*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Just now, Gordon Ramsay said:

😂😂😂

I would accept Snodgrass, yes. 

However, from the interviews given and the ambition Savage was showing in the summer I think most people, myself included, thought we would do better than a 35 year old who played 5 times for Luton last season. 

Maybe Savage thought that too. I think he’s still in credit at the moment regarding our signing policy. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Wonder if 'Snoddy' will wear a Celtic top under his kit, like he admitted he did when training with Rangers?

BTW we need to set our sights higher than a semi-retired player who cant get a game for Luton.

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Maybe Savage thought that too. I think he’s still in credit at the moment regarding our signing policy. 

I'm sure he'll come out and say we've put a lot of hard work in, as been chasing Snodgrass for months and delighted to get it over the line.

12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

. Its to provide some short term cover and help us with squad depth. Something I feel Snodgrass will do well. 

Agreed, a reactionary signing after the Boyce injury (even though we should have strengthened further in the window)

I would understand if the reasoning was bringing a bit of experience to the European games, but it's not.

We really need to increase the pace and energy in the league.

6 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

BTW we need to set our sights higher than a semi-retired player who cant get a game for Luton.

Except he played in their last 8 games of the season including 90 minutes in their Championship Play-Off semi. 

I'm not saying he's going to be an incredible, out of this world signing but he's clearly still got what it takes to perform at our level if he was playing for a team at the top end of the Championship just 2 months ago.

Edited by Jamboross

Gordon Ramsay
5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I'm sure he'll come out and say we've put a lot of hard work in, as been chasing Snodgrass for months and delighted to get it over the line.

Don't forget thanking the board to get the deal done. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

Stop gap signing someone who is able to hit the ground running. Also brings international and Premier League experience. Not a whelm signing due to his age but a common sense signing considering the current team and injuries. 

9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I would understand if the reasoning was bringing a bit of experience to the European games, but it's not.

We really need to increase the pace and energy in the league.

We need a player who can find a pass forward and pick out a striker. He'll tick that box

5 minutes ago, Rods said:

Stop gap signing someone who is able to hit the ground running. Also brings international and Premier League experience. Not a whelm signing due to his age but a common sense signing considering the current team and injuries. 

Spot on 

1 minute ago, liam11 said:

If everything went to plan this window it wouldn’t be a signing we’d be making. But given where we are just now, it makes sense

Correct we wanted players that simply weren’t an option at the end, snodgrass doesn’t make the team worse, he adds extra depth and quality for a season. Don’t see any negatives in a signing like this 

4 minutes ago, liam11 said:

If everything went to plan this window it wouldn’t be a signing we’d be making. But given where we are just now, it makes sense

Exactly.

But why let that get in the way at moaning eh

4 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Funny AF nicking him from under well's noses :rofl:

Motherwell fans were desperate to sign him 😄

FWIW I think he’ll do a good job till the end of the season 

he will give us that quality in midfield similar to the job Jim Bett did for us that one season in the mid 90s

8 minutes ago, liam11 said:

This for me.

He gives another option of someone who can play in the number 10 role.

If we were to offer a year with the potential of a second depending on fitness and success it’s a fairly sound move.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

According to Anderson, we're after snodgrass. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. How disappointing has our recruitment become?

A loan from Wigan and a 35 year old without a club.

We laughed at h1b5 for doing something similar.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I didn’t imply we would have him 10 years ago. I implied we need a no.10 who will be able to keep up the sort of pace, pressing and acceleration that he would have had at that time. And that it’s understandable that people have doubts over a 35-year-old’s ability to do that. But I also said I’d take him, not sure why that bit was ignored.

You riding two horses at the same time - again?

RustyRightPeg
43 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Calling it a barrel scraping approach then saying it’s a signing you like

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, suds66 said:

I'm sure that went through our managements mind

:rofl:

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Deviskan said:

my memory isn’t clouded…Steven McLean was godawful.

He was an utter welt as well. 

50 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Further proof to me that Savage is a bit of a waffler and didn't really have any grand plan in the transfer window. 

Just scrambling about trying to pick up anything. 

Having said all that I think he could be useful for a season or so. 

See to be fair, I think Savage, I think he's maybe just found out first hand how challenging a spot we are in.

How I see it is: to sign players good enough to get you 3rd in Scotland is a doable target, in terms of the quality of player needed versus the stature of the club, we're in a favourable place. To sign players to get you significantly further ahead in 3rd versus the rest and can put in performances in Europe, the quality of player needed means we're not in as favourable a place versus the other teams competing in that market for those players. I'd guess we're missing out on players at a substantially higher rate than before. Perhaps Savage just didn't realise how savage the market would be (excuse the pun). 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

From my days on football manager clubs can make 1/2 changes a few days before the first match, which may be why signing is happening today.. could be complete rubbish though.

