anyone would take umbrage with what you were saying earlier that it's offensive to pretend to be disabled. It's not even just offensive to genuinely disabled people, it's offensive full stop imo. Maybe in a weird turn of events we're being woke and it should be okay to do so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Presuming the crass comment was aimed at me, I now don't really follow the argument. It's crass to satirically pretend to want to pretend to be disabled, but it's not offensive to actually do it? That doesn't make sense in my head.

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That doesn't make sense in my head.

Yep. It makes a mockery of those who are disabled whether they identify as it or not, for whatever reason.  Being disabled isn't a label just to jump on.  You either are or aren't. 

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I understand the point made around people choosing not to identify as disabled, and I support that view wholeheartedly. 

I just can't fathom why anyone would take umbrage with what you were saying earlier that it's offensive to pretend to be disabled. It's not even just offensive to genuinely disabled people, it's offensive full stop imo. Maybe in a weird turn of events we're being woke and it should be okay to do so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Presuming the crass comment was aimed at me, I now don't really follow the argument. It's crass to satirically pretend to want to pretend to be disabled, but it's not offensive to actually do it? That doesn't make sense in my head.

Unless I misunderstand things James isn't in receipt of any health related benefits, but identifies as disabled.

Yet he's offended, on behalf of disabled people, by the concept of identifying as disabled! 🤷‍♂️ 

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Unless I misunderstand things James isn't in receipt of any health related benefits, but identifies as disabled.

Yet he's offended, on behalf of disabled people, by the concept of identifying as disabled! 🤷‍♂️ 

I've no idea of James situation in regards to benefits, or what his disability is so I can't really comment on it.

I just find the idea of faking disability offensive. I also agree with you that my posts were crass, but intentionally so to amplify that point of why I find it an offensive thing to do and also the potential issues of people being able to just self identify as whatever they wish...as if it becomes recognised legally there are societal and moral implications. Maybe I am just genuinely being thin skinned about it though.

Anyhow, it's not a hill I'd like to die on so will bow out. I just think it's poor patter to pretend to be disabled, and also I apologise if I pushed the satire too far to make that point.

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

potential issues of people being able to just self identify as whatever they wish...as if it becomes recognised legally there are societal and moral implications

Yes where will it end ? That my concern. 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

How do you know when James' plane has landed at Edinburgh Airport?

When the pilot cuts the engines the whining doesn't stop.

Would you FFS stop sounding like a moany whingy old geezer looking for a cloud to yell at?

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

How do you know when James' plane has landed at Edinburgh Airport?

When the pilot cuts the engines the whining doesn't stop.

Would you FFS stop sounding like a moany whingy old geezer looking for a cloud to yell at?

No 

DE0B68DC-57E6-4C17-8EB4-EDAF7E83B870.jpeg

22 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No 

DE0B68DC-57E6-4C17-8EB4-EDAF7E83B870.jpeg

More than 40 years ago, my English class at school had a teacher who liked to portray himself as being whatever the "down with the kids" of the era was called.  Middle-class, well-read, with a lot of views that would have been seen as a bit trendy and liberal in what was a grey, dull and very conservative Ireland.

One day, for reasons that are too complicated to go into, the discussion in class referenced Oscar Wilde.  One of the lads noted that something on the course had notes about meaning that didn't make reference to Wilde's sexual orientation, and went on to say that in Ireland it wouldn't be wise to refer to that in the exam.

Cue apoplexy from our hip and trendy English teacher.  Almost purple with rage, he lectured us for 10 minutes about how vile and disgusting Wilde was, and how unacceptable and filthy homosexuals were.  He finished his rant by telling us he never wanted to hear such gross perversion mentioned in his class again.

When he was finished, another fella in the class asked "Wilde was a homosexual.  It influenced his writing.  Why is it not OK to say that?"

His reply?  "It is evil.  It should never be discussed.  If we let it be discussed, where will it end?"

So, James, when you ask "where will it end?", you're on his side, not mine. 

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

More than 40 years ago, my English class at school had a teacher who liked to portray himself as being whatever the "down with the kids" of the era was called.  Middle-class, well-read, with a lot of views that would have been seen as a bit trendy and liberal in what was a grey, dull and very conservative Ireland.

One day, for reasons that are too complicated to go into, the discussion in class referenced Oscar Wilde.  One of the lads noted that something on the course had notes about meaning that didn't make reference to Wilde's sexual orientation, and went on to say that in Ireland it wouldn't be wise to refer to that in the exam.

Cue apoplexy from our hip and trendy English teacher.  Almost purple with rage, he lectured us for 10 minutes about how vile and disgusting Wilde was, and how unacceptable and filthy homosexuals were.  He finished his rant by telling us he never wanted to hear such gross perversion mentioned in his class again.

When he was finished, another fella in the class asked "Wilde was a homosexual.  It influenced his writing.  Why is it not OK to say that?"

His reply?  "It is evil.  It should never be discussed.  If we let it be discussed, where will it end?"

So, James, when you ask "where will it end?", you're on his side, not mine. 

You do know that Wilde did procur sex with teenage lads who were from the lower classes ? Used them for his own carnal lust ? Let’s not over glamorous him . Yes a great writer , which influenced his writing . Your story is very much false equivocation. 

30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You do know that Wilde did procur sex with teenage lads who were from the lower classes ? Used them for his own carnal lust ? Let’s not over glamorous him . Yes a great writer , which influenced his writing . Your story is very much false equivocation. 

James, if you had five lifetimes you still wouldn't have enough time to climb over or walk around the total quantity of what I know, so stop with the silly questions.

My English teacher didn't give a crap about how Wilde behaved.  All he needed in order to hate him was his filthy, vile, disgusting, perverted and unacceptable homosexuality - his words, not mine.  That's all the *******s ever need.

Don't be like him.  Don't be a dog-whistling fash masquerading as Mr Modern, James.  

31 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

James, if you had five lifetimes you still wouldn't have enough time to climb over or walk around the total quantity of what I know, so stop with the silly questions.

My English teacher didn't give a crap about how Wilde behaved.  All he needed in order to hate him was his filthy, vile, disgusting, perverted and unacceptable homosexuality - his words, not mine.  That's all the *******s ever need.

Don't be like him.  Don't be a dog-whistling fash masquerading as Mr Modern, James.  

How pompous and arrogant . 

32 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

🤣🤣🤣 c'mon tae **** man!!!!

A Boy Named Crow
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I'm having one last try at this,  then I'm out. 

The video you were offended by, where did it contain any reference to able bodied people identifying as disabled? It's been explained here a few times what it means for a disabled person to identify, or not to identify as disabled. 

What specifically about the content of the video (not the content of your imagination) did you fend offensive? 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

How pompous and arrogant . 

Thank you control, engines powered off - but wait, what's that whining sound? :unsure: :whistling: 

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Thank you control, engines powered off - but wait, what's that whining sound? :unsure: :whistling: 

Old joke from this side of the world.. 

When the Poms (English) are coming over for the Ashes,  how do you know which plane they're on?

When it parks at the gate and shuts down the engines,  the loud whining continues!

Only thread I can think of where to place this . Wearing a poppy should be a choice , not compulsory and no one should be condemned for not wearing one . Military fought and died for free speech and democracy ( at least that’s what I hope they did ) . This issue crops up every single year 

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/paul-mescal-graham-norton-show-poppy-20221105?source=facebookstatic&fbclid=IwAR0YOGp7YGZU7HK1vGcYhpSP6K7_IzddfXaiXpKiBxQs3a3t5ZY1oUkuT_8

henrysmithsgloves
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Only thread I can think of where to place this . Wearing a poppy should be a choice , not compulsory and no one should be condemned for not wearing one . Military fought and died for free speech and democracy ( at least that’s what I hope they did ) . This issue crops up every single year 

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/paul-mescal-graham-norton-show-poppy-20221105?source=facebookstatic&fbclid=IwAR0YOGp7YGZU7HK1vGcYhpSP6K7_IzddfXaiXpKiBxQs3a3t5ZY1oUkuT_8

The local staunch brigade have hijacked that and the lest we forget for their own personal gain here, totally sickening 🤬🤬 they even have a separate memorial garden for allegedly one off their own. 🤬🤬

Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

The local staunch brigade have hijacked that and the lest we forget for their own personal gain here, totally sickening 🤬🤬 they even have a separate memorial garden for allegedly one off their own. 🤬🤬

Agreed.👍

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

What's this?

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

What's this?

True ,war memorial been in village since 1938, seemingly not good enough,so a new one was built. Peeved a fair few off

henrysmithsgloves
10 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

True ,war memorial been in village since 1938, seemingly not good enough,so a new one was built. Peeved a fair few off

Sorry meant 1921🙄

Was this for the centenary of 1918, or perhaps the original memorial in 1921 - if so I can't see why it would cause offence.

However I don't which area you refer to, I can understand that if there is large Irish Republic descent population nearby how they could weaponize it.  Its something that should be done with input from all communities to be sensitive.

Sorry, i just picked up the word separate in your post.  I think i understand more now.  This is so sad.

Is very reminiscent of the Japanese far right and their shrines.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Captain Slog said:

Sorry, i just picked up the word separate in your post.  I think i understand more now.  This is so sad.

Is very reminiscent of the Japanese far right and their shrines.

There's three memorials,the laird paid for the first one for his son. KIA Boer war,second 1921,went on later to include those lost in WW2,my father fought with the authorities to get those lost in the Korean conflict included on that one, also an airman lost in the gulf. Later on the staunch put in their own memorial garden elsewhere in the village. It's more the feeling those who paid the ultimate sacrifice are second class,even more so looking presently at the state of the older memorials....very sad 

23 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Old joke from this side of the world.. 

When the Poms (English) are coming over for the Ashes,  how do you know which plane they're on?

When it parks at the gate and shuts down the engines,  the loud whining continues!

I stole that one.  :laugh: 

New Town Loafer
On 05/11/2022 at 17:05, JudyJudyJudy said:

Come on its Scotland. Anything goes. 

We really are in a race to the bottom.

New Town Loafer
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So, what is woke exactly?

Hard to come up with an exact definition, but it's essentially uber-politically correct, (usually) middle-class, self-loathing, hypocritical bored wankers who pretend to be offended about things.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

So, what is woke exactly?

Like other words and phrases it's changed for some from it's origional meaning.

1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

Hard to come up with an exact definition, but it's essentially uber-politically correct, (usually) middle-class, self-loathing, hypocritical bored wankers who pretend to be offended about things.

Words have exact definitions though, why is this one hard to define?

In the absence of something more specific, it sounds like anything that doesn't fit in to how gammons see the world. 

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Like other words and phrases it's changed for some from it's origional meaning.

Undoubtedly. So what does it mean now?