On Snodgrass, watched a game on Sky with Luton earlier in the year and he ran the show.  Small sample but he should have more than enough quality left to make an impact if hes fit.

I'm quite the FM man myself and I was thinking this too. Not sure If it's legit though. Hope so! He would be a real coup!

Edited by Negan

17 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Funny AF nicking him from under well's noses :rofl:

9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Motherwell fans were desperate to sign him 😄

FWIW I think he’ll do a good job till the end of the season 

he will give us that quality in midfield similar to the job Jim Bett did for us that one season in the mid 90s

We’ll probably spend the time until the next window discussing whether Snodgrass is better than Moult and who got the better steal.

That is, if we were ever interested in Moult of course.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Well aye, because we still want enough players to have a strong domestic campaign. 

You'd be the first one on here moaning if we got pumped because of a lack of cover in one position or another. 

Do you honestly think that's the point I'm making?

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You riding two horses at the same time - again?

No, I said I’d take him, but not overly excited by the prospect. I also answered someone who asked why people weren’t happy about it, and speculated as to the reasons - other people - might not be happy about it. Go find a straw man debate somewhere else for once. And try and read a post in its entirely before you do, so you don’t look as stupid.

40 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

If we can get 45 - 60 mins out of him it’s a no-brainer for me. 

Seems a waste of a year’s contract if that’s the case…

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

No, I said I’d take him, but not overly excited by the prospect. I also answered someone who asked why people weren’t happy about it, and speculated as to the reasons - other people - might not be happy about it. Go find a straw man debate somewhere else for once. And try and read a post in its entirely before you do, so you don’t look as stupid.

Oh dear. I've been scolded by the teacher.

You'll have to bloody take him (if he signs) whether you like it not!

2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

This place is brilliant.

'sign someone to cover for injuries' 

*Hearts sign someone to cover for injuries*

'naw, no him, sign somebody else and sign them last week!'

Agreed ! Glass half full, Glass completely empty 

Short term signing but we badly need someone in that area with the injuries & we could do much worse than an EPL seasoned veteran with 28 Scotland caps to his name

21 minutes ago, suds66 said:

We haven’t and never will duck our sisters thank you very much.

This is the thing. It’s after the window, so we know it’s not as if Snodgrass is taking a place in the squad that we might have gotten someone else to fill. So he’s a bonus. Will he make the team better? Yet to be seen. But we need more cover, and as long as he can operate as a no.10/AM or one of the front 3, then it’s an area that needed more bodies. He had quality, here’s hoping he still possesses it. I’m still a bit ‘meh’ about it, but hopefully it works out.

Fire_At_The_Disco
8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Seems a waste of a year’s contract if that’s the case…

Ok Kevin Bridges I’m pishing myself 🥴

I'm happy with this.

I wish folk could somehow manage to get over what we didn't do when the window was open and move on.

The reality now is that shoring up the squad with unattached players who aren't eligible for the Conference is all we can do.

If Snodgrass does sign it will fill a gap in our starting XI's for league games and, perhaps, allow us to rest other guys. That will help surely help our cause in Europe.

There's very little point now in going over old ground.

LarrysRightFoot

He’s a very good footballer (great delivery, which will hopefully be a weapon). Is he past his best? Yes. However, he brings a wealth of top level and international experience - and hopefully game management.  

It’s early days for Grant I know but I’d have Snodgrass in ahead if him.  

Think he'll do a job, decent addition... hopefully brings something for us in Europe too albeit in a non-playing capacity.

I wonder if he regrets holding out for other options until after the opportunity to play in Europe with us passed.

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Further proof to me that Savage is a bit of a waffler and didn't really have any grand plan in the transfer window. 

Just scrambling about trying to pick up anything. 

Having said all that I think he could be useful for a season or so. 

Not true. We know of 3 players that would have been good for us that we chased aggressivley but were knocked back. There would likely have been another 2 or 3 that knocked us back. 

At that point he moves to the next on the list and we gor Humphrys. We coukd have signed Snodgrass ages ago but clearly tried many other targets higher on the list first. 

Hearts are in a really difficult spot in that we are trying to sign players who are better than we have and that is not easy. 

1 minute ago, JAYEL said:

Are we getting Scarf above head today ?.

Would think so. In Edinburgh finalising deal, or words to that effect, is what’s being reported. Another on pitch welcome, like Kiomourtzoglou, on Thursday.  

4 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

He’s a very good footballer (great delivery, which will hopefully be a weapon). Is he past his best? Yes. However, he brings a wealth of top level and international experience - and hopefully game management.  

It’s early days for Grant I know but I’d have Snodgrass in ahead if him.  

It's a kick in the balls for Grant, if we're panic signing a 35 year old to take his place in the team after 5 games.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